Subject: ACTION ALERT: ABC News
From: James Yorton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 18:29:53 -0600 (CST)

SUMMARY:

For the second straight day, ABC News World News Tonight has
used the term "practicing homosexual".  Such a term implies choice.

They are doing a 3 part series on homosexuality and the church
in their America Agenda segment.  The American Agenda reporting itself is
fair and accurate and certainly tells our side.

However the anchor, Peter Jennings, has continually used the term
"practicing homosexual" when doing the introductory piece.  He is
clearly referring to a non-celibate gay man or woman.   The story
has to do with ordaining [sic] "practicing" homosexuals into the clergy.

ACTION:

Please call ABC News in New York at (212) 456-7777.  Ask the operator
for their viewer response line, which is a voice mail system.  This
allows you to leave your own message in your own voice.  (I do not know
their FAX number or their email address.)

Tell them that homosexuality, like heterosexuality, isn't something one
"practices".  If Peter Jennings means non-celibate or sexually active,
then say so.

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
_____________________________________________________________________________