Subject: Be on TV!/Watch live call-in Specials!/Hotline: 818/771-7690
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 1995 20:40:12 -0400

________________________________________________
24-HOUR AUDIO PRESS RELEASE/HOTLINE: 818/771-7690
________________________________________________
This eMail contains a short program note, as well as an encore presentation
of one of my columns, entitled "PROMO HOMO...WITHOUT APOLOGIES..."

________________________________________________
PROGRAM NOTES:
________________________________________________
On my next two live call-in shows (Century Cable Channel 3 - L.A. Metro
Area):

Saturday, October 21st - 11:30 a.m. - "Coming Out HIV+".  A local media
personality will be disclosing their HIV status and discussing the importance
of doing just that.  A representative from APLA will be on the show as well,
to discuss political action in the fight against AIDS.

Saturday, October 28th - 11:30 a.m. - "T.Q. Q&A"  Nicholas Snow will be
addressing recent accusations that he is exploiting the gay and lesbian civil
rights movement for his own fame and fortune.  The entire show will be
devoted to viewer calls.  If you have an opinion about queers in the media,
or about Tinseltown's Queer!, call and express yourself on live T.V.  No
questions are off limits.

Continental Cablevision Viewers (Los Angeles Region) can watch Tinseltown's
Queer! for an hour, Fridays at 11:00 p.m. on Channel 28.

United Artists Viewers can watch Tinseltown's Queer! for an hour, Saturdays
at 11:00 p.m. on Channel 46.
______________________________________________
BE ON TV
______________________________________________
BE ON TINSELTOWN's QUEER 1995 Halloween Special!  On the night of October
31st, between 8:00 and 10 p.m., Nicholas Snow and his crew will be at the
intersection of San Vicente Blvd. and Santa Monica Blvd., taping interviews
with people in costume.  IF YOU WANT TO PLUG YOUR ORGANIZATION, DROP BY TO
TAPE A PSA, EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT IN COSTUME!

________________________________________________
Encore Presentation of "PROMO HOMO...WITHOUT APOLOGIES"
________________________________________________
Copyright 1995 by Nicholas Snow, All Rights Reserved

Nicholas Snow is...
TINSELTOWN'S QUEER!
"News, Commentary and Gossip, With a Political Cutting Edge."

A PROMO HOMO, WITHOUT APOLOGIES...

 Do you know what your dreams are?  Are you following them?  Or are you
caught up in the day-to-day struggle of simply getting by?  Do you feel
self-actualized?  Are you making a difference?  Are you aware of your own
personal power?...  These are important questions for us all.

 As a senior in High School in Flagstaff, Arizona, in 1980, I fantasized
about being an actor, as I had throughout childhood.  While in high school, I
starred in the requisite school plays and served proudly as the president of
the FHS Drama Club.  I spoke of going to the Royal Academy of Dramatic
Arts...some day.  I thought about moving to Hollywood...some day.  But I
wasn't following my dreams that day.  I felt compelled to pursue a
"responsible" career--to get a degree that I could use "to support myself."
 After all, it would be impractical for me to have a degree in theater,
right?

 I DID take the safe route, the supposed secure course of action, and
 majored in communication and marketing.  I graduated from college in 1985
and put my dreams of being an actor on the back burner.  Yet, because of my
involvement in the lesbian and gay movement, and because of having people in
my life who were (and are) living with AIDS, I began to honor my dreams a
little bit more because I began to realize more fully that life is happening
NOW.

 One day, I was walking past the Lee Strasberg Theater Institued in West
Hollywood as I had done many times before, but this time I stopped.  I looked
through the large glass windows at the dozens of 8x10 glossies on the wall.
 I glanced over at the Marilyn Monroe Theater and listened to "Candle in the
Wind" in my mind.  This time I did not deny myself--I walked into the school
and asked about audition and admission procedures, and I made an appointment
for an interview which took place a few days later.  I thought, "Maybe I can
actually study with the greats.  Maybe I can walk in the footsteps of Dustin
Hoffman and Al Pacino."

 During my personal interview at the Institute, I was asked, "Do you think an
actor communicates truth or deceit in his or her craft?"  In answering the
question, I shared that, while the character an actor portrays may be
deceitful in words or in deed, the actor's ultimate artistic privilege is to
communicate some sort of truth about themselves or about life.  It seemed to
me that the goal of any artist (writers included), is to enlighten one's self
and others through the mystery of inspiration and self-expression.

 In the process of studying at the Institute, I became very aware and tuned
in to my own body.  You see, the first hour-and-a-half of every class was
devoted to relaxation exercises.  I learned to discover feelings and emotions
stored in different parts of my body, and I learned to express the truth
within my body, whether it be stored anger, pain, fear, joy or ecstacy.

 Sometimes I didn't want to go to class because class felt like
psychotherapy.  Sometimes I knew it would be difficult, painful and
exhausting
to identify and release my stored emotions, and I wasn't too thrilled with
the idea.  In fact, I would often detour into the 7-11 convenience store for
a donut before the Saturday class, or a candy bar and diet soda before night
classes.  At times, my choice was to stuff down my feelings with a sugar fix.

 My participation in the struggle for our civil rights and our battle against
the ravages of AIDS, including experiences with death and dying, have taught
me that my body--my instrument, my vehicle for self-expression--is very
fragile.  I could lose my instrument of self-expression at any time, without
warning.  After all, life has no guarantees.  No one knows when it is "their
time".  All I now is that I have a vehicle for self-expression right here and
right now.  I have my heart, my soul, my mind, my body, my speech, my song,
my touch and embrace with which to convey the little glimpses of truth that I
may grasp from day to day.

 I want to help create a new Hollywood, which in turn, can help create a new
world, by simply expressing its truth.  There are probably more gay men and
lesbians in the entertainment industry than any other (except for high tech).
 Yet, Hollywood is so resistant to speak the truth about gay men and
lesbians...the celluoid closet and all.  Tragically, most lesbian and gay
entertainers are withholding the truth of who they are.  They are not
speaking OUT, with few exceptions.

 I know that if I don't speak out--for lesbians, gays and bisexuals; for
people with AIDS; and for those who are hungry, poor and oppressed; using my
instrument of self-expression to share my experience, strength and hope--that
I'm a part of the problem, not the solution.  We are all accountable and
responsible for the well-being of the planet and its people.  If we are not
fighting AIDS, we are causing AIDS.  If we are not fighting discrimination,
we are causing discrimination.  If we remain in the closet, then we are
responsible for the continuing oppression of Queers everywhere.  THERE IS
ABSOLUTELY NO MIDDLE GROUND.

 Yes, I am a promo homo, full of myself, because I know no other way to be.
 I am Queer, hear me roar!   We are all accountable for the evolution of
humankind.  So please, EXPRESS YOUR LIFE FORCE while you still can, and don't
put off your dreams until tomorrow, because Silence does = Death, and Action
does = Life.  With love, TQ.

  Nicholas Snow, aka "TInseltown's Queer!", is the producer and host of the
syndicated cable television show by the same name, the purpose of which is
twofold: "To examine and strengthen the relationship between the
entertainment industry and the Queer Civil Rights Movment--and to provide a
media platform for issues pertinent to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and
transgendered community--thereby positively impacting the movement itself."
 Now in its third year of production, the comercially-sponsored and public
access versions of "Tinseltown's Queer! reach almost half a million Los
Angeles-area households on a regular basis.  In addition to producing his
show, Snow is pursuing a comprehensive entertainment career as a
self-described
"actor-writer-singer-songwriter-publisher-columnist-activist-diva."
_________________________________________

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PASS THIS ALONG THROUGH CYBERSPACE, THE WORLD WIDE WEB,
ETC.
_________________________________________

CONDITIONS FOR PUBLICATION and/or RE-DISTRIBUTION (modified 10/95).

This is a FREE, periodic, syndicated column, distributed electronically via
the
internet, available to any interested print publication or on-line user.
 Although this material is copyrighted by the author, you are hereby granted
permission to print (only in newspapers or magazines--no books) and
distribute (electronically) this column on a one-time-per-column basis.

EDITORS/PUBLISHERS:  Please feel free to edit the column for length or
timeliness, as it may simply be too long for your particular publication.  IF
YOU PRINT OR REDISTRIBUTE THIS COLUMN IN
ANY WAY, YOU  MUST LEAVE THE FINAL PROMOTIONAL PARAGRAPH(s) INTACT (That's
why this column is free), and you must send a copy of each issue which
contains the column to Nicholas Snow, The Tinseltown Queer, 7985 Santa Monica
Blvd., Suite 450, West Hollywood, CA  90046.

IF YOU WANT A BLACK & WHITE HEADSHOT TO ACCOMPANY THE COLUMN, PLEASE EMAIL
YOUR REQUEST AND MAILING ADDRESS TO [email-masked].