From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 94 14:47:45 EDT

GLAAD MEDIA WATCH 

for  SEPTEMBER 15, 1994

By  AL KIELWASSER

QUEER FALL PREVIEW !

The new television season is upon us, heralded by the much-anticipated 
video bible -- the "Fall Preview" issue of TV Guide. To augment TV 
Guide's annual tips and touts, here's the scoop on three programs to be 
especially watchful over in the coming season.

1.  Melrose Place.  The gay character played by actor Doug Savant will 
be back, but it's unlikely that "Matt" will evolve beyond the non-sexual 
token he has been since the series began.  Last season, the FOX network 
refused even to show Matt kissing a date goodnight.  
 
This season, Matt will meet up once again with the gay sailor he met some 
months ago. However, the program's heterosexist double-standard will 
likely continue; on Melrose Place, only straight people will be allowed 
to kiss or cuddle before the cameras.  In the September 16 issue of 
Entertainment Weekly, Sandy Grushow, President of FOX TV, explained the 
homophobic policy:  "There is a line that, when one crosses it, a company 
suffers financial hardship.  We are not interested in suffering that 
hardship."  
 
In other words, FOX is willing treat lesbians and gay men as second-class 
citizens, as long as it makes a buck.  Comments on this cowardly greed 
can be sent to Sandy Grushow, President, FOX TV, P.O. Box 900, Beverly 
Hills, CA 90213.  

Melrose Place has the potential, the power and--presumably--the good will 
to do something positive for our community.  Keep the pressure on by 
sending copies of your letters to Aaron Spelling, Darren Star, and Duke 
Vincenti, Executive Producers, Melrose Place, Spelling Enterprises, 5700 
Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, 90036.

2.  Roseanne.  The progressive sit-com could strike another blow for 
queer visibility by letting young "D.J." come out of the closet. Instead, 
Executive Producer Rob Ulin has adamantly denied rumors that D.J.'s 
character will reveal he's gay this season.  So why not?  Ask Rob Ulin, 
Executive Producer, Roseanne, c/o Carsey-Werner Co., 4024 Radford Avenue, 
Bldg. 3, Studio City CA 91604.

3.  My So Called Life.  This new series has graced television screens 
with the nation's first continuing queer teen character on network  
television.  So far, the series has been well-received and widely-praised 
for its ground-breaking portrayal of a bisexual boy. Send encouraging 
feedback to Edward Zwich and Marshall Herskovitz, Executive Producers, My 
So Called Life, c/o ABC Entertainment, 2040 Avenue of the Stars, Los 
Angeles, CA 90067, tel. 310-557-7777.  Copy your letter to Ted Harbert, 
President, ABC Entertainment, at the same address.     

SONY CENSORS

Owners of the big electronic billboard in Times Square have refused to 
air gay public service announcements.  The Sony Video 1 billboard has 
rejected two paid public service announcements submitted by video artist 
Edgar Barens.  Entitled "Why Not Love?/Get Used To It," the spots 
denounce violence and promote acceptance of gay love by contrasting shots 
of two men fighting with images of the same two men kissing.  Edgar 
Barens was informed by Sony 1 Video Network Account Executive Tom 
DeTulleo that the spots were "too controversial" and "could be construed 
as pro-homosexual."
 
Express your billboard-sized outrage to Evelyn Ackley, NY Bright Lights 
Corp., Sony, 1 Sony Drive, MD 1E6, Park Ridge, NJ 07656-8003, 
tel. 201-930-6426. 

ON MY MIND IS OFF THE SHELF

The American Civil Liberties Union of Kansas and Western Missouri is 
currently fighting a censorship case involving the book Annie on My 
Mind.  In Olathe, Kansas, the school board and superintendent, Dr. Ron 
Wimmer, have ordered the book removed from the shelves of the city's 
public high schools.  As a result, Annie on My Mind has been officially 
banned at the Olathe East and the Olathe South High School libraries 
since December of last year.   

Annie on My Mind is an award-winning juvenile romance novel by Nancy 
Garden that tells the story of two young women who fall in love and must 
confront hostile and intolerant reactions from friends and relatives.  At 
an ACLU news conference this March, Stevie Case, Olathe East High School 
student body president and lead plaintiff in the ACLU's case, commented:  
"This is an inappropriate attempt to ease controversy through the 
suppression of information.  Political expedience does not excuse the 
abridgment of the most basic rights of citizens as affirmed by our 
Constitution."

In addition to questioning the book banning, the ACLU is also challenging 
the school district's decision to prevent one student from distributing 
pamphlets in school concerning the censorship of Annie on My Mind.

To find out more about the lawsuit -- Stevana Case et al. v. U.S.D. no 
233, Johnson County, Kansas et al. -- contact Shelley Eck, ACLU/Kansas 
and Western Missouri, 706 W. 42nd St., Kansas City, MO 64111, tel. 
816-756-3113.  Complaints can be registered directly with Dr. Ron Wimmer, 
Superintendent, Olathe School District, 1005 S. Pitt, Kansas City, KS 66061. 

MEDIA BRIEFS

* Look the Other Way will be an hour-long documentary that explores how 
children form their attitudes towards lesbians and gay men during the 
elementary school years, and the role schools should play in the 
process.  The producers are currently seeking information, stories, 
insights, and suggestions from progressive educators around the country 
who are concerned about these issues.  Please contact Debra Chasnoff or 
Helen Cohen at Women's Educational Media, 2180 Bryant St., Suite 203, San 
Francisco, CA 94110, tel. 415-641-4616, fax 415-641-4632.

* From A Secret Place is a new 40-minute video about lesbian and gay 
teens; for more information, call Fanlight Productions at 800-937-4113.

* "Culture Wars" is a new on-line information clearinghouse about the 
radical right for journalists and activists.  For details, contact 
AlterNet, 77 Federal St., San Francisco, CA 94107, tel. 415-284-1420, fax 
415-284-1414, e-mail 71362,27 CompuServe.

WE MUST CONFRONT HOMOPHOBIA TO CURE IT!  TO NOTIFY THE GAY & LESBIAN 
ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION OF ANY DEFAMATORY MEDIA COVERAGE CALL OUR 
DEFAMATION HOTLINE AT 415-861-4588 OR WRITE TO GLAAD/SFBA, 1360 MISSION 
STREET, SUITE 200, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94103; FAX, 415-861-4893.

SEND ITEMS FOR THIS WEEKLY REPORT TO THE ATTENTION OF "MEDIA WATCH" AT 
GLAAD/SFBA OR E- MAIL TO [email-masked].  WHEN APPROPRIATE, 
ATTRIBUTIONS FOR ITEMS USED SHOULD BE MADE TO AL KIELWASSER AND/OR 
GLAAD/SFBA.  AS ALWAYS, WE GREATLY APPRECIATE COPIES OF ANY PUBLICATIONS 
THAT USE ALL OR PART OF THE "MEDIA WATCH."  

THANKS FOR YOUR CONTINUING INTEREST IN GLAAD'S WORK!