Subject: THIS WAY OUT 08/24/98 RUNDOWN (#543)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 02:17:53 EDT

**********************************************************
THIS WAY OUT  Rundown
Program #543  
(Distributed 08/24/98)
     **********************************************************
Opening Teases/Theme Music/Intro Continuity
....................................................  1:10

SEGMENT #1 -  NewsWrap:  Sri Lanka`s national lesbigay group lobbies for
repeal of the country`s harsh sodomy law;  police can`t stop what may be the
first same-gender wedding in Nepal, but 3 bills against lesbigay and
transsexual marriages are introduced in the Philippines Parliament;  a
Canadian federal court judge rules that gay & lesbian civil servants` domestic
partners must be included in the same health benefits category as married
spouses, while the Washington Post is the latest U.S. employer to extend
health benefits to domestic partners of its gay and lesbian workers;  the
highest court in the Australian state of Queensland rules that because a
lesbian complainant had not engaged in 12 months of heterosexual activity she
failed to meet established medical criteria for the artificial insemination
services a clinic had denied her;  Venezuela`s Supreme Court pushes the
military to comply with its January order to improve the medical treatment it
provides for HIV-positive personnel;  U.S. Presbyterians allow limited tenure
for an "irregularly" ordained openly-gay elder, while Scotland`s top Anglican
bishop Richard Holloway eschews a pending political candidacy to continue
lobbying the Church of England from within;  a campaign of homophobic
harassment forces openly-lesbian Port Adelaide Enfield, South Australia city
councilor Savannah Considine`s resignation;  Elton Jackson, suspected in a
series of a dozen murders of gay men in Virginia since 1987, is found guilty
of one of them, with the jury recommending life in prison;  failed finances
forces Virginia lesbigay monthly publication "Our Own" to stops the presses
after 22 years;  prolific openly-gay Paris-born U.S. author Julian Green dies
at the age of 97;  and a heterosexual New Haven, Connecticut couple is being
married by a minister and a rabbi in their home state of Oregon but won`t make
it legal as a protest against the ban on same-gender couples being able to do
so -- but their dog Karibu will (presumably legally?) still be the ringbearer
[compiled 
 CINDY FRIEDMAN, with thanks to BRIAN NUNES, JASON
LIN, GRAHAM UNDERHILL, MARTIN RICE, CHRIS AMBIDGE, REX WOCKNER, GREG GORDON &
LUCIA CHAPPELLE, and anchored by CINDY FRIEDMAN & LEO GARCIA]
.....................................................  10:55

SEGMENT #2 -  Billboard for Gay Games Closing Ceremonies coverage [:05]  +
"TWO" I.D. by Terrance Stamp ("Bernadette" in "The Adventures of Priscilla
Queen Of The Desert") [:20]
..............................................................................
...........................   :25

SEGMENT #3 -  GAY GAMES 5 came to a rousing conclusion on August 8th with its
traditional gala Closing Ceremonies, held at The Netherlands` Amsterdam Arena.
Thanks to our broadcasting buddies from PlanetOut Radio and their live online
`netcast [anchored by JOHN McMULLEN, KEN VINCENT, and BBC Radio 5 Live "Out
This Week"`s REBECCA SANDLES], This Way Out`s concluding coverage of this
quadrennial queer event samples the sounds of those final festivities via
comments by a few of the participants, Gay Games 5 official Mik Vonderspecht,
Amsterdam Mayor Schelto Patijn, and Sydney, Australia Deputy Mayor Henry Sang
(pitching the appeal of 2002`s Gay Games 6 in his city), music by Yulian Loko,
The Weather Girls, Matilda Santig, The Three Degrees and others, and
reflections on the triumphs & tribulatons of the 8-day international
celebration of sports, culture & camaraderie ......................... 14:55

CLOSING CREDITS/CONTINUITY
..............................................................................
........  1:25

TOTAL PROGRAM TIME
..............................................................................
.................. 28:50
     ================================*=================================
                                          STATION PROMO COPY:

ANNCR: NEXT TIME ON "THIS WAY OUT",  GAY GAMES 5 CLOSES CEREMONIOUSLY
 
WITH MUSIC, CAMARADERIE AND RELFECTIONS ON THE WEEK`S DUTCH TREATS 

AND TRIBULATIONS ... IN OTHER NEWS, SRI LANKA`S "COMPANIONS" JOURNEY TO 

SODOMY LAW REPEAL ... NEPAL, CANADA AND THE PHILIPPINES CONSIDER 

QUEER COUPLES ... AND SCOTLAND`S TOP ANGLICAN WILL FIGHT THE CHURCH 

INSTEAD OF THE STATE.   

FOR THOSE STORIES, AND OTHER NEWS FROM AROUND THE WORLD, TUNE IN TO 

“THIS WAY OUT:  THE INTERNATIONAL LESBIAN AND GAY RADIO 

MAGAZINE”,  _______________________________________
                                     [DAY and TIME]

HERE ON _______________________.
                        [STATION]
   -----------------------------Please note--------------------------------
               Anyone with questions, suggestions, or NEWS stories is
encouraged to  email
                     "T.W.O." Coordinating Producer Greg Gordon at:
[email-masked]
  ------------------------------thanks! ---------------------------------
Some "THIS WAY OUT" operating expenses are funded by grants from THE GILL
FOUNDATION, THE C.P. ESTES GUADALUPE FOUNDATION, and through charitable
donations from listeners worldwide.
       ********************************************************
Now in its 11th year on the air, "This Way Out" is the multi-award-winning
internationally-distributed weekly gay and lesbian radio program currently
airing on over 85 community radio stations in 7 countries, on Costa Rica-based
global shortwave station RFPI (Radio For Peace International), and on the
Internet via Planet Out.
                             ========================================
           To hear the most recent "This Way Out" program online, go to
            http://www.planetout.com/gloradio/newsroom.html
       scroll down to the "This Way Out" description, and click on "Listen!"
                         ========================================
                                 Hungry for more frequent queer news?  
Run for coverage to the "NewsPlanet" area of Planet Out, or on America Online
via keyword: "newsplanet" for weekday text news updates, prepared by many of
the same people who bring you "This Way Out".
========================================
For lots of other information about "This Way Out" (including audiocassette
subscription information), please visit our web page at:
http://www.qrd.org/qrd/www/media/radio/thiswayout
      ********************************************************