Subject: THIS WAY OUT 08/17/98 RUNDOWN (#542)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 22:34:56 EDT

**********************************************************
THIS WAY OUT  Rundown
Program #542  
(Distributed 08/17/98)
     **********************************************************
Opening Teases/Theme Music/Intro Continuity
.....................................................    :55

SEGMENT #1 -  NewsWrap:  The U.S. United Methodist Church`s highest judicial
authority determines its policy against ministers presiding at same-gender
couple commitment ceremonies is a rule, not just a guideline, and violators
can be defrocked;  meanwhile, an Anglican priest who`s had one comes out in
Britain to protest the anti-gay positions of the recent Lambeth Conference;  a
right-wing group bombards French Prime Minister Lionel Jospin with 60,000
postcards protesting a government proposal to legally recognize same-gender
couples, while Fiji`s attorney general flatly states that the lesbigay anti-
discrimination provision of the country`s new constitution does not open the
door to legal same-gender marriages there, the San Francisco Board of
Supervisors unanimously votes to require businesses offering discounts to
married couples to provide them to domestic partners as well, and Hawai`i`s
Campaign Spending Commission makes some significant rulings involving
challenges to right-wing groups` anti-queer-marriage fundraising and
electioneering activities;  Western Australia Democrats select queer activist
Brian Grieg to be their number one candidate for the federal Senate;
Britain`s YouthSpeak makes the face of Big Ben blush a pink "16", while a U.S.
appeals court agrees with 3 Christian students that their University of
Wisconsin fees should not have to be used to support a queer campus group;
British lifer John Pilley will soon become the first prisoner to undergo sex
reassignment survery while in custody;  and for the first time in 17 years,
San Francisco`s lesbigay Bay Area Reporter has no AIDS obituaries to print
[compiled & written by CINDY FRIEDMAN, with thanks to BRIAN NUNES, GRAHAM
UNDERHILL, JASON LIN, MARTIN RICE, REX WOCKNER, LUCIA CHAPPELLE & GREG GORDON,
and anchored by LEO GARCIA and CINDY FRIEDMAN]
..............................................................................
................................. 10:40

SEGMENT #2 -  Given the breadth and scope of the 8 days of GAY GAMES 5 in
Amsterdam, the largest athletic event in the world -- and the limited airtime
of this program -- it`s impossible for "This Way Out" to provide anything
close to "comprehensive coverage".  What this sound collage attempts to do,
however, is suggest a sense of the ups and downs of this massive event by
sampling the daily coverage of the Games offered online by PlanetOut Radio,
featuring reports by JOHN McMULLEN, KEN VINCENT, REBA HARRIS, TOM RIELLY and
BRIAN BASINGER at venues ranging from women`s basketball and men`s and women`s
rowing to equestrian, track & field and swimming events.  Some of the
controversies accompanying the Games are also touched on, including charges of
discrimination against transgendered people and the accomodations problems
created by disputes between local and U.S. & Australian travel agencies, with
a special focus on the changes necessitated at several of the ice skating
competitions -- especially pairs ice dancing -- because of the rules of the
international body governing those events
..............................................................................
...................... 15:50

CLOSING CREDITS/CONTINUITY
..............................................................................
........  1:00

TOTAL PROGRAM TIME
..............................................................................
.................. 28:25
     ===============================*=================================
                                         STATION PROMO COPY:

ANNCR:  NEXT TIME ON "THIS WAY OUT", PERSONAL BESTS OVERCOME 

ORGANIZATIONAL MESS AT THE AMSTERDAM GAY GAMES ... IN OTHER NEWS, U.S. 

METHODISTS BAN GAY UNIONS, WHILE AN ANGLICAN PRIEST SAYS HE`S HAD ONE 

... ANTI-MARRIAGE FORCES PLAY THEIR TRUMP CARDS IN FRANCE ... AND BRITISH 

YOUTH ACTIVISTS MAKE BIG BEN BLUSH.

TUNE IN FOR THOSE STORIES, AND OTHER NEWS FROM AROUND THE WORLD, ON THE

NEXT EDITION OF“THIS WAY OUT:  THE INTERNATIONAL LESBIAN AND GAY

RADIO MAGAZINE”,  _______________________________________
                                           [DAY and TIME]

HERE ON _______________________.
                        [STATION]
   -----------------------------Please note--------------------------------
               Anyone with questions, suggestions, or NEWS stories is
encouraged to  email
                     "T.W.O." Coordinating Producer Greg Gordon at:
[email-masked]
  ------------------------------thanks! ---------------------------------
Some "THIS WAY OUT" operating expenses are funded by grants from THE GILL
FOUNDATION, THE C.P. ESTES GUADALUPE FOUNDATION, and through charitable
donations from listeners worldwide.
       ********************************************************
Now in its 11th year on the air, "This Way Out" is the multi-award-winning
internationally-distributed weekly gay and lesbian radio program currently
airing on over 85 community radio stations in 7 countries, on Costa Rica-based
global shortwave station RFPI (Radio For Peace International), and on the
Internet via Planet Out.
                             ========================================
           To hear the most recent "This Way Out" program online, go to
            http://www.planetout.com/gloradio/newsroom.html
       scroll down to the "This Way Out" description, and click on "Listen!"
                         ========================================
                                 Hungry for more frequent queer news?  
Run for coverage to the "NewsPlanet" area of Planet Out, or on America Online
via keyword: "newsplanet" for weekday text news updates, prepared by many of
the same people who bring you "This Way Out".
========================================
For lots of other information about "This Way Out" (including audiocassette
subscription information), please visit our web page at:
http://www.qrd.org/qrd/www/media/radio/thiswayout
      ********************************************************