Subject: THIS WAY OUT 03/31/97 RUNDOWN (#470)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 20:43:26 -0500 (EST)

*************************************************
                          THIS WAY OUT Rundown
                        Program #470   (3/31/97)

Opening Teases/Theme Music/Intro Continuity ......................  1:10

SEGMENT #1 -  NewsWrap:  An astonishing political turnabout in Tasmania
augers the repeal of Australia's last state sodomy law [includes brief
comment by The Tasmanian Gay & Lesbian Rights Group's RODNEY CROOME];  the
Australian Parliament strikes down the world's only right-to-die law in the
state of The Northern Territory;  the "Heaven's Gate" founder's internalized
homophobia seems to have fueled his search for "the next level";  Britain's
Scouting Association announces it's lifting its ban on gay members and
leaders, while the country's military moves closer to lifting its ban on
openly-queer military personnel;  a rare gay bar raid in Guangzhou, China
includes floodlights and videotape;  Poland's new constitution includes a
specific ban on same-gender marriage, but Hawai'i won't be holding a
Constitutional Convention, which proponents had hoped to use to ban lesbigay
marriages, after a state Supreme Court judge rules that while the measure
received a majority of yes or no votes cast in November, it did not receive a
majority of ballots cast (some of which were abstentions);  and homophobic
Canadian politician Roseanne Skoke trashes her electoral opponent and then
expects him to support her bid for higher office  [compiled and written by
CINDY FRIEDMAN, with thanks to BRIAN NUNES, JANE PALMER, MICHAEL SCHEMBRI,
GRAHAM UNDERHILL, MARTIN RICE, TOM RAMSEY, GARY WU, REX WOCKNER, BJOERN
SKOLANDER, LUCIA CHAPPELLE & GREG GORDON, and anchored by CINDY FRIEDMAN and
BRIAN NUNES]
..............................................................................
.. 10:40

SEGMENT #2 -  Billboard for Billy Strayhorn feature [:10]  +  A "Sex
Offenders Registry" bill now moving through Parliament has some British gay
men worried.  While the political implications (not to mention the wisdom) of
public sex have been fodder for debate within the lesbigay community for
years, Britain's unequal age of consent laws and the penalties already
enacted against some gay men there beg the question, "does the punishment fit
the crime?" DAVID COOK [from BBC Radio 5 Live's "Out This Week"] reports from
London ...........  5:30

SEGMENT #3 - "TWO" I.D. by "comic actress" Charles Pierce (as Eleanor
Roosevelt) [:20]  +  "THE LUSH LIFE OF BILLY STRAYHORN" is examined in a
recently-published biography of one of American music's least-known but most
accomplished arrangers/composers.  The legendary Duke Ellington called
Strayhorn his musical "companion", but Strayhorn chose to be privately (but
quite openly) gay to the fame and fortune a higher public profile could have
provided.  SIMEON PILLAGE talks with "Strayhorn" biographer DAVID HAJDU, and
producer ROY HURST [KPFK-FM/Los Angeles] mixes in some musical examples of
the Ellington/Strayhorn collaboration ............ 10:30

CLOSING CREDITS/CONTINUITY
........................................................  1:10

TOTAL PROGRAM TIME
........................................................................
29:00
----------------------Please note------------------------
  Anyone with questions, suggestions, or NEWS stories is
     encouraged to  email  "T.W.O." Coordinating Producer
                   GREG GORDON at:  [email-masked]
------------------------thanks! -------------------------
Some "THIS WAY OUT" operating expenses are funded by grants from THE C.P.
ESTES GUADALUPE FOUNDATION,  THE GILL FOUNDATION, and through individual
donations from listeners worldwide.
*************************************************
Transcripts and *audio* of "This Way Out" programs are now available in
cyberspace!  Visit the Planet Out site on the World Wide Web at
www.planetout.com and click on the "news & entertainment" area  (you'll also
find a direct link in the "This Way Out" area to downloading free RealAudio
software).  
Transcripts and selected soundbites are also available on AOL (keyword:
planetout).
           ========================================
                 Hungry for more frequent queer news?  
Run for coverage to the "NewsPlanet" area of Planet Out, or on AOL via
keyword: "newsplanet" for weekday text news updates, prepared by many of the
same folks who bring you "This Way Out".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For lots of other information about THIS WAY OUT (including audiocassette
subscription information), please visit our continually- updated World Wide
Web home page at www.thiswayout.org
*************************************************