Subject: "L.A.'s PRIMO PROMO HOMO" Responds to Recent On-Line Critics
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 23:57:45 -0400

THIS RESPONSE IS MY PERSONAL ACTION FOR NATIONAL COMING OUT DAY.  IT WAS
EVOKED BY A POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS MY RESPONSE.  IF YOU ARE FROM THE MEDIA,
PERHAPS THERE'S A STORY HERE.  IF YOU A FAN OF MINE OR A FAN OF MY SHOW, I
NEED YOUR SUPPORT NOW MORE THAN EVER.  IF YOU CAN'T STAND ME OR MY SHOW, KEEP
EXPRESSING THE TRUTH OF YOUR LIFE TO THE PEOPLE WHOM YOU INFLUENCE.

National Coming Out Day, 1995

I have once again been criticized for being blatantly self-promotional in my
efforts as a media activist.  I will respond as best I can and, and in the
future, I invite people to contact me directly with their comments and
complaints.  As a matter of fact, I invite people to ask me their questions
when I'm in the hot seat, on live television.

On Saturday, October 28, 1995, at 11:30 a.m., on Century Cable Channel Three
(reaching 200,000 households), I will be hosting an episode of my show
starring JUST ME (after all, that's my goal, right?).  This show had already
been in the works prior to recent opinions expressed against my
style--entitled T.Q. Q & A--to provide viewers of my show with the
opportunity to call in with comments and suggestions as to how my show might
be able to serve our movement even more.  I also invite constructive
criticism as well.  I will also be live on Century Cable Channel Three on
Saturday, Oct. 14th at noon (Stonewall Revisited/Halloween Preview) and on
Saturday, October 21st at 11:30 a.m. (Coming Out HIV+).  This past Saturday,
October 7th, I featured a live preview of the Models of Pride Conference
happening this Saturday, October 14th, at Occidental college--a very
important conference for and about issues of concern to lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgendered youth (Registration at 9:00 a.m.--call
213/341-4951).

If you don't have Century Cable, and want to know what all the fuss is about,
the hour-long, commercially-sponsored version of my show airs on Continental
Cablevision (Los Angeles Region), Fridays from 11:00 p.m. until midnight on
Channel 28, and on United Artists Cable Channel 46, Saturdays from 11:00 p.m.
until midnight.  IF YOU HAVE A BUSINESS THAT COULD ADVERTISE ON MY SHOW,
PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

My 24-Hour Audio Press Release (call to hear my theme song) can be reached at
818-771-7690.

Now, here's my response  to the recent opinions (copied into the closed of
this message) expressed.

Many people throughout the entertainment industry align with causes
specifically because they will help one's career.  In some cases, the
individual may actually care about the cause, and in some cases not.  In some
cases a celebrity or entertainer will take on a cause they believe in,
against all advice, because their belief in that cause is more important than
their career (such as Elizabeth Taylor, and her battle against AIDS and
homophobia).  These things are common practice, and sometimes involve pure
Public Relations, and sometime involve true compassion and commitment.

In my particular case, my involvement in the lesbian, gay and bisexual Civil
Rights Movement dates back to 1982, when I came out as a college student.  My
dreams of being "a Star" (or as I see it, a bright soul with a high level of
self-expression on the planet) are lifelong, but it never occurred to me that
it was possible for me.  My life process brought me to a place where I
realized that, paramount for me, is channeling my skills and ability in
support of our Movement, and in that context, I would like to fulfill my life
long dreams.  So, the way I see it, I'M LOOKING FOR A CAREER TO WRAP AROUND
MY CAUSE (exploiting myself on behalf of our movement), rather than to look
for a cause to support my career (exploiting our movement on behalf of
myself).

I have no hidden agendas that I know of.  I have been very honest and open
about the following:

1.  My goal is "to examine and strengthen the relationship between the
entertainment industry and the Queer Civil Rights Movement, thereby
positively impacting the movement itself; and to provide a media platform for
issues pertinent to our Movement." and:

2.  To become outrageously successful in the entertainment industry, proving
that it is possible to do so while being out, and proud, expressing the truth
of my life to the people who I can influence, which is why a self-promote
myself as an
"Actor-Writer-Singer-Songwriter-Publisher-Columnist-Activist-Diva."

Many people in pursuit of an entertainment career spend money on acting
classes, headshots, showcases, etc., while keeping their closets intact.

I have put MY MONEY into a project that gives me visibility; that allows me
to express my views about what's important in life; that allows others to
express their views in the media; and that raises issues for viewers and
readers, out of which comes dialogue in the living rooms of L.A., out of
which will hopefully come enlightenment.  All of this has happened in a
hostile climate of hate and bigotry, hate and bigotry that is fought with
just about every episode that I produce.

I've coined a phrase (by combining two dictionary definitions) which
describes what I am doing:

ENTREPRENEURIAL ACTIVISM:  "Assuming the risk of a business venture with the
purpose of creating political, social and economic force in the service of a
cause."

The jury's still out on whether or not I will have a career in entertainment.
 I have financed most of the 100+ episodes over the last three years out of
my own pocket.  Only in the past six months have I attracted commercial
sponsorship (BEER MEDICAL GROUP, CITYFED MORTGAGE, STEPHEN R. CLARK REALTY)
and a grant (BWB Charitable Trust--Robert S. Perkins, Executive Director),
although a national network from another country has just requested to view
my show for possible inclusion in their regular programming).

I am GUILTY OF SELF-PROMOTION.  Here is the evidence:

A.  I HAVE PRODUCED MORE TELEVISION ABOUT THE FOLLOWING ORGANIZATIONS (along
with my Co-Producer, Bob LaFont) than any other individual, organization, or
production entity:  AIDS Project Los Angeles, Gay and Lesbian Alliance
Against Defamation;  The Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Community Services Center;
 California AIDS Ride; the Black Gay & Lesbian Leadership Forum; and others.

B.  I HAVE INTERVIEWED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING INDIVIDUALS IN THE CONTEXT OF
PRODUCING MY SHOW:  Jehan Agrama (Founder/GLAAD), Gloria Allred (Civil Rights
Attorney); ANT (Actor, Comic), Christina Applegate (Activist/TV Star), Alison
Arngrim (Child Star, Actor & AIDS Activist), Bishop Carl Bean (Founder--Unity
Fellowship Churches and Minority AIDS Project), Amanda Bearse (Out Lesbian,
Actor), Mr. Blackwell (Hollywood Legend), Ivy Botini (Community
Founder/Activist) Howard Bragman (Out Entertainment PR Guru), Mary Buck (Out
Casting Director), Dan Butler (Out TV Star--Frasier), James Caan (Actor),
Scott Chambis (Out Art Director), Margaret Cho (Comic/TV Star/Activist),
Wilson Cruz (Out Actor--"My So-Called Life"), Lea DeLaria (Lesbian Comic,
Actor), Arthur Dong (Film Director--"Coming Out Under Fire") Melissa
Etheridge (Out Lesbian, Grammy Award-Sinning Rock Star), Jolie FIsher (TV
Star--"Ellen"), Gil Garcetti (Los Angeles District Attorney), Michael Goff
(Editor, OUT Magazine), Jackie Goldberg (Openly Lesbian Los Angeles City
Councilwoman), Richard Gollance (Out Producer--Beverly Hills 90210), Lauran
Hoffman (Out Filmmaker--Producer/Writer of "Bar Girls"), Tom Hulce
(Actor/Activist), Michael Kearns (Out Actor/Activist/Playwright), Morris
Kight (Longtime Community Activist/Founder), Shiela James Kuehl (Child
Star/Openly Lesbian California State Assemblywoman), Barry Krost (Out
Manager, Producer), Bob LaFont (Video Activist/Producer), Ruta Lee (Hollywood
Legend), Wendy Liebman (Comic), Judith Light (Actor, Activist), Douglas Lee
Long (Television Producer/Host--The Fresca Vinyl Show), The Lovely Carol
(Cult Hero), Yoram Mandel (Out Producer--"Parting Glances", "Grief", "Johnny
Suede"), Cheech Marin (Comic/TV Star), Armistead Maupin (Out
Writer/Activist), Debbie Mazur (TV/Film Star--"L.A. Law", "Batman Returns"),
the late Paul Monette (Writer/Activist/Community Legend), Lynda Montgomery
(Lesbian Comic), Judd Nelson (Actor), Karen Ocamb (Tireless Lesbian
Journalist), Torie Osborn (Nationally known Lesbian Activist), Philip Guy
Parks (co-founder, The Eighth Muse), Troy Perry (Founder, United Fellowhip of
Metropolitan Churches), Casendra Peterson ("Elvira, Mistress of the Dark"),
Quentin Quisp (Worldwide Gay Legend), Donna Redwing (Out Lesbian Grassroots
Organizer/GLAAD Staff), Joan Rivers (TV Star/Activist), Roseanne (Comic/TV
Star), Richard Riordan (Mayor of Los Angeles), Morgan Rumph (Executive
Director, "Out on the Screen"),  Jim Sharpe and Melissa Martinez Sharpe (L.A.
FM Radio Personalities), Luke Sissyfag (Queer Activist), Nadia Sutton
(Executive Director, PAWS/LA), Michael Szymanski (Out Entertainment
Reporter), Steve Tisch (Academy Award Winning Producer--"Forrest Gump"),
Brenda Vacarro (Hollywood Legend), the late Tom Villard (Out HIV+ Actor),
Joanie Weir (promo Lesbian), and Lee Werbel (Former Executive
Director--GLAAD/LA), and many, many more.

C.  SELECTED TOPICS ON MY SHOW HAVE INCLUDED:  "Cruising in the Queer Lane of
the Information Superhighway", "Fighting the Wrongs of the Radical Right",
various Pride Festivals, and more.

I have done all of the above in the context of living my vision for myself,
my community, and my world, knowing that silence does equal death, and ACTION
DOES EQUAL LIFE.  Some people may love me.  Some people may hate me (I know
that they do, given many of the nasty phone calls and threats I receive as a
Queer in the public eye), but...

As Louise Hay (another shameless self-promoter, who has helped millions of
people in the process) would say, "I love myself."  And if I should die
today, I know that I did not live in vein, and I will leave a mark for my
having been on the planet.  Until I do make my celestial transition, expect
me to be shameless, self-described as "L.A.'s Primo Promo Homo", having a gay
'ol time as TINSELTOWN'S QUEER!...because Tinseltown IS Queer, and so am I,
how about you?

Love,

Nicholas Snow

I invite your questions, comments and inquires:

Nicholas Snow
The Tinseltown Queer
7985 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 450
West Hollywood, CA 90046
Office:  (213) 969-0582
Fax:  (213) 969-8374
eMail:  [email-masked].
24-HOUR Recorded Information:  (818) 771-7690.

THIS IS THE POSTING FROM LA-MOTTS THAT EVOKED THE ABOVE RESPONSE:

"...I am often disturbed by the messages I receive from the
Tinseltown Queer.   Without fail, the political content of his messages --
which I usually applaud -- is wrapped up and around a clumsy and
undisguised desire for personal fame and notoriety.  

It crops up over and over again.  The prominence of first-person
pronouns, regardless of the topic being covered.  (As I recall, the quite
unsubtle subtext of the piece on Paul Monette's farewell was not that we
should be inspired by a great talent, or saddened that this voice was
silenced far too soon, but that the reader should be envious of the TQ
because HE was invited to the event and surrounded by glamorous,
famous queers.)

Each message refers to his determined drive to become a part of the
"Hollywood scene," his desire to be a star (in fact, he calls himself "a
rising media star").  We know he went to acting class -- to become a
star.  

Having now seen his TV program, I can safely say that the message
remains the same.  "Look at me, I'M talking to Melissa Etheridge.  We're
pals because we're STARS!"

It reminds me of nothing more than Dana Carvey's smug restaurant host
from the old days of "Saturday Night Live."

Then we hear about his "Open Letter..."  He sent the letter to all the
various outlets, but apparently that wasn't enough.  He wanted his letter
-- and therefore, himself -- to be publicly acknowledged.  Suddenly,
garnering public response outweighed the letter's message, so he
stripped on public access to get some reaction.  After all, what do we
see publicized in his various missives?  The fact that he's the guy who
bared it all on public access.  In fact, after all his "columns," this is the
first time I've ever seen him explain WHY he stripped (outside of the
context of the stunt itself.)

I turned this over in my mind again and again...  Is this worth starting a
public exchange?

Then I read a story in a fund-raiser magazine about how Hollywood has
defined AIDS charities as an outstanding career move.  Then I see in my
personal life how a worthwhile goal has now become just another cog in
someone's personal glory machine. 

And my answer becomes, "Yes!"

Queer rights isn't some vehicle for personal glory and fame.  If you want
to be a star -- great!  I'm 100% behind you.  If you have the talent and the
stamina and dedication, then go for it.  You can even direct your
sexuality into those efforts and do some good along the way such as
RuPaul did.

The TQ sets himself up as a representative of the queer community, and I
find that embarrassing -- that such transparent grabs for the limelight
should be pawned off as a blow for queer rights.

If you want to use my life as a stepping stone -- as a way to attract the
attention to you -- then I have a problem with that.  I'm tired of seeing
people scream queer rights and AIDS as a way to attract personal
attention and as a means of gaining notoriety and fame.  And I think the
TQ's own words show quite plainly the real point of his various media
assaults..."