Subject: ROBERTS' RULES: LONG
From: "Shelly Roberts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 22:16:26 +0000

__________________ 

ROBERTS' RULES

by 

Shelly Roberts

NON-ILLIGITIMATI CARBORUNDUM

"Every time I pick up the paper," he said. "It's bad news. He was
the third person this week I'd heard that from. Were they right?  Was
it all going to heck in a beautifully crafted, hand painted, natural
wood handbaseket.  Was the glass half empty again? Sure we'd all
gathered for Ellen Morgan's wake, and wondered what Ellen would do in
the wake. Indigo Girls were canceled from a free concert. A third of
teens queeried in a new survey said that they had tried suicide, so
that number isn't getting better.  But there must be something good
to keep us going.

So I went searching. And this is what I found:

There are 27 openly gay or lesbian candidates running for office in
the US at all levels plus the three who already won. The Declaration
of Religious Support is sponsored by the Progressive Religious
Alliance.  Support from clergy, congregations, communities of faith
and others will be publicly announced on June 1, 1998. In a unanimous
ruling, the Ontario Court of Appeal Thursday declared gay and lesbian
couples have the same rights as heterosexuals to collect spousal
survivor benefits from private pension plans. Congressional Delegate
Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.)will push for a House of
Representatives vote this year on the Employment Non-Discrimination
Act (ENDA). Gainesville City Commission passed on first reading, by
a 3-2 vote, an amended ordinance that would add sexual orientation to
the anti-discrimination code. A law proposed by New York's Mayor
Giuliani would mean that  domestic partners who register with the
city, would have the same rights and benefits as spouses in city
contracts, housing and death benefits. The Navy promotes Mcveigh to
highest enlisted rank. Philadelphia's City Council passed DP 
benefits.

And that's just this week. Here's some of what happened last year:

Federal Appeals Court Strikes Down Alabama Law Barring Gay Student
groups from Campus. Ellen" becomes the first prime-time television
program to have its main character come out as a lesbian. Texas
appeals court rules lesbian entitled to sue for visitation rights to
her ex-lover's child, providing gay partners a legal standing denied
in some other states. Walt Whitman Community School, the nation's
first private school for Gays and Lesbians, opens in Dallas. New
Jersey state court judge grants gay couple right to adopt foster child
they had been caring for for nearly two years. Federal appeals court
upholds Cincinnati voter initiative forbidding city government
extending anti-discrimination measures to gays and lesbians. Atlanta,
GA Emory University, affiliated with Methodist church, announces it
will allow same-sex couples to say marriage vows in its chapels, but
only if officiated by leader of one of 24 recognized religious groups.
Newark, NJ court decides Gay and lesbian couples now able to jointly
adopt children under state custody. Lacey, and Tumwater, WA enact
anti-discrimination ordinances protecting gays. Cobb County GA
rescinds anti-gay resolution. Openly gay congressman Kolbe (R-AZ)
chairs appropriations subcommittee. Fremont, CA schools ban anti-gay
harassment. MA jury awards man $1.2 million for anti-gay
discrimination. Travis County, Texas swears in nation's first out
lesbian sheriff. Christian Coalition denounces bombing of lesbian bar.
US AIDS deaths drop 27% in past 6 months. CA court rules student
newspaper may run ad for gay youth group. MCC admitted to Ecumenical
Council. Washington marriage ban vetoed. LAPD forced to pay $$ for
anti-gay harassment.. St. Louis enacts DP registry. NY court expands
gay parents' adoption rights. West Hollywood, CA elects gay majority
to city council. Number of gay-straight clubs at high schools up over
10 times from 1992. Gay/Lesbian liason to President gets status boost
to "Special Assistant." Arizona enacts hate crimes bill protecting
gays. RI, WA, CA, LA anti-marriage bills all fail. Catholic Church
calls homophobia a sin, says celibate gays are "holy." Michigan man
awarded 10 million in gay bashing suit. Gay candidates win municipal
elections in San Mateo and Redwood City CA, and Oak Park and Erie,
Illinois. IL court strengthens lesbian adoption/custody in state.
Court strengthens Chicago's anti-discrimination law. Court upholds New
Jersey gay civil rights law. Anti-marriage bills die in conservative
Texas and Nebraska. Santa Barbara, CA gains DP registry. Maine enacts
statewide anti-discrimination law protecting gays. First US Senator
grants DP benefits for staffers. SF 49ers,.Democratic National
Committee, Upjohn Corporation, Pharmacia Corporations,
Knight-Ridder,EDS (Ross Perot's company), Bank of America, Michigan
State ,Philadelphia Public Schools, Madison, WI public school
district, University of Alaska, U. of California system (USA's largest
state university system), University of Washington St. Petersburg, FL
Times, Chicago, Chevron Oil, Northern CA's major utility company,
Lexinton Herald-Leader, Los Angeles unified school district, City of
New Orleans, Wells-Fargo, MediaOne, Union Bank add DP benefits.
Blue-Cross, HealthNet and PacificCare add DP coverage to insurance
plans adds DP benefits. 1-3 companies add DP policies every week.
Wisconsin court upholds Madison anti-discrimination ordinance. Alabama
ban on gay school clubs struck down. More than 50 US Pride
celebrations, with several million participants. Clinton issues pride
proclamation, first ever from US President. Ohio court rules sexual
orientation should not affect adoptions. Florida court upholds lesbian
"pre-nuptial" agreement. New Hampshire enacts state-wide
anti-discrimination bill protecting gays. Colorado anti-marriage bill
vetoed for 2nd time. Historic San Francisco Domestic Partner benefits
law goes into effect. Virginia court OKs lesbian adoption. Evanston IL
expands anti-discrimination ordinance. Delaware enacts hate crimes law
including sexual orientation. Gay and lesbian weddings OK'd at Harvard
chapel. Gay and lesbian youth conference in SF largest ever. Federal
court strikes down ban on gays in US military (it is under appeal).
Montana court strikes down state's sodomy law. Connecticut bans
anti-gay discrimination in school system. Hawaii statewide DP
registry/ benefits take effect. LAPD forced to pay for anti-gay
harassment For Better of for Worse with gay subplot runs in 1000+
papers. Chicago to spend 2 million on gay neighborhood. Focus on
Family co-founder apologizes to gays. More gay characters on TV than
ever, GLAAD reports. American Psychological Association condemns
anti-gay "therapy." Florida court OKs lesbian adoption. Nebraska court
rules in favor of lesbian in custody case. MA court makes gay parents'
adoptions easier. Clinton first sitting President to attend major
gay-rights banquet. Judge in Chicago upholds DP benefits law, New
Jersey rules in favor of allowing gay couple to adopt, First openly
gay ambassador nominated by President. Gay press fastest growing ad
market for 3rd consecutive year. Mass. court rules for gay male couple
in adoption case. U. of California system (USA's largest state
university system) approves domestic partnership plan. Emory
University opens up its chapel to gay weddings. GLAAD forces re-write
of controversial scene in "The Jackal" Anti-gay Disney Boycott abject
failure, profits up record levels during boycott. North Carolina court
rules in favor of gay father in custody case for 2nd time. Georgia
Supreme Court affirms Atlanta domestic partners plan. Founder of
largest gay Christian denomination honored at White House. Gays and
lesbians big part of White House hate crimes summit. A US President
addresses gay rights group dinner, first time ever. Gay candidates win
83% (12 of 15) elections on Election Day 1997. Reform Judaism (US
largest branch) passes resolution in support of same-sex religious and
civil marriage. US Military forced to allow gay clubs in civilian
schools on overseas military bases.NJ first state to allow joint
adoption by gay couples. Duke University gives benefits to same-sex
partners of grad students. Salt Lake City bans discrimination against
gay city employees. Ypsilanti, MI passes gay civil rights law. Newton,
MA passes domestic partnership law. Pacific Exchange becomes first US
Stock exchange to offer DP benefits. Gay candidates win runoff
elections in Houston and Atlanta. Washington DC elects gay Republican
council member. Athens, OH passes gay civil rights law. Lithia Springs
GA passes gay civil rights law. University studies confirm lesbians
make good mothers.

Like I said: DON'T LET THE ILLIGITIMATI WEAR YOU DOWN.

_______________________
(C) 1998. Shelly Roberts. All rights reserved. A one-time simultaneous
print right is hereby granted to subscribing newspapers; all other
rights, including electronic or digital reproduction are reserved.
Must be reprinted only in its entirety.

Shelly Roberts is an internationally syndicated columnist, journalist
and author of the next set of Roberts' Rules: Lesbian Dating. (June
'98 Spinsters Ink.)