Subject: Roberts Rules: Innies and Outies
From: "Shelly Roberts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 15:51:16 +0000

ROBERTS' RULES
by
Shelly Roberts

Innies & Outies

Remember in the early discovery-days of your new gay or lesbian
awareness, playing "Is she or isn't he?"  It was fun, & such a
shocking surprise to discover that people you'd actually heard of--
that the world had actually heard of-- were, well, you know, like you.

Well, now being out is so common, & so special, that famous people all
over the planet are raising their h&s to be included.  Nobody who
qualifies wants to be left off our list.  

Just in case you haven't gotten around to mentioning your own status
to anyone still consuming oxygen, `cause you thought it was too lonely
& dangerous, here's just a part of a list that's grown to over 700
outies.  It was compiled by  Mark Hertzog who obviously has way too
much time on his hands. (E-mail him, not me, if you're on here and you
shouldn't be.  I'd hate to be the one to take away the privilege and
honor of being considered gay.) See Mark's required disclaimer at the
bottom.  Mine would read about the same.

Roberta Achtenberg, former Clinton Sub-Cabinet member
Mitch Adams, Massachusetts state commissioner of revenue
Edward Albee, Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright
Dorothy Allison, novelist
Giorgio Armani, Italian fashion designer
Alexis Arquette, actor
Clive Barker, British horror novelist & film director
Am&a Bearse, actress
Andy Bell, lead singer of Erasure
Mr. Blackwell, creator of "10 Worst Dressed" list 
Dirk Bogarde, actor 
Boy George, pop star 
Jim  J. Bullock, comic actor 
William S. Burroughs, novelist
Dan Butler, TV actor 
Dick Button, Olympic athlete 
Marilyn Chambers, former adult feature actress
Christopher Ciccone, artist, set designer; brother of Madonna 
Craig Claiborne, food writer 
Julie Cypher, filmmaker; life partner of Melissa Etheridge
Joe Dallesandro, actor in Andy Warhol films 
Angela Davis, professor & Communist leader 
Ellen DeGeneris, comedian
Donna Deitch, filmmaker
Andrea Dworkin, radical feminist writer & anti-pornography activist
Marianne Faithfull, British rock singer Michael Feinstein,
Grammy-nominated singer/somgwriter Jean-Paul Gaultier, French fashion
designer David Geffen, billionaire record & film magnate Sir John
Gielgud, actor Allen Ginsberg, legendary poet Matthew Hall, Canadian
figure skater Nina Hartley, Adult feature actor & feminist Bob Hattoy,
Interior Dept. official,Clinton campaign adviser Bruce Hayes, Olympic
swimming gold medallist The Hollywood Kids (John & Lance), gossip
columnists Tom Hulce, Oscar-nominated actor Janis Ian,
singer/songwriter & columnist Robert Indiana, artist Indigo Girls -
singers Elton John, pop superstar Jasper Johns, artist Holly Johnson,
lead singer of Frankie Goes to Hollywood Phillip Johnson, architect
Cherry Jones, Tony -winning actress Michael Keeley, chief operating
officer City of Los Angeles Tommy Kirk, actor in Disney films David
Kopay, retired NFL player Sheila James Kuehl, Calif. state legislator,
law prof., former Dobie Gillis star Tony Kushner, Pulitzer winning
playwright Arthur Laurents, legendary playwright, screenwriter &
Broadway director Ursula K. LeGuin, novelist Bruce Lehman, U.S. Asst.
Sec. of Commerce Chris Lowe, member of Pet Shop Boys Johnny Mathis,
singer Sir Ian McKellen, actor Rod McKuen, poet & songwriter Gian
Carlo Menotti, opera composer Christina Minna, member of Fem2Fem Isaac
Mizrahi, fashion designer Thierry Mugler, fashion designer Diane
Murphy, former child actress, played Tabitha on Bewitched George
Nader, actor & science fiction novelist Kathy Najimy, comic film & TV
actress  Todd Oldham, fashion designer Iggy Pop, British rock star
Mary Renault, novelist Adrienne Rich, poet & critic Larry Rivers,
painter & sculptor Joanna Russ, feminist & science-fiction writer Paul
Rutherford, singer, Frankie Goes to Hollywood Sonia Rutstein,
guitarist of Disappear Fear Yves Saint-Laurent, French fashion
designer May Sarton, writer John Schlafly, son of anti-gay activist
Phyllis Schlafly John Schlesinger, Academy -winning filmmaker Maria
Schneider, German-born actress Sarah Schulman, writer & activist Allan
Spear, president of the Minnesota State Senate James B. Stewart,
former Page 1 editor of The Wall Street Journal Andrew Sullivan,
editor of The New Republic magazine Terry Sweeney, comedian (formerly
of Saturday Night Live) Andrew Tobias ("John Reid"), Wall Street
Journal editor & writer Pete Townshend, rock guitarist, singer &
composer; formerly of The Who Tommy Tune, Tony-winning Broadway
singer/actor Gus Van Sant, filmmaker Gianni Versace, Italian fashion
designer Several members of Village People Linda Villarosa, editor of
Essense magazine John Waters, filmmaker

 If you're still an Innie, come on out, the company's fine
                                 ---##-----.

[BEGIN ITALIC]
American Library Association Gay & Lesbian Task Force. Sherman,
Philip, exec. ed., & Samuel Bernstein, ed.  1994. Uncommon Heroes: A
Celebration of Heroes & Role Models for Gay & Lesbian Americans.
Tarver, Chuck.  1994.  LGBT People of African Descent. Various news
reports. The Advocate & Out magazines. Information provided by various
subscribers to GayNet. [END ITALIC]

THIS IS MARK'S DISCLAIMER: While every reasonable effort has been made
to assure the accuracy of this list, it may not be 100-percent
accurate.  Please send any corrections, additions or deletions to the
compiler, Mark Hertzog at [email-masked].  If anyone has been
incorrectly identified as gay, lesbian or bisexual here, I will
correct & apologize for the error publicly & remove that person's
name.

(c) 1996.  Shelly Roberts.  All Rights Reserved. 
May be reprinted only in its entirety with written permission. 
Shelly Roberts is a nationally syndicated columnist, & 
author of Roberts' Rules of Lesbian Living (Spinsters Ink).