Subject: Fwd: "Gay Sex on Anti-Gay Sites" - by Patricia Nell Warren
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 09:50:06 -0400

******************************************************************************
*
******************************************************************************

NEWS YOU DIDN'T SEE ON TV

A commentary by Patricia Nell Warren                      
5/4/96

******************************************************************************
*
******************************************************************************
*

ANTI-GAY  SITES THAT FEATURE  GAY SEX

By Patricia Nell Warren

As the federal 3-judge panel in Philadelphia nears its decision on the
Communications Decency Act,  I wonder how some of
the more sanctimonious web sites  plan to duck the flying bullets 
of Justice Department prosecution if the CDA is okayed by the courts.
 
Recently GLAAD distributed a list of URLS where racists and religious
extremists are posting anti-homosexual  rants.  I checked them out, and was
fascinated by the luridness of some.   Naturally these orgs tend to  view
anything gay as "pornographic" and "immoral". But, in their urge to make
their enemies look bad, some anti-pornographers themselves step into what the
courts might view as a purveyance of porn.

These anti-gay postings break new ground in their fervor to "document" the
alleged nastiness and immorality of gay people.  Naturally the sites are
accessible to minors,  since it is supposedly very moral and uplifting
 for a kid  to visit these sites.

Among the churchy sites, the Pro-Life Activist's Encyclopedia is a stand-out,
published by the American Life League at
http://hebron.ee.gannon.edu/~frezza/plae/.  These people blame homosexuals
for abortion.  Author Brian Clowes has left no stone unturned in his search
for dirt  -- a number of lengthy chapters detail gay and lesbian sex acts.  
He prefaces this material with the warning that it is "extremely offensive"
-- virtually the same language that the CDA uses to outlaw "patently
offensive"
postings. Any youngster who has ever been curious about "what gays do" can
certainly find out from the Encyclopedia. 

In http://hebron.ee.gannon.edu/~frezza/plae/encyc120.html, 
the Encyl  even provides helpful information on how to do the gerbil thing --
for those of us who naively believed that it was either a myth or
logistically
impossible.  As the author of <The Front Runner> I've spend many years 
keeping up on what gay men do.  But I never yet met one who did the gerbil
thing and lived.  And all along,  the American Life League  had the inside
story!  Go figure.

With church orgs giving gay sex such a high profile, who needs the
neighborhood BBS?  

Doubtless the anti-gay ranters  believe that their lush descriptions will
terrify youthful cruisers of the Internet away from trying queer sex.  But  I
never trembled for our venturesume teenagers so much as now,  with a
religious organization telling them how to turn live rodents into sex toys. 
Gerbiling might become to the Millennium generation what panty raids 
were to my own.
 
These sites offer new food for thought on the double standards  of radical
righters who support the Communications Decency Act.   One wonders how 
our courts can condemn "obscenity" in the Safer Sex Page or Stop Prison
Rape, if this sanctimonious smut is to go on flaunting itself without a
digital fig-leaf?  
 
Indeed, if our true-blue Justice Department shuts down all the gay-owned sex
pages out there, anti-gay porn might become the hottest thing in cyberspace.

******************************************************************************
**********
Patricia Nell Warren is a former Reader's Digest editor, and author of
"The Front Runner" and other bestselling books about gay life.  Her publisher
is Wildcat Press.  Her web page can be found at
http://www.gaywired.com/wildcat/wildcat.htm

Contact information:  
Wildcat Press, 8306 Wilshire Blvd. Box 8306, Beverly
Hills, CA 90211. 213/936-3666 or fax 213/933-0999.

******************************************************************************
***********

Copyright (c) 1996 by Patricia Nell Warren. All rights reserved. 
This column may be reposted freely on the Internet -- just send us an email
to let us know where it reappears. For print media, please call
213/936-3666, or fax 213/933-0999, or email [email-masked], for express
permission to reprint.

******************************************************************************
***********