Subject: Newsletter For Gay/Bisexual Men With Disabilities
From: [email-masked] (Blaine Waterman)
Date: 10 Jul 1996 00:15:21 GMT

ABLE-TOGETHER
P O B 460053 
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94146 

Voice Mail - US: 415-522-9091/Voice Mail - UK: 01453 832782

INTERNET: http://www.well.com/~blaine/abletog.html

E-Mail:[email-masked]

ABLE-TOGETHER is a quarterly international newsletter serving gay and
bisexual disabled and disability-aware nondisabled men; A-T's Winter,
Spring, Summer and Fall issues are published out of San Francisco,
California at the end of the months of January, April, July and October.
A-T has postal subscribers across the US and in Canada, the UK and
elsewhere across the globe. You can buy A-T at certain gay/progressive
bookstores across the US, and also in the UK. 

ABLE-TOGETHER's forty-eight page Spring, 1996 issue has one hundred and
twenty five subscribers' personal contact ads listed with an expanded
editorial section seeking to discuss current and disability issues from a
perspective which emphasizes the generation of positive feeling in
interpersonal relationships. Subscribers are encouraged to contribute
letters, opinions and articles to A-T. 

ABLE-TOGETHER applies all subscription, sales and donation revenues to
production, advertising and outreach costs. A-T's international outreach
program includes sending informational materials and flyers to independent
living centers and to the disabled students' programs and the gay and
lesbian students' associations of colleges in the US and Canada; A-T
advertises in US regional gay newspapers, and nationally in publications
such as New Mobility, Advocate Classifieds and The Disability Rag, and in
Disability Now and Gay Times in the UK.

ABLE-TOGETHER full-year subscribers only may submit a personal contact ad
for publication for as long as the subscription is active; the ad may be
box#-coded for privacy; A-T does not profit from forwarding replies to
coded ads, but we do ask that responders reimburse us for our forwarding
postage costs (mostly this will be a 32 ct stamp); A-T reserves the right
to edit ads for length and content. 
                  
ABLE-TOGETHER costs $30 (£24, $A45) for a full year's first-class postal
subscription of four issues, inclusive of a personal contact ad listing at
no additional charge; this is reduced to $15 (£12, $A30) for persons with
low incomes; or you may purchase a single issue for $5 (£4, $A7.50) and
then "upgrade" to a full year's subscription.

ABLE-TOGETHER has received mention in New Mobility, in the newsletters of
the American Association of Physicians for Human Rights and of the Boston
Information Center for Individuals with Disabilities, as well as in local
gay newspapers such as the San Francisco Bay Area Reporter and All Points
North in the UK. Organizational subscribers include the World Institute on
Disability in Oakland, California, the Homodok Archives in Amsterdam, The
Netherlands and the Gay and Lesbian Historical Society in San Francisco,
California. 

ABLE-TOGETHER's voice-mail telephone numbers and e-mail are your lines to
us; we invite you to call or e-mail any questions and comments, or just to
say Hi!

***************************************************************

Excerpts from ads published in the Spring, 1996 issue of ABLE-TOGETHER
[edited for promotional use].

I'm a 32 year old para hoping to find friends, fun and just maybe a long
term relationship in these pages! I'm, 5'6", 130lbs, reddish blond and
blue eyes. I enjoy country/western music, Roseanne, my art work, sunshine,
rainy days in bed, evenings at home, laughter and smoking (oops!)Š

GWM, 40, sincereŠhandsome, dark hair, beard/'stache, blue eyesŠpower
wheelchair userŠseek friendships, mutual support, hugs, kissing, safe
times.  I enjoy computer BBS-ing, videos, music, houseplants,
volunteering, hanging outŠ

GWM 39, 6', 190lbs, br/br, mustache, nondisabled, in search of GWM 20-48
disabled who walks with crutches. I enjoy dinners, movies, videos, the
beach, amusement parks, quiet times and cuddling with that special personŠ

Attractive GBM, 30's, 6'3", 200lbs, b/k amp with a thirst for life and fun
seeks a guy or guys, anywhere, 25-55, any race, who like(s) to party,
relax and romance a littleŠ

Articulate, creative, gay Hispanic male, para, 36, 5'8", 160, honest,
goodlooking, workout boy, passionate, only semi-cynical, seeks friendship
and possible relationship with together GWM/GLatinM 25+, masculine,
in-shape, drug- and disease-free, easy to look at soulmate who enjoys a
great cup of Java and a classic foreign film. 

Caring, sensitive, BiWM, 60, in search of Mr. Right for a monogamous long
term relationship, I am disabled from an auto accident, received broken
knees, now arthritis. I am a Red Cross volunteer, and work with PWA/HIV as
a Buddy. I love camping, fishing, quiet times at home, a mountain stream
or seashore. I am looking for a compatible country type,
disabled/nondisabled. 

Non-mainstream GWM, 50, 5'8", 145#, bl/bl, simple, quiet, honest
professional, traveled performer and arts educator with very high public
profile. I am discreet, masculine, caring, sensitive and daring, a
risk-taker. Physical disability due to polio, use wheelchairŠ If you are a
40+ vital, masculine, articulate, loving man with a sense of himselfŠthen
write.

51 year old nondisabled male, 5'8", retired RCMP, solid, balding, 'stache,
healthy guy looking for same, similar or sympathetic; responsive to men
with disabilities; interests - body building (sometimes), videos, photos,
letters, cards, &c. All letters answered. [advertiser from CANADA]

ŠGWM 47, 5'11", 165-170 lbs, HIV-, with very slight cerebral palsy. I'm
looking for a guy with or without a disability in age range 37-47ŠI'm
intoŠconcerts, ballets, opera, lecturesŠmy handicap [doesn't] keep me from
doing the things I likeŠI want to meet the right guy to fillŠmy life. 

40 year old Jewish-Italian male, post-polio, bilateral leg braces, 5'3",
115 lbs, swimmer's trim upper body, dark brown hair, hazel eyes, clean
shaven. IŠtravel often to US, Europe and elsewhere. I am looking for
companionship, hot sex, long-term relationship or traveling buddyŠ

Nondisabled gay male, 33, wishes to meet disabled or nondisabled gay
male(s)Šthis 5'10", beefy, hirsute, mustached and short-bearded bear wants
to meet a man with the ability to challenge me intellectually AND
sexually; a man with a strong sense of his own identityŠ

Šhandsome, 34 year-old Bi tetraplegic male, psychology graduate, into
escaping the 'rat-race', travel, healthy food, truth seekingŠbeing naked
among nature, especially during thunder storms, and anything alternative.
I'm happily marriedŠbut need to exploreŠ[advertiser from UK]

***************************************************************

SUBSCRIPTION AND PERSONAL CONTACT AD REQUEST INFORMATION

When you decide to become a full-year subscriber to A-T you have a choice
of starting your subscription with either the currently available issue or
the next issue. Because your ad (if you submit one) will only be published
whilst your subscription is active, this choice affects the number of
times your ad can appear! This means that if you want your ad to be
published four times during your first year with A-T you should specify
that you want your subscription to start with the next issue and we need
your subscription payment and ad  before the deadline for that issue.

DEADLINES: ABLE-TOGETHER needs your ad copy by 1st July for Summer issue,
1st October for Fall issue, 1st January for Winter issue and 1st April for
Spring issue. New, renewed or changed ads reaching us after these dates
are not guaranteed to appear in the issue published at the end of that
month. We will try, butŠ

UPGRADES: If you decide to purchase a single copy of the current issue of
A-T for $5 (£4, $A7.50) you may within three months upgrade to a full-year
subscription by payment of the balance of $25 (£20, $A37.50), or $10 (£8,
$A22.50) for persons with low incomes; an upgrade form will be sent to you
with your first newsletter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------to:
ABLE-TOGETHER
POB 460053
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94146

Personal Contact Ad Request Form

Please publish the following ad while my subscription remains active:

Signed                                Date_________

I would like my ad to be:            box#-coded            uncoded       
(please check one)
(A-T recommends your ad be box#-coded unless you have a P O Box address)

Text of my ad: (include name/address/phone # as you want it to appear in
the ad) :

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
(attach separate sheet if necessary)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to:
ABLE-TOGETHER
POB 460053
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94146 

SUBSCRIPTION /ORDER FORM 

Name:__________________________________________________Date__________
            
Address:_____________________________________________________________

Phone #:_______________

_____I would like a Full-year Subscription (inclusive of personal ad)-
starting with
____the current   ____ the next issue-

I enclose _____ $30.00 (£24, $A45), or _____$15.00 (£12, $A30) low income.

_____Please send me a SINGLE ISSUE of the newsletter-

I enclose _____$5.00(£4, $A7.50)

(Jun. 96: )                           (please check as applicable)

-- 
Blaine Waterman               San Francisco, CA
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
"It's too bad all the people who really know how to run the country are busy driving taxicabs and cutting hair."---George Burns