From: Sam_Damon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 1994 21:17:17 -0400 (edt)

> yet so I'll try again...  My name is DJ and I'm trying to establish myself as
> a writer of gay fiction.  I would like to talk to other gay fiction writers
> and find out about the market for gay fiction, any books that may help me, any

I'm not a writer but here are some resources you may find helpful.  Much of
it is from "The Big Gay Book," pp 190-195.  OUT/LOOK, and The National
Writers Union/Gay Writers listed below sound especially promising.  You
might also try contacting Publishing Triangle, a group for "gays and
lesbians in publishing):  PO Box 114, Prince St Station, New York, NY 10012,
212-572-6412.  Lavendar Pen also sounds promising: Lavendar Pen, PO Box
1234, New York, NY  10276.   Good Luck.

=====================

1) WRITERS GROUPS (p194)
Anyone interested in seriously pursuing writing as a career or even as a
serious avocation should consider makign contact with one of the major
writers organization.  PEN and The Authors Guild offer many publications
that will be of great interest.  The National Writers Union is more activist
and some of its chapters have active gay caucuses.  All three have many
different resources that would be of serice to any writer in any field.
   Authors Guild - 234 W 44th St, New York, NY  10036
   National Writers Union/Gay Writers - 
          13 Astor Place, NY, NY 10003,  212-580-2206
   PEN/American Center - 568 Broadway, New York, NY  10012

OUT/LOOK sponsors Out/Write, an annual gay and lesbian writers conference. 
Send for information about future events and also the availability of
audiotapes of past presentations whose topics might be of interest to you. 
OUT/LOOK, Box 460430, San Francisco, CA  94146

Word Project AIDS is a national oroganization that's involved in promoting
writing about AIDS.  The group makes various awards and sponsors readings in
various regions.

You should contact them if you're interested in AIDS literature or if you're
interested in starting any kind of group that will be dealing with writing
and AIDS, such as a group of people living with AIDS or a study group of any
other sort.  Word Project AIDS, Box 691133, Los Angeles, CA  90069

2) SELF-PUBLISHING (p 193)
The existence of the network of gay bookstores offers a great possibility
for the aspiring author.  It's estimated that many as half of all the sales
of gay-themed book take place in these stores.  That means that, if you're
willing to cover the expense of printing, you don't have to wait for
acceptance from anyone else.  You can publish your own work.  You will have
to learn about publicity and self-promotion, but the stores make it a viable
risk, much more so than before.

It's teh technology that allows the possibility.  Besides paper itself, the
other great cost of publishing is typesetting.  With the advent of destop
publishing and with the new technology that allows some printing firms to
translate a cpomputer disk to typesetting, you can do a great part of th
work of the production of the book by yourself.

If you're interested in pursuing this option, or if you're interested in
being a book writer in any fashion, the single best text is How to Get
Happily Published by Judith Appelbaum (New York: New American Library,
1988).

3) THE PUBLISHERS  (pp 191-193)
Almost every major publisher produces at least one book every year that is
of special interest to gay men.  There are some small presses that focus on
gay publishing and a few mainstream publishers which have significant
numbers of gay books.  If you're looking for companies with sizable numbers
in gay titles, here are some of the majors.  Those firms which to have a
mail-order catalog are marked with an asterisk.  Most larger publishers do
not encourage direct mail order; their catalogs are available only to
retailers or others who will buy in large quantities.  If you;re looking for
a single title of a book from one of the publishers, you're best off
shopping through one of the gay bookstores that do encourage direct mail
order from their customers.

The American Library Association has a more complete listing of "Publisher
of Gay and/or Lesbian Books," which you can get by sending a stamped,
self-addressed envelope to: GLTF Clearinghouse, American Library
Association, 50 E. Huron St, Chicago, IL  60611.

   Alyson Publications*  40 Plympton St, Boston, MA 02118
   Amethyst Press, 6 W 23rd St, Penthouse, New York, NY 10001
   Banned Books, Box 33280, Austin, TX 78764
   Beacon Press, 25 Beacon St, Boston, MA  02108
   Calamus Press*, Box 294, Village Station, New York, NY 10014
   Canadian Gay Archives, Box 639, Station A, Toronto, ON  M5S 1V5
   Catalyst, 315 Blantyre Ave, Scarborough, ON  M1N 2S6
   Celestial Arts/Ten Speed, Box 7327, Berkeley, CA 94707
   Crossing Press*, Box 1048, Freedom, CA 95010
   Gay Presses of New York*, Box 294, Village Station, New York, NY 10014
   Grey Fox Press, Box 31190, San Francisco, CA 94140
   HarperCollins Publishers, 10 E. 53rd St, New York, NY 10022
   Harrington Park Press* and The Haworth Press*,
       10 Alice St, Binghamton, NY 13904
   Knights Press*, Box 454, Pund Ridge, NY  10576
   LIberation Books, Box 453, S. Norwalk, CT  06856
   Manroot*, Box 762, BoyesHot Springs, CA 95416
   Nal/Dutton, 375 Hudson St, New York, NY  10014
   Pink Triangle Press*, Box 639, Station A, Toronto, ON  M5W 1G2
   St. Martin's Press, 175 Fifth Ave, New York, NY  10010
   Stubblejumper Press, Box 1203, Station F, Toronto, ON  M4Y 2V8
   Summerhill Press, 52 Shaftesbury Ave, Toronto, ON M4T 1A2
   Times Change Press, Box 1380, Ojai, CA  93023

4) DISTRIBUTOR (p 192)
This is a list of companies who handle gay books and sell them to stores and
libraries.  WHile these are not gay companies, and while there are other
large distributors who do handle gay titles, these companies have made gay
books a priority:
   Alternative Distribution, BOx 29627, Philadelphia, PA  19144
   Bookpeople, 2929 5th St, Berkeley, CA  94710
   Inland Book Company, 22 Hemingway Avenue, East Haven, CT  06512

5) LISTENING TO GAY AUTHORS (p 190)
Readings are a way to help writers meet and charm their constituencies. 
Many bookstores sponsor regular readings, as do many community organization.

If you're interested in setting up a program of readings in your community,
"How to Start a Reading Series," a general, not-gay specific booklet will b
a great help.  It;s one of many publications of Poets & Writers, a magazine
and publishing house dedicated to the literary arts and publishing science. 
For more information on this booklet and others:  Poets & Writers, 72 Spring
St, New York, NY  10012

6) TALKING ABOUT GAY BOOKS
Literacy means more than just knowing about how to read.  It means
understanding the power of words and the impact of books. Many gay men
aren't brought up to read and they feel separated from the literature that's
such an important component in the creation of our culture.  One of the ways
to get more people involved in our books is to create book groups, circles
of people who regularly gather toether and discuss titles they've all read.

"How to Start a Book Group and Keep It Interesting" is a short pamphlet that
gives great tips on how to find people with common interests, arrange a
place to meet, get group discounts on titles, and many other facets of
creating an ongoing book circle.  For a copy, send $3 for the initial copy
and $2.50 for each additonal copy to:  Arbor Seminars, 3409 Newark St NW,
Washington, DC  20016.