Subject: MEDIAlert! ["A"] - 10/6 (Promise Keepers; Bent)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 15:22:36 -0400 (EDT)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
INDEX:  "MEDIAlert!" - 10.06.97 [Part "A" ONLY]

-ITEM 1:  "Promise-skewity" [Promise Keepers; Associated Press; Reuters;
MSNBC; Newshour].

-ITEM 2:  "Much Ado About Nothing" [Nothing Sacred; AFA; Catholic League;
Weight Watchers; Isuzu; Sears; Red Lobster; Kmart; ABC].

-ITEM 3:  "Crooked Ratings" [Bent; Motion Picture Association of America].

Part "B" ["Media/Briefs" and "Web Watch"] posted SEPARATELY.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

M   E   D   I   A   l   e   r   t   !
___________________________

October 6, 1997    Al Kielwasser

[1]

P R O M I S E - S K E W I T Y

The recent "Promise Keepers" rally in Washington was, if nothing else, a
victory of public relations over professional journalism.  Media coverage was
decidedly skewed toward the shallow end of the press pool.  At best, both
print and broadcast journalists glossed over the Keepers' homophobic agenda.
 At worst, they supported it.

Promise Keepers was founded nearly a decade ago by former University of
Colorado football coach Bill McCartney.  A notorious homophobe, McCartney
championed his state's "Amendment Two" -- a measure which, if successful,
would have denied basic civil rights to lesbian, gay and bisexual citizens.

In published reports, McCartney has further declared that "homosexuality is
an abomination against Almighty God."  He has regularly made even dimmer
statements, such as his contention that lesbians and gays are "a group of
people who don't reproduce, yet want to be compared to people who do
reproduce."

Similarly, in an early interview with the "Denver Post, " Promise Keepers
co-founder Dave Wardell announced that he was drawing "a line in the sand" --
to stop homosexuals, "Act Up people" and "the foreign religions coming in
here."  Under the guise of the Promise Keepers "spiritual" gatherings,
featured speakers echo this phobic party line.

At a Promise Keepers rally in Dallas, for example, evangelist Tony Evans
defined homosexuality as "immorality in the name of hell."  The official
Promise Keepers position on homosexuality is that it "violates God's creative
design for a husband and a wife and that it is a sin."

Not surprisingly, a major focus of the Washington rally was "sexual purity"
(i.e., monogamous heterosexual marriage) -- and, by extension, sexual
"impurity" (i.e., everything else).  In his keynote, McCartney again affirmed
the Promise Keepers' conviction that "the sin of homosexuality cannot be
excused."

In covering the rally, major wire services at least acknowledged the group's
opposition to homosexuality -- though almost in passing.  In a 22-paragraph
story by the Associated Press (Oct. 2), for example, paragraph 16 finally
reports that "religious leaders and academics held a news conference to vice
concerns about the Promise Keepers' message, a message some say denigrates
women and condemns homosexuals."  Homosexuals say nothing in this article,
however, as none are quoted -- and the issue is examined no further.

What "some say" is not really the point, in any case.  What McCartney and his
fellow homophobes HAVE SAID is evidence enough of denigration -- but that
evidence is missing from AP's story.

Similarly, in a 27-paragraph article from Reuters (Oct. 4), the 24th
paragraph first mentions that "the movement has aroused fear and suspicion
among some women, gays and political moderates who say that McCartney and his
followers have a hidden political agenda that is profoundly right-wing."
 Once again, no gays -- suspicious, fearful or otherwise -- are quoted in the
article.  The matter is dropped almost as soon as it is raised.

Significantly, no one needs to "suspect" the existence of McCartney's
homophobic agenda, for it is perfectly clear.  That background material was
left out of this and most other articles, however, leaving an impression that
lesbian and gay critics of the Promise Keepers are somehow overreacting  --
responding not to the reality, but to a mere "rumor" of threat.

In this absence of substantive reporting, public figures like President
Clinton were free to "applaud the Promise Keepers movement for its commitment
to family" (Associated Press, Oct. 4).  No one expected Clinton to seriously
explain his support.  He was not asked, for example, just how it is that
homophobia "strengthens our families."

Perhaps this deference to homophobia and heterosexism reached its most
pathetic heights during an MSNBC newscast, featuring lesbian journalist Donna
Minkowitz.  Remarkably, she too downplayed the reality of homophobia -- and
actually described the Promise Keepers as "a force for good."  Minkowitz
based her conclusions on undercover work she did for an article on the group,
written several years ago for "Ms." magazine.

Even public television's venerated "Newshour" failed to provide an
alternative to the rose-colored coverage.  One day after the rally (Oct. 6),
a "Newshour" segment purporting to "focus" on the Promise Keepers offered
little depth and even less diversity.

The report opened with a video review of the Promise Keepers rally, which did
(briefly) mention the group's "opposition to ... homosexuality."  This was
followed by a live discussion amongst a panel of five "regional
commentators," representing major newspapers across the country.

Not ONE commentator condemned the Promise Keepers' homophobia.  In fact, they
all seemed to overlook it -- as EACH found reasons to praise the group.

Patrick McGuigan of the "Daily Oklahoman" argued that the Promise Keepers
"are definitely a force for the good."   Robert Kittle of the "San Diego
Tribune" agreed, and suggested that the group is "part of the spiritual
renewal that's going on in this country.... a very encouraging trend."  "It
doesn't offend me a lot," Kittle said.  "This group is reaching out to all
male Americans."

Never mind GAY Americans, Kittle might have added, unless of course they can
be "saved" or "converted."  The Promise Keepers ARE indeed "reaching out" to
homosexuals -- in the hope of ELIMINATING them.

Another commentator -- Cynthia Tucker of the "Atlanta Constitution" --
suggested that critics of the group are just overly "nervous" or paranoid.
 "If they (the Promise Keepers) say they don't have a political agenda, we
have to take them at their word," she also insisted.

Tucker's attitude seems something of a throwback -- reminiscent of a time
when journalists took Joseph McCarthy "at his word."  Whatever happened to
the notion of INVESTIGATIVE reporting?

Like Tucker, however, the "Boston Globe's" Mike Barnicle also lashed out at
the "hysterical reaction" of "special interest groups."  Those who find fault
with the Promise Keepers are basically nuts, according to Barnicle -- "they
are more afraid of people who pray in public, than people who prey upon the
public."  "Worse things can happen than a group of guys gathering on the mall
and promising to be better husbands, fathers and human beings," he
sarcastically noted. 

Lee Cullum of the "Dallas Morning News" echoed the sentiment.  "You certainly
can't fault them for trying to be good fathers," he said.  "That's a good
thing."

What Barnicle and Cullum failed to ask is how many thousands of those
fathers, wittingly or not, brought a tormented gay son to this anti-gay
rally?  Homophobes promise to be BAD parents -- especially of lesbian, gay
and bisexual children.

Promising to combat the "sin" of homosexuality (as the Keepers do) is
effectively to embrace the real evil of homophobia.  This dedication to
bigotry is incompatible with becoming a "better human being."

The media pundits seem unable or unwilling to grasp this point, however
simple.  You certainly can fault them for not trying.

* * * *  ACTION  ALERT!  To encourage critical coverage of the "Religious
Right," send feedback to:  Peggy Robinson, Senior Producer and Jim Lehrer,
Anchor, "The Newshour With Jim Lehrer," 3620 S. 27th St., Arlington, VA
22206, e-mail [email-masked] (copy correspondence to PBS, 1320 Braddock
Place, Alexandria, VA 22314-1698, e-mail [email-masked], web-site
http://www.pbs.org);  Associated Press, 50 Rockefeller Plaza, Fifth Floor,
New York, NY 10020-1666, tel. 212-621-1600, fax 212-621-7520, e-mail
[email-masked];  Reuters, 199 Water Street, New York, NY 10038, fax
212-859-1717, e-mail [email-masked], web-site www.reuters.com;  Mark
Harrington, Vice President, MSNBC, 2200 Fletcher Ave., Fort Lee, NJ 07024,
fax-201-583-5512, e-mail [email-masked].

Comments for the "Newshour" commentators should be sent in care of their
appropriate newspapers:  "Atlanta Journal-Constitution," 72 Marietta St. NW,
Atlanta, GA 30303, tel. 404-526-5151, e-mail [email-masked];  "San
Diego Union-Tribune," P.O. Box 191, San Diego, CA 92112-4106, tel.
619-299-3131 (or 800-244-6397), e-mail [email-masked];  "The Boston
Globe," Box 2378, Boston, MA 02107, fax 617-929-3490, e-mail
[email-masked];  "The Dallas Morning News," P.O. Box 655237, Dallas, TX
75265, tel. 214-977-8222, web-site http://www.dallasnews.com;  "The
Oklahoman," P. O. Box 25125, Oklahoma City, OK, 73125, fax 405-475-3971.

[ Re/Sources:  A recent action alert distributed by Women Leaders Online ("PK
Side Show Ends-Time for Real Reporting to Begin," Oct. 6) offers a succinct
and practical critique of the media's coverage of the Promise Keepers;
contact WLO, P.O. Box 11019, Washington, DC 20008, tel. 202-861-4730, fax
202-364-3018, e-mail [email-masked], web-site http://wlo.org.  The Institute for
First Amendment Studies has compiled a profile of the Promise Keepers, which
highlights the group's homophobic foundations (IFAS, P.O. Box 589, Great
Barrington, MA 01230, e-mail [email-masked], web-site
http://www.ifas.org); additional background can be found in Chris Roth's
"Dossier on the Promise Keepers Movement," distributed through the First
Amendment Update list service (e-mail [email-masked]).

To keep a critical eye on the Promise Keepers, the Center for Democracy
Studies publishes a "PK Watch" newsletter
(http://cdsresearch.org/promise_keepers_watch.htm); another online resource
is the Promise Keepers fact sheet at the Queer Resource Directory's "Radical
Religious Right" page (http://www.qrd.org/www/RRR/pk.html). ].

[2]

M U C H  A D O  A B O U T  ' N O T H I N G '

"Nothing Sacred" premiered September 25 on ABC, and has been a source of
continuing controversy ever since.  The new series, which centers around the
life and times of "Father Ray" -- an inner-city Catholic priest -- is under
fire from various conservative religious groups.  Consequently, several major
advertisers have begun pulling their support from the show.

The ultra-homophobic American Family Association (AFA) contends that "Nothing
Sacred's" portrayal of Father Ray is both "blasphemous" and "profane" --
because the character "opposes everything biblical Christianity teaches on
subjects like abortion, promiscuity and homosexuality."  "If ABC wants to
continue driving Christians away from them as a corporation, they should
continue producing trash like," said AFA vice-president Tim Wildmon.
 According to Wildmon, AFA members nationwide are expressing their opposition
to the series by lobbying advertisers, the network, and their local stations.

Much to the AFA's dismay, David Manson -- executive producer of "Nothing
Scared" -- utterly rebuffs the critics.  "We're unrepentant about the choices
we've made for the show," Manson insists.  Unfortunately, however, major
advertisers have been less stalwart.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, an ABC representative told the Associated
Press that Weight Watchers and American Isuzu Motors "have pulled their ads
from the show."  These sponsors dropped out just prior to the broadcast of an
episode "involving a priest with AIDS."  Sears and Red Lobster have also
bailed.

William Donahue, director of the conservative Catholic League, hopes that
other sponsors will follow suit.  Most recently, according to Donahue, Kmart
has agreed not to advertise on "Nothing Scared" -- though an ABC spokesperson
maintains that the retail chain did not have any ads scheduled in the first
place.

Lisa Webb, a spokesperson for the Weight Watchers company, explained her
company's position this way:  "We got a tremendous amount of feedback from
the public about the show and we just decided it wasn't necessary for us to
be on that program."  An Isuzu spokesperson also confirmed -- anonymously --
that decisions were made on the basis of "complaints received."

Even if advertisers claim their desire is only "to avoid controversy," they
are hardly taking a neutral stand.  Inasmuch as such controversy is, itself,
a creation of Right Wing censors, these companies are doing the biding of
bigots.

* * * *  ACTION ALERT!  Send critical feedback to these amoral advertisers;
remind each that in failing to support fairness and diversity, they become
sponsors of bigotry and censorship:  

-- Anthony J. F. O'Reilly, Chair, WEIGHT WATCHERS (H. J. Heinz Co.), P.O. Box
57, Pittsburgh, PA 15230, tel. 412-456-5700, fax 412-456-6128.

--  Jay W. Chai, Chair, AMERICAN ISUZU (Itochu International Inc.), 335
Madison, New York, NY 10017, tel. 800-255-6727 (or 212-818-8000), fax
212-818-8361 (or 212-818-8152), web-site http://www.itochu.co.jp.

--  Arthur C. Martinez, Chair, SEARS, ROEBUCK & CO., 3333 Beverly Rd.,
Hoffman Estates, IL 60179, tel. 847-286-5703 (or 847-286-5188), fax
847-286-2444, web-site http://www.sears.com.

--  Joe R. Lee, Chair, RED LOBSTER (Darden Restaurants, Inc.), 5900 Lake
Ellenor Dr., Orlando, FL 32809, tel. 407-245-4000, fax 407-245-4459, web-site
http://www.redlobster.com.

--  Floyd Hall, Chair, KMART CORP., 3100 West Big Beaver Rd., Troy, MI 48084,
tel. 800-635-6278, fax 810-643-5249, e-mail [email-masked].

Copy your correspondence to Robert Iger, Chief Executive Officer, ABC-TV, 77
West 66th Street, New York, NY 10023, tel. 212-456-1000, fax 212-456-4866,
web-site http://www.abc.com.

[ Re/Sources:  Contact the opposition at the American Family Association,
P.O. Drawer, 2440, Tupelo, MS 38803, tel. 601-844-5036, fax 601-844-9176,
web-site http://www.afa.net;  Catholic League, 1011 First Avenue, New York,
NY 10022, tel. 212-371-3191, fax 212-371-3394, e-mail [email-masked],
web-site http://www.catholicleague.org. ].

[3]

C R O O K E D  R A T I N G S

Charged with assigning movie ratings, the Motion Picture Association of
America has tainted this process with homophobia (again).  Scheduled for
release on November 26, "Bent" -- a new film about homosexual persecution in
Nazi Germany -- has received the MPAA's most restrictive rating:  "NC-17."

The MPAA claims this rating was assigned because "Bent" contains a "strong
scene of graphic sexuality."  Specifically, the scene in question depicts a
nightclub orgy; the camera pans a crowded room in which various couples --
some gay and lesbian --  are engaged in disparate acts of love.  Yet, as
"Variety" (Oct. 2) reports:  "The sex scenes in 'Bent' are actually less
graphic than many that appear between heterosexuals in mainstream movies that
have received R ratings, according to sources who have seen the film."

According to guidelines issued by the MPAA's Classification and Rating
Administration, an R rating is given to indicate that a movie is:
 "Restricted.  Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian."  On
rating of NC-17, on the other hand, indicates:  "No one 17 and under
admitted."

Unfortunately, "Bent" is a typical case.  The MPAA has repeatedly assigned
more restrictive ratings to movies with lesbian or gay content -- suggesting
that homosexuality itself is essentially offensive, dangerous, and "for
adults only."

In 1995, for example, "When Night is Falling" -- a film containing two scenes
of lesbian romance -- was also tagged for an NC-17 rating.  The distributor,
October Films, objected: "It is our strong belief that if these two scenes
had involved heterosexual love-making, we would have received the less
restrictive R rating.  It is very unfortunate, and quite ominous, that the
MPAA has opted to take this course with its rating decision."

The MPAA's homophobic bias can be costly -- in more ways than one.  According
to a Hollywood Reporter Poll of adults (18+), "an NC-17 rating can keep
nearly a quarter of the available audience away from a movie."  The survey
further suggests that NC-17 ratings can "steer away a substantial segment of
the audience for a film considered to be a high-quality production.
 Twenty-four percent of those polled said they would refuse to attend an
NC-17 rated film even if it has received mass critical acclaim."  Based on
these findings, Marcella Berland, senior vice-president of KRC Research, has
concluded that the NC-17 rating is a definite "handicap" -- significantly
diminishing a film's chances for mainstream exposure.

Often, when threatened with an NC-17, movie makers will re-edit the film to
earn a more marketable R rating.  In the current case, however, "Bent's"
distributor is leaving things just as they are.  "We wouldn't do anything to
compromise the integrity of the piece," said Gerry Rich, president of MGM
worldwide marketing.  "And we certainly wouldn't ask the filmmaker to change
a frame of his film to change the ratings."

Unfair NC-17 ratings discourage audiences in general, and young filmgoers in
particular, from seeing lesbian and gay films, thus perpetuating the ignorant
cycle of homophobia.  In a culture that routinely  "restricts," "warns" and
otherwise advises against the viewing of lesbian or gay LOVE, it becomes easy
-- even inevitable -- to ignore, fear and HATE lesbians and gays.

* * * *  ACTION  ALERT!  Protest the MPAA's crooked ratings scheme; send
complaints to Motion Picture Association of America, Classification and
Rating Administration, 14144 Ventura Blvd., Suite 210, Sherman Oaks, CA
91423, tel. 202-293-1966, fax 202-293-7674, e-mail [email-masked] (or
[email-masked]), web-site http://www.mpaa.org.

[end]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
ABOUT MEDIALERTS

Distributed continuously since 1992 as a community press service,
"MEDIAlert!" [TM] is a biweekly action and advocacy-oriented column of media
criticism, focused on lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender issues. Recipients may
print, publish or post this material, in whole or part, under this or any
title, without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution can be made
to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "MEDIAlert!"  File copies of publications using all
or part of any "MEDIAlert!" are appreciated.  Contact:  MEDIAlert!, 163 Park
Street, San Francisco, CA 94110-5835, voice-mail/fax 415-826-5203, e-mail
[email-masked].

--------------------------------------------------------------------
AUTHOR NOTES

The editor of "Gay People, Sex and the Media" (New York:  Haworth Press), Al
Kielwasser's media criticism and research have appeared widely in both
mainstream and academic publications; he was twice elected Chair of the Gay &
Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.