Subject: "MEDIAlert!" - July 8, 1997
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 02:10:13 -0400 (EDT)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
INDEX:  "MEDIAlert!" - 7.8.97 

-ITEM 1:  "Right Turns on the Information Highway" [Communications Decency
Act; American Family Association; Concerned Women for America; Family
Research Council; Morality in Media; National Coalition for the Protection of
Children & Families].

-ITEM 2:  "Block Party" [Cyberpatrol; SurfWatch; Net Nanny; MSNBC; Associated
Press; Reno v. ACLU; Interactive Services Association; Bill Clinton; Joseph
Biden].

-ITEMS 3 to 8:  "Media/Briefs" [MTV; The Real World; TV Guide; Ellen; My
So-Called Life; Why American Families Should Boycott Disney; Troon
Productions; Gay-TV; Government Gay].
----------------------------------------------------------------------

M   E   D   I   A   l   e   r   t   !
_________________________

July 8, 1997    Al Kielwasser

[1]

R I G H T  T U R N S  

On June 26, by a 7-2 vote, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the
"Communications Decency Act" (CDA) as an unconstitutional abridgment of First
Amendment freedoms.  Under the ruse of "protecting" children, the CDA would
have curtailed a broad range of online speech.  Congress originally passed
the act last February.

The court's decision has since been condemned by various Right Wing,
sex-negative and heterosexual supremacist groups.  "This is not good news for
the thousands of families who discover every day that their children have
accessed offensive and disgusting material on the Internet," said Cathy
Cleaver, legal policy director of the Family Research Council (FRC).  "With
no legal liability for those who pursue children with graphic images and
language on the Internet, we need to act fast and firmly to ensure that our
country does not give pornographers special rights."

"Pornographers beware:  this will not be the last word on protecting children
from your corrupting influence," Cleaver warned.  "While 'Reno v. ACLU' said
that the specific provisions of the CDA are too broad, the Court also said
that more narrowly tailored provisions could be upheld."

Echoing the FRC, a press release from Morality in Media declared:  "The U.S.
Supreme Court's opinion means that children now have no protection under the
law from indecent explicit sexual depictions on their home computers" (PR
Newswire, June 26).  The organization voiced disappointment "in the failure
of the Justices to provide guidance on how the Communications Decency Act
could be amended to constitutionally protect the children of our nation from
this vile material."

Morality in Media identifies as "a national, interfaith non-profit
organization established in 1962 to combat obscenity and to uphold decency
standards in the media."  The group has indicated that it will now "request
Congress to appoint a Blue-Ribbon Commission of leading First Amendment
lawyers and eminent persons learned in the technology of the Internet, and
come up with a practical, effective, and constitutional solution.  It will
also urge Congress to make the on-line companies and Internet Service
Providers equally liable with the pornographers as facilitators of the
crime."

A lesser-known organization, the National Coalition for the Protection of
Children & Families (NCPCF) also weighed in against the Supreme Court's
decision.  "Parents cannot and should not be expected to protect their
children single-handedly," said NCPCF president Jerry Kirk.  "Without further
legislative action, the Internet will remain the only place in America where
you can knowingly send pornography to someone you know is a minor." 

"We have a long tradition in our society of passing laws that help parents
protect their children from harmful material -- like cigarettes, alcohol or
drugs," Kirk added.  "If the CDA was too broadly worded, then let's come up
with one that is better."  The NCPCF specifically complained that "many
libraries and schools have been slow or even opposed to installing filters on
computers used by minors," and Kirk called for an "all out effort by library
boards and school districts to install filtering software that protects
children using their computers for Internet access."

The nation's largest anti-gay media watchdog, the American Family Association
(AFA), has also joined in the censorious clamor.  The AFA is currently
hawking "The Next Right Thing" -- a comic book that tells children how "to
make Godly choices" when confronted with online "obscenity."

Another source of pro-censorship views and anti-child propaganda is Concerned
Women for America (CWA), which claims to be the largest women's organization
in the United States.  A recent issue of CWA's monthly magazine, "Family
Voice" (March 1997), is dedicated to the wages of cyber-sin -- finding fault
with virtually every function or feature of the Internet.

The CWA blames e-mail for transmitting child pornography and for encouraging
online affairs (dubbed "cyberadultery" by the CWA).  The web is similarly
demonized, for allowing individuals "to post whatever they choose" --
including obscene pages of "steamy romance fiction and writings on lesbian
sadomasochistic practices."

Newsgroups are also dominated by "postings of a prurient nature" and have
become a breeding ground for cyberstalkers, the CWA contends.  "Last year,"
the CWA points out, "a Massachusetts man pleaded guilty to charges of raping
two teenaged boys he met through a computer bulletin board."

Finally, the CWA condemns online chat rooms as another source of smut and
danger.  According to the CWA:  "Explicit back-and-forth typed conversations
describing crude sexual exchanges are commonplace in chat rooms.  Users often
pretend to be of the opposite gender, deny they are married, or fake their
age.  Worse, pedophiles and homosexuals lurk in chat rooms, luring
unsuspecting children into dangerous encounters OFFLINE."

Like each of the fundamentalist groups. the CWA maintains that none of this
"offending" online activity warrants any Constitutional protection.
 "Concerned Women for America does not believe our Founding Fathers would in
any way sanction this interpretation," said CWA spokesperson Nina Hacker.
 "The First Amendment was designed to protect political speech -- not
demoralizing filth -- in a democratic society.  As long ago as 1712, the
Massachusetts Bay Colony criminalized the publication of anything obscene."

Hacker's comments are perhaps more revealing than intended.  Like most Right
Wing censors, she pines for the good old days of witch hunts and white
supremacy.

* * *  ACTION ALERT!   Resist the far right's plans for undermining "Reno v.
ACLU."  Contact local library boards and school districts, advising them to
seek alternatives to heterosexist or homophobic filtering software.
 Encourage your state and congressional representatives to oppose any new
censorship initiatives (particularly those put forth by homophobic groups).

To monitor the opposition media, request more information -- "direct from the
homophobe's mouth;" most of these Right Wing groups offer free ("trial")
subscriptions to their magazines, newsletters, online alerts, and other
propaganda.  Contact:  American Family Association, P.O. Drawer 2440, Tupelo,
MS 38803, tel. 601-844-5036, fax 601-844-9176, e-mail [email-masked],
web-site www.afa.net;  Concerned Women for America, 370 L'Enfant Promenade
SW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20024, tel. 202-488-7000, fax 202-488-0806,
e-mail [email-masked], web-site www.cwfa.org;  Family Research Council,
tel. 202-393-2100, web-site www.frc.org; Morality in Media; National
Coalition for the Protection of Children & Families,.

[2]

B L O C K  P A R T Y

In the wake of "Reno v. ACLU," both politicians and the press have shown a
heightened interest in "blocking" software -- that variety of commercial
computer programs designed to restrict children's Internet access.  "With the
right technology and rating systems," Bill Clinton suggested, "we can help
ensure that our children don't end up in the red light districts of
cyberspace."  The president promised "he would study the decision, gather
people representing industry, parents, teachers and librarians to review it,
and continue to look for a way to keep children from viewing pornography on
the Internet" (Reuters, June 26).

In Congress, Sen. Joseph Biden (D-Delaware) announced similar plans and he
intends to "back an alternative legislative approach requiring the government
to help develop technological filtering solutions" (Reuters, June 26).  "The
market is already developing software and hardware to enable parents to block
children's access to filth, violence and other objectionable material," said
Biden. "This solution is now proven as the better way."

Not surprisingly, Reuters (June 27) has reported that "software makers are
suddenly scrambling to profit by selling tools to block obscene and indecent
web sites on the Internet."  "In what appeared to be a well-choreographed
response to the widely awaited ruling," said Reuters, "the companies rushed
to tout their technical solutions for preventing children from perusing Web
sites their parents consider to be offensive." 

"Fundamentally it's good for business because what the Supreme Court has
really done is raise the level of buzz," said Mike Sears, president and
general manager of SurfWatch.  SurfWatch software "stops users from
connecting to 35,000 sites and blocks them from entering some 20,000 search
terms for finding materials over the Internet" (PR Newswire, June 26).

Significantly, the media buzz has focused on keeping children safe from the
dangers (imagined or real) of cyber-porn.  Typical of this slant is an MSNBC
(June 28) report, in which anchor George Lewis described Internet blocking
services as "software on the market that allows parents to block their
children's access to pornography." 

Missing from this narrow slant has been any serious account of the broader
uses to which blocking software can be -- and is being -- put.  In
particular, the homophobic appeal of blocking software has largely been
ignored.

While mainstream journalists simply equate "smut" with pornography, the term
is applied more broadly by homophobes.  To the heterosexual supremacist,
ANYTHING gay or lesbian is smut; EVERYTHING homosexual is indecent or
obscene.

An Associated Press report on the CDA's demise ("What's A Parent to Do?,"
June 26) is typical.  According to AP's lead:  "The nation's highest court
just rejected a government drive to shield kids from Internet smut.  And
every day new sites on the World Wide Web offer titillating photos and sex
chat lines to unsuspecting surfers....  Enter Cyber Patrol, Net Nanny and
other software that block slices of the Internet parents deem objectionable.
 Like virtual cops policing the seedy side, the filtering technology - while
no means foolproof - aims to step in where government doesn't."

Children using popular Internet search-engines "never know what they'll
find," according to the AP report.  For example, the article suggests:  "Kids
seeking to satisfy a sweet tooth might look for 'brown sugar.'  But the first
site that pops up on AltaVista is a 'Collection of erotic and hardcore
pictures of beautiful black women.'"

Not simply improbable (how likely is it that a child seeking candy would
actually search for "brown sugar" on the Internet?), the AP's example is
typical of the mainstream slant on "smut blocking."  As noted -- media
coverage is almost exclusively concerned with pornography, even though the
blocking software itself is not so limited.

Queer or questioning kids, seeking to satisfy their unique need for
information and support, often go searching on the net.  By intention or
default, however, that access is routinely denied by many blocking programs.

In grossly blocking access to "sex," for instance, much software will
inadvertently block everything from AIDS/HIV web sites to decidedly
non-sexual pages of lesbian/gay history.  Of course, blocking software also
makes it EASY for parents who INTENTIONALLY want to censor fair, accurate and
age-appropriate information about homosexuality.

This fact is often overlooked, even by supporters of free expression.  For
example, Brian O'Shaughnessy, director of public policy for the Interactive
Services Association, responded to the CDA decision by claiming simply:
 "Parents, not children, should decide what content is right for their
families.  And it is up to parents, not government, to control  content and
how it is used at home" (Business Wire, June 26).

O'Shaughnessy's statement fails to comprehend that lesbian and gay youth
often find themselves in heterosexist, and even hostile, families.
 Homophobic parents should NOT decide what content is right for lesbian or
gay children. Though few youth advocates or software makers seem willing (or
able) to make this point.

The media might not tell us WHAT TO THINK, but -- as national "agenda
setters" -- they do tell us WHAT TO THINK ABOUT.  The ease with which
blocking software lends support to homophobic bigotry should be closely
thought out.

And hopefully, rejected.

* * *  ACTION ALERT!   To ensure that the public discussion of blocking
software includes the unique needs and interests of queer and questioning
youth, recommend such coverage to leading newspapers, wire services, computer
magazines and trade periodicals.  Also, remind politicians to seek lesbian,
gay, bisexual and transgender representation on any "Blue-Ribbon Commissions"
or other advisory committees concerning children and the Internet.  Contact:
 The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Washington, DC;  U.S. Senate,
Washington, DC 20510, tel. 202-224-3121 (Sen. Joseph Biden, tel.
202-224-5042, fax 202-224-0139);  U.S. House of Representatives, Washington,
DC 20515, tel. 202-225-3121.

Encourage software makers to specifically and actively reject homophobic uses
of their blocking programs.  Contact:  "Net Nanny," Trove Investment
Corporation, Main Floor - 525 Seymour Street, Vancouver, B.C., Canada V6B
3H7, e-mail [email-masked], web-site www.netnanny.com/netnanny.
 "Cyberpartrol," Microsystems Software, Inc., 600 Worcester Rd., Framingham,
MA 01701, tel. 800-489-2001 or 508-879-9000, fax 508-626-8515, e-mail
[email-masked], web-site www.microsys.com; "CyberSitter," Solid Oak
Software, Inc., Post Office Box 6826, Santa Barbara, CA 93160, fax
805-967-1614, e-mail [email-masked]; "SurfWatch," SurfWatch Software, 105
Fremont Avenue, Suite F, Los Altos, California 94022, tel. 415-948-9500, fax
415-948-9577, e-mail [email-masked] (or [email-masked]), web-site
www.surfwatch.com.

Contribute similar suggestions to groups that offer advice on children and
Internet "safety."  For example, the GoodParents.com web site
[www.goodparents.com) includes "a discussion forum for parents, reviews by
parents of  computer-related products, and tips for parents whose kids are
active online."  ISA is the interactive industry's leading trade association,
whose membership includes America Online, CompuServe, Prodigy, Microsoft,
AT&T, MCI, IBM and Netscape; contact:  Brian O'Shaughnessy, Interactive
Services Association, tel. 301-495-4955, e-mail [email-masked], web-site
www.isa.net.

Re/Sources:   "OutProud!" - The National Coalition for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual
and Transgender Youth - pioneered the use of Internet and online services for
outreach to queer youth, and has long been active in working to ensure
freedom of expression in cyberspace.  OutProud! is a non-profit organization,
providing services both to individuals and to other agencies "working for the
benefit of queer youth."  Contact:  OutProud!, 454 Las Gallinas Avenue, Suite
261, San Rafael, CA 94903-3618, tel. 415-499-0993, fax 415-499-1013, e-mail
[email-masked], web-site www.outproud.org.

_________________________

M  E  D  I  A  /  B  R  I  E  F  S

[3]

***  BRAVE NEW WORLD . . . .    MTV recently announced the 7th season of it's
popular video-verite series, "The Real World."  Telling the "true story of
seven strangers picked to live in a house," the series has included lesbian,
gay or bisexual cast members in throughout the previous six seasons.

Lodged in Boston, the most-recent cast will include a 20-year-old lesbian.
 As described by MTV:  "Genesis is very open about her sexuality; she knew
from a very young age that she was gay.  Up until she moved in with her new
housemates in Boston, she lived with her girlfriend Tammy, with whom she has
been involved for two and a half years."  

As Genesis herself explains:  "When I open my mouth most people are shocked
to know that I speak my mind clearly, don't take any shit, and I am very much
a liberal."

C o n t a c t :  Judith McGrath, President, MTV, 1515 Broadway, 24th Floor,
New
York, NY 10036, fax 212-258-8718, e-mail [email-masked].

[4]

***  MAKING THE LIST . . . .    "TV Guide's" July 4 edition is billed as a
"special collectors' issue," in which the editors have "ranked the very best
shows from five decades of television history."  Specifically, the magazine
pays tribute to "The 100 Greatest Episodes of All Time" -- prime-time
programs deemed "timeless treasures" by the magazine.   Each episode is
briefly highlighted in an article that spans from the 50s to the present, and
covers nearly 40 pages.

Included amongst the "very best" picks are two lesbian- and gay-themed shows.
 At number 35, the coming-out episode of "Ellen" (April 30, 1997) made the
list; an episode of "My So-Called Life" (November 10, 1994) -- in which
"Rickie (Wilson Cruz), who's gay, has a crush on Corey (Adam Biesk), who
likes Rayanne (A. J. Langer)" -- ranked 38th.  "TV Guide" is among the
most-widely circulated magazines in the U.S.

C o n t a c t :  Steven Reddicliffe, Editor-in-Chief, "TV Guide," web-site
Radnor, PA 19088, web-site www.tvguide.com.

[5]

***  THE FUNDIE PAGES . . . .    Heterosexual supremacists at the American
Family Association (AFA) have published a four-page pamphlet on "Why American
Families Should Boycott Disney."  The AFA intends to distribute "hundreds of
thousands" of these pamphlets, which purport to expose Disney's "collusion
with homosexual rights activists."

According to the AFA, Disney's various media outlets have conspired to "push
homosexuality" -- for reasons of personnel as well as profit.  First, "a
significant number of" of Disney executives are lesbian or gay.  Second,
"homosexuals form a wealthy and identity-conscious consumer group -- and
Disney knows it."  "In normalizing the homosexual lifestyle," the AFA claims,
"Disney has discovered a successful mix of mission and money."

Citing Biblical proof that homosexuality and lesbianism are the "unnatural"
and "degraded passions" of a "depraved mind," the AFA warns:  "With the winds
of change blowing across America;s moral landscape, Disney's marketing
strategy has little downside, because middle America -- even many Christians
-- appear to be sleeping while the homosexual revolution overthrows
Judeo-Christian culture.":

"If middle America continues to support Disney's products, the company will
continue to use that money to subsidize the normalization of homosexuality,"
the pamphlet concludes.  "While a day at Disney World may not seem like a
visit to Sodom and Gomorrah, it might just take us there."

C o n t a c t :  American Family Association, P.O. Drawer 2440, Tupelo, MS
38803, tel. 601-844-5036, fax 601-844-9176, e-mail [email-masked] (or
[email-masked]), web-site www.afa.net.

[6]

***  BREAKING THE MOLD . . . .    Men still outnumber women in television,
and female characters often reinforce sexist values -- particularly in
children's programming.  As an alternative, the Troon company produces a
series of claymation videos that feature strong women and less aggression for
children 10 and under.

According to a company spokesperson, Troon aims to create children's
programming that is "artful and unique, funky and funny -- without resorting
to gratuitous violence or unrealistic role models.  We emphasize art, music
and cultural diversity, and frown upon gender stereotyping.  You won't find
any princes, princesses, mermaids or superheros in our stories."

C o n t a c t :  Troon Productions, 1700 K Street NW, Suite 650, Washington,
DC 20006, tel. 202-296-1313, fax 202-296-7783, e-mail [email-masked],
web-site www.troonies.com.

[7]

***  GAY TV GUIDANCE . . . .    The "Gay-TV" e-mail list provides a free,
weekly guide to mainstream television programs that feature lesbian, gay,
bisexual or transgender themes.  In addition to date, time and channel, a
brief description is given for each up-coming broadcast.  To subscribe to
this handy service, send e-mail to [email-masked], with the following
one-line command as the message (not the subject line):  SUBSCRIBE GAY-TV.

[8]

***  A NOVEL SITE . . . .    The author of "Government Gay" -- the new "gay
spy-thriller from St. Martin's Press" -- has launched a promotional website.
 Samples from
the book are included [http://surfnetcorp.com/fredh].

[end 7.8.97]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
ABOUT MEDIALERTS

Distributed as a community press service since 1992, "MEDIAlert!" [TM] is an
advocacy-oriented column of media criticism, focused on
lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender issues.

Recipients may print, publish or post this material, in whole or part, under
this or any title, without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution
can be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "MEDIAlert!"  File copies of
publications using all or part of any "MEDIAlert!" are always appreciated.
 Contact:  MEDIAlert!, voice-mail/fax 415-826-5203, e-mail
[email-masked].

--------------------------------------------------------------------
AUTHOR NOTES

Al Kielwasser is the editor of "Gay People, Sex and the Media" (New York:
 Haworth Press).  His media criticism and research has appeared widely, in
both mainstream and academic publications; he was twice elected Chair of the
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.