Subject: "MEDIAlert!" [A] - 04.24.97
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 12:29:39 -0400 (EDT)

------------------------------------------------------------
INDEX:  "MEDIAlert!" - 04.24.97 [PART "A" ONLY].

-ITEM 1:  "Cruising The Airwaves" [ABC; Ellen; Olivia Cruises and Resorts;
New York Times; E! Online; Philadelphia Daily News; TED Inc.; Home Access;
NGLTF].

-ITEM 2:  "TV Guidance Counselor" [All My Children; TV Guide; Soaps; Michael
Logan; Chris Bruno; Agnes Nixon].
------------------------------------------------------------

M   E   D   I   A   l   e   r   t   !
_____________________________

April 18 - 24, 1997    Al Kielwasser

[1]

C R U I S I N G   T H E   A I R W A V E S

Despite its support for "Ellen's" coming out, ABC has refused to air an ad
for a lesbian owned-and-operated company, Olivia Cruises and Resorts.  The
travel service had hoped to broadcast a 15-second commercial during "Ellen's"
much-touted April 30 episode, but their spot was flatly rejected by the
network.

According to several press accounts, Olivia's commercial:  "features a woman
standing on the deck of an ocean liner looking out over the water; when she
hears a noise, she turns to find a shadowy figure wearing a baseball cap
coming toward her.  She is happy to see what appears to be her lover, who
then takes off the cap, revealing herself as a woman.  They embrace."

TED Inc., the public relations firm representing Olivia, had sent an outline
of the ad to ABC and was told on Aril 4 that lesbian commercials were not
acceptable.  In defending the network's decision, ABC broadcast editor Bob
Reynolds explained:  "It is our position that discussion about same-sex
lifestyles is more appropriate in programming."  "We have a blanket policy
against advocacy ads of any kind," added ABC spokesperson Susan Sewell.

"Olivia wants to advertise because they know a large number of lesbian and
gay people will be watching this show," objected Ted Kruckle, president of
TED Inc.  "Is it not valid to represent this constituency in advertising?"

Elizabeth Johns -- a reporter for "E! Online" ("ABC Blocks Another 'Ellen'
Ad," April 8) -- shared this concern.  As Johns aptly asked:  "But what about
all that flagrant advocacy of heterosexuality in those cruise ads for
Carnival?"

Similar sentiments were expressed by Frank Rich, in his column for "The New
York Times" ("The 'Ellen' Emotional Striptease," April 10).  "Some sponsors
-- Chrysler, J.C. Penney -- are taking a pass, but ABC's own courage also has
its limits," said Rich.  "It has turned down one 'Ellen' commercial -- for a
gay cruise-ship line -- as too controversial."

"Am I the only parent who feels that the straight cruise-ship commercials
starring Kathie Lee Gifford are more of a threat to my kids' view of
heterosexuality than anything a gay sponsor could come up with?," he asked.

Not all critics were so understanding.  Writing for the "Philadelphia Daily
News" ("ABC's Dilemma," April 14), columnist Ellen Gray essentially sided
with the sponsors.  Gray defended ABC's excuse that "we try to keep the
advertising broad-based."  "Targeting a specific audience you know will be
watching, in large numbers, at one particular time... is a niche strategy,"
said Gray, "and not one that could do anything for ABC, which still has to
sell commercial time year-round, and not just for 15 seconds here and there."

According to Gray:  "The breakthrough that ABC and 'Ellen' are making is an
inclusive one, in which network television acknowledges, at last, that gays
and lesbians are mainstream enough to be considered TV stars.  The cruise
that Olivia wants to advertise, by contrast, is exclusive.  Unlike the 1994
Ikea ad that featured two men shopping for a table together as part of a
larger campaign whose message was basically that all kinds of people shop for
furniture, an ad for a lesbian travel agency suggests that some people choose
to travel outside the mainstream."

"But if the concept of broadcasting, rather than narrowcasting, is to
survive," Gray concluded, "sooner or later we're all going to have to get in
the same boat."

Gray's notion of "inclusion" is heterosexism personified.  While most critics
noted that lesbian- and gay-themed television is "niche" programming, few
asked WHY or if it should be so.

Whether it's "Ellen" or "Moesha," minority-based programming should NOT be
dismissed so easily -- or casually -- as products of the "niche."  Indeed,
such programs ought to be promoted as remedial viewing for ALL audiences --
especially those viewers who (in Gray's terms) "offend easily" in regard to
minority images.

Homophobic bias aside, another trait has marred much of the response to
"Ellen" and Olivia.  Even critics who interrogated the politics of
heterosexism failed to question the broader "politics of consumerism," which
are obviously at issue here.

In their book "Channels of Desire: Mass Images and the Shaping of American
Consciousness," authors Stuart and Elizabeth Ewen have framed this basic (and
basically overlooked) point.  "The politics of consumption must be understood
as something more than what to buy, or even what to boycott," they argue.

"At a time when for many of us the possibility of meaningful change seems to
elude our grasp, the question of consumption has immense social and political
implications," the Ewens explain.  "To establish popular initiative,
consumerism must be transcended -- a difficult but central task facing all
people who still seek a better way of life."

Unfortunately, questions of "consumerism" are typically left to the academic
or alternative (rather than the popular) press.  This trend is disappointing
-- but hardly surprising, given the mainstream media's dependence on
commercial interests.

Several of ABC's critics did ask (incredulously) why a network that would
permit a lesbian-centered sitcom should also deny a lesbian-centered ad.  Few
attempted (seriously) to answer that question.

In a recent press release ("Ellen Misses The Boat," April 10), Mark Johnson
-- media director for the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force -- has
suggested that "the programming and advertising policies of networks should
be more consistent."  "It seems schizophrenic that the network would run the
gay-themed episode and not run an ad that showed women who happened to be
lesbian enjoying themselves in an affirming way," said Johnson.  "Networks
have long had a policy of not airing 'controversial' advertising because of
their fear of offending viewers."

Actually, the major networks have NOT avoided all "controversial" ads
(witness any recent campaign for designer jeans); the sponsors have long
avoided buying time during "controversial" programs.  ABC's apparent
"double-standard" raises questions about the very nature of programming
versus advertising.

In the realm of commercial television, one genre is perennial -- the
COMMERCIAL.  Whereas particular programs come and go, advertising abides.

In some sense (and a sense not unfelt by ABC), it is advertising which
controls the medium.  To permit a lesbian sitcom star is a relatively
short-term commitment for ABC -- and a programming decision that is under the
network's control.

By contrast, the decision to permit lesbian advertising, as a matter of
policy, is a "long-term" commitment -- and one that ABC is unwilling to make.
 For if Olivia should be allowed on the air, then any company with the
necessary resources could -- at any time -- place lesbian and gay images on
the network, and before a prime-time audience.

Ultimately, perhaps, ABC's "double standard" is found not so much between
programming and advertising, as amongst the ads themselves.  Interestingly,
the network DID agree to air another "niche-targeted" ad -- for an AIDS test
kit -- during "Ellen's" April 30 show.  In explaining the desire to buy time
during this particular episode, the kit's manufacturer -- Home Access Health
Corp. -- gave much the same reasons as Olivia did.

The distinction between these two companies -- and the network's response to
their ads -- is telling.  Whereas one spot features homosexual affection per
se, the other stresses its potential  "consequences."

Unlike their straight counterparts, television images of lesbians and gays
have remained oddly ASEXUAL.  To "be" lesbian or gay has become somewhat less
of a danger in our popular culture -- provided that "being" is more a matter
of what you SAY than DO.

Ironically, TV characters can now "act" gay or lesbian parts... so long as
they avoid any lesbian or gay "acts."  Displays of homosexual romance (even
so timid as a kiss) are still taboo -- with the exception of faux
"lesbianism," so often used in pitching products to horny heterosexual men.
 Women are regularly exploited as sex OBJECTS, but less frequently portrayed
as sexual BEINGS.

If Olivia's spot had promoted a cruise, car or cologne that -- however
vaguely -- was intended for straight male customers, the ad probably would be
airing on ABC right now.  Repeatedly.

* * * *  ACTION ALERT!   Regardless of ABC's decision to allow a lesbian
"Ellen," the network's rejection of Olivia is perniciously homophobic;
challenge this lack of broadcast standards by contacting:  ABC, Broadcast
Standards Department, 77 W. 66th Street, New York, NY 10023-6201, tel.
212-456-7777, fax. 212-456-2381, e-mail [email-masked], web http://abc.com.

Copy all correspondence to ABC's parent company:  Walt Disney Co., 500 S.
Buena Vista Street, Burbank, CA 91521, tel 818-560-1000, fax 818-560-1930.

Additional Contacts:  Frank Rich, "The New York Times," 229 W 43rd Street,
New York, NY 10036, tel. 212-556-1234, fax 212-556-3690, e-mail
[email-masked];  Ellen Gray, "Philadelphia Daily News," Box 7788,
Philadelphia, PA 19101, fax 215-854-5852, e-mail [email-masked];  Mark
Johnson, Media Director, NGLTF, 2320 17th Street NW, Washington, DC 20009,
tel. 202-332-6483 (ext. 3314), e-mail [email-masked];  E! Entertainment
Television, 5670 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90036;  Ted Kruckle,
President, TED Inc., 245 W. 29th Street, New York, NY 10001, tel.
212-564-6367.

Related Actions:  Media watcher Scott Miller is seeking "volunteers to record
the commercials that run in your markets when 'Ellen's' coming-out episode
airs."  "I want to be able to breakdown the national sponsors, as well as
record some of the regional advertisers," says Miller.  "I will then send a
report on who the advertisers were so we can thank and encourage them for
their support."  E-mail inquiries to:  [email-masked].

The Campaign For Equal Rights At Chrysler (CFERAC) has encouraged individuals
and groups to conduct pro-Ellen, anti-Chrysler demonstrations at their local
dealership; Chrysler is among the major advertisers that have refused to buy
airtime during "Ellen's" April 30 broadcast.  For more information (including
details on Chrysler's historically "sad record of treating gay, lesbian, bi
and trans persons"), contact:  Ron Woods, CFERAC, tel. 810-545-7699, e-mail
[email-masked].

[2]

T V  G U I D A N C E  C O U N S E L O R

Michael Logan, "Soaps" columnist for the VERY widely circulated "TV Guide"
(April 19-25), recently filed a report on "The Gay and the Restless."  Logan
details the career moves of actor Chris Bruno, who has played a gay school
teacher on "All My Children" for the last two years [see "MEDIAlert!," Feb.
12-18, 1996].  Bruno announced that he will not renew his contract with the
show, though he has "agreed to return on a recurring basis -- Thanksgiving,
Christmas, whatever the writers need me for."

In sketching the development of "Michael Delaney" (Bruno's groundbreaking
"AMC" character), Logan raises a critical issue.  As he reports:  "The
character was even given a boyfriend, Brad (Daniel McDonald), but their
scenes -- usually set in the safety of a restaurant -- were downright
antiseptic."

"One must appreciate the dilemma," Logan writes.  "If 'AMC' didn't
acknowledge Michael's sexuality in SOME way, it would be a cheat --
especially to the gay community; but if the show acknowledged it too overtly,
there'd be hell to pay in the Bible Belt."

Though Logan broaches a point missed by many other TV columnists, he might
have taken it a bit further.  For in fact, organized opponents of the "Bible
Belt" object to ANY less-than-defamatory portrayal of homosexuality.  Even
when sex-less, gay and lesbian school teachers are still perceived as a
threat.

Moreover, the asexual portrayal of Michael and Brad (patently biased when
compared to "AMC's" treatment of heterosexual couples) is a "cheat" for ALL
audiences.  The straight community is also deprived of fairness -- and a
fuller opportunity to grow in awareness.

"AMC" creator Agnes Nixon "conceived and championed" her gay characters
"despite strong concerns at ABC," Logan reports.  "Yet she defends the lack
of on-screen intimacy."

 "This is nothing new," Nixon claims.  "I've spent 35 years being damned if I
do and damned if I don't."

According to Nixon:  "Anticipation is always better than realization.
 Besides, if they turned off the TV set, we wouldn't get ANY message across."

AMC's executive producer, Francesca James, apparently agrees.  "When Michael
came out, there was a lot of viewer outrage," says James.  "So when we gave
him a love interest, we thought they'd REALLY go nuts -- but they didn't.
 From that standpoint, this is a victory."

A victory in battle, perhaps, but not the war.  Indeed, James comments only
underscore the need -- and capacity -- for doing better and more.  As the
viewers are progressively less "nuts," why not give Michael -- and every
other gay, lesbian, trans or bi character -- an even fuller, fairer love
interest?

If producers are going to be damned in any event, they might as well be
damned for doing what's REALLY right.

* * * *  ACTION ALERT!   While its groundbreaking gay characters are worthy
of support, "AMC" should nevertheless be reminded that there is still ground
to break; counsel this soap to do MORE of the right thing.  Contact:  "All My
Children," ABC Daytime, 77 W. 66th Street, New York, NY 10023-6201, fax
212-456-2381, e-mail [email-masked] (or [email-masked]), web
http://abc.com.

Comments can be copied to the:  Letters Department, "TV Guide," Radnor, PA
19088 (correspondence NOT intended for publication should be sent to Jack
Curry, Managing Editor, "TV Guide," Box 500, Radnor, PA 19088-0500, web
http://www.tvguide.com).

[end of part "A"; part  "B" posted separately]

----------------------------------------------------------
ABOUT MEDIALERTS

Distributed as a community press service since 1992, "MEDIAlert!" [TM] is a
biweekly, advocacy-oriented column of media criticism, primarily focused on
lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender issues.

Recipients may print, publish or post this material, in whole or part, under
this or any title, without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution
can be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "MEDIAlert!"  File copies of
publications using all or part of any "MEDIAlert!" are always appreciated.  

Next "MEDIAlert!" = May 9, 1997.  Contact:  A. P. Kielwasser, MEDIAction, 163
Park Street, San Francisco, CA 94110-5835, voice-mail/fax 415-826-5203,
e-mail [email-masked].

----------------------------------------------------------
AUTHOR NOTES

Al Kielwasser is the editor of "Gay People, Sex and the Media" (New York:
 Haworth Press).  His media criticism and research have appeared widely, in
both mainstream and academic publications (including the "Journal of American
Culture," "Journal of Homosexuality," "Journal of Popular Culture," and
"Critical Studies in Mass Communication"); he was twice elected Chair of the
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.