Subject: MEDIAlert! [B] - 03.1.97
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 04:43:35 -0500 (EST)

------------------------------------------------------------
INDEX:  "MEDIAlert!" for 1 MARCH 97 [Part B] 

-ITEM 4:  "National Nightmare" [National Enquirer; Cher; Elijah Blue; Dr.
Anthony Pietropinto].

-ITEM 5:  "Part Of An Unbalanced Breakfast?" [Nickelodeon; PM/General Foods;
Post; Family Research Council; Kids' Bill of Rights].

-ITEM 6:  "Cyber-Hate, Take Two" [S.F. Independent; MSNBC; Militia Watchdog].

-ITEM 7:  "Rare Find" [Hide and Seek; Variety].

-ITEM 8:  "Roadblocks On The Superhighway" [Markle Foundation; Motivations
For and Barriers to Internet Usage].

-ITEM 9:  "Web Watch" [FAIR Media Bias Detector; Gay Place Online Magazine;
OG Magazine; GLOradio; Gaysport; CyberRights; TransParent; Demonstrator's
Site; ACLU Freedom Network Web Page].
------------------------------------------------------------

M E D I A l e r t !   /   B R I E F S
_____________________________

March 1-15, 1997  Al Kielwasser

[4]

***  NATIONAL NIGHTMARE . . .   Given the medium's unique standard, tabloid
coverage of queers has always been sensational -- but not always bad.
 Unfortunately, however, recent editions of the country's most popular weekly
have only gone from bad to worse.

Boasting the "largest circulation of any paper in America," the "National
Enquirer" manages to defame gay youth, transvestites, rock musicians, and
Cher -- all in one issue (Feb. 18).  A two-page spread, headlined "Cher's
Nightmare," the newspaper alleges that:  "Cher's bad-boy son Elijah Blue has
become a transvestite -- and he viciously broke his mother's heart by hissing
'Let's face it, I'm far prettier and more talented than you!'"

Riddled with cliches, this article is the real "nightmare" -- a conflated
blend of sensational references to "kinky sex," "gay lifestyles," "satanic
rituals," "prostitutes," "makeup-and-lipstick-wearing transvestites," "porno
queens," "useless drug addicts," "party animals," and (for good measure)
"wild three-way scenes."

Typical of this animus in prose, the "Enquirer" reports that another
transvestite "led Elijah into experimenting with a gay lifestyle."
 Thereafter, the 20-year-old musician not only "immersed himself in
cross-dressing, drugs and a gay lifestyle," but also "studied the occult" and
"influenced other boys to wear lipstick and feminine clothing."  The
"Enquirer" portrays Cher as a "tortured mom," but never mentions her public
acceptance of another queer child (lesbian daughter Chastity Bono).

A side-bar to the article fares no better, offering "expert" advice from "Dr.
Anthony Pietropinto, a New York psychiatrist who has treated many children."
 "Children often get back at their parents for real or imagined neglect by
behaving in shocking and outrageous ways," Pietropinto says.  "What better
way to hurt a famous parent than by becoming a transvestite, a drug-taking
rock-and-roller?"

C o n t a c t :  Malcolm Hayes, Managing Editor, "National Enquirer,"
Lantana, FL 33464, tel. 561-586-1111 (Florida) or 310-657-9872 (Los Angeles),
e-mail [email-masked]; Dr. Anthony Pietropinto, 2 5th Avenue,
New York, NY 10011-8835, tel. 212-674-6375.

[5]

***  PART OF AN UNBALANCED BREAKFAST? . . .   The Family Research Council
(FRC) and other fundamentalist groups have uncovered a "secret surprise in
kids' cereal boxes . . .  Liberal Ideas!"  Specifically, the FRC has
lambasted a cooperative effort by the Nickelodeon television network and Post
cereals, which have produced a "Kids' Bill of Rights" -- a statement of basic
rights, listed on a card, and inserted in boxes of Fruity Pebbles and Alpha
Bits.  According to spokespersons for the "Religious Right," this "prize" is
loaded with seditious claims -- for example, the suggestion that "children
have the right to have opinions and feelings even if others do not agree with
them" ("AFA Journal," March 1997).  Robert Knight, director of cultural
studies for the FRC, warns that "such ideas have the effect of driving a
wedge between children and parents."

C o n t a c t :  PM/General Foods (makers of Post cereals), 120 Park Avenue,
New York, NY 10017, tel. 212-878-2165 or 800-343-0975; Nickelodeon, 1515
Broadway, New York, NY 10036; Family Research Council, 801 G Street NW,
Washington, DC 20001, tel. 800-225-4008.

[6]

***  RARE FIND . . .   Critics have hailed Helmer Su Friedrich's new film --
"Hide and Seek" -- as an effective challenge to "the notion that there is
such a thing as a 'typical' or 'normal' childhood."  According to "Variety"
(Feb. 18), this work is "a provocative, often entertaining documentary about
lesbian childhood, which weaves archival scientific footage and sex-education
films with real growing-up tales."  At the center of attention is "Lou, a
12-year-old girl growing up in the 1960s," and the film specifically explores
"early feelings of desire, as they are repressed and molded by society's mass
media, educational institutions and the family."  "Hide and Seek" breaks new
thematic ground, "Variety" concludes, "But its specialized goal makes it a
likely candidate for PBS and other venues for nonfiction fare, after
traveling the gay and lesbian festivals."

C o n t a c t  :  "Daily Variety," 5700 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA
90036, tel. 213-857-6600, fax 213-857-0742; "Hide and Seek" is an ITVS
(Independent Television Service) production. 

[7]

***  CYBER-HATE, TAKE TWO . . .   In the wake of domestic terrorism, the
mainstream media have provided a virtual "rash" of stories about hate groups
and the Internet.  Two recent examples not only provide a case in point, but
offer a contrast in the "sins of omission" as well.

"The Independent" (March 1) featured a cover story on the subject, written by
Kristen Reyes and headlined:  "Hate Groups Having A Field Day On The
Internet."  Citing a recent audit conducted by the Anti-Defamation League,
Reyes reports that -- over the past year -- "anti-Semitic and other hate
groups increased their audience with the help of modern technology."  Amongst
the "other groups," however, homophobes are not considered -- or even
mentioned -- by Reyes.

The ONLY somewhat-inclusive reference occurs in a vague observation that,
"amid the torrent of information on the Internet, there is a disturbing
stream of hate-filled messages directed against religious, racial, and
cultural minorities."  Not ONE example of homophobia is given; not ONE
lesbian or gay spokesperson is quoted.  Such omission is all-the-more-glaring
in a San Francisco-based newspaper.

By way of contrast, a national news network -- MSNBC -- also ran a recent
feature on cyber-hate ("Militants Link Up To The Internet," Feb. 28).
 MSNBC's story -- reported by Alan Boyle -- was inclusive from the start.

In his lead, Boyle notes:  "Anti-abortion...  anti-gay...  anti-government...
the mix of volatile ideologies can touch off explosions like those that
rocked an abortion clinic and a bar catering to gays in Atlanta.  And the
Internet serves as one of the tools for blending tracts and tactics."

Boyle's coverage is also more-comprehensive, giving attention to a possible
tendency to overestimate the extent of cyber-hate.  As Mark Pitcavage of "The
Militia Watchdog" suggests, your run-of-the-mill right-wing extremists "tend
not to be computer-literate" (they're stupid).

Organized hate-mongers are another story, however.  For these groups, Boyle
suggest, the Internet CAN work effectively, in at least two important ways.
 First, "The Net can draw together like-minded people in a 'virtual
community' even if they're widely separated in geographical terms."  Second,
"A small group can make a big impression at little cost by using the Internet
to distribute its literature."

Interestingly, the technological benefits to homophobes accrue equally (and
perhaps even more) to homosexuals.  The perils of the Net are also its
promise.

C o n t a c t :  "San Francisco Independent," 1201 Evans Avenue, San
Francisco, CA 94124, tel. 415-826-1100, fax 415-826-5371; MSNBC, 2200
Flethcher Avenue, Fort Lee, NJ 07024, e-mail [email-masked],
http://www.msnbc.com; "Militia Watchdog," http://www.militia-watchdog.org.

[8]

***  ROADBLOCKS ON THE SUPERHIGHWAY . . .   The Markle Foundation recently
commissioned a study of Internet access, and preliminary results suggest some
disturbing -- if not unexpected -- trends.  The "information superhighway"
appears decidedly LESS-accessible to women, minorities and the poor.

In this new survey, authored by Dr. James Katz, disproportionate numbers of
African American and Latino respondents reported "not being aware of the
Internet."  In addition, this group was more likely to be female (64% of
those who reported being unaware of the Internet were women) and less well
off (58% had a household income below $25,000).

According to Lloyd Morrisett, president of the Markle Foundation, "The
success of the World Wide Web, which barely existed four years ago, is
raising important questions as to whether a 'digital divide' is opening up in
our country."  "While the Internet is rapidly evolving into a mainstream
element of our society," says Morrisett, "a central question of social equity
remains."

C o n t a c t :  For a complimentary copy of the new survey -- "Motivations
For and Barriers to Internet Usage" -- call Erik Brand, at the International
Advisory Council, tel. 212-226-0898.  For information on other related Markle
Foundation projects, visit the organization's website, http://www.
markle.org, or e-mail the foundation at [email-masked].

[9]

W  E  B   W  A  T  C  H  .  .  . 

** DETECTIVE PERCEPTION . . .   "Broadcasting unchallenged 'official' or
'expert' information -- often without identifying the source behind the story
-- is one of network news' most blatant examples of bias."  This and other
tips can be found in the "FAIR Media Bias Detector," which includes a
do-it-yourself "Media Bias Scorecard" for rating the news
[http://www.igc.org/fair/media-bias-detector.html].

This online "Detector" has been adapted from the book "Unreliable Sources: A
Guide to Detecting Bias in News Media," written by FAIR's Martin Lee and
Norman Solomon.  The Fairness & Accuracy In Media (FAIR) web site features
various resources [http://www.igc.org/fair/]; of particular use to "armchair
activists" is a handy "Media Contact List," which provides current addresses
and other contact information for major newspapers, TV stations, magazines,
and other news outlets.

** RE: PLACE . . .   A relatively recent strand on the world wide web, "Gay
Place Online Magazine" offers national and international news for the gay and
lesbian communities [http://gayplace.com/].  Issue #2 includes a variety of
action alerts and news features, as well as humor, fiction and poetry.

** QUEER/ASIAN . . .   "OG Magazine" promises its readers "interesting and
exciting articles and features about gay Asians living in Asia and the West"
-- along with "sensual pictorial spreads" [http://www.ogusa.com]; current
features include reports on "Gay Asian Literature" and "Internet Censorship
from Singapore."  First published in 1987 -- with a printing of only 1000
copies -- "OG's" quarterly circulation now hovers at 12,000 and the magazine
is distributed in "gay and gay-themed bookshops" throughout North America,
Europe, Japan and Australia.

** RADIO ACTIVE 'GLO' . . .   Newly launched "GLOradio" claims to be "the
first broadcasting company dedicated specifically to global programming for
the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Community"
[http://www.gloradio.com].  The website's programming "went live" on March 3
-- "an exciting day for the global GLBT Community," according to John
McMullen, GLOradio's president and CEO.  "We have built a great team of
people whose talents range from grassroots community activism to 20 years in
broadcasting," said McMullen.  "Together, we have a profound sense of pride
in bringing quality news and entertainment shows to people in every country
where there is Net access, every single day."

RealAudio Player software, which can be downloaded free of charge
[http://www.real.com], is needed for listening to live or archived
broadcasts.  Eventually, GLOradio plans to expand its distribution to
"traditional radio stations for even greater accessibility."

** ATHLETIC SUPPORTERS . . .   For the latest happenings in the world of gay
and lesbian sports, check out the "Gaysport" news site
[http://www.gaysport.org/news/].  According to Gaysport's web editor, this
recently added service is enhanced by the work of "correspondents from all
over the globe."

** CYBER-RIGHTS BILLING . . .   "CyberRights," a meeting on new media
technologies and the First Amendment, is scheduled for March 20-21 at
American University in Washington, DC.  Sponsored by The First Amendment
Congress (a non-profit coalition of 20 national media and communications
organizations) the conference will address such wide-ranging themes as
"access, accountability, privacy, minors and cybermedia, the role of
government, and political/social issues."  For online details, a conference
website has been set up [http://www.oklahoman.net/connections/congress].
 Additional information is also available by contacting:  Julie Lucas,
Executive Director, tel. 303-871-4430, e-mail [email-masked].

** TRANS-MISSIONS . . .   The first issue of "TransParent" newsletter is now
available on the web [http://www.critpath.org/pflag-talk/transparent.htm].
 Current articles include "How Did I Start Out With A Melancholy Catholic
Daughter and End Up With A Contented Jewish Son?," "Life Is More Fun Married
To A Transsexual," and "Getting Support From The Net/Giving Support On The
Ground."

** DEMO DOINGS . . .   The "Demonstrator's Site" is a unique resource for
those who "take it to the streets" [http://www.masdef.org].  A project of the
National Lawyer's Guild, this site offers essential information for
demonstrative activists:  news (reports from and on various demonstrations),
notices (announcements of upcoming demonstrations), and references (including
a "Demonstrator's Manual").

** CIVIL SITE . . .   Civil rights defenders can browse current news
bulletins and action alerts at the "ACLU Freedom Network Web Page"
[http://www.aclu.org]; the American Civil Liberties Union also maintains an
"ACLU Action List," which distributes regular alerts by e-mail (to subscribe
to this service, simply send e-mail to [email-masked] with "subscribe
action" in the body of the message).

[End of Part B; Part A posted separately]

----------------------------------------------------------

ABOUT MEDIALERTS

Distributed as a community press service since 1992, "MEDIAlert!" [TM] is a
biweekly, advocacy-oriented column of media criticism, primarily focused on
lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender issues.  Recipients may print, publish or
post this material, in whole or part, under this or any title, without prior
permission.  When appropriate, attribution can be made to "Al Kielwasser"
and/or "MEDIAlert!"  File copies of publications using all or part of any
"MEDIAlert!" are always appreciated.  Next "MEDIAlert!" = March 16, 1997.
  Contact:  A. P. Kielwasser, MEDIAction, 163 Park Street, San Francisco, CA
94110-5835, voice-mail/fax 415-826-5203, e-mail [email-masked].

----------------------------------------------------------

AUTHOR NOTES

Al Kielwasser is the editor of "Gay People, Sex and the Media" (New York:
 Haworth Press).  His media criticism and research have appeared widely, in
both mainstream and academic publications (including the "Journal of American
Culture," "Journal of Homosexuality," "Journal of Popular Culture," and
"Critical Studies in Mass Communication"); he was twice elected Chair of the
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.