Subject: MEDIAlert! - for 31 DEC 96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 13:00:19 -0500

----------------------------------------------------------------
INDEX:  "MEDIAlert!" for 31 DEC 96

-ITEM 1:  "Home-O-Phobia"  [Alfie's Home; International Healing Foundation;
Richard Cohen; Donate-A-Book Campaign; Daddy's Roommate; Heather Has Two
Mommies; NCAC; Ex.Ex; GLSTN].

-ITEM 2:  "News Notes"  [MTV News: UNFiltered; MTV Networks; Judy McGrath;
City Nightclub; VH1; RuPaul; Loveline; The Real World; Storytellers; Melissa
Etheridge; Rodman World Tour; MTV News Presents].

-ITEMS 3 - 10:  "Media/Briefs"  [MSNBC, Imus In The Morning; GLAAD, MPAA,
ACLU, Mel Gibson; Townhall.Com; CCPJ 1996 Report on Free Expression;
Rethinking Schools; Making Contact; HBO, Official and Confidential: The
Secret Life of J. Edgar Hoover; NGLTF Action Alert List].

-GENERAL INFO  [about MEDIAlerts; author notes].
----------------------------------------------------------------

M   E   D   I   A    l    e    r    t    !
______________________________

December 16-31, 1996   Al Kielwasser

[1]

H O M E - 0 - P H O B I A

Operating as a tax-exempt organization, the homophobic International Healing
Foundation (IHF) recently renewed its efforts to  launch a national
fundraising scheme -- the "Donate-A-Book Campaign."   IHF is distributing
copies of a hard-cover children's picture book, "Alfie's Home," which tells
"the story of a boy who struggles with homosexuality and then transitions
into heterosexuality after finding help and experiencing his father's love."

"Alfie's Home" was written by Richard Cohen, who is also the director of IHF.
 According to Cohen -- who identifies himself as an educator, psychotherapist
and "former homosexual" -- the book is intended "to offer hope and healing to
children who wish to change from gay to straight."  

"No one is born homosexual," says Cohen.  "'Alfie's Home' offers the
understanding that change is possible.  I have done it, and so have many
others."  The author adds that "Alfie's story is no mere abstraction but has
been carved out of numerous case studies arising from my therapeutic
practice."

IHF hopes to donate over 1,000 copies of the book to public and school
libraries across the nation.  The campaign is currently seeking donations,
and hopes to raise $5,000 to continue the effort.  To support the campaign,
IHF is also running radio/TV public service announcements and placing print
ads and news releases.

"This year, one patron donated thousands of dollars for us to advertise in
local papers," Cohen claims.  "From these ads many called and got help for
the first time."

According to Cohen, "Alfie's Home" is necessary to counter "the
pro-homosexual books such as 'Daddy's Home' and 'Heather has two Mommies'
which now exist in many libraries and schools throughout the country."
 "Members of the homosexual community have donated a large number of these
books in order to promote the acceptance of homosexuality," Cohen says.

The main character in "Alfie's Home" is a young boy who announces woefully:
 "When I became a teenager, I started feeling really different from the other
guys....  I was confused.  I did have strong feelings for other guys."

"After awhile, I went to a school counselor for help and advice," the boy
relates.  "I told him my story and that I thought I was gay.  He said I
wasn't gay....  He explained that because I didn't experience affection with
my father, that now I was looking for closeness with other boys, to fill the
need for my Dad's love."

Elsewhere, the story suggests that homosexuality is also caused by gay
pedophiles.  "My Uncle Pete comes over sometimes," Alfie says.  "One night
when he was holding me, he started touching my private parts."

The book also includes a hideous depiction of Alfie being taunted by other
classmates:  "Some of them called me names like 'Sissy,' 'Faggot,' 'Queer,'
'Homo.'  I didn't know what they meant."  However, this taunting is portrayed
as one of the problems associated with homosexuality, NOT homophobia.  The
book condemns BEING gay, but not BASHING gays.

Not surprisingly, the story of "Alfie's Home" concludes heterosexually ever
after.  Following family counseling, Alfie explains:  "Now, I realize that
I'm not gay....  Finally, I am happy and at home.  Now I am seeing Nancy....
 We are getting married.  It's exciting!!!"

Cohen is urging homophobes across the nation to "contact IHF for free copies
of 'Alfie's Home' to donate to your local public libraries and public
schools."  Supporters are also provided with copies of a press release and
PSA, to run in their local media markets.

* * * *  ACTION ALERT!:   Request a FREE copy of "Alfie's Home" and alert
your local press, library or school board to the true nature of this
insidious and hateful misinformation campaign; contact Richard A. Cohen,
Director, International Healing Foundation, Inc., P.O. Box 901, Bowie, MD
20718-0901, tel. 301-805-6111, fax 301-341-1258, e-mail [email-masked].

Whenever fair and accurate books about homosexuality come under attack in
your town, respond!  The National Coalition Against Censorship (NCAC) and the
Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Teachers Network (GLSTN) are progressive
organizations that can provide advice, resources and other information
regarding the fight for fair and free expression now being waged in schools
and libraries.  Contact:  NCAC, 275 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10001, tel.
212-807-6222, fax 212-807-6245, e-mail [email-masked];  GLSTN, 122 West 26th
Street, Suite 1100, New York, NY 10001, tel. 212-727-0135, e-mail
[email-masked], web http://www.glstn.org/respect/.  Among the resources
available from GLSTN is an especially handy reference sheet, "Just The Facts:
On Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Students and Schools."

"Ex.Ex" -- pronounced "x-dot-x" -- is a new website created as "a resource
for individuals that are seeking information on these 'ex-gay' groups and
more specifically on those that have now become 'ex-ex-gay.'  In other words,
they have come to accept their sexual orientation instead of trying to change
it."  For details, browse the site (http://members.aol.com/exexgay) or e-mail
inquiries to [email-masked].

[2]

N E W S  N O T E S

The tenth installment of "MTV News: UNFiltered" premiered December 22, and
has been re-broadcast on several dates since.  Once again the show
prominently includes queer content.

According to MTV, this series "turns the cameras around and puts viewers in
control of the content,  pictures and words that make the news."  The latest
"UNFiltered" episode opened with a segment on Portland's "City Nightclub,"
which has come under fire from local authorities.

According to club patron Patrick Hill, the harassment is utterly homophobic
"as most of the clubgoers are gay, lesbian or bisexual."  Hill's segment
effectively argues the urgent need for places -- other than the street --
where queer youth can gather affirmatively.

"UNFiltered" debuted in 1995, and the series "invites viewers around the
country to call a special toll free number (1-800-296-2445) with their story
ideas;" selected viewers are provided with a camera to document their story
on tape.  Previous episodes of "MTV News: UNFiltered" have covered such
 issues as teenage suicide, squatters' rights, sexual harassment and gay
drag.

"UNFiltered" is a production of MTV News.  According to "TV Guide" (Dec. 27),
the music network's news division -- which has "tackled subject matter hard
and soft in its 15 years" -- is currently undergoing "an extensive overhaul."
 Reportedly, $10.5 million will be slashed from the MTV News budget in the
coming year.  However, MTV president Judy McGrath insists that "the network's
commitment to news remains as strong as ever."

"We will actually be upping the amount of news on the network," McGrath
promises.  "Normally, we do 16 half-hour specials.  This year we're adding
another 10 to that number as part of a regular Sunday night 'MTV News
Presents...' show."

"MTV News: UNFiltered" aired seven times in 1996, but will be cut to four
installments in '97.  The series will be merged with "MTV News Presents..."

MTV is a unit of Viacom Inc., which also owns and operates VH1,
Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite, and TV Land.  Other network programs that offer
affirmative lesbian or gay content include VH1's "RuPaul" show (hosted by the
gay drag diva/singer of the same name), and MTV's "Loveline" (a nightly sex
advice/talk show), "The Real World" (documentary series) and "Rodman World
Tour" (celebrity interview/talk show).  In addition, a recent (December 29)
episode of the VH1 biography series -- "Storytellers" -- featured lesbian
rocker Melissa Etheridge.

* * * *  ACTION ALERT!:   Encourage MTV to continue programming queer news
and music.  Send comments to Judy McGrath, President, MTV Networks, 1515
Broadway, New York, NY 10036, fax 212-258-7955, e-mail [email-masked]; copy
correspondence to Sumner M. Redstone, Chair, Viacom International, Inc., 1515
Broadway, New York, NY 10036, tel. 212-258-6000.  Calls can also be directed
to Andrea Smith, Manager, Communications (MTV Networks/East Coast, tel.
212-258-8768) or Vanessa Reyes, Manager, Corporation Communications (MTV
Networks/West Coast, tel. 818-505-7812).  Questions, comments or suggestions
can be e-mailed to "Loveline" ([email-masked]), VH1 ([email-masked])
and "MTV News: UNFiltered" ([email-masked]).

M  E  D  I  A  /  B  R I  E  F  S

[3]

***  QUALITY PRODUCE? . . .   The MSNBC network has renewed its contract with
"Imus In The Morning," a New York based radio show.  Each weekday MSNBC
simulcasts the nationally-syndicated series, which is hosted by Don Imus.
 Unfortunately, the radio series -- and now, the TV network -- also provide a
platform for snide on-air comments from "Bernie," the show's producer.
 Acting a something of a side-kick for Imus, Bernie regularly interjects
homophobic asides.

In recent MSNBC simulcasts, for example, Bernie suggested that homosexual
marriages will only "pave the way for man-boy weddings.  That's coming next!"
 Following a news report on IBM's decision to extend domestic partnership
benefits to lesbian and gay employees, he remarked:  "Instead of a mouse, you
can have a gerbil on the pad.  Go all the way with it!"  By contrast, host
Imus has been more supportive -- or at least less hateful -- than his
producer.

Contact:  Mark Harrington, Vice President, MSNBC, 2200 Fletcher, Avenue, Fort
Lee, NJ 07024, e-mail [email-masked].

[4]

***  COSTLY FREEDOM . . .   "Journalists around the world found themselves
under increasing threats of both violent and legislative assaults in 1996,"
according to the Canadian Committee to Protect Journalists (CCPJ).  In its
recently-released annual report, CCPJ notes:  "In 1996 alone, 163 journalists
were charged and brought to trial for their work, 79 were sentenced, and 8
were handed suspended sentences. These numbers show a marked increase over
1995."  "While scores of journalists are murdered every year for their work,
the more common threat for journalists is the courtroom, and the enemy, more
often than not, is their own government," said Wayne Sharpe, executive
director of CCPJ.

For more information, including "complete statistics on freedom of expression
violations in 1996," contact the Canadian Committee to Protect
Journalists/International Freedom of Expression Clearing House, 490 Adelaide
St. W., Suite 205, Toronto, ON, Canada M5V 1T2, tel. 416-703-1638, fax
416-703-7034, e-mail [email-masked], web http://www.web.net/ccpj/.

[5]

***  GLAAD TIDINGS . . .   Sadly, the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation (GLAAD) has extended dubious support for the nation's new TV
ratings scheme.  Though opposed by other progressive organizations, the
system has been greeted optimistically by GLAAD's national director, William
Waybourn.

The ratings system was developed under the direction of Jack Valenti,
president of the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), which has
consistently -- and unfairly -- applied more-restrictive ratings (e.g.,
NC-17) to films with lesbian or gay content.  Ignoring the MPAA's record of
homophobic bias, however, Waybourn expressed "cautious optimism that the new
system would not distinguish between heterosexual and gay content."  Citing
no firm or concrete policy statement -- but only vague assurances from
"industry insiders" -- Waybourn insists the ratings scheme "is not intended
to discourage creation of lesbian- and gay-themed programming."

By contrast, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has denounced the
ratings system as "subjective and arbitrary" and tantamount to
"government-coerced censorship."  According to ACLU associate director Barry
Steinhardt, the new system could easily encourage advertisers or producers to
drop certain shows and projects "for fear of being thought too
controversial."

In another seemingly-inexplicable (and equally "industry-cozy") move, GLAAD
and homophobic actor/director Mel Gibson "will host 10 lesbian and gay
filmmakers for an on-location seminar on the set of Gibson's new film,
'Conspiracy Theory.'"  According to GLAAD, the day-long seminar is scheduled
to take place in early January and will provide participants "with an
up-close and personal look into the inner workings of a major Hollywood
feature film."  "GLAAD is proud to offer up-and-coming lesbian and gay
filmmakers the opportunity to spend time on set with an actor and director of
Mel Gibson's caliber," said Waybourn.

Though described by GLAAD as "groundbreaking," the seminar is actually being
held without serious expression of any new understanding (let alone an
apology) from Gibson, who has routinely smeared lesbians and gays, both on
and off the screen.  In fact, this event -- at which homosexuals will
essentially have the "opportunity" to sit at the feet of a homophobe -- seems
little more than a continuation of Gibson's condescension towards queers.

If Gibson was an unrepentant misogynist, would NOW proudly invite
up-and-coming women filmmakers to spend time learning from a man of such
caliber?  GLAAD's vague "opportunity" appears no less absurd.

Contact:  GLAAD/National, 1875 Connecticut Avenue NW, Suite 640, Washington,
DC 20009, tel. 800-429-6334 or 202-986-1360, fax 202-667-0902, e-mail
[email-masked] or [email-masked], web http://www.glad.org;  American Civil
Liberties Union National Office, 132 West 43rd Street, New York, New York
10036, e-mail [email-masked], web http://www.aclu.org.

[6]

***  RIGHT WING WATCH . . .   Keeping an eye on the on-line Right is an
important -- yet increasingly daunting -- task.  To make the effort easier,
web watcher Scott Miller recommends pointing to
http://www.townhall.com/townhall/.  This site "gives you options to access
quite a few right-wing groups," including such infamous homophobes as the
so-called Family "Research" Council (http://www.townhall.com/townhall/FRC/)
and the American Family Association (http://www.afa.net).

[7]

***  EDUCATIONAL MEDIA . . .   The latest issue of "Rethinking Schools"
(Winter 1996/1997) includes a four-page centerfold:  "Teaching the Whole
Story -- One School's Struggle Toward Gay and Lesbian Inclusion"  This
expansive article reports on efforts to introduce fair and factual
information about homosexuality, through such educational media as Debra
Chasnoff's recently-completed film "It's Elementary."  Sidebars examine
student reactions to anti-gay resolutions and suggest "Recommended Resources"
(books, videos, photo exhibits), useful to both professional educators and
educational activists.  "Rethinking Schools" is a progressive tabloid,
published quarterly.

Contact:  Barbara Miner, Managing Editor, "Rethinking Schools," 1001 E. Keefe
Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53212, tel. 414-964-9646, fax 414-964-7220, e-mail
[email-masked].

[8]

***  RADIO ACTIVITY . . .   Featuring progressive critiques of contemporary
media issues, "Making Contact" is an exceptional half-hour radio show.  A
recent episode asks "How Free is Our Free Press?" and examines the "stories
that go largely unreported in mainstream media."  This series is provided
free to all non-commercial stations, and the show's producers encourage
listeners to recommend "Making Contact" to local broadcasters.  For further
information, contact Phillip Babich, Producer, "Making Contact," 1876 16th
Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94122, tel. 415-851-7256, e-mail
[email-masked] or [email-masked], web
http://www.igc.apc.org/MakingContact.

[9]

***  DID SHE, OR DIDN'T SHE? . . .   Reuters/Variety (Dec. 23) reports that
"HBO has halted work on a movie about J. Edgar Hoover, because it could not
resolve such issues as whether to portray the late FBI director as a
cross-dresser who had an affair with his right-hand man, Clyde Tolson."
 Apparently, network executives objected to "the issue of drag and other
allegations made in the Anthony Summers book 'Official and Confidential: The
Secret Life of J. Edgar Hoover,' which served as HBO's source material for
the film."  However, HBO sources deny that the network is "shying away from
volatile subject matter" and insist the script is still being developed.

Aside from a latenight phone call from an HBO staffer, Summers said he has
not been fully briefed by the network.  "Three weeks ago, I had a call from a
woman who was very rude at 9:30 at night, asking, 'What's this about Hoover
being homosexual, what are your facts to back it up?,'" Summers said.
 According to Variety, HBO has "officially declined comment."

Contact:  HBO, Jeff Bewkes, President, HBO, 1100 Avenue of the Americas, New
York, NY 10036, fax 212-512-5517, web http://www.hbo.com/cmp/feedback.html.

[10]

***  E-MEDIA ACTIVISM. . .   The National Gay & Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF)
provides an "Action Alert" e-mail list.  To subscribe to this vital service,
send a message to:  [email-masked].  In the body of the message,
simply type:  subscribe activist.

--------------------------------------------------------------

ABOUT MEDIALERTS

Distributed as a community press service since 1992, "MEDIAlert!" [TM]
(formerly "Media Watch") is a biweekly, advocacy-oriented column of media
criticism, primarily focused on lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender issues.
 Recipients may print, publish or post this material, in whole or part, under
this or any title, without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution
can be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "MEDIAlert!"  File copies of
publications using all or part of any "MEDIAlert!" are always appreciated
(and can be sent to the address below).

Next "MEDIAlert!":  January 15, 1997.   Contact:  A. P. Kielwasser,
MEDIAction, 163 Park Street, San Francisco, CA 94110-5835, voice-mail
415-826-5203,  fax 415-826-5203 (ext. 8), e-mail [email-masked].

--------------------------------------------------------------

AUTHOR NOTES

Al Kielwasser is the editor of "Gay People, Sex and the Media" (New York:
 Haworth Press) and his criticism and research have appeared widely, in both
mainstream and academic publications (including the "Journal of American
Culture," "Journal of Homosexuality," "Journal of Popular Culture," and
"Critical Studies in Mass Communication"); in 1996 he completed a second term
as Chair of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay
Area, a pioneering media advocacy organization.

___________________________________________

Shape the forces that shape our society . . .
Challenge homophobia in and through the media!

____________________________________________