Subject: MEDIA/Briefs [B] - 31 OCT 96
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 23:37:39 -0500

-------------------------------------------------
INDEX: "MEDIA/Briefs" [B]  -  31 OCT 96 (Please note: Parts A and B have been
posted separately).

[PART B] MEDIA/Briefs:

- Item 3: "OTHER ISSUES" [Teen Voices; Rethinking Schools].
- Item 4: "TABLOID ROUNDTABLE" [Star; Globe; National Enquirer; Chad Allen;
Jim Bakker; Whitney Houston; Julia Roberts; Ellen DeGeneres; John Kennedy,
Jr.].
- Item 5: "E-MEDIA WATCH" [National Coalition Against Censorship; Great Neck
Public Library].
- Item 6: "SUI DEGENERES" [Hollywood Reporter; Ellen; ABC/Touchstone; William
Paley Television Festival; AFA Action Alert; J.C. Penny; Coca-Cola].
- Item 7: "SOUND INVESTMENT" [State of the Union; NCAC].
- Item 8: "LEADING THE CHARGE" [Rainbow Card; Do Tell, Inc.].
- ITEM 9: "SOUND & (UN)SOUND BITES [Michael Bronski; Gina Gershon].

[PART A] MEDIAlerts: 

- Item 1: "SCHLOCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOWS" [Millennium; Fox Television;
Cruising; Vito Russo].
- Item 2: "NOT JUST A LOT OF HOT HAIR" [Seventeen Magazine; Sadie Van Gelder;
Levi's; Sears].

General Information [about MEDIAlerts; author notes].
---------------------------------------------------

 M    E    D    I    A    l     e    r    t    !
 ____________________________

 October 16 - 31, 1996     Al Kielwasser

[PART  B]

M  E  D  I  A  /  B  R  I  E  F  S

[3]

***  O T H E R  I S S U E S . . .    "Teen Voices" is an alternative magazine
that promises NOT to "carry articles about hair products, make-up, or how to
get that special boy." Instead, Linda Christensen reports, the magazine
focuses on "real issues in teen lives," from "ways to stop racism" to
"growing up lesbian."

"Teen Voices" is one of several educational media resources -- books,
publications, video -- which are reviewed in the latest edition of
"Rethinking Schools" (Fall 1996), a non-profit, independent newspaper
"advocating the reform of elementary and secondary public schools," with an
emphasis on "issues of equity and social justice."

C o n t a c t :  "Teen Voices," Women Express, Inc., 316 Huntington Avenue,
Boston, MA 02115, tel. 617-262-2434, fax 617-262-8937; "Rethinking Schools,"
1001 E. Keefe Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53212, tel. 414-964-9646, fax
414-964-7220, editorial e-mail [email-masked].

[4]

***  T A B L O I D  R O U N D T A B L E . . .    "Supermarket tabloids" --
America's most popular press (in terms of circulation, at any rate) -- have
often featured gay gossip.  Lately, that stable trend seems to be on a
definite upswing.  Recent headlines include:  "Bewitched Star 'Dated' Cary
Grant" (Star, Oct. 8), "Julia Roberts' Shocking Kissing Scenes With Bar Girl"
(Star, Sept. 24), "Jim Bakker: How Gay Sex Charges Drove Him to Brink of
Suicide" (Globe, Sept. 24), "Whitney's Gay Secrets" (National Enquirer, Oct.
15), "Ellen Outs Her TV Character as Gift to Galpal" (Globe, Oct. 1), and
"Why Jackie O Feared Hunky John-John Was Gay" (Star, Sept. 24).  In the
latter case, an accompanying photo caption explains why:  "John loved to
tease gay men by baring his well-toned bod."

While not all of this tabloid talk has been without merit, the latest batch
seems especially smarmy.  Perhaps the worst of the current lot is the Globe's
(Oct. 1) cover story:  "Gotcha! Dr. Quinn Star Caught in Gay Pool Romp."

In themselves, the Globe's "exclusive photos" of actor Chad Allen kissing
another man actually paint a rather happy picture.  It is the accompanying
text -- filled with one homophobic cliche after another -- which spoils the
view.

According to the article, Allen "shattered his wholesome image... by making
out in a pool with another GUY!."  The newspaper suggests:  "21-year old
Chad, who plays Jane Seymour's adopted son Matthew on CBS' hit family show,
was having a gay old time smooching with handsome Jason Padovan, 26" and,
later, Allen "gushed to the guys:  'I'm free at last.'"

The article refers to Allen's pool-party kissing as "gay antics" and "kinky
escapades."  The Globe concludes by noting:  "Last fall Chad admitted he was
promiscuous and had been tested for HIV twice, sources say."

C o n t a c t :  Tony Frost, Editor, "Globe," 5401 N.W. Broken Sound Blvd.,
Boca Raton, FL 33487, tel. 407-997-7733 or 310-207-7800; Steve Coz, Editor,
"National Enquirer," Lantana, FL 33464, tel. 561-586-1111 or 310-657-9872,
e-mail [email-masked], http://www.nationalenquirer.com/; Phil
Bunton, Editor-in-Chief, "Star," 660 White Plains Road, Tarrytown, New York
10591, tel. 914-332-5000 or 310-858-1591.

[5]

***  E - M E D I A  W A T C H   . . .    The Fall 1996 issue of "Censorship
News" (a newsletter of the National Coalition Against Censorship) warns
readers:  "When it comes to the Internet, many libraries are apparently not
following the traditional and important principles of the American Library
Association on patron access.  For example, the Great Neck Public Library in
Long Island, NY -- expected by many to be particularly enlightened -- has
adopted a new policy placing restrictions on young people and on general
'offensiveness.'"  "Check your own library!," the newsletter advises, for
even "one patron's pressing of First Amendment considerations" can have an
impact.

C o n t a c t :  For more censorship news, visit NCAC's web site
(www.ncac.org) or write the National Coalition Against Censorship, 275
Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10001, tel. 212-807-6222, e-mail
[email-masked].

[6]

***  S U I   D E G E N E R E S  .  .  .    Writing in the "Hollywood
Reporter" (October 18), Jonathan Davies details the latest developments in
"Ellen's" on-going outing.  For several weeks now, "official" rumors have
been floated, suggesting that Ellen DeGeneres' sitcom character might come
out of the closet sometime this season.  More coy than confident, however,
both ABC/Touchstone and DeGeneres have refused to confirm that a plot change
is even being considered.  Until now.

According to the "Hollywood Reporter," DeGeneres has at last -- and at least
-- promised fans of her sitcom that "they will learn this season whether her
on-screen character is gay."  Moreover, Davies reports, DeGeneres has also
announced that she is "willing to accept the consequences."

According to Davies, it was during the recent Museum of Television & Radio's
"William S. Paley Television Festival" -- at a session about "Ellen" -- that
one audience member finally asked DeGeneres:  "How long will we have to
wait?"

"'The answer will be this season,' was as specific as DeGeneres would be,"
Davies reports.  "'How long did you have to wait to find out who shot J.R.?
 People don't care about being shot so much; this person may be gay -- it'll
ruin everything in society!' she cried, feigning horror."

Davies also reports that:  "Another audience member pressed the issue
further, asking about the risk involved in showing a gay character on
primetime television. And, despite museum president Robert Batscha's attempts
to skirt the question, DeGeneres insisted on answering.  'Whatever happens,
it would be a risk,' she said, although she noted that the series has already
been syndicated to Lifetime Television.  'And yes, it is a risk that I would
be willing to take.'"

"Other audience members were cut off when they tried to explore the issue,"
Davies says.  "But the evening ended on a weighty note when DeGeneres was
asked whether she feels pressure to explore social issues -- sexual and
otherwise -- on the show.  'I think I have a big responsibility; it's my
name,' she said, adding that she now has greater self-confidence.  'It would
be good to do some really great things for a lot of people with this
character.'"

In a recent "AFA Action Alert," the American Family Association has accused
"Ellen" of "gnawing at traditional family values."  AFA president Donald
Wildmon is also threatening the show's more nervous or "uncommitted"
advertisers (such as Penny's and Coke); should they choose to stick with
"Ellen" and pander to "radical pro-sodomite groups," Wildmon promises a
boycott.

C o n t a c t :  Dean Valentine, President of Network TV, Walt Disney and
Touchstone Television, 500 South Buena Vista Street, Burbank, CA 91521-0001,
tel. 818-560-5000, e-mail [email-masked], http://www.tvplex.com/note;
American Family Association, P. O. Drawer 2440, Tupelo, MS 38803, tel.
601-844-5036, fax 601-844-9176, e-mail [email-masked],
http://www.gocin.com/afa/; William Howell, Chair, J.C. Penny Company, Inc.,
P.O. Box 1001, Dallas, TX 75301, tel. 214-431-1000, fax 214-431-1977; Robert
Goizueta, Chair, Coca-Cola Company, P.O. Drawer 1734, Atlanta, GA, tel.
800-438-2653, fax 404-676-4903, http://www.cocacola.com/forum/backtalk.html.

[7]

***  S O U N D  I N V E S T M E N T . . .    "State of the Union" is a new CD
featuring "146 artists responding to the presidential State of the Union
Address in 146 minutes."  Billed as a "protest album about freedom of
expression," the artists include Spalding Grey, Penny Arcade, Allen Ginsberg
and Jessica Hagedorn.  Profits from the CD sales will go to a good cause, the
National Coalition Against Censorship.

C o n t a c t : "State of the Union" is available through local music
outlets, or directly from Atavistic Records, P.O. Box 578266, Chicago, IL
60657-8266; web browsers can access a complete list of all 146 artists, at
www.panix.com/~esharp.

[8]

***  L E A D I N G  T H E  C H A R G E . . .    The "Rainbow Card" -- a visa
credit card founded by Martina Navratilova "to support and fund causes of
interest to the lesbian and gay community" -- recently celebrated its
first-year anniversary.  With donations toping $1000,000, Navratilova said,
"We have every reason to celebrate."

Overall, the Rainbow Endowment hopes to raise some $20 million for
participating charities and plans for the second year include a new transit
shelter advertising in cities nationwide.  "While we are specifically
targeting our market, we aim to make a major leap into a more public medium
by launching an outdoor media campaign," said Pam Derderian of Do Tell, Inc.,
a lesbian-owned agency dedicated to "marketing the lesbian and gay
community."  According to Derderian, the outdoor ads will "carry our new
campaign themes, 'The Power of One,' based on the belief that each one of us
can make a difference" (Well, those of us with good credit ratings
anyway....).

C o n t a c t :  Do Tell, Inc., 1982 Butler Pike, Suite 600, Conshohocken, PA
19428, tel. 610-397-0100, fax 610-832-1585; applications are available
through Travelers bank (tel. 800-99-RAINBOW) and on the Rainbow Card web site
(http://www.rainbowcard.com).

[9]

S O  U  N  D   B  I  T  E  .  .  .  

"Even better than this, why not books about GAY children?...  But the idea
that there might be 'gay children,' or that children's sexual fantasies might
be discussed or even catered to, strikes at the heart of the
respectability-pandering in any of these titles....  More than this, these
books represent the same advertising mentality and mainstreaming of the gay
rights movement that we have recently seen in the publicity and press
coverage surrounding the March on Washington and the struggle to lift the
military ban against homosexuals:  the redefining of the gay and lesbian
community as... white, middle-class and extraordinarily respectable.  It's a
marketing ploy that is doomed to backfire because it is simply not the TRUTH
about the majority of lesbians and gay men.  It is important when dealing
with children to tell the truth, not just because it is the right thing to do
but because kids can usually spot a lie immediately."

--  Michael Bronski, author and critic, on the "positive" gay images
contained in such children's books as "Uncle What-Is-It" and "Daddy's
Roommate."  ["Positive Images and The Stupid Family," Radical America, vol.
25, no. 1, September 1993]

(  U  N  )  S O  U  N  D   B  I  T  E  .  .  .  

"In the flirtation scenes with Jennifer, I found myself touching my hair and
cocking my neck, real girly things, without realizing it.  I knew that was
wrong.  I had to find that male essence.  I had to become one of those guys
who drives me crazy."

--  Gina Gershon, heterosexual actress, on how she played "Corky," a lesbian
character in "Bound"....  a character that the hapless Gershon also describes
as:  "Essentially a guy."  [Associated Press, October 3, 1996]

[End of Part B]

-------------------------------------------------

A B O U T  M E D I A L E R T S

"MEDIAlert!" [TM] (formerly the "GLAAD Media Watch") is a biweekly,
advocacy-oriented column of media criticism, primarily focused on
lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender issues.

Since 1992, this column has been distributed, on request, as a community
service.  Recipients may print, publish or post this material, in whole or
part, under this or any title, without prior permission.  When appropriate,
attribution can be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "MEDIAlert!"  File copies
of publications using all or part of any "MEDIAlert!" are always appreciated.

Some current and back issues of "MEDIAlert!" are available online, through
the Queer Resources Directory (http://www.qrd.org/qrd/media/medialert/) or
the news section of AOL's "Gay & Lesbian Community Forum" (keyword: GLCF
News).

Next "MEDIAlert!"   =   November 1 - 15 , 1996.

Contact:  "MEDIAlert!," 163 Park Street, San Francisco, CA 94110-5835,
voice-mail 415-826-5203,  fax 415-826-5203 (ext. 8), e-mail
[email-masked].

-------------------------------------------------

A U T H O R  N O T E S

Al Kielwasser is the editor of "Gay People, Sex and the Media" (New York:
 Haworth Press).  He has taught a wide range of courses and workshops in
media theory and practice, and his research appears in the "Journal of
American Culture," "Journal of Homosexuality," "Journal of Popular Culture,"
"Feedback: The Journal of the Broadcast Education Association," "The High
School Journal," "Critical Studies in Mass Communication," and other
publications; he was twice elected Chair of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance
Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.

  ______________________________________________

  Shape the forces that shape our society . . .
  challenge homophobia in and through the media.
  _______________________________________________