Subject: MEDIAlert! - Sept. 15-30
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 12:14:20 -0400

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
INDEX:  "MEDIAlert!" for 15-30 Sept 96.

-Item 1:  AUTUMN LEADS [Ellen DeGeneres; ABC Entertainment; Walt
Disney/Touchstone Television; J.C. Penney; Microsoft; Intel; Toyota;
Coca-Cola; PepsiCo; TV Guide; Paul Schulman; Christian Coalition; Pat
Robertson; American Family Association; Queer Words/Queer Images].

-Item 2:  MEDIALERT!/BRIEFS [Suddenly Susan; The Light of Louisville
Newspaper; Your Turn With Dr. Frank Simon; Women Organizing for Change;
Gay/Lesbian International News Network; One More River to Cross; Engelbert
Humperdinck; Fly High Lesbian Seagull; Lesbigay Radio Chicago; ACLU First
Amendment Education Project; Steven Capsuto; Alternate Channels; Manload on
Hollywood].

-Item 3:  WEB WATCH [Q-Zone; 20/20 Vision; Guide To Effective Activism].

-General Information [about MEDIAlerts; author notes; errata].
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

  M    E    D    I    A    l     e    r    t    !
  ________________________________

  September 15-30 , 1996   Al Kielwasser

[1]

A  U  T  U  M  N    L  E  A  D  S   .  .  .

The ubiquitous "TV Guide" has sparked widespread interest in -- and protest
over -- ABC's popular series, "Ellen."  According to the magazine, actress
Ellen DeGeneres hopes to out her title character ("Ellen Morgan") in the new
Fall season.  The prime-time sitcom would be the first in U.S. television
history to feature a continuing lesbian LEAD.

Citing "unnamed sources," a growing number of mainstream media quickly
relayed the initial rumors.  Lisa De Moraes of "The Hollywood Reporter"
(September 13) posed this typical lead:  "Executives involved in the Disney
sitcom 'Ellen,' which airs on ABC, are considering having the lead character,
played by Ellen DeGeneres, come out as a lesbian."

According to Moraes, "No decision has been made and the move, should it get a
green light, would not occur at the start of the season."  "Some executives
think the move is too controversial for broadcast network television, some
think it's a bad decision for the show creatively, and others think it would
be a good move and would distinguish the sitcom, which has never clearly
defined itself and which faces stiff comedy competition this season," Moraes
indicated.  "Wednesday is expected to be the site of some of the biggest
network skirmishes this fall, and 'Ellen's' 8 p.m. time slot is one of the
grislier battlegrounds."

Associated Press business writer Skip Wollenberg (September 20) reports that
"Madison Avenue is staying tuned."  According to Wollenberg:  "Advertising
buyers say some sponsors may avoid the show if Ellen comes out of the closet,
but they suspect ABC could find others to step in.  The reaction, they say,
depends on how the issue is handled."

Wollenberg quotes agency executive Paul Schulman -- "who specializes in
buying network advertising time"  If Ellen Morgan and a girlfriend are shown
"going to the zoo together, it's not a problem," according to Schulman.  "If
they are in bed together, it's a problem."

So far, Wollenberg says, "There have been no defections among advertisers
since the 'TV Guide' report."  "Ellen's" current cadre of advertisers
includes Nabisco, Sears, J.C. Penny, Intel, General Mills, Microsoft, and
Toyota.  According to the Associated Press:  "J.C. Penney and Toyota said
they would await developments before deciding if they should change their
plans.  Pepsi-Cola and Coca-Cola -- each scheduled to advertise on the show
later in the year -- released similar statements.   Spokesmen for both
Microsoft and Intel said they would continue their advertising regardless of
the plot developments."

If "Ellen" does develop a lesbian plotline, Donald Wildmon -- president of
the homophobic American Family Association (AFA) -- says he intends to
boycott any advertisers that stay on and "reveal their true allegiances to
themes which gnaw at traditional family values.''
 
Columnist Bill Zwecker of the "Chicago Sun-Times" (September 17) also reports
that:  "The Christian Coalition and other religious groups may mount a
protest against Walt Disney Co. if Ellen DeGeneres, star of Disney's ABC
series 'Ellen,' has her namesake character come out as a lesbian this
season....  DeGeneres has been the subject of widespread media reports in the
past questioning her sexual preferences."  To date, DeGeneres has remained
silent on the subject of her own lesbianism (though now -- more than ever --
she appears poised for a less constricted role).

During an appearance on "FOX News Sunday," Christian Coalition president Pat
Robertson was asked for his personal opinion about DeGeneres possibly playing
a lesbian.  ``I find it hard to believe.  She's so popular, she's such an
attractive actress," Robertson replied.  "I think it will hurt her ratings.
 I don't think the American people are ready for that, frankly.''

When contacted by "The Hollywood Reporter" (September 16), a spokesperson for
Walt Disney Television "had no comment on Robertson's remarks."  The
Associated Press (September 20) reported a similar response:  "The Walt
Disney Co., which produces the series and owns ABC, has refused to
comment...."

Disney's repeated "no comment" is not as satisfying as a vigorous defense of
lesbian and gay characters.  The company should, at least, take substantive
offense to homophobia -- through specific public statements against this
latest round of AFA and Christian Coalition bigotry.

Offering a cynical slant, "Variety" (September 20) reporter Joe Flint opines:
 "'Ellen' may be better off staying in the closet if the record low ratings
for the show's season premiere are any indication."  Flint suggests that ABC
had hoped to profit from speculation on Ellen's sexuality, but the spin
apparently backfired.  "Network executives, who haven't decided how to depict
the character's sexuality, thought the publicity might draw more viewers when
it screened Wednesday," says Flint.  "Instead, the show garnered a record low
rating."

"Ellen's" season premiere (September 18) rated an 8.9 . . .  a 28% decline
from the previous year.  Each rating point represents 970,000 households.

As a LESBIAN CHARACTER, "Ellen Morgan" would be a vital realization --
whatever the commercial costs (or credits).  That milestone could be even
more significant, though, if -- as a LESBIAN ACTRESS -- Ellen DeGeneres also
chooses to come out.  As Pat Robertson's stupid comments reveal, there is a
need to demonstrate that "popular" and "attractive actresses" can not only
play lesbian leads, but lead lesbian lives.

The history of prime-time television has been told by (ostensibly) straight
actors, playing (occasionally) gay roles.  If a lesbian actress who is
CERTAINLY OUT can star as an OUT FOR CERTAIN lesbian character, it is
something altogether different . . .  and exceptional.

Perhaps such cultural exceptions have remained so unpopular precisely because
they allow that unique fullness of recognition.  To be undeniably and
unapologetically queer -- in popular fiction and, in fact -- is to become
visible not only as the constant OBJECTS of another's action, but finally --
and literally, here -- ACTORS in our own identity.

 ****  A c t i o n / O p t i o n s ! :    "Ellen" is produced by
Black/Marlens Company, in association with Touchstone Television; series
executive producers are Eileen Heisler, Deanne Heline, and Vic Kaplan.
 Comments should be directed to Dean Valentine, President of Network
Television, Walt Disney/Touchstone Television, 500 South Buena Vista Street,
Burbank, California 91521-0001, tel. 818-560-5000, http://www.tvplex.com/Note
(viewer comment page); copy all correspondence to ABC Entertainment, 2040
Avenue of the Stars, Los Angeles, CA 90067, tel. 310-557-7777, e-mail
[email-masked], http://www.abctv.com.

A supportive response can be sent to stalwart sponsors, Microsoft and Intel.
 The hesitant advertisers -- J.C. Penney, Toyota, Pepsi-Cola and Coca-Cola --
should be reminded that there can be no compromise with bigotry.  Contact:
 William Howell, Chair, J.C. Penney Company, Inc., P.O. Box 10001, Dallas, TX
75301, tel. 214-431-1000, fax 214-431-1977;  Shinji Sakai, President, Toyota
Motor Sales, 19001 S. Western Avenue, Torrance, CA 90509, tel. 310-618-4000
or 800-331-4331, fax 310-618-7800;  D. Wayne Calloway, Chair, PepsiCo, 700
Anderson Hill Road, Purchase, NY 10577, tel. 914-253-2000, fax 914-253-2070;
 Roberto Goizueta, Chair, The Coca-Cola Company, P.O. Drawer 1734, Atlanta,
GA 30301, tel. 404-676-2121 or 800-438-2653, fax 404-676-4903;  William
Gates, Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052, tel.
206-882-8080, fax 206-936-7329;  Gordon Moore, Chair, Intel Corporation, P.O.
Box 58119, Santa Clara, CA 95052, tel. 408-765-8080 or 800-548-4725.

 ****  R e / S o u r c e s :    Paul Schulman's observation -- "If they are
in bed together, it's a problem" -- reflects a central challenge facing
contemporary lesbian/gay media activists, particularly as we move beyond
demands for quantity (simple inclusion) to quality (fairness and diversity)
in representation.  Feminist media critics Darlene Hantzis and Valerie Lehr
provide a good overview of this problem, in their article "Whose Desire?
 Lesbian (Non)Sexuality and Television's Perpetuation of Hetero/Sexism."  The
authors conclude that many "positive" queer characters -- inasmuch as they
are conspicuously nonsexual -- actually reinforce homophobia and
heterosexism.  "Whose Desire?" is published in "Queer Words/Queer Images," an
anthology edited by R. Jeffrey Ringer (New York University Press, 1994).
 [For background to the media coverage of Ellene DeGeneres' real-life
lesbianism, see GLAAD vs. GLAAD, "Bay Area Reporter," March 7, 1996]

[2]

M  E  D  I  A  L  E  R  T  !   /   B   R   I   E   F   S

****  S C E N E S  O F  O M I S S I O N . . .     Among the season's crop of
new shows is "Suddenly Susan," an NBC sitcom staring Brooke Shields.
 "Variety" (September 16) describes the series as "a fairly hip ensemble
show" that has "keeper potential, if Warner Bros. only lets the story of a
young woman striking out on her own for the first time have some room to
grow."

The audience seems to have taken an immediate liking to the series.  The show
debuted at the top of Nielsen's chart, and "TV Guide" (September 14) has
already predicted:  "Improved or not, this sitcom is the season's one
certified, can't miss hit."

Whatever its qualities, however, the premiere episode strained even the most
willing suspension of disbelief.  "Suddenly Susan" is set in and about San
Francisco (Shields plays "a writer at a trendy San Francisco magazine"), and
yet -- incredulously -- not a SINGLE lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender
character was anywhere in sight.

Of course -- as the series "grows" -- some much-needed cast additions might
yet be made . . .   particularly if persistent viewers point out the empty
rooms.

C o n t a c t :  NBC Entertainment 3000 West Alameda Avenue, Burbank, CA
91523, tel. 818-840-4444, e-mail [email-masked]; "Suddenly Susan" is a
Warner Bros. Television production; Gary Dontzig and Steven Peterman are the
series executive producers.

****  H A T E F U L  H A N D O U T S . . .     "The Light of Louisville
Newspaper" is a source of neither news nor illumination.  Instead, this
one-sheet "newspaper" circulates some of the dimmest homophobia.

Profiling "famous" homosexuals who have either raped children or eaten human
flesh, the flyer claims that lesbians and gays are "fifteen times more likely
to be involved in a sexual murder spree than heterosexuals."  Thus,
homosexuals (like any other serial killing cannibals) should never be
permitted "as teachers and role models in Louisville and Jefferson County
Schools."  "The Light of Louisville" has been distributed throughout
Jefferson County, Kentucky.

David Williams, editor of "The Letter" -- Kentucky's gay and lesbian
newspaper -- reports that this "extremely homophobic literature" is being
pushed by a local broadcaster, Frank Simon.  "Simon is using his weekly
television program to hawk it," says Williams.  "On his September 5 show he
claimed that 10,000 have already been distributed."

According to Williams, "The fear that gays and lesbians might be legally
allowed to teach children has been a major leitmotif of Simon's career."
 "Your Turn With Dr. Frank Simon" is call-in talk show, televised weekly on
WBNA-TV.

C o n t a c t :  Frank Simon, P.O. Box 6689, Louisville, KY 40206, tel.
502-895-6263;  WBNA, 3701 Fern Valley Road, Louisville, KY 40219, tel.
502-964-2121.

****  C O U N T E R  F O R C E . . .     Women Organizing for Change (WOC) is
a national advocacy effort "devoted to countering the Christian Coalition by
organizing through the Internet, students and other local and national
activists."  The group recently (September 13) led a demonstration against
the Christian Coalition's high-profile "Road to Victory" conference --
"protesting the positions of the Coalition and their all-but-in-name endorsed
Presidential Candidate Bob Dole, with particular emphasis on the danger to
women's lives and health."  WOC is a project of Women Leaders Online.

C o n t a c t :  Women Leaders Online, P. O. Box 57199, Washington, DC
20037-7199, tel. 202-861-4730, fax 202-861-4297, e-mail [email-masked],
http://wlo.org.

****  B R E A K I N G  N E W S . . .     The Gay/Lesbian International News
Network -- GLINN -- is a member-supported organization, providing "basic
accreditation, support, services and benefits for individuals working in the
gay/lesbian media."

As previously noted ["News Paperless," MEDIAlert!, September 1-14], GLINN has
also launched a new web site that should be of interest not only to media
pros, but the larger gay/lesbian community as well.  Highlights include:
 e-newsletters, syndicated columns, ACLU News Feeds, educational equity
(P.E.R.S.O.N. Project) updates, broadcast schedules, and news features.
 Recent features include "Are Children at Risk from Gay Marriage" (September
11),  a compelling editorial by Stefan Lynch, director of Children of
Lesbians and Gays Everywhere (COLAGE).  The site also includes and a handy
list of contact information for the major "mainstream" media; a gay/lesbian
media database -- "a Who's Who of Gay Media that can be continuously updated"
-- is currently under construction.

"In addition to a BBS, news service, and now this WWW site, GLINN has begun
distributing gay male books on floppy disk and through computer bulletin
board systems," says Dan Schramm, founder and president of GLINN.  "And we
aren't stopping there.  We have lots of ideas and you'll be surprised and
delighted on a regular basis if you keep coming back."

C o n t a c t :  GLINN Publishing Corporation, P.O. Box 93626, Milwaukee, WI
53203-0626, tel. 414-289-8640, fax 414-289-0789, BBS 414-289-0181,
http://www.glinn.com.  Send e-mail submissions of news and information items
to:  [email-masked].

****  P R O V O C A T I V E   P R I N T . . . .     Writing in "The Boston
Globe" (September 20), critic Renee Graham eloquently reviews "One More River
to Cross" -- Keith Boykin's new book on race and sexual orientation.  "Caught
between the rock of racism and the hard place of homophobia," Graham notes,
"black gay men and women, members of two communities, have often found it
difficult to achieve complete acceptance in either. They are the minorities
within minority communities."  Boykin, says Graham, "impressively
deconstructs the roots of black homophobia and exposes the depths of racism
within the white gay community.  From authors James Baldwin and Audre Lorde
to political figure Bayard Rustin....  black lesbians and gays have been
among the most culturally influential members of American society. Their
accomplishments are all the more impressive given that each had to contend
both with racism and homophobia."

"'One More River to Cross' is a provocation," Graham concludes, "but a
necessary one that will enlighten even as it enrages....  As Boykin writes,
'What blacks and gays both need to learn is that black lesbians and gay men
do not threaten the unity of either community -- they preserve it.'"

C o n t a c t :  "The Boston Globe," Box 2378, Boston, MA 02107, fax
617-929-3490, e-mail [email-masked]; "One More River to Cross" is published
by Anchor.

****  F O R  T H E  B I R D S ? . . .     According to a dispatch from
"Entertainment Wire" (September 6), Engelbert Humperdinck, "the singer with a
Ph.D. in love," will sing the title track of the new Beavis & Butthead film
-- "Fly High Lesbian Seagull."  EW reports:  "Though many people have come to
know Engelbert as the romantic leader of the free world, few know of his
disarming wit and charm.  The film and soundtrack are both scheduled for
release in December 1996.  Engelbert is planning on performing a number of
'Lesbian Seagull' benefits in order to raise awareness of their heretofore
obscure cause."  Whether Humperdinck will strike a note of humor or
homophobia remains to be heard. 

C o n t a c t :  Baker/Winokur/Ryder Public Relations, tel. 310-277-6200, fax
310-277-8260.

****  B R O A D E R  C A S T I N G . . .     "Lesbigay Radio Chicago"
(WNDZ-AM, Chicago) can now be heard in Northern California as well (KEST-AM,
San Francisco; KOBO-AM, Sacramento).  Recent broadcasts have featured
interviews with Kate Clinton, lesbian comedian and writer for "The Rosie
O'Donnell Show" (September 16) and Tom Rielly, co-founder of Digital Queers
and creator of the new on-line service "Planet Out" (September 19).

C o n t a c t :  "Lesbigay Radio Chicago," 1246 West Pratt Blvd., Penthouse,
Chicago, IL 60626, tel. 312-973-3999, fax 312-973-3230, e-mail
[email-masked].

****  S T U D E N T  W R I T E S . . .     Under the auspices of its First
Amendment Education Project, the American Civil Liberties Union of Northern
California (ACLU/NC) has developed a number of resources for student
journalists and their advocates:  

 "Express Yourself" is a multimedia MAC-compatible computer program created
to teach high school students about their First Amendment rights.

 The ACLU/NC also offers a "mobile training for members of your Board of
Education on the rights of student journalists."  As project director Nancy
Otto explains:  "We are finding that many board members do not know that
California has special protections for student expression and apply pressure
on administrators and journalism advisors to censor articles in student
newspapers."

 Finally, the ACLU sponsors an annual student journalism conference.  This
year's conference -- "Writing Your Rights" -- is slated for October 22, on
the campus of the University of California at Berkeley.

C o n t a c t :  Nancy Otto, ACLU/NC, 1663 Mission Street, Suite 460, San
Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-621-2006 (ext. #37), e-mail [email-masked].

****  T V  P R I D E . . .      Media analyst Steven Capsuto is working on a
new book, "Alternate Channels: The Battle for Lesbian, Gay & Bisexual Images
in Broadcasting, 1930s-1990s," which will be published "sometime in the next
two years."  "In the meantime," says Capsuto, "I'm sharing my research
findings (and lots of video clips) in a two-hour lecture."

C o n t a c t :  Anyone seeking a guest speaker for their club, classroom or
organization can reach Capsuto by e-mail ([email-masked]) or browse his
WWW site (http://wanda.pond.com/~stevecap/lecture.htm).

****  E - M E D I A . . .      Lance Manload compiles "daily entertainment
links to news, gossip, and other celebrity stuff" in his free e-mail list
service -- "Manload on Hollywood."  Each bulletin offers a collection of
general entertainment headlines and corresponding web sites, which point to
the original story source for each item.  To subscribe to "Manload on
Hollywood," send an e-mail message to [email-masked]; for "the day's
hottest technology news," e-mail [email-masked].  The service compliments
Manload's net broadcasts, featured each weeknight on the comedic "Dan & Scott
Show" (8-10pm CST, at http://www.radiofun.com and http://www.audionet.com;
free software available at http://ialabs.com/controlpanel).

C o n t a c t :  Lance Manload, tel. 888-266-3391 (studio line), fax
414-677-1230, e-mail [email-masked] or [email-masked],
http://www.radiofun.com.

[3]

W  E  B    W  A  T  C  H

****  I N  T H E  Z O N E . . .    The publishers of Q-Zone -- "Your List of
Gay Websites & Resources" -- promise:  "You'll find everything from travel to
online entertainment.  If you know of a site that we don't have, please let
us know about it.  We would love to add you to our growing list of sites"
(http://www.lifestyle.com/qzone.htm).

****  H Y P E R  A C T I V I S T S . . .    Tips and touts on "how to become
a more effective activist" can be found at the 20/20 Vision web site
(http://www.2020vision.org).  Offering advice that would be useful to
individual or collective media activists, 20/20 Vision's succinct "Guide to
Effective Activism" covers:  "Making Your Letters and Phone Calls to Policy
Makers More Effective, " "Writing Effective Letters to the Editor," and
"Getting Active On-Line."

[End of main column text]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A B O U T  M E D I A L E R T S

"MEDIAlert!" [TM] (formerly "The GLAAD Media Watch") is a biweekly,
activist-oriented column of media criticism, focused on
lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender issues.

This column has been distributed continuously since 1992, on request, as a
community service.  Recipients may print, publish or post this material, in
whole or part, under this or any title, without prior permission.  When
appropriate, attribution may be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "MEDIAlert!"
 File copies of publications using all or part of any "MEDIAlert!" are
appreciated.

Some current and back issues of "MEDIAlert!" are available online, through
the Queer Resources Directory (http://www.qrd.org/qrd/media/medialert/) or
the news section of AOL's "Gay & Lesbian Community Forum" (keyword: GLCF).

Next "MEDIAlert!"   =   October 1-15, 1996.

Contact:  "MEDIAlert!," 163 Park Street, San Francisco, CA 94110-5835,
voice-mail 415-826-5203,  fax 415-826-5203 (ext. 8), e-mail
[email-masked].

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A U T H O R  N O T E S

Al Kielwasser is the editor of "Gay People, Sex and the Media" (New York:
 Haworth Press).  He has taught a wide range of courses and workshops in
media theory and practice, and his research appears in the "Journal of
American Culture," "Journal of Homosexuality," "Journal of Popular Culture,"
"Feedback: The Journal of the Broadcast Education Association," "The High
School Journal," "Critical Studies in Mass Communication," and other
publications; he was twice elected Chair of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance
Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

E R R A T A

In "Rosie Colored Glasses" [MEDIAlert!, September 1-14], "[email-masked]"
is listed as an e-mail address for Rosie O'Donnell.  Unlike other America
OnLine screen names, however, O'Donnell's official moniker ("TheR0SIE") does
NOT also function as her generic ("@aol.com") internet address.  AOL users
should post e-mail for O'Donnell and her staff through the new Rosie
O'Donnell Online site; "Rosie is catching up on her e-mail," cautions AOL,
"so don't expect an IMMEDIATE reply...."

  ______________________________________________

   Shape the forces that shape our society . . .
   challenge homophobia in and through the media.
  _______________________________________________