Subject: MediAlert! - June 21-27
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 17:36:06 -0400

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INDEX:  MediAlert! for 27 June 96
-Item 1: "Heart of the Matter" [Have A Heart; America's Talking; Salt Lake
City School Board; Gay/Straight Student Alliance; National Education
Association - Human & Civil Rights Unit].
-Item 2: "Demonizing Dykes" [National Enquirer; Pointer Sisters].
-Item 3: "(Re)Viewing Lorde" [A Litany for Survival-The Life and Work of
Audre Lorde; P.O.V.; PBS; USA Today].
-Item 4: "MediAlert!/BRIEFS" [Ann Landers; PFLAG; KQED-TV; USA Network;
Breaking the Surface-The Greg Louganis Story; QWorld; Gay American Composers;
CRI; Hollywood Pictures; The Rock].
Item-5: "Sound & (Un)Sound Bites" [Stephen Whitty/San Jose Mercury News;
Eugene Narrett/AFA Journal].
-General Information [about MediAlerts; author notes].
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  M   e   d   i   A   l    e   r   t   !
  ____________________________

  June 21-27, 1996      Al Kielwasser

[1]

H  E  A  R  T    O  F    T  H  E     M  A  T  T  E  R

"Have A Heart" is a breezy talk show that airs each weekday on the "America's
Talking" (AT) cable network.  The program is built around viewer calls, taken
in response to a "Question-of-the-Day.  The June 19 broadcast included a
segment on Salt Lake City's School Board, which recently voted to ban a
"Gay/Straight Student Alliance."

The Gay/Straight Alliance had been formed to combat homophobic ignorance, and
was one of dozens of "non-academic" student clubs.  Prohibiting ONLY this
club -- which the school board wanted to do -- would have violated equal
access protections.  So, rather than allow the Gay/Straight Alliance to meet,
the board opted to ban ALL student clubs.  "Have A Heart's"
Question-of-the-Day asked:  "Did the Salt Lake City Board of Education go too
far?"

To help discuss this issue, the show featured Lee Berg, a representative of
the National Education Association's (NEA) Human and Civil Rights Unit.  The
choice in guests was a smart one.  The NEA is the largest teacher's union in
the United States, and has been a significant voice of reason -- advocating
for educational equity and lesbian/gay inclusion in textbooks and other
curricula.

Unfortunately, however, Berg's well-intentioned comments also revealed a
heterosexist slant.  Framed and echoed by the show's daily question, this
bias is worth a closer look.  It repeats a persistent, debilitating rhetoric
found throughout the mainstream media.

According to Berg, the Salt Lake City School Board's decision is "a tragedy
for all the other non-academic groups."  It's tragic, he further explained,
because "you cut out the chess clubs, the Bible clubs, the computer club...."
 He added:  "I would encourage the students in all the clubs....  to continue
to meet on an informal basis."

The point NOT made by Berg is that prohibiting the Gay/Straight Alliance
would have been reprehensible even if it were the ONLY club banned.  The real
tragedy is homophobia, which is actively promoted by the school board's ban.
 THAT situation -- of rampant, institutionalized bigotry -- is hardly
comparable to the "tragedy" experienced by chess club members.

Of course, homophobia DOES affect everyone, queer and non-queer alike.
 However, denying what is fair and factual -- and promoting what is hateful
and bigoted -- is, IN ITSELF, an immoral and tragic act of stupidity.  This
point was further obscured by the host of "Have A Heart," Bob Raser, as he
asked callers:  "Did the board go to far in banning EVERYTHING?"

Raser's question assumes a heterosexist metric; the weight of homophobic
ignorance is not measured, only its "side-effects."  The priorities of
(presumptively) heterosexual "others" are what matter most.

Attempting to be supportive, Raser was quick to point out that the
Gay/Lesbian Student Alliance wasn't a social club -- "with dancing and that
sort of thing" -- but a "support group."  This, too, is a common media theme.
 Queer teens are permitted the necessities (life-saving therapy), but not the
pleasures (simple recreation) of life.  Ironically, the pursuit of romantic
(let alone sexual) happiness remains -- literally -- out of the question.

To be fair, neither Berg nor Raser seemed to INTEND such heterosexist
messages.  Berg was clearly opposed to the school board decision, which he
described as "myopic" and inexcusable -- particularly in "a day an age when
violence against lesbian and gay students [is common]."  The show did not
feature a homophobic minister or quack psychologist to oppose or "balance"
Berg's position, and callers were overwhelmingly supportive.

Nevertheless, the consequences of heterosexism -- especially as a form of
media bias -- should not be underestimated.  Or excused.

In many ways, heterosexism -- disguised as "moderation" -- is more insidious
than homophobia.  Though both are destructive, the latter bias is easier to
identify, and combat.  In the mainstream media, heterosexism works to limit
the range of liberating thought.  The significant questions are those NOT
posed.

What are the merits of so-called "Bible clubs," organized to spread the
hateful message of the Christian Coalition?  What "right" do JROTC units have
to promote the Pentagon's anti-gay propaganda?  In order to defend the
Gay/Straight Alliance, Berg argues that all student groups possess an equal
worth.  But do they really?

Banning the Gay/Straight Alliance isn't repugnant because banning ANY or
EVERY club would be.  This ban is repugnant because homophobia ALWAYS is.

****  ACTION/OPTIONS:  To share your opinions with AT and/or the NEA,
contact:  "Have A Heart," America's Talking, 2200 Fletcher Avenue, 6th Floor,
Fort Lee, NJ 07024, fax 201-346-6534; Lee Berg, National Education
Association, Human and Civil Rights Unit, 1201 Sixteenth Street NW,
Washington, DC 20036-3290, tel. 202-822-7700.
 To educate the School Board, contact:  The President, and All Members, Salt
Lake City Board of Education, Salt Lake City School District, 440 E. 100
Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84111-1898, tel. 801-578-8559.
 The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Teachers Network (GLSTN) has spearheaded the
formation of gay/straight student alliances; for more information (including
activist/organizing resources that can be used in local school districts),
contact:  GLSTN, 122 W. 26th Street, Suite 1100, New York, NY 10001, tel.
212-727-0135, fax 212-727-0254, e-mail [email-masked].

[2]

D  E  M  O  N  I  Z  I  N  G     D  Y  K  E  S

Over the past few years, the "National Enquirer" has attempted to reposition
itself a trustworthy tabloid -- the reputable exception in an otherwise
disreputable market niche.  To some extent, that effort has been sincere; the
newspaper regularly scoops its competition on the "show biz" beat.  After 25
years in the tabloid trade, however, the "Enquirer" is still peddling
homophobic sleaze.

The newspaper's June 11 edition -- a "special anniversary double issue" --
contains a particularly offensive article, written by staff reporter Patricia
Shipp.  A huge headline sets the tone:  "Pointer Sister Nightmare -- Booze
and Drugs with Lesbian Lover."  

Shipp's article purports to be an "exclusive interview" with bonnie Pointer,
who "turned to the 'Enquirer' for help....  and laid bare the Pointer
Sisters' most shocking family secrets for the first time."  

"Pop superstar Bonnie Pointer is desperately battling to save her sister June
from a drugs-and-alcohol nightmare she fears is taking June straight to the
grave," Shipp writes.  "But heartbroken Bonnie say's she's been thwarted by
her baby sister's lesbian lover -- who wants to keep June in a drugged-out
craze so she can freely spend the stoned singer's money!"  As if that weren't
enough, Shipp adds:  "The divorced singer's lesbian lover used to be her
husband's mistress!"

Throughout the article, Shipp makes no distinction amongst "booze," "drugs"
and "lesbian lover."  All are collectively assumed in the "destructive
downward spirals" of "June's demons."  "We've all tried to intervene in this
horrible situation," Shipp quotes Bonnie Pointer.  "But June will physically
fight anyone who tries to take away her 'stash' or her lover."

Even if such assertions are reality-based, Shipp's interview moves well
beyond the "basic facts."  June Pointer might very well be a lesbian AND a
drug addict.  In the "Enquirer's" homophobic fantasy, however, she becomes a
LESBIAN DRUG ADDICT.  The distinction is hardly trivial.

Whether motivated by malice or stupidity (or both), Shipp's style is a
bigoted throwback.  Historically, journalists have routinely included
homosexuality on a "laundry list of social evils," reinforcing the spurious
associations that fuel homophobia.

By contrast, heterosexuality is always incidental to scandal.  When the
drunks and drug addicts are straight, sexual orientation is not news.  The
"National Enquirer" has yet to run a headline decrying the nightmare of
"Booze and Drugs with Heterosexual Lover."

****  ACTION/OPTIONS:  Register complaints with Patricia Shipp, Staff
Reporter, and Malcolm Hayes, Managing Editor, "National Enquirer," Lantana,
FL 33464, tel. 561-586-1111 (Florida) or 310-657-9872 (Los Angeles), e-mail
[email-masked].  Reaching a readership of millions, the
"Enquirer's" circulation has ranked among the Top-25 magazines nationwide.

[3]

(  R  E  )  V  I  E  W  I  N  G     L  O  R  D  E 

To coincide with Pride Month, a number of PBS stations are broadcasting "A
Litany for Survival: The Life and Work of Audre Lorde."  Reviewing the
documentary for "USA Today" (June 18), TV critic Matt Roush opens on a sour
note:  "Black. Lesbian. Feminist. Warrior. Poet. Mother.  Sounds like the
prototypical PBS profile subject, carrying a lioness' share of
socio-political baggage.  Audre Lorde chose these words to describe herself
upon accepting the honorary position of New York state poet for 1991-93. (She
would die of breast cancer in 1992.)"

Offering no credentials for his ability to judge either poetry or politics,
Roush describes Lorde as "one of those activist-artists whose life may been
their greatest work."   He adds, dismissively:  "One's appreciation for this
loving film tribute may depend on how high the threshold for flowery
statements of empowerment such as, 'I had to be everything I was.'"  

Ultimately, Roush manages to rise briefly above his (unwarranted)
condescension and he gives the documentary three stars (out of four).
 "Filmmakers Ada Gay Griffin and Michelle Parkerson weave vignettes from
Lorde's life story with snatches of her poetry and bluesy music over newsreel
footage of the political realities that informed her work (the Rosenberg's
execution, marches on Washington)," he writes.  "... Lorde always found
occasion to express her voice."

"Toward the film's poignant end, that expressive voice is cracked and
strained from the ravages of her disease, but no less potent in its fusion of
the political and personal," Roush concludes.  "The intersection of art and
life is where this 'Litany of Survival' flourishes."

"A Litany for Survival" is  a co-presentation of P.O.V. and the Independent
Television Service.  "USA Today" boasts the nation's largest newspaper
circulation, and reaches some six million readers daily.

****  ACTION/OPTIONS:  As warranted, share constructive criticism ("USA
Today," 1000 Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, VA 22229, fax 703-247-3108, e-mail
[email-masked]) or supportive comments (PBS, 1320 Braddock Place,
Alexandria, VA 22314 tel. 703-739-5000 or 800-356-2626, fax 703-739-5295,
http://www.pbs.org/insidePBS/email.html).

[4]

M  E  D  I  A  L  E  R  T !   /   B  R  I  E  F  S

***  GOOD ADVICE . . .    Ann Landers -- the undoubted queen advice
columnists -- has given a noteworthy boost to PFLAG's visibility and stature.
 In her top-syndicated column (June 18), Landers printed a letter from two
PFLAG coordinators -- Bob and Laurie -- who thanked her "for stating that
counseling will not change sexual orientation."  The couple went on to
recommend (in some detail) PFLAG's various services, and encouraged "both gay
children and their parents contact their local chapter."

 As the letter explained:  "PFLAG promotes the health and well-being of gay,
lesbian and bisexual persons, their families and their friends and offers
support to help them cope with an adverse society.  We provide education to
enlighten an ill-informed public and advocacy to end discrimination and
secure equal civil rights.  PFLAG provides opportunities for dialog about
sexual orientation and acts to create a society that is healthy and
respectful of human dignity."

 In reply, Landers wrote:  "Dear Bob and Laurie -- I have received a lot of
letters from parents who want to be supportive of their gay children.  You
are sure to get a big response.  There are a great many people out there who
need your help."

Contact:  Ann Landers, P.O. Box 11562, Chicago, IL 60611-0562;  Parents,
Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, 1101 14th Street, Suite 1030,
Washington, DC 20005.

***  WEB WATCH . . .    "QWorld" (http://www.qworld.org) claims to be "one of
the first [free] sites on the Web to offer interactive chat like that on the
commercial online services."  The site also features various information
resources, including QZine ("a monthly online magazine") and Visibilities ("a
lesbian magazine with an international staff").  In its review of the site,
"The Net" magazine notes:  "Once you're ready to journey out of QWorld, the
massive collections of links will help you follow the rainbow streaming
through the net."

***  HISTORICAL RECORD . . .     Philip Kennicott, classical music critic for
the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (June 16), reports:  "CRI Records (Composers
Recording Incorporated), a non-profit company devoted to recording American
music that might not otherwise make it to a wide public, has released a
compilation disc titled 'Gay American Composers.'"  "It's heartening to see
people who wish to ignore such things being reminded that music doesn't exist
in a political and social vacuum, no matter how much sanctifying dust it
gathers over years sitting in the marble tower of the Great Canon," Kennicott
says.

 Kennicott also notes that "the CRI disc does send very clearly a message
that is as obvious as it is astonishing:  With only a few notable exceptions,
the music that America produced in the 20th century -- the basic idioms, the
characteristic sounds, and the works that defined their times -- were written
by gay men....  Straight composers of similar stature form a
disproportionately smaller list (in real numbers, and even more tellingly,
when compared to the ratio of gay and straight people in society at large)." 

 According to CRI producer Joe Dalton, "the record is doing very well.  For
many of the composers on this disc, 'Gay American Composers' will be their
most successful recording, reaching a larger audience than they have before."

Contact:  St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 900 N. Tucker, St. Louis, MO 63101, fax
314-340-3139, e-mail [email-masked].

***  TELL A VISION . . .    As part of its documentary series on San
Francisco neighborhoods, KQED-TV plans to focus on "The Castro."  Currently
in production the episode s slated to air in March 1997.  In preparation, the
station is seeking input from anyone with pertinent "home movies, photos, or
other memorabilia."  KQED is the CPB/PBS-affiliate for the San Francisco Bay
Area, and a major source of PBS programming nationwide.

Contact:  KQED-TV, 2601 Mariposa Street, San Francisco, CA 94110-1400, tel.
415-553-2850, fax 415-553-2380, e-mail [email-masked].

***  COMING ATTRACTION . . .    Writing in "Variety," Ray Richmond reports:
 "Cable's USA Network, continuing its quest to lend its name to bolder and
classier projects, will co-produce a film based on the life of the
controversial Olympic diving gold medalist Greg Louganis.  'Breaking the
Surface: The Greg Louganis Story' will be scheduled for broadcast during the
second quarter of 1997."  

According to Richmond, the movie will be "based on Louganis'  bestselling
1995 autobiography, in which he candidly discussed his tumultuous personal
life, including his homosexuality and HIV-positive diagnosis."  

Ian Valentine, USA's vice president of longform programming, has indicated
strong support for the project.  "This is an important and socially
significant film -- and a perfect example of the type of high-quality
entertainment that USA wants to be a home for," Valentine said.

Contact:  USA Network, 1230 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10020;
"Daily Variety," 5700 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90036, tel.
213-857-6660, fax 213-857-0742.

***  ROCKY ROLE . . .    "The Rock" -- a new feature film from Hollywood
Pictures -- requires a unique suspension of disbelief.  Set in San Francisco,
the script includes ONE (and ONLY one) gay character.  Moreover, not all
audience members have been amused by "The Rock's" gay role.  According to
critics, the comedic character  -- a shallow, cowardly hairdresser -- is more
laughable than funny.  When trapped in an elevator with Sean Connery (the
film's heroic, heterosexual lead), the gay character exclaims:  "I don't care
if you threw that man off the building, I only care if you like your hair!"
 Previews for "The Rock" feature the scene -- an apparent selling point in
the studio's eyes.

Contact:  Michael Lynton, President, Hollywood Pictures, 500 South Buena
Vista Street, Burbank, CA 91521, fax 818-841-9463,
http://www.disney.com/Mail;  Jerry Bruckheimer, Producer, "The Rock,"
Simpson-Bruckheimer Films, 500 South Buena Vista Street, Animation 1B,
Burbank, CA 91521.

[5]

S  O  U  N  D    B  I  T  E   .  .  .  .

"It's not hard for audiences to find drag comedies, or the occasional liberal
tearjerker.  But other choices are more limited.  Want to see a comedy in
which the characters aren't funny simply because they're gay?  Want to see a
show about lesbians happily raising children?  Then go see an independent
film....  because you won't see that in a studio release.  Comic drag queens,
Hollywood can handle....  Happy lesbians and joyful gay sex scare it to
death."

 -- Stephen Whitty, staff film writer, in the "San Jose Mercury News" (June
17, 1996).

(  U  N  )  S  O  U  N  D    B  I  T  E   .  .  .  .

"Do we, then, want censorship of sex and violence, including parental rights
to restrict pandering in schools?  Emphatically we do.  Television, films and
advertising are going to have to clean house, or citizens must do it for
them.  Explicitly political speech must be protected, but we must cease
offering its protective umbrella to hucksters and to bacchantes of unnatural
lifestyles....  It is often argued that censorship would do little to stem
America's cultural rot, but in truth it would do a lot."

 -- Eugene Narrett, professor of English, Farmingham State College, in the
"American Family Association Journal" (February, 1996).  The AFA is Right
Wing organization, dedicated to promoting homophobia and heterosexism in the
media.

[end]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABOUT MEDIALERTS

"MediAlert!" [TM] is an activist-oriented column of media criticism, focused
on lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender issues, and distributed weekly on
request.

Recipients may print, publish or post this material, in whole or part, under
this or any title, without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution
can be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "MediAlert."  File copies of
publications using "MediAlert!" are appreciated.

Contact:  "MediAlert!," 163 Park Street, San Francisco, CA 94110-5835,
voice-mail 415-826-5203,  fax 415-826-5203 (ext. 8),  e-mail
[email-masked].

Next "MediAlert!"  =  June 28 - July 5, 1996

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTHOR NOTES

Al Kielwasser is the editor of "Gay People, Sex and the Media" (Haworth
Press) and has taught a wide range of courses and workshops in media theory
and practice.  His research appears in the "Journal of American Culture,"
"Journal of Homosexuality," "Journal of Popular Culture," "Feedback: The
Journal of the Broadcast Education Association," "Critical Studies in Mass
Communication," and other publications; recently, he completed a two-year
term as Chair of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco
Bay Area (GLAAD/SFBA).

______________________________________________

 Shape the forces that shape our society . . .
 challenge homophobia in and through the media.
_______________________________________________