Subject: MediAlert! -- May 31
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 15:48:39 -0400

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
INDEX:  "MediAlert! for 31 May 1996"
-Item 1: "Spinning The Story" [SPIN Magazine; Exodus International].
-Item 2: "Recruiting Homophobes" [Lightwave Kids Club; American Family
Association; Lightwave Publishing Inc.].
-Item 3: "Leo The Lyin'" [John Leo; U.S. News & World Report].
-Item 4: "MediAlert/BRIEFS" [U.S. News; Citizen's Toolbox; Reprise Records;
Sing, Don't Sign!; Prairie Dyke].
-Item 5: "E-MediAlerts" [GAY TV Weekly Listings; Society of Professional
Journalists; NLGJA Update].
-Item 6: "(Un)Sound Bite" [Donald Wildmon].
-General Information [about MediAlerts; author notes].
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

  M   e   d   i   A   l    e   r   t   !
  ____________________________

  May 31, 1996        Al Kielwasser

[1]

S P I N N I N G   T H E    S T O R Y 

An obsession for "objectivity" has often lead reporters away from the facts
-- if not the truth.  In an effort to report objectively on issues of public
controversy, journalists bend toward a banal "quote vs. quote" style.  This
is especially so when it comes to covering certain "gay issues."

Mr. Fundamentalist Christian said:  "Homosexuals can be cured."  But said Ms.
Gay Rights Activist:  "No, they can't."

Missing from such journalism is any sense of the reporter's PROFESSIONAL
evaluation of source credibility.  Dueling opinions about homosexuality are
treated not simply as if they were morally equal arguments -- but as if they
were FACTUALLY equivalent statements as well.

Elizabeth Gilbert's "Queer and Loathing" is a welcome exception.  This
feature story, which appears in the June issue of "SPIN" magazine, offers a
caviling account of the reporter's visit to a week-long convention of Exodus
International -- a group for "recovering" homosexuals.

Exodus was founded 20 years ago -- "making it the same age as the psychiatric
community's consensus that homosexuality is not a disorder," Gilbert notes.
 Currently, the organization operates a "central office" in California and
boasts "numerous branches across America, Asia, and Europe."

Gilbert neatly sums up the group's method and madness:  "Exodus rhetoric
avoids the word 'cure,' preferring quasi-therapeutic '90s terms like 'redeem'
and 'recover' instead.  Essentially, the Voyage Out of homosexuality is both
a Miracle and a Long Process of many Growth Stages.  The Sexually Challenged
are Redeemed by Sharing and Disclosing Struggles, and then passing through
Recovery.  However, there is always a Risk of a Fall, by returning to the
Lifestyle.  If a Relapse should occur, the Ex-Gay becomes a Former Ex-Gay,
although he can always try to Re-Recover and become Ex-Gay again."

Quickly, Gilbert rejects any claims to a credible social-scientific basis for
such "recoveries."  On the "concept of curing homosexuality," she quotes U.C.
Davis psychologist Gregory Herek who -- "summarizing the consensus of his
peers" --  deems the notion "absolutely absurd."

"It's understood today that telling homosexuals they can and should change
inflicts great psychological harm," says Herek.  "It's frankly unethical."

Gilbert herself takes on a paragon of immorality -- quack psychologist Joseph
Nicolosi.  Nicolosi is the author of "Reparative Therapy of Male
Homosexuality" (which Herek describes as "a work of impressively poor
scholarship") and founder of the "National Association for Research and
Therapy of Homosexuality."  NARTH functions as something of a "think [sic]
tank" for organizations like Exodus (and is a frequent source of homophobic
misinformation in the media).

Homosexuality is "a developmental disorder...  caused by the father,"
Nicolosi told Gilbert.  So, she asked:  "Would you say that every homosexual
on Earth had a hurtful relationship with his father?"  "Of course," Nicolosi
replied.

When pressed to explain further, Nicolosi gave an answer Gilbert
sarcastically describes as "a triumph of imagination, if perhaps not of
science."  "You will hear a shallowness in the voice of any homosexual who
claims to love and respect his father," Nicolosi said.  "On the other hand,
when the straight man talks lovingly about his father, you will hear a
richness in his voice."

After dispatching with Nicolosi, Gilbert focuses -- for several pages -- on
deconstructing a painful absurdity that runs through the seminars, literature
and membership of Exodus International.  "Unsurprisingly, Exodus leaders are
not impressed by the currents of professional opinion.  As one counselor
bragged, 'My only qualification for being here is that I am a B.A.  And that
stands for Born Again!'"

"Loneliness and isolation are not discouraged by Exodus," Gilbert explains.
 "One seminar class called 'Being Single and Happy' was described in the
program notes thusly:  'If the single life was good enough for Jesus, it may
be good enough for you!'"

Among several of the first-hand experiences recounted by Gilbert:  "At lunch
on the second day, an ex-lesbian named Carol told me she'd run into her
ex-lesbian ex-lover in the cafeteria.  'I didn't know she was here!' Carol
shared.  'The temptation was great, but Jesus stood between us and prevented
a relapse.'"

"My guess is that two millennia ago Jesus had no idea he would ever have to
stand between Carol and her ex-girlfriend in a San Diego cafeteria," Gilbert
quips.

Other convention seminars included "Relapse Prevention," "My Husband is No
Longer Homosexual, So Why Am I So Miserable?," and "Misandry--The Hatred of
Men."  "Exodus teaches that men often become gay because the feminist
movement has taught women to strip men of their God-given masculine power,"
Gilbert reveals.

Beyond the obvious conclusion -- that "cures" promote misery, sexism and
homophobia -- Gilbert speculates that Exodus can be, at best, an
unintentional stepping-stone for the deeply-repressed.  A (relatively)
independent audit of the files of 800 Exodus members revealed no absolute
cures.  "Disillusioned members usually leave the organization for an openly
gay life," she says.

However, "not everyone survives the intense personal guild of failure."
 Noting at least one Exodus-induced suicide, Gilbert also exposes the
hypocrisy -- and real hatred -- that rots at the heart of all "change
ministries."

"Who taught Exodus members all this guilt?," she asks.  "The week's
testimonies revealed surprisingly persistent patterns of childhood trauma.
 It was incredible how many speakers had been molested, beaten, or neglected
as children....  They spoke of suicide attempts and double lives.  They spoke
of families, coworkers, and congregations turning on them...."

"No wonder they wanted a change," Gilbert concludes.  "They never needed
cures for their sexual orientation.  They needed cures for their lousy
lives."

What they needed -- what we all need -- are more CURES FOR HOMOPHOBIA.
 Reporting effectively on the search for such cures must become a priority in
mainstream journalists.  For in many ways, reporting IS the search itself.

****  ACTION/OPTIONS:  Send compliments and comments to Elizabeth Gilbert,
Staff Writer, and Christy Goldfinch, Managing Editor, "SPIN," 6 West 18th
Street, New York, NY 10011, tel. 212-633-8200, fax 212-633-9041, e-mail
[email-masked].  Letters intended for publication should be directed to
"Attn: Point Blank," at the same address (include sender's "full name,
address and phone number for verification").

 Re/Sources:  Objectivity is the subject of innumerable commentaries.  In
"The Mass Media--Opposing Viewpoints" (St. Paul:  Greenhaven Press; N.
Bernards and T. Modl, editors), journalist Jack Newfield takes the (as yet)
uncommon position:  "The point is not to equate objectivity with truth.  It
was objective to quote Joe McCarthy during the 1950s; it was the truth to
report that most of what he had to say was unfounded slander....  The goal
for all journalists should be to come as close to complex truth as humanly
possible.  But the truth does not always reside exactly in the middle.  Truth
is not the square root of two balanced quotes.  I don't believe I should be
'objective' about racism, or the tax loopholes for the rich....  Certain
facts are not morally neutral."

 Additional contacts:  American Psychological Association, Committee on
Lesbian and Gay Concerns, 750 First Street N.E., Washington, DC 20002-4241,
tel. 202-336-6052, http://www.apa.org/; Fundamentalists Anonymous (an
organization which "helps individuals trying to leave aggressively
domineering fundamentalist churches"), P.O. Box 20324, Greeley Square
Station, New York, NY 10001, tel. 212-696-0420; Gregory M. Herek, PhD
(Associate Research Psychologist at UC Davis), P.O. Box 11196, Berkeley, CA
94701.

[2]

R E C R U I T I N G   H O M O P H O B E S

The American Family Association (AFA) -- an advocacy group dedicated to
PROMOTING homophobia in pop culture -- has announced a new multi-media plan
for recruiting children into bigotry's lifestyle.  The AFA has "joined a
growing group of ministries in presenting Lightwave Kids Club."

Ads for the Lightwave program describe it as "a devotional media mix of
full-color magazines, exciting music and drama audio tapes and live-action
videos."  According to the "AFA Journal," the cornerstone of this new venture
is "the colorful 'Lightwave Kids Club' magazine."  Each edition will feature
"a kid-sized message from AFA President Don Wildmon."

Rick Osborne, the president of Lightwave Publishing, boasts endorsements from
other lucrative "ministries."  In addition to the AFA, he includes:  Campus
Crusade for Christ, Christian Financial Concepts, and The 700 Club.

"We are excited to be associated with Lightwave Kids Club," said AFA
vice-president Tim Wildmon.  "Lightwave Kids Club is a tool to teach our
children in an entertaining way the values AFA defends every day."

****  ACTION/OPTIONS:  Monitor the right-wing media monitors!  To request
free "trial" subscriptions to the "AFA Journal," contact the American Family
Association, P.O. Drawer 2440, Tupelo, MS 38803, tel. 601-844-5036, fax
601-844-9176, e-mail [email-masked], http://www.gocin.com/afa/home.htm.
 For "a FREE preview issue of Lightwave Kids Club magazine," contact
Lightwave Publishing Inc., tel. 1-800-LUVS-GOD (mention offer #MP00015).

 Re/Sources:  The National Gay & Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) has compiled a
"Fight the Right Action Kit," which includes media advocacy tips.  Contact
NGLTF, 2320 17th Street N.W., Washington, DC 20009, tel. 202-332-6483, fax
202-332-0207, e-mail [email-masked],
http://www.qrd.org/qrd/www/FTR/tblcntnt.html.

[3]

L E O   T H E   L Y I N '

John Leo -- talk show host, columnist, and arch-bigot -- writes "On Society,"
a weekly column for "U.S. News & World Report" magazine.  Standard
perversions -- feminism, multiculturalism, the "liberal media" -- are Leo's
fodder.  Frequently, of course, he rails against homosexuality.

Leo has pretty much covered the anti-gay gamut, in fact.  Past columns have
accused homosexuals of being "hypersensitive" to homophobia, spreading
tax-funded obscenity, and causing early death.  Leo has even blamed the
victims of hate violence for encouraging their own bashings; sympathy-seeking
homosexuals get beaten, he suggested, in order to "advance their special
interest agendas."

In his most recent column ("Miss Piggy Was A Smarter Choice," U.S. News, June
3), Leo takes a swipe at higher education.  While not aimed at homosexuality
per se, this column is ironically telling.

College courses that are not blindly devoted to "traditional" matter --
white, heterosexist, male supremacy -- have become favored subjects of
conservative ridicule.  Arguing that academia has been corrupted by the
invasive "power of celebrity culture," Leo puts his own spin on that
recurrent charge.

In particular, Leo complains:  "Since colleges tend to be financially
desperate, consumer-driven places now, the curriculum is more entertaining,
more open to popular tastes and what students already know and want to hear
more about."  Consequently, "courses on Batman, comic strips and TV shows are
routine."

For Leo, it seems, universities reached their zenith when "driven" by the
narrow concerns of wealthy elites.  He utterly fails to grasp (or admit) a
central fact.  Most of the courses that Leo summarily ridicules are not
simply responsive to "popular tastes," but to the more-complex phenomena of
POPULAR CULTURE.

The "comic-strip-TV-show" syllabus that Leo dismisses is actually a
curriculum in MEDIA LITERACY.  Essential to living "the examined life" in our
time, such literacy (like any other) seeks a certain empowerment -- a
capacity for some control over the media and their  pervasive influence.

Thus, in effect, Leo is an advocate of MEDIA ILLITERACY -- a widespread
distraction FROM society.  This hardly a surprise.  The success of homophobic
propaganda depends on it.

****  ACTION/OPTIONS:  Leo's conservative discourse "On Society" --
repeatedly passed off as the self-less concern for community standards -- is
but a self-serving whine.  Send critical feedback to John Leo, Contributing
Editor, and Peter W. Bernstein, Executive Editor, "U.S. News & World Report,"
2400 N Street N.W., Washington, DC 20037-1196, fax 202-955-2685, e-mail
[email-masked].  Correspondence intended for publication should be sent
to "Letters Editor," at the same address (include sender's "full name,
address and daytime phone number").

[4]

M  E  D  I  A  L  E  R  T   /   B  R  I  E  F  S

**  NEWS, AND IMPROVED . . .   The same issue of "U.S. News" that features
John Leo's anti-intellectual rant (June 3) also includes a more-effective
feature -- "The New Civil Rights Battle," by Katia Hetter.  This three-page
story summarizes queer struggles for equity and justice in six general areas:
 "Same-Sex Marriage," "Employment," "Gays in the Military," "Homosexuality
and Schools," "Presidential Politics" and "Cultural Tensions."  
 For the most part, of course, these battles are not really "new" -- just
newly (and lately) discovered mainstream news magazines.  Nevertheless,
Hetter condenses a vat of facts -- while ably avoiding common pitfalls.
 The only weakness:  an unattributed "Pro and Con" page -- typical "U.S.
News" fare -- is glommed on to Hetter's story.  Purporting to examine
"arguments for and against gay marriage," it doesn't.

Contact:  Katia Hetter, Reporter-Researcher, and Peter W. Bernstein,
Executive Editor, "U.S. News & World Report," 2400 N Street N.W., Washington,
DC 20037-1196, fax 202-955-2685, e-mail [email-masked]; "U.S. News"
promotes online discussions of the "Pro and Con" issue through its "citizen's
toolbox" (http://www.usnews.com).

**  REPRISE THE THEME . . .    "Billboard" magazine (June 1) reports:
 "Reprise Records, for the second time in two years, is joining the battle
for gay and lesbian rights by donating a compilation album aimed at raising
funds for grassroots organizations fighting anti-gay political initiatives.
Proceeds from the 16-track cassette 'Sing, Don't Sign!' - which features
Extra Fancy, Fred Schneider, Phranc, Pansy Division, and Ferron, among others
- will help fund Idaho's Decline To Sign campaign."

Contact:  Decline To Sign, P.O. Box 797, Boise, ID 83701, tel. 208-336-5160.

**  SUBMIT! . . .    "Prairie Dyke," a forthcoming (print and online)
magazine, is now "looking for submissions from the lesbian, bi and
transgendered community."  "Our mission is to create a forum for lesbian, bi
and trans discussion, writing, music, and art," says co-publisher Bridget
Pilloud, "as the arena for lesbian work is small, and the talent great."

Contact:  "Prairie Dyke," P.O. Box 83481, Lincoln, NE 68501-3481, e-mail
[email-masked].

[5]

E - M E D I A L E R T S

**  TV GUIDANCE . . .    A must-do listing for the media activist and/or
couch potato!  "GAY TV Weekly Listings" -- a weekly compilation of
queer-themed television -- is now available by automated list service.  To
subscribe, send e-mail to [email-masked] with "SUBSCRIBE GAY-TV" as the
first line in the body of the message (NOT in the Title/Subject field, which
can be left blank).

**  PROS & PROSE . . .    The Society of Professional Journalists operates a
list service that "offers a wealth of tips and useful information."
 According to the "NLGJA Update," this "very active listserv can get
overwhelming in the amount of mail it sends your way, but some real gold is
mixed in with the dross."  To subscribe, send the e-mail message "Subscribe
SPJ [Your Name]" to [email-masked]; "NLGJA Update" is the newsletter
of the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association/Northern California
Chapter (874 Gravenstein Hwy. South, Suite 4, Sebastopol, CA 95472, tel.
415-905-8881, e-mail [email-masked] or [email-masked]).

[6]

( U N ) S O U N D   B I T E 

"What I am recommending you do today is take action AGAINST the radical
homosexual leadership which FALSELY promotes homosexual activity as being
moral, normal and healthy.  That is a lie!  For the sake of our children and
society, we must OPPOSE the spread of homosexual activity!  Just as we must
oppose murder, stealing and adultery!....  Since homosexuals cannot
reproduce, the only way for them to "breed" is to RECRUIT!  And who are their
targets for recruitment?  CHILDREN!....  That's why they push homosexuality
on network TV!  That's why they push homosexuality in our schools!  That's
why they force the government to "protect" them!....  THEY WANT TO FORCE
THEIR PERVERSE LIFESTYLE ON OUR CHILDREN!"

 -- Donald E. Wildmon, American Family Association "Action! Page," April 1996

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
ABOUT MEDIALERTS

"MediAlert!" [TM] is an activist-oriented column of media criticism, focused
on lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender issues, and distributed weekly on
request.

Recipients may print, publish or post this material, in whole or part, under
this or any title, without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution
can be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "MediAlert."  File copies of
publications using "MediAlert!" are appreciated.

Contact:  "MediAlert!," 163 Park Street, San Francisco, CA 94110-5835,
voice-mail 415-826-5203,  fax 415-826-5203 (ext. 8),  e-mail
[email-masked].

Next "MediAlert!"  =  Friday, June 7, 1996

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
AUTHOR NOTES

Al Kielwasser is the editor of "Gay People, Sex and the Media" (Haworth
Press) and has taught a wide range of courses and workshops in media theory
and practice, seeking to integrate activism and academia at the intersection
of queer and popular cultures.  His research appears in the "Journal of
American Culture," "Journal of Homosexuality," "Journal of Popular Culture,"
"Feedback: Journal of the Broadcast Education Association," "Critical Studies
in Mass Communication," and other publications; recently, he completed a
two-year term as Chair of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San
Francisco Bay Area (GLAAD/SFBA).

__________________________________________________

 Shape the forces that shape our society . . .
 challenge homophobia in and through the media.
___________________________________________________