Subject: MediAlert! - Apr. 28
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 22:18:08 -0400

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INDEX: "MediAlert! - April 28"
-Item 1: "Some Of My Best Friends Aren't" [People Magazine; Friends].
-Item 2: "Post Waste" [New York Post; Organization of News Ombudsmen; GOAL].
-Item 3: "Disney Drag" [Disney; AFA; RuPaul's Party Machine; VH-1; Hyperion;
Growing Up Gay; Lettin' It All Hang Out; Donald Duck].
-Item 4: "A Word Of Warning" [Entertainment Weekly; Parent's Guide].
-Item 5: "Media/Briefs" [Texas Triangle/AFA; Sarasota
Herald-Tribune/Petrelis].
-General Information [about GLAAD; about MediAlerts].
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  M  e  d  i  A  l   e  r  t  !
  ___________________

  for the week of 
  April 28, 1996

  by Al Kielwasser 
  Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
  San Francisco Bay Area 

[ 1 ]     S O M E   O F   M Y   B E S T   F R I E N D S   A R E ' N T

With "Friends" as her focus, TV critic Elaine Showalter challenges the
networks to "grow up" -- and finally create LEAD characters that are
UNDENIABLY gay.  Her brief but refreshing commentary appears in the May 6
issue of "People" Magazine ("Picks & Pans: Tube").

According to Showalter, "Friends" has maintained "a running joke" about the
sexual orientation of Chandler, one of the sitcom's central characters,
played by Matthew Perry.  This theme has been a staple ever since the series
debuted in 1994, and Showalter cites several examples:

"Women think [Chandler] is gay and, when he and roommate Joey (Matt LeBlanc)
take baby Ben for a walk, assume they are a couple.  A female coworker of
Chandler's tries to set him up with a guy; even spacey Phoebe (Lisa Kudrow)
has described him as having 'homosexual hair.'  When Chandler grew forlorn
after Joey moved, his gloom fueled media speculation about his coming out
(Joey has since moved back)."

Yet, even as they are encouraged in fiction, these rumors are denied in fact.
 "For their part, the show's creators insist that Chandler is not gay, and
that's that," Showalter writes.  " I guess we are not going to see the
'Friends' episode called 'The One Where Chandler Comes Out.'"

Chandler's unabated heterosexuality could be "fair enough," Showalter
reasons.  After all, "coming out is not a lifestyle choice, like turning
vegetarian.  And much of the recent societal buzz is about stereotypes:
 Exactly what is homosexual hair?  Don't straight men miss old roommates,
too?"  "Besides," Showalter adds, "'Friends' is way beyond the homophobic
leering of a '70's sitcom such as 'Three's Company'...."

Nevertheless, as Showalter suggests, "Friends" also betrays a baneful
double-standard in Hollywood.  The male lead is instinctively reserved for
"heterosexual heartthrobs;" homosexual characters are segregated to
supporting roles.

Showalter concludes:  "Viewers today rightly resist cliches about sexual
identity, but we're also more willing (if 'Friends' would dare us) to accept
the notion that even comic favorites can make discoveries about themselves.
 Gay characters have come along way on prime time, but producers seem
unwilling to make them lead characters.  It is time to grow up.  If Chandler
got a life to match his hair, I'd still be there for him."

Because lesbian and gay characters have been so rare, even supporting roles
represent significant shifts in the sitcosmos.  But there is still a long way
to go.  Restricting queer folk to the back of the cast is simply NOT GOOD
ENOUGH... especially amongst friends.

++++  ACTION/OPTIONS!   Showalter's commentary, though brief, is a welcome
challenge to the diminished expectations of too many TV creators, critics AND
consumers.  Send comments or compliments to:  "People," Time & Life Building,
Rockefeller Center, New York, NY 10020-1393, fax 212-522-0794, e-mail
[email-masked], URL http://www.pathfinder.com/people/.
     - To lobby for a lead at last, contact:  Kevin Bright, Marta Kauffman
and David Crane, Producers, "Friends," Bright/Kauffman/Crane Productions, 300
South Television Plaza, Burbank, CA 91505;  copy your correspondence to Paul
McGuire, Executive Vice President of Prime-Time Programs, and Warren
Littlefield, President, NBC Entertainment, 3000 West Alameda Avenue, Burbank,
CA 91523, tel. 818-840-4444, e-mail [email-masked], [email-masked]
or [email-masked].

[ 2 ]     P O S T   W A S T E

Homophobic editorials are not uncommon at New York's least-reputable
newspaper, the "Post."  The April 8 issue is no exception.  In a deprecatory
editorial headlined "New York's Gay Cops," the newspaper resurrects several
hackneyed delusions.

Drawing (suggestively) from the language of conservative gays, the editorial
begins with a declaration of just how goods things really are for homosexuals
these days:  "In New York -- a city with a substantial homosexual population
-- gay life exists in a state best described as virtual normalcy.  Long gone
are the days when police raided gay bars; long past are the times when
homosexuals feared losing their jobs ....  In fact, no one much cares how
gays live their private lives; there is a substantial consensus that sexual
preference is not a public concern."

But are homosexuals happy?  No, says the "Post."  The newspaper argues:  "One
might imagine that this live-and-let-live, quasi-libertarian arrangement --
which was achieved only in the last generation -- would be regarded by
homosexuals as a major social victory.  Not so.  Gay groups continue
desperately to search for manifestations of discrimination, seeking not
tolerance, but compulsory celebration."

As evidence of this decadence, the "Post" cites recent efforts by the Gay
Officers' Action League (GOAL) to gain legal recognition within the NYPD.
 According to the "Post:"  "The group complains that the Police Department is
unwilling to treat GOAL exactly as it does ethnic and racial fraternal
organizations within the NYPD.  GOAL, for example, protests that the Police
Department band -- a privately managed enterprise -- chooses not to march in
the Gay Pride parade, even though the musicians take part enthusiastically in
the St. Patrick's Day celebration."

The "Post" editorial then spits:  "Pardon us -- but this takes the concept of
'non-discrimination' into the realm of absurdity.  Homosexuals are not an
ethnic group; they are people who choose to define themselves by their sexual
preference -- by what they do behind (or, often, not behind) closed doors.
 It's not too much to ask for tolerance.  But for people who would define
themselves by the kind of leather they wear -- while doing things that can't
be described in a family newspaper -- to demand that they be treated as if
they were an ethnic community seems very much off base.  Indeed, to pretend
that there's a parallel between the Gay Pride parade and Columbus Day borders
on the obscene."

The editorial concludes by noting:  "Only in the land of make-believe can
sexual preference be compared to ethnic heritage.  In the real world, private
organizations (like the Police Band) will continue to reject efforts to force
them to celebrate homosexuality.

Not unexpectedly, the "New York Post" has confused the issues and distorted
the facts.  Apparently, ACCURACY is not one of the hallmarks of "a family
newspaper."

The "Post" reports that the Police Band "chose not to March."  The "New York
Times" describes the situation differently ("Gay Officers Sue NYC Police,
Alleging Bias," April 4), however.  According to the "Times," GOAL accused
the Police Department of discriminating against the group "by not allowing
the league to use a department van during last year's Gay and Lesbian Pride
Parade down Fifth Avenue, and by not allowing the department's marching band
to participate in the event...."

The "Times" also cites several other specific charges of discrimination,
conveniently overlooked by the "Post."  The "Times" reports:  "The group
maintains in the complaint that the Police Department violated constitutional
guarantees by refusing the league permission to have a ceremony and set up a
display at police headquarters honoring the contribution of gay police
officers."  Other fraternal organizations, the "Times" notes, are currently
allowed such "ceremonies and displays."

At every turn, the "Post's" language  -- "sexual preference," "behind closed
doors," "obscene" -- intends no explanation, only disdain.  The bulk of the
editorial is consumed with additional errors of fact or twists of "logic."
 For instance:

   *  The ostensible absence of "police raids" is NOT tantamount to nirvana.
 Nor is it an "arrangement" for which homosexuals should be thankful.  Since
when are victims of persecution expected to thank their attackers for,
finally, stopping the abuse?  Notice that the "Post" is quick to condemn
"thankless" gays, but is utterly silent on the subject of UNREPENTANT
HOMOPHOBES.

   *  Workplace discrimination is hardly, as the "Post" suggests, a thing
"long past."  Various surveys continue to document homophobia's impact on job
security, performance and opportunity -- even in those cities or states that
have legally banned discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.  Of
course, most employers in the U.S. are free to harass, fire and
undercompensate their employees simply because they are (or appear to be)
lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered.

   *  The "Post's" argument that gay groups "search for discrimination" also
ignores endless documentation of discrimination in housing, healthcare,
education, and parenting.  Similarly overlooked are statistics on homophobic
hate violence.
      The National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs tracked 2,212
incidents of hate violence in just 11 cities; slightly fewer incidents were
reported than in the previous year, but the 1995 crimes were more vicious
than ever -- bruised kidneys, fractured skulls, multiple stab wounds, murder.
 The director of the New York City Gay and Lesbian Anti-Violence Project
predicts 1996 will be even worse.

   *  The "Post's" simplistic assertion that homosexuals want to be treated
"exactly as ethnic and racial groups" is problematic -- even when it is made
by homosexuals.  This claim tends to dismiss queers of color and the reality
of racism.  The assertion suggests that "ethnic and racial" groups
(presumptively heterosexual) have already attained full equity and justice,
and that homosexuals (presumptively white) just want their piece of the
bounty.
       The claim also panders to a depraved notion that only some sort of
genetic basis for homosexuality can merit equal treatment under law.  Sexual
orientation might very well be biologically-determined, but the constant
pleading -- "If it WAS a choice, WHO would be gay?" -- is simply pathetic.
 This plea resonates with apologetic begging, really.  And the FIRST item on
Armistead Maupin's list of  seven ways to "strengthen the body politic" is:
 "Stop begging for acceptance ....  Your job is to accept yourself --
joyfully and with no apologies ...."

   *  The "Post's" conclusion, that "no one much cares how gays live their
private lives," seems to have been written in an historical vacuum.  Has no
one at the newspaper heard of Amendment 2... or the myriad other anti-gay
laws that seem very concerned with how gays can -- and cannot -- live their
lives?  What the "Post" meant to say was that no one much cares how gays live
their lives, as long as they don't ask for basic civil liberties, custody of
their own children, fair housing, equal opportunity, or even -- in
homophobia's most extreme expression -- the right to life and happiness.

Ironically, the manifest vitriol of the editorial itself disproves the
"Post's" own allegation.  If "sexual preference is not a public concern," why
do the newspaper's editors spend so much time asserting their heterosexual
supremacy?

The "Post's" final claim -- "private organizations will continue to reject
efforts to force them to celebrate homosexuality" -- is, in effect, a
promise.  Through inaccurate and biased journalism, the "New York Post" will
continue to celebrate homophobia.

++++  ACTION/OPTIONS!   Some promises are not meant to kept (at least, not
easily).  Send continuing criticism and complaints to:  "The New York Post,"
1211 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036, fax 212-930-8546, e-mail
[email-masked].
     - The Organization of News Ombudsmen (ONO) "monitors news and feature
columns, photography, and other forms of media for fairness, accuracy, and
balance, and brings sub-standard items to the attention of the appropriate
members of the news staff" (URL http://www.infi.net/ono/).

[ 3 ]     D I S N E Y   D R A G

The national American Family Association (AFA), "along with other
organizations," has been promoting an on-going boycott of Walt Disney
products and theme parks.  In a recent AFA newsletter, president Donald
Wildmon cites further "evidence" that "Disney is becoming more bold in its
promotion of the homosexual agenda."

According to Wildmon:  "The Walt Disney Company has once again given its
corporate blessing to sexual perversion by publishing and promoting the
autobiography of a homosexual transvestite.  Through it's subsidiary
Hyperion, Disney has published 'Lettin' It All Hang Out,' written by RuPaul,
a well-known 'drag queen' entertainer."  Wildmon further reports that:  "Last
June Hyperion published a book written by three homosexual comedians and
aimed at 'gay youngsters who were raised by heterosexuals' ["Growing Up Gay"]
....  In addition, Hyperion is planning to publish a book by author Daniel
Harris about 'gay culture.'"

As if the new books were not enough, an exasperated Wildmon also accuses
Disney of putting "foul language into cartoon dialogue."  Wildmon claims to
have been personally horrified by a "Walt Disney Cartoon Classics" video in
which Donald Duck says "Fuck You!"

"The use of the 'f' word by Donald Duck is very sick humor," says Wildmon.
 "This is simply another incident where Disney has signed their work with an
obscenity.  The best thing parents can do is to stay away from Disney
products."

++++  ACTION/OPTIONS!   Send counter-boycott messages to:  Michael Eisner,
Chair, The Walt Disney Company, 500 S. Buena Vista Street, Burbank, CA 91521,
tel. 818-560-1000, fax 818-560-1930.
     - In addition to "perverting" the Disney press, RuPaul can now be seen
on VH-1.  The super-model dons a VJ frock for "RuPaul's Party Machine" (April
27) -- a very queer-friendly dance video/chat show.  Send compliments to:
 Video Hits One (VH-1), 1515 Broadway, 22nd Floor, New York, NY 10036, tel.
212-713-6458.

[ 4 ]     A   W O R D   O F   W A R N I N G 

As far as popular glossies go, "Entertainment Weekly" has done better than
some in its coverage of lesbian, gay and bisexual issues.  Last September,
for example, the magazine devoted an issue to "The Gay '90s:  Entertainment
Comes Out of the Closet."  It is especially frustrating, therefore, that this
magazine continues to reinforce the closet mentality through a (slightly)
subtle but serious practice.

"EW" regularly offers brief movie summaries, which are intended to serve as
"Parents' Guides."  These tip sheets tell parents what the movie is about,
whether kids will want to watch it, and if the film contains objectionable
words, violence, scariness, drugs, sex or nudity.

Unfortunately, "EW" has thoughtlessly added "homosexuality" to its shopping
list of content warnings.  Lesbian or gay content is grossly identified as
potentially problematic, whether or not the material has anything to do with
sex or nudity (the only themes that cause HETEROSEXUALITY to be flagged,
though straight sex is never identified as such -- just "sex" itself!).

For example, "EW's" May 3 issue reviews "For The Moment."  The "Parent's
Guide" points out that this movie contains:  "Sex/Nudity: Lill and Lachlan
have sex offscreen; the bare backside of a local woman who sells sexual
favors to the pilots; innuendo about the homosexual relationship between two
pilots.  Drugs/Alcohol: Lachlan and his friend guzzle from a bottle; pilots
buy liquor from a bootlegger.  Appropriate Ages: 13 and up."

In the April 29 issue, "EW" offers parental guidance regarding "Kids In The
Hall:  Brain Candy."  The rating indicates:  "Will Kids Want to Watch It?
 Only fans of the cross-dressing TV troupe will laugh at this no-brainer, and
even they will find it hard to swallow offensive characters like Cancer Boy.
 MPAA: R.  Sex/Nudity: A running gag about a father who has trouble coming to
terms with his homosexuality features the man's bare butt numerous times; Dr.
Cooper has sex offscreen with two women simultaneously.  Drugs/Alcohol: The
whole story is about a mood-altering drug; scientists get drunk; a man has a
drink at a Christmas celebration; cocktails at a party"

"EW's" treatment of "Brain Candy" contrasts with the magazine's listing for
"The Last Supper," which appears in the same issue.  The "Guide" simply
indicates:  "Sex/Nudity: A couple have sex, clothed; one of the women
masturbates under the covers."

Finally, "EW's" March 15 issue -- a "Kids Special Edition" -- reports that
"there are some chuckles to be had from 'The Birdcage,'" adding that"  "Some
parents may be concerned about the movie's homosexual  themes, but the issues
are presented humorously and affectionately ....  Lesson to Extract: Be proud
of who you are and where you come from, no matter what others may think."

Once again, however, homosexuality is singled out on the "Parents' Guide"
warning list:  "Sex/Nudity: Many male and female buttocks in G-strings and a
brief shot of a woman's bare breasts. There's an abundance of gay sexual
innuendo but nothing physical.   Drugs/Alcohol: Wine and liquor are part of
the atmosphere, as tensions mount, so does consumption. Violence/Scariness:
Many pratfalls.  Objectionable Words/Phrases: About 20.  Appropriate Ages: 17
and up."

Though perhaps not intentionally homophobic, the "Parents' Guide" system is
possibly doing more to encourage than challenge parental ignorance.  It is
unfair and unacceptable to routinely classify "gay sexual innuendo" in the
same breath as drug abuse, violence or offensive language.  "Homosexual" is
NOT a warning label.

++++  ACTION/OPTIONS!  Encourage "EW" to bring its guidance system in line
with the magazine's otherwise-enlightened editorial policy.  Contact:  Norman
Pearlstine, Editor-In-Chief, "Entertainment Weekly," 1675 Broadway, New York,
NY 10019, URL http://www.pathfinder.com/ew/.  The magazine can also be
accessed through "EW's" America Online forum (keyword:  EW).

[ 5 ]     M  E  D  I  A  /  B  R  I  E  F  S

     *  B O Y C O T T   B A C K F I R E S .  .  .      Kay Longcope, editor
of the lesbian/gay "Texas Triangle" newspaper, reports that a fundamentalist
boycott targeting her advertisers has apparently backfired.  The campaign had
been orchestrated several months ago by Wyatt Roberts, director of the
American Family Association of Texas and host of a local radio series, "The
Texas Family Update."
     Roberts' radio program was recently canceled by host station KIXL-AM, a
member of the Christian Broadcasting Network.  Additionally, several
"Triangle" advertisers have suggested that the publicity generated by the
boycott actually helped to BOOST their sales.  According to the newspaper,
"First Texas Honda, the site of weekly demonstrations by Roberts' supporters,
is experiencing its most successful year in franchise history."  "For four
months, Wyatt Roberts has tried to drive us out of business," Longcope said.
 "But come next week, he'll be off the airwaves and we'll still be
publishing.  Ironic, isn't it?"
     CONTACT:  Kay Longcope, Editor and Publisher, "Texas Triangle," e-mail
[email-masked];  Wyatt Roberts, State Director, AFA of Texas, P.O. Box
140917, Austin, TX 78714, tel. 512-472-9196;  Gene Bender, General Manager,
KIXL-AM, Suite 300, 3910 S. IH34, Del Valle, TX 78704. 

     *  G O O D   N E W S .  .  .      Writing for the "Sarasota
Herald-Tribune" (April 20), Christine Hawes recently profiled outspoken
activist Michael Petrelis.  Petrelis was in Florida to deliver a speech on
gay men's sex and health at the University of South Florida/New College.  
     Though relatively brief, Hawes' article is a good read that also manages
to avoid the heterosexist pitfalls commonly found in such features.  NO
homophobic bigots are quoted for "balance;" homosexuality, anal sex and other
issues are NOT treated as essential controversies.
     Thus, Hawes manages to capture the particular passion ("I'm HIV-infected
and I will die of AIDS.  I will not die of my inability to get married in
front of a priest") and personal philosophy ("The activism I've embraced,
while abrasive at some times, is good because I push the envelope for all of
us.") that motivate Petrelis' current work.  In effectively representing a
distinctive voice in the queer community, Hawes' column contributes to the
broader goals of fair, accurate and diverse reporting.
     CONTACT:  Christine Hawes, "Sarasota Herald-Tribune," P.O. Box 1719,
Sarasota, FL 33578, fax 813-957-5276.

___________________________________________________

ABOUT GLAAD

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . .   shaping the forces that shape our society.

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is an
independently incorporated, nonprofit organization, dedicated to media
literacy and cultural activism.  GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and
diverse representation of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender lives, in
all forms of mass media and throughout popular culture.

To report any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, call the 24-hour
GLAAD Hotline (415-861-4588), or write to:  Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel.
415-861-2244, fax 415-826-5203 or 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.
____________________________________________________

ABOUT MEMBERSHIP

GLAAD members encourage, enable and engage in "back talk" -- the critical
conversation described by Marshall Mcluhan, when he wrote:  "Propaganda
begins when dialogue ends.  I talk back to media and set off on an adventure
of exploration."

For further information about joining in GLAAD/SFBA's many ventures in media
advocacy and activism, request a membership packet from:  Bonnie Haley, Gay &
Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San
Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail
[email-masked], URL  http://www.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

For membership information in any of the following cities, contact these
Chapter Offices:  Atlanta (tel. 404-876-1398, fax 404-876-4051), Chicago
(tel. 312-871-7633, fax 312-685-8064), Dallas (tel. 214-521-5342 ext. 816,
fax 214-247-5803), Kansas City (tel. 816-374-5927, fax 816-561-7604),
Washington, DC (tel. 202-429-9500, fax 202-857-0077), San Diego (tel.
619-688-0094, fax 619-294-4814).

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area is a
nonprofit [501(c)(3)] organization.
____________________________________________________

ABOUT MEDIALERTS

"MediAlert!" [TM] is a weekly, activist-oriented column of media criticism,
produced and distributed on request by GLAAD/SFBA.  This material may be
printed, published or posted, under this or any title, in whole or part,
without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution may be made to "Al
Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San Francisco"

________________________________________________

Next "MediAlert!"  -  Wednesday, May 8.