Subject: MediAlert! - Apr. 7
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 08:15:01 -0500

------------------------------------------------------------------------
INDEX: "MediAlert! - April 7"
- Item 1: "Homophobia In Focus" [Focus on the Family; America Online; Center
for Media Education; Christian Computing Magazine; Steve Case; DataCenter].
- Item 2: "Teen & Heard" [Soap Opera Magazine; All My Children; Tommy
Michaels; Ben Jorgensen; Brian Gaskill; ABC; GLSTN].
- Item 3:  "The Thought That Counts?" [Parade; Marilyn vos Savant; Ask
Marilyn].
- General Information [about GLAAD; about MediAlerts].
- Errata [Free Speech TV/The 90's Channel].
------------------------------------------------------------------------

  M  e  d  i  A  l   e  r  t  !
  ___________________

  for the week of 
  April 1 - 7, 1996

  by Al Kielwasser 
  Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
  San Francisco Bay Area 

H O M O P H O B I A   I N   F O C U S

The official discussion regarding child welfare and on-line media use has
focused almost exclusively on one theme -- SEX.  Politicians and software
producers alike have harped on the threats, imagined or real, of "cyber
porn."  This debate has left little room for other concerns.  

Recently, for example, the Center for Media Education released a report
asserting the "manipulative, deceptive, and exploitative" ways in which the
children of cyberspace are targeted by advertisers and marketers.  Yet
software manufacturers are hardly rushing to the fore with programs to
facilitate the automatic blocking of product pitches.

Also excluded from much of the Internet debate has been any serious analysis
of the proliferation of so-called "Christian computing;" as one indicator of
a growing market, "Christian Computing Magazine" currently has 90,000
subscribers in over 50 countries.  Many of the new on-line media are
Right-Wing, fundamentalist ventures, serving as vehicles for the same old
sexist and homophobic jeremiads found in their print and broadcast
counterparts.  

James Dobson's "Focus on the Family" forum, distributed through America
Online (AOL), is one of the emergent pulpits for fundamentalist hate.
 Dobson, a professional homophobe, has designed this forum to market his
lucrative "ministry."  He pitches an array of "resources" -- pamphlets,
books, magazines, tapes -- which explain why homosexuality is evil and
beating children is good.

Under the guise of "Youth Culture Resources," much of this material is either
about or aimed at children and young adults.  Typical "Focus" articles
condemn popular bands for "spewing pro-homosexual lyrics" (Bob Smithouser,
"When Teens' Tolerance Turns to Compromise") or attack MTV "and its
long-standing promotion of the gay lifestyle" (Jeff Hooten, "Breaking the
Culture's Grip").  Other alarmist "resources" provide guidelines for keeping
"pro-homosexual" books out of libraries and combating the "homosexual agenda
invading schools nationwide." 

In the public or "message board" section of Dobson's forum, the talk is just
as cheap.  Many of the  individuals' postings are simply homophobic rails.
 On the subject of "School Homo/Glorifying," for example, one "Focus" fan
([email-masked]) explains how "homosexuals have their sights on winning
the hearts, minds and little bodies of your children."

Whether individual or corporate, such content is surely "protected speech."
 What is not illegal, however, may still be immoral . . .  and inhumane.
 Protection from censorship implies no protection from criticism.

Nevertheless, the critics of homosexuality are infrequently criticized.
 Industry condemnation of homophobia -- and its systematic promotion amongst
children -- is conspicuously absent from the incessant buzz about "parental
rights" and "Internet safety."  The silence is deafening.

* * * ACTION/OPTIONS:  Encourage software companies, computer trade magazines
and on-line service providers to exercise a little moral leadership -- by
publicly condemning homophobia AND the professional homophobes who (like
James Dobson) prey with impunity on our youth.  Perhaps AOL's Steve Case
should consider the subject for one of his regular editorial "Letters" to the
"AOL community?"  Contact:  Steve Case, Chairman and CEO, America Online,
Inc., 8619 Westwood Center Drive, Vienna, VA 22182, e-mail [email-masked].
     -  AOL users can directly monitor Dobson and Co., in the "Focus on the
Family" forum of "Clubs & Interests" (Keywords:  FOTF or Dobson).
     -  Besides on-line media, "Focus on the Family" produces print and
broadcast materials; the corporation claims to reach an international
audience of millions each week.  Contact:  Focus on the Family, Colorado
Springs, CO 80995, tel. 719-531-5181 or 800-232-6459.  
     -  The Center for Media Education is located at 1511 K Street NW, Suite
518, Washington, DC 20008, tel. 202-628-2620, fax 202-628-2554, e-mail
[email-masked].
     -  An annotated bibliography on "The 'Parental Rights' Movement"
("CultureWatch," March 1996, #30) has been compiled by the DataCenter, a
non-profit social justice research center dedicated to providing information
to those working for progressive social change.  Contact:  DataCenter, 464
19th Street, Oakland, CA 94612-2297, tel. 510-835-4692, fax 510-835-3017,
e-mail [email-masked].

T E E N   A N D   H E A R D   

The April 2 issue of "Soap Opera Magazine" -- a popular supermarket tabloid
-- includes Teresa Grigolo's "Teens on the Edge."  The two-page article
transcribes a roundtable discussion with the younger cast members of "All My
Children" (AMC).  The headline announces:  "AMC's hot young stars are pushing
the show to new limits by dealing with today's tough issues -- unwanted
pregnancies, drugs, AIDS and gay pride.  Here, they talk about the pressures
of their storylines and the messages they send to teenage fans."

Last November, AMC launched a pioneering storyline that now involves two
recurring gay characters -- a high school teacher, and a student [see
"Teaching Television," MediAlert, Feb. 12].  In "Soap Opera Magazine," Ben
Jorgensen -- who play's the gay teen ("Kevin") -- reflects briefly on his
singular role.  "At first I thought my character was extremely overwrought,"
he observed.  "Then I started to read the fan mail . . . ."  

Jorgensen suggests that AMC's depiction of "vile homophobes screaming loudly"
is not histrionic melodrama, but sadly realistic.  Recalling the real-life
coming out experiences of a personal friend, he added:  "It's a horrible
thing to have to be ashamed -- or even to have to be sacred of others'
reactions."

In response to a follow-up question -- "Has the gay storyline helped to break
stereotypes?" -- another AMC actor, Brian Gaskill ("Bobby"), explained:  "Our
storyline isn't doing it alone.  But to be a part of the battle, to say,
'It's not a bad thing,' that's one step forward."

The youngest member of the cast , Tommy J. Michaels ("Tim"), was unable to
join the discussion "because of his rigorous school schedule."   But -- as a
sidebar explains -- he still "wanted to tell what it's been like for him to
participate in the gay storyline."  

For Michaels, a generation gap in the plot line is most "interesting."  While
his character could accept homosexuality, his character's father sided with
the "vile homophobes."  "It mattered more to his dad than to him," Michaels
noted.  "In a way, you'd think it would be the other way around -- that the
father would be telling the son that being gay isn't wrong."

"If you think about it," the young actor concluded, "a child has to get his
prejudices from his parents.  You're not born able to discriminate against
somebody."  

* * * ACTION/OPTIONS:  Though "Soap Opera Magazine" won't be read by many
teens, it's positive message WILL reach many of their parents, nationwide.
 To encourage the magazine's considerate coverage of a considerable
storyline, write:  Richard Kaplan, Editor, "Soap Opera Magazine," 660 White
Plains Road, Tarrytown, NY 10591.
     -  On-going support for AMC's efforts can be sent to:  Felicia Minei
Behr, Executive Producer, "All My Children," 320 West 66th Street, New York,
NY 10023.  Copy your correspondence to:  ABC Daytime Programming, 2040 Avenue
of the Stars, Los Angeles, CA 90067-4785, e-mail [email-masked]; ABC
Television Network Group, 77 West 66th Street, New York, NY 10023, e-mail
[email-masked].
     -  Actress Natalie Ross -- who plays one of AMC's adult characters --
will join the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Teachers Network (GLSTN) for a
special benefit, April 11, in New York City; the soap's storyline has moved
her to action, says Ross, and "to really think about the problems that gay
kids in school must face and the damage that homophobia can do to them."  For
more information, contact:  GLSTN, 122 W. 26th Street, Suite 1100, New York,
NY 10001, tel. 212-727-0135, fax 212-727-0254, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.glstn.org/freedom/.

T H E   T H O U G H T   T H A T   C O U N T S  ?

Despite the hackneyed "Ask Marilyn" title of her column, Marilyn vos Savant
claims a certain distinction from the pack.  According to her publisher,
Savant "is listed in the 'Guinness Book of World Records' Hall of Fame for
'Highest IQ.'"  Each week, she offers "thoughtful, occasionally
unconventional" answers to questions posed by the readers of "Parade"
magazine -- who send Savant more than 35,000 letters a year.

"Parade's" March 31 issue features an "expanded edition" of Savant's column
and, as part of a promotion for her new book, includes her on the cover as
well.  The headline promises Savant will not only tackle "a probability
question involving two pairs of shoes," but also answer the questions "Has
the existence of God been proved mathematically?" and "Is homosexuality a
choice?"

Actually, Savant tackles two questions on the origins of homosexuality.  One
reader asks for help in settling a domestic dispute; her husband "thinks
homosexuality is a choice," but she feels "it is something over which gay
people have no control, similar to being right- or left-handed."  Another
reader writes:  "Do you think homosexuality has a genetic origin, or is it a
choice of behavior?  If you answer my question, please sign me anonymous.  I
accept my sexual orientation, and my family tries to accept, but they would
be embarrassed . . . ."  

Savant's single answer to both questions runs ten paragraphs long.  Several
times, she attempts to dispel intolerance and affirm that "gay people are
just as good as the rest of us."  However, she also offers a series of
dismissive, capricious -- and frankly BIZARRE -- opinions, which seriously
undermine the effort.

Savant begins by announcing why -- at last -- she decided to answer this
question, which readers "have been asking . . . for years."  Previously, she
"resisted the temptation to reply" because the "subject has become
political."  "The subject is clearly a matter of science, not politics," says
Savant; she'll answer these two questions, since they "don't address the
issue of rights."

Following this awkward buildup, Savant pontificates the obvious:  "It appears
to me our reasoning is going astray, because were operating on a hidden
assumption -- that all gay behavior comes from a single source.  Maybe it
doesn't."

Savant quickly moves from the obvious into gross obscurity, however, as she
lays out her own theory of "true" vs. "apparent" homosexuality.  "True
homosexuals" are "born that way," she reasons, and their homosexuality is
biologically (if not genetically) determined.  "Apparent homosexuals," by
contrast, "are not born that way but . . . develop gay behavior as a result
of external influences."  "In neither case do I think it is a matter of
choice (except for a few people who just enjoy being different, which we find
in any kind of behavior group)," she says.

Savant further explains that "true homosexuals" may be neurotic, though only
"because of the miserable way they're so often treated."  "But gay people
shouldn't need to wait for the approbation of straight people," she notes,
"and that's one reason they're agitating for change."  

As for the "apparent homosexuals," Savant says, MOST of them ARE neurotic.
 She adds:  "This group is largely responsible for giving all gay people a
reputation they don't deserve.  Sometimes I wish the true homosexuals -- who
are just as serious, responsible and productive as the rest of us -- would
distance themselves from the bad actors and nut cases."

Savant concludes her "opinion" with a critical flourish.  She dismisses the
handedness metaphor, rejects the concept of "sexual orientation," and denies
the very existence of "homophobia."  

Unlike the fingers on left-  and right-handed people, Savant argues, the sex
organs of heterosexuals and homosexuals actually "function" differently.  Her
point, it seems, is that heterosexuals tend to reproduce.  She does will not
use the term "sexual orientation" because it "implies that homosexuality and
heterosexuality are merely insignificant variations of sexual behavior."
 "That attitude takes reproduction far too lightly," says Savant  

As for homophobia, she declares:  "I also don't think that heterosexual
people are afraid of homosexual people at all. . . .  Targeting homophobia as
a problem wastes precious time and energy that could be directed at more
fundamental problems -- like simple intolerance."    

Clearly -- and despite any record-breaking IQ -- Savant has NOT grounded her
beliefs in the research literature on homosexuality or homophobia.  Though
she would deny the interplay of politics and science, her naive positivism
cannot mask the ideology of Savant's own writing.  Her "unconventional
opinions" exhibit a fairly conventional bias.

Well-meaning heterosexuals often act as if they are literally "entitled to an
opinion" about homosexuals; heterosexuality is almost never subject to such
speculative free-for-alls.  Homosexuality is singled out -- time and again --
as the problem to be solved or thing to be explained (as if heterosexuality
made perfect sense).  

In Savant's "solution," there is no distinction between "heterosexual" and
"normal."  Gay people are "perfectly fine" and "worthy of respect" not
BECAUSE  --  but WHEN --  they are "just as serious, responsible, and
productive as the rest of us."  Anyone who is not "just as good as us" --
that is, anyone who is not apparently heterosexual -- is a "nut case."

This heterosexism is perhaps most blatant in Savant's claim that, since
homophobes do not exist, combating homophobia is a waste of time . . .  a
distraction from "more fundamental problems."  Of course, homophobic bigotry
is not simply an expression of fear, but hate.  The climate of violence,
abuse, and discrimination that surrounds lesbian and gay people cannot be
understood -- or effectively challenged -- as "simple intolerance."  

Homophobia is epidemic precisely because it is so seldom acknowledged.  It's
the thoughtlessness that counts.

* * * ACTION/OPTIONS:  Send questions (or, better yet, answers) for Marilyn
vos Savant to:  Ask Marilyn, "Parade," 711 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10017;
copy your concerns to Walter Anderson, Editor, "Parade," at the same address.
     -  Savant's new book, "The Power of Logical Thinking," is published by
St. Martin's Press. 

_______________________________________________

A B O U T   G L A A D  . . . .    

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . .   shaping the forces that shape our society.  

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is an
independently incorporated, nonprofit organization, which is volunteer-based
and member-supported.  Dedicated to cultural advocacy and media activism,
GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse representation of lesbian,
gay, bisexual and transgender lives.  The San Francisco chapter of GLAAD is
the largest and oldest in the nation.

To report any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, call the 24-hour
"MediAlert Hotline" (415-861-4588), or write to:  Gay & Lesbian Alliance
Against Defamation, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103,
tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

________________________________________________

A B O U T   M E D I A L E R T S . . . .    

"MediAlert!" is a weekly, action-oriented column of media criticism, produced
and distributed on request by GLAAD/SFBA.  This material may be printed,
published or posted, under these or any titles, in whole or part, without
prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution may be made to "Al
Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San Francisco."  

________________________________________________

A B O U T   M E M B E R S H I P . . . .   

GLAAD/SFBA's work is directly supported by our members; to request a
membership brochure or further information about other GLAAD projects and
programs, please contact:  Kristy Billuni, GLAAD/SFBA, tel. 415-861-3021, fax
415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

For membership information in any of the following cities, direct your
request to these GLAAD Chapter Offices:  Atlanta (tel. 404-876-1398, fax
404-876-4051), Chicago (tel. 312-871-7633, fax 312-685-8064), Dallas (tel.
214-521-5342 ext. 816, fax 214-247-5803), Kansas City (tel. 816-374-5927, fax
816-561-7604), Washington, DC (tel. 202-429-9500, fax 202-857-0077), San
Diego (tel. 619-688-0094, fax 619-294-4814).

________________________________________________

ERRATA:  In "Access Abilities" [MediAlert, March 31], contact information for
The 90's Channel should read:  

 Free Speech TV/The 90's Channel
 P.O. Box 6060, Boulder, CO 80306
 tel. 303-442-2707; fax 303-442-6472, 
 e-mail [email-masked]; URL http://www.freespeech.org/.

Free Speech TV is a programming service that "offers a progressive voice in
the cable revolution."

________________________________________________

"MediAlert" [TM] is a trademark of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area, a nonprofit [501(c)(3)] organization; the
views expressed by GLAAD/SFBA do not necessarily represent the opinions of
other GLAAD chapters.