Subject: MediAlert!, March 31
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 18:06:20 -0500

________________________________________________
INDEX: "MediAlert!, March 31"
Item 1: "Ruth Of All Evil" [Ruth Westheimer; Ask Dr. Ruth; King Features
Syndicate].
Item 2: "Advice Squad" [Ann Landers].
Item 3: "Access Abilities" [Viacom; TCI; PEG-access; Community Television
Corporation].
Item 4: "The Party Isn't Over" [Party of Five; Mitchell Anderson; AFA;
Procter & Gamble; Fox Broadcasting].
Item 5: "Fine Print" [Shade/Avon Books; Anything That Moves; Subaru].
General Information [about GLAAD; about MediAlerts].
_______________________________________________

     M  e  d  i  A  l  e  r  t  !
  
     for the week of 
     March 25 - 31, 1996

     by 
     Al Kielwasser 
     Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
     San Francisco Bay Area 

R U T H    O F    A L L    E V I L  

Over the last year or so, a number of "big name" advice columnists have shown
marked improvement in their ability to answer the "gay questions."  However,
one such columnist -- Ruth Westheimer  -- actually seems to be REGRESSING.
 With each new effort, "Dr. Ruth" devolves further into homophobic quackery.

In a column printed late last year (Dec. 21), Westheimer advised a
17-year-old transvestite to promise his phobic parents that "you will do
everything in your power to keep your lifestyle under wraps" [see "Advice
Without Virtue," MediAlert, Jan. 1].  Continuing a pro-closet theme this year
(Feb. 27), Westheimer responded to the concerns of a young lesbian who wrote
that she and another woman had been in a "wonderful relationship" for two
years, but "the problem is that we are both in a sorority, so we have to keep
our true feelings hidden, even though there are two other girls who have a
similar relationship in our house."  

While paying a confused (and confusing) lip-service to the value of
"rejoicing" in any relationship, Westheimer's reply NEVER touched upon the
value that coming out has for EVERYONE, including heterosexuals (who often
think they "don't know anybody gay").  Instead, she advised the young woman:
 "Whether a relationship is gay or straight, there are often times in life
when it is better to keep it private . . . .  I do not think that
relationships, and particularly sexual relationships, have to necessarily be
put into the public domain."  

Most recently (March 7), Westheimer printed a letter from a "concerned
parent," who wrote:  "Our son, 21, told us that he had visions of guys rather
than girls and that he is homosexual.  The next day he said he was not
homosexual but rather bisexual and that he planned on marrying in several
years . . . .  He also told us he wants to go to a counselor and wants to be
straight.  Is there a psychological or medical way he could control his head?
 We told him that there could be an inclination but that he should control
his actions.  He seems to agree intellectually.  What should we do?"

Westheimer replied:  "Of course you should provide him with the means of
going to a counselor.  It should be somebody who is experienced in this area.
 The one good thing is that since he has agreed not to be sexually active, at
least for the time being you don't have to worry about AIDS or other sexually
transmitted diseases."

Westheimer also assured this parent that "sometimes young people get very
scared when they have dreams or fantasies about members of their own sex, but
it doesn't necessarily mean that they are gay."  She then concluded by
praising the reader's parenting skills.  "It is very good that [your son] had
enough confidence in you to speak about it," Westheimer wrote, "which gives
you the opportunity to clarify the situation."

Once again, Westheimer has out-quacked her rivals.  In less than five
sentences and fewer than 100 words, she has somehow managed to create a
veritable laundry list of anti-gay defamation.

Westheimer's notion that abstinence is "the one good thing" the son could do,
suggests -- rather directly -- that "practicing homosexuality" would just be
the worst.  Her reference to "AIDS or other sexually-transmitted diseases"
seems to assume that gay sex is deadly; no mention is made of ANY other
possibility (perhaps this 21-year-old man could use a condom?).  Anxious to
assure a parent that heterosexuality is still possible, Westheimer makes no
distinction between the "sexual confusion" sometimes experienced in EARLY
adolescence and the so-called "scary fantasies" of  the young adult in this
case. 

Westheimer's advice is similarly confused on just about every point in this
column.  Obviously the son is not TOO comfortable or confident about speaking
to his parents (consider the nervous chronology:  after likely waiting a
decade or so to reveal the truth, he quickly retracts and proceeds to change
the story several times until, finally, announcing his willingness or
"desire" to change).  Contrary to "Dr. Ruth's" standards, it hardly seems
like a sign of good parenting when  -- a day after your child comes out --
you start asking around for "a psychological or medical way to control his
head."

Even more inexcusable than the parent's question about "control," is
Westheimer's answer.  All "Dr. Ruth" can vaguely recommend is "going to a
counselor . . . . experienced in this area."  Since most homophobes consider
themselves experts on homosexuality, Westheimer's lazy advice could easily
cause more harm than good.  She should have at least advised readers that
bona fide counseling offers an antidote for homophobia, NOT homosexuality.  

According to her newspaper byline, Westheimer is "a psychologist, educator
and author of books about sex."  It's hard to believe.  In failing to
dissuade her audience of the belief that homosexuality can be cured,
Westheimer's "expert advice" reads like reckless malpractice.

* * *  ACTIONS/OPTIONS:  "Ask Dr. Ruth" columns are widely syndicated by King
Features, and letters can be sent in care of any paper that carries the
column.  To share feedback directly with Westheimer and her editor, contact:
 Sandy Klink, King Features Syndicate, 235 E. 45th Street, New York, NY
10017, tel. 800-526-5464, ext. 4068.  
     -  You might offer Westheimer the sort of advice she seldom gives (i.e.,
specific).  Refer her to your local PFLAG chapter or similar group for
much-needed information gathering -- perhaps she'll do the same for her
readers some day (PFLAG National Offices, 1102 14th Street NW, # 700,
Washington, DC 20005, tel. 202-638-4200, e-mail [email-masked]).  Recommend
that, as a psychologist and educator , Westheimer would also benefit from
consulting any accurate resources from the Gay and Lesbian Caucus of the
National Education Association (1201 16th Street NW, Washington, DC
20036-3290, tel. 202-822-7700) or the American Psychological Association's
Committee on Lesbian and Gay Concerns (750 1st Street NE, Washington, DC
20002-4242, tel. 202-336-6041, URL http://www.apa.org/).
     -  Additional Sources:  In a project monitoring cases of psychiatric
abuse, the National Center for Lesbian Rights has documented the recurrent
torture of young queers forced to suffer "psychological or medical ways to
control their heads."  Contact:  NCLR, tel. 415-621-0674, e-mail
[email-masked].   

A D V I C E    S Q U A D

In the nation's daily papers, the advice isn't ALL bad.  The ubiquitous Ann
Landers provides an example, in a column dismissing the notion of homosexual
"cures" (Feb. 27).  Landers' matter-of-fact style offers a pointed contrast
to Westheimer's muddle-the-facts prose [see "Ruth Of All Evil," above].

In her column, Landers printed this letter:  "Dear Ann -- Our son, 20, is
confused about his gender identity.  He told us that since high school he has
had romantic fantasies about guys, not girls.  He wants to see a counselor
and become straight.  is there any psychological, psychiatric or medical help
for him . . . .  Can you give us some guidance?"

In reply, Landers wrote:  "Dear Parents -- A 20-year-old male who has
romantic fantasies about other males is unquestionably homosexual.
 Counseling will not 'straighten him around.'  Nor is there any medication
that will perform that magic.  I do recommend counseling, however.  Your son
needs to talk to a professional about his feelings.  He needs to know that he
is not a freak, that he is not alone and that he can have a satisfying,
productive life." 

Landers has credited her improved advice ABOUT homosexuality to fervent
advice FROM homosexuals.  Landers has begun to listen when her columns
provoke the considerable feedback of lesbians and gays . . .  who, after all,
really do know better. 

***  ACTIONS/OPTIONS:  "Dear Ann" helps shape the beliefs and attitudes of
the nation.  Help keep her advice in shape.  Send feedback to:  Ann Landers,
P.O. Box 11562, Chicago, IL 60611-0562. 

A C C E S S    A B I L I T I E S

The telecommunications media in San Francisco have arrived at a major
crossroads, confronting local issues of national significance.  Closed-door
negotiations between the City Attorney's Office and industry representatives
are now taking place in an effort to hammer out the city's cable franchise --
and the stakes could couldn't be higher.  The outcome will determine the
vitality -- or decline -- of free expression, government access, and
community education. 

At this time, a deal is in the works that would transfer San Francisco's
existing cable franchise from its current holder -- Viacom Corp. -- to an
even-bigger media baron, Tele-Communications Inc. (or TCI).  The move has
every potential for making  a bad situation worse.  The antennas at both
companies lean well to the Right; neither Viacom nor TCI would qualify as
First Amendment advocates.  Moreover, a TCI takeover would only exacerbate
that company's monopoly mania.  TCI has undertaken efforts to merge with Time
Warner and Turner industries, a deal that would give the company
unprecedented, unilateral control over the creation AND distribution of the
nation's media.  In the (nine county) San Francisco Bay Area alone, TCI would
directly control 90 PERCENT of the cable market.

As a politically-regressive venture, TCI has demonstrated little regard for
diversity.  In one instance, the company effectively forced the nation's only
progressive cable service -- "The 90s Channel" -- off the air.  By imposing
back-breaking rate increases, TCI left the "The 90s Channel" with no option
but to discontinue its programming on each of seven TCI-owned companies. 

TCI chairman John Malone is "a predatory capitalist," according to "Boston
Phoenix" media reporter Dan Kennedy.  Kennedy also reports that Malone is
"widely known within the communications industry as 'Darth Vader.'"  That
characterization is confirmed by Daniel Zool, a reporter for the "San
Francisco Bay Guardian," who recently wrote:  "TCI and its chair, John
Malone, have a reputation for promoting a conservative political agenda and
have been criticized for censoring progressive programming.  Malone is a
self-described fan of Rush Limbaugh and . . . TCI carries a variety of
conservative channels, including Newt Gingrich's National Empowerment
Television."

Yet, despite such apparent pitfalls, San Francisco's current contract
negotiations also provide a unique -- and long-anticipated -- OPPORTUNITY.
 Because any recommendations that come out of the City Attorney's Office must
ultimately be approved by the city's more-progressive Board of Supervisors, a
possibility for POSITIVE CHANGE remains.  A majority of the board COULD
broker a deal that would not only safeguard the public interest, but bind TCI
to a higher (yet fairer) level of community support.  

Much like a broadcast license, the cable franchise is essentially a "license
to print money."  Unlike a broadcast license, however, cable franchises are
granted by a municipal rather than Federal government.  In exchange for such
lucrative options -- and the use of a city's or county's "public
rights-of-way" --  a cable company is expected to provide some form of
community compensation.  Typically, such compensation has involved funds,
facilities and channel space to support "public, educational, and government
access" --  or "PEG-access" -- programming, sometimes simply referred to as
"community-" or "public-access" cable.

In San Francisco, the compensation has been slight, and the community
slighted.  Critics point out that, for the past 40 years, city officials have
failed to bargain competently (or even ethically) with cable companies.
 Successive franchise agreements have ignored community needs and industry
obligations outright.  Even when public interests WERE spelled-out, such
provisions have been "overlooked" -- and un-enforced.  As a result of this
historical ignorance, PEG services have been woefully neglected (along with
citizen's rights).  The POTENTIAL of public access has gone largely
UNFULFILLED.  

Zane Blaney, executive director the Community Television Corporation (CTC),
is spearheading an effort to ensure that history does NOT repeat itself.
 "Viacom Cable has made a billion dollars from the use of our rights-of-ways
and TCI will make even more," Blaney says.  "They can afford to give back a
small portion of their profits for the use of our streets and other
utilities."

Blaney has called upon individuals and community groups to send a strident
message to San Francisco's Mayor and Board of Supervisors, insisting that --
this time around -- the public interest is not sacrificed to private profit.
 Specifically, Blaney is urging elected officials to REJECT the TCI transfer
UNLESS the franchise agreement is modified to provide the following, basic
guarantees:

   - 1.  A commitment to increase the relative channel capacity for public
access as overall cable capacity increases; if at some future date a cable
company acquires the capacity for offering a hundred new channels, for
example, this provision would ensure that at least a few of these would be
reserved for something other than  home shopping, pay-per-view, and "psychic
friends" networks.

   - 2.  A governance system in which community-access channels are actually
community-managed.  Currently, Viacom exercises inordinate (even censorious)
control over San Francisco's public access channel; a more appropriate and
accountable custodian of the channel would be the CTC, a city-established and
publicly-accountable agency.

   - 3.  Under no circumstances the city enter into any agreement with TCI --
one of the largest and wealthiest media monopolies around -- unless expanded
operational funding is guaranteed for public, education and government access
channels.  

   - 4.  Finally, these funds and resources must be sufficient to support a
new Public Access Media Center (which would provide broad community access to
video, multimedia, and Internet resources) as well as the upgraded,
state-of-the-art, fully accessible PEG facility San Franciscans sorely
deserve (unlike San Francisco, several other major cities already require
such a level of compensation from cable franchises).

Along with these franchise modifications, Blaney is also urging the Mayor and
Board of Supervisors to create a new "telecommunications oversight
authority."  This municipal body would serve as a CREDIBLE agency for
franchise enforcement and provide a source for COMPREHENSIVE strategic
planning. 

The safeguards proposed by Blaney and the CTC seem prudential -- not only for
San Francisco, but any cabled community.  In the midst of unrestrained
mergers, as corporations like TCI continue to consolidate their media
control, the right of access has seldom been more precious -- or more
vulnerable.  

Within the competitive climate of media conglomerates, "free speech" is
increasingly understood a corporation's freedom to talk and the individual's
freedom to listen.  Unless we can preserve and promote our basic right to
SPEAK THROUGH the public media, we might very well be left with only one
option -- being SPOKEN TO.  In failing to defend public access, we will have
guaranteed our "right" to be silenced. 

* * *  ACTIONS/OPTIONS:  The public interest will only be served if the
public gets interested.  Send cards and letters to:  The President and All
Members, Board of Supervisors, City and County of San Francisco, 401 Van Ness
Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94102; The Honorable Willie Brown, Mayor, City and
County of San Francisco, 401 Van Ness Avenue, Room 336, San Francisco, CA
94102.  Send copies of all correspondence to the San Francisco Community
Television Corporation, P.O. Box 427190, San Francisco, CA 94142, tel.
415-557-4293, fax 415-557-4449, e-mail [email-masked], URL
http://www.sfctc.org;  the CTC can provide sample letters or postcards, as
well as additional background and updates on the TCI deal.  
     -  For information regarding efforts to defend and expand public access
across the nation, contact:  The Alliance for Community Media, 666 11th
Street NW, Suite 806, Washington, DC 20001-4542, tel. 202-393-2650, fax
202-393-2653, jobline 408-864-5413, e-mail [email-masked].  
     -  Additional Sources:  After being charged off the air -- literally --
by TCI, providers of "The 90s Channel" recouped as "Globalvision."  Contact:
 "Globalvision," 1600 Broadway, # 700, New York, NY 10016, tel. 212-246-0202,
fax 212-246-2677, e-mail [email-masked].   

T H E   P A R T Y   I S N ' T   O V E R 

The Fox network has announced that "Party of Five" will be renewed for a
third season and 22 new episodes.  Though critically-acclaimed, the drama
series has been less successful in the ratings department.  

Recently, Mitchell Anderson -- the actor who plays "Party of Five's"
recurring gay character ("Ross") -- revealed that he, too, is gay.  This
real-life coming out will certainly fan the fires of an otherwise waning
campaign against the series, orchestrated by the conservative American Family
Association (AFA).

From the start, the AFA has encouraged its members to protest the show's
"homosexual violin teacher," and the series is listed on the AFA's current
roster of 11 prime-time programs that "bombard viewers with pro-homosexual
TV."  

The AFA has specifically pressured Procter & Gamble, urging the company to
cease buying airtime during "Party of Five" broadcasts.  According to the
AFA, Procter & Gamble has been the show's "top advertiser" since last
September.  The company has also been cited for being the top sponsor of
several other "pro-homosexual" series, including "The Crew" (Fox), "Friends"
(NBC), and "Sisters (NBC).

***  ACTIONS/OPTIONS:  Anti-AFA letters and counter-calls can be directed to
John E. Pepper, Chair, Procter & Gamble, P.O. Box 599, Cincinnati, OH 45201,
tel. 513-983-1100 or 800-435-9254, fax 513-945-9155;  Fox Broadcasting, P.O.
Box 900, Beverly Hills, CA 90213, tel. 310-277-2211, e-mail
[email-masked].
     --  The American Family Association -- "a Christian organization
promoting the Biblical ethic of decency in American society with primary
emphasis on TV and other media" operates through:  Donald E. Wildmon,
President, AFA, P.O. Drawer 2440, Tupelo, MS 38803, tel. 601-844-5036, fax
601-844-9176, e-mail [email-masked], URL
http://www.gocin.com/afa/home.htm.

F I N E   P R I N T   

     --  Hailed as "the first anthology devoted exclusively to fiction by
Black gay men," SHADE will be published this June by Avon Books (tel.
212-261-6832, URL http://www.glyphmedia.com/host/shade/); the collection's
editors are Charles H. Rowell and Bruce Morrow (tel. 212-691-6590, fax
212-675-0171, e-mail [email-masked]).
     --  The Winter 1996 (Issue # 10) edition of "Anything That Moves" - "the
magazine for the discriminating bisexual" - focuses on "media watching."  A
special section on "Bisexuality and the Media" collects feature articles,
essays and reviews that range across the mass media -- from "Newsweek" to the
Internet.  Contact:  "ATM," 2404 California Street, # 24, San Francisco, CA
94115, e-mail [email-masked]. 
     --  A new print campaign for Subaru cars will begin appearing in
lesbian/gay magazines in April.  The ad depicts two women smiling at each
other; the copy humorously confuses "long-term commitments" to people and/or
cars.  According to the "San Jose Mercury News" (March 17), the campaign was
created in response to market research indicating "lesbians are four times as
likely as the general public to buy Subarus."  Contact:  Takeshi Higurashi,
Chair, Subaru of America, Inc., P.O. Box 6000, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034, tel.
609-488-8500 or 800-782-2783.

_______________________________________________

ABOUT GLAAD . . . .    

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . .   shaping the forces that shape our society.  

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is an
independently-incorporated, nonprofit organization, which is volunteer-based
and member-supported.  Dedicated to cultural advocacy and media activism,
GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse representation of lesbian,
gay, bisexual and transgender lives.  The San Francisco chapter of GLAAD is
the largest and oldest in the nation.

To report any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, call the 24-hour
"MediAlert Hotline" (415-861-4588), or write to:  Gay & Lesbian Alliance
Against Defamation, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103,
tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.
________________________________________________

ABOUT MEDIALERTS . . . .    

"MediAlert!" is a weekly, action-oriented media criticism column, produced
and distributed on request by GLAAD/SFBA.  This material may be printed,
published or posted, under these or any titles, in whole or part, without
prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution may be made to "Al
Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San Francisco."  
________________________________________________

ABOUT MEMBERSHIP . . . .   

GLAAD/SFBA's work is directly supported by our members; we receive no funding
or other benefits from the GLAAD/National office.  To request a membership
brochure or further information about GLAAD/SFBA projects and programs,
please contact:  Kristy Billuni, Managing Director, GLAAD, tel. 415-861-3021,
fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

For membership information in any of the following cities, direct requests to
these GLAAD Chapter Offices:  Atlanta (tel. 404-876-1398, fax 404-876-4051),
Chicago (tel. 312-871-7633, fax 312-685-8064), Dallas (tel. 214-521-5342 ext.
816, fax 214-247-5803), Kansas City (tel. 816-374-5927, fax 816-561-7604),
Washington, DC (tel. 202-429-9500, fax 202-857-0077), San Diego (tel.
619-688-0094, fax 619-294-4814).
________________________________________________

"MediAlert" [TM]  and "Project 21" [TM] are trademarks of the Gay & Lesbian
Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area, a nonprofit [501(c)(3)]
organization; the views expressed by GLAAD/SFBA do not necessarily represent
the opinions of other GLAAD chapters.