Subject: MediAlert (March 18)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 19:05:16 -0500

_________________________________________________________

INDEX:  "MediAlert!  (March 18)

1.  "A Compromising Position" (Salt Lake Tribune; Knight-Ridder/Tribune
Business News; Salt Lake City School Board; Law & Sexuality; Utah Human
Rights Coalition; Project 21; P.E.R.S.O.N. Project).

2.  "Political Paternity" (Cynthia Tucker; Atlanta Constitution; Pat
Buchanan; GOP; Log Cabin Republicans; FAIR; Justin Raimondo).
  
3.  General Information
_________________________________________________________

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  

           M  e  d  i  A  l  e  r  t  !  

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  

for
March 18, 1996 

by
Al Kielwasser 
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 
San Francisco Bay Area 

A   C O M P R O M I S I N G   P O S I T I O N

In a March 10 column (written for the "Salt Lake Tribune," syndicated by
Knight-Ridder/Tribune Business News), DeAnn Evans asks:  "When a
controversial issue polarizes a community, do journalist have an obligation
to do more than just report the news?"  It's a good question. 

Evans, a former newspaper editor, is now a communications professor at the
University of Utah.  In her column, she investigates several of the key
concerns surrounding "public or civic journalism" projects, which take as
their goal not simply the "objective" reporting of news, but an active
elevation of community discourse.  Such concerns, Evans says, were recently
foregrounded "in the wake of the divisive issue concerning gay-lesbian clubs
at local schools."  

Last month, the Salt Lake City School Board voted ban all extracurricular
clubs, in order to prevent the formation of a single group -- a "Gay-Straight
Alliance."  Since then, news coverage of the board's decision, and its
on-going aftermath, has been relatively extensive.

To her credit, Evans attempts to make some sense of this media morass.  She
proposes:  "Let's see how a public journalism project at a local newspaper or
TV station might work in the gay-lesbian club debate, which has disheartened
many with the intractability of both sides."

The "project's" first phase, as described by Evans, would be the most
obvious.  In the midst of any "robust debate," the journalist's role is "to
report the arguments."

In the second phase, however, "the media would facilitate a more in-depth
study that would be solution-oriented."  The public would be polled and focus
groups might be conducted by media organizations," Evans suggests, "all with
an eye to finding common ground."  Then, "solutions proposed by citizens and
experts would be reported, and the media would reinvite public comment."  

Finally, in the last phase, the media would "follow the proposed solutions to
the institutions that can do something about the matter -- the legislature,
local governments, the federal government, etc."  "One key to such a project
is to treat each person as a citizen with equal standing," Evans says.  "The
media should not try to pit one side against another, but should stress
respectful speech and listening."  

Because the "divisive issue" of a gay student club "has both sides polarized
with few in a position to be a catalyst for finding common ground," Evans
concludes:  "Perhaps it is time for a meaningful experiment in public
journalism."

On its surface, Evans' conclusion appears reasonable enough.  However, from
the perspective of a queer or questioning youth, it could seem rather trite,
even patronizing.  

The Aristotelian virtue of compromise is a poor remedy for bigotry.  What
common ground might reasonably be found with anyone willing to "negotiate"
homosexuality?  There can be NO COMPROMISE with homophobia.  Queers are NOT a
rebutable proposition. 

In failing to account for this basic point, Evan's demonstrates a common, yet
subtle form of defamation, defined by media activists Craig Davidson and
Michael Valenti as "deference to homophobia."  According to Davidson and
Valenti, "deference to the lesbian and gay prejudice of others. . . .
 happens frequently among 'good liberals' who claim to tolerate, support, and
even like lesbians and gays."  In contrast to other forms of prejudice or
bigotry, homophobic "opinions" are more often treated as "fair expression;"
and those who hold such opinions are more frequently given "the benefit of
the doubt."

However, homophobia is not the "opposite" of homosexuality, but merely the
irrational HATRED of it.  As such, the two "sides" are NOT morally equal --
and the press is under no obligation to treat them otherwise.  Inasmuch as
homophobia is an act of oppression, the responsible journalist -- in lieu of
seeking "common ground" -- may well feel obliged to side with the oppressed. 

As he accepted the 1986 Nobel Peace Prize, Elie Wiesel had this to say:
 "Take sides.  Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim."  It's a
good answer.  

*** ACTION/OPTIONS!   Send feedback to:  DeAnn Evans, Assistant Professor,
Communications Department, University of Utah, 80 Union, Salt Lake City, UT
84112, tel. 801-581-7200; copy your comments to the "Tribune," Box 867, Salt
Lake City, UT 84110, fax 801-521-9418, e-mail [email-masked].. 
                The notion of "deference to homophobia" is discussed in
Davidson and Valenti's article "Cultural Advocacy:  A Non-Legal Approach to
Fighting Defamation of Lesbians and Gays," which appears in the journal "Law
& Sexuality:  A Review of Lesbian and Gay Legal Issues" (volume 2, 1992);
contact "Law & Sexuality," Tulane Law School, 6801 Freret Street, New
Orleans, LA 70118, tel. 504-865-5835. 
                The homophobic resolution that banned all nonacademic clubs
-- rather than allow a single gay one -- passed by a 4-3 vote of the Board of
(Mis)Education.  To urge the board to reconsider, contact:  Mary Jo
Rasmussen, President, Salt Lake City Board of Education, Salt Lake City
School District, 440 E. 100 S. Salt Lake City, UT 84111-1898, tel.
801-578-8559; copy your correspondence to the Utah Human Rights Coalition,
P.O. Box 521242, Salt Lake City, UT 84152-1242.
                For general information and resources regarding
educational-media reform and textbook activism, contact:  Project 21 - A
National Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Coalition for Curriculum
Advocacy, 1600 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-861-3021,
fax 415-861-4893 or 415-826-5203, e-mail [email-masked] or [email-masked].
 
                Excellent educational equity resources and referrals are also
available through the P.E.R.S.O.N. Project, 586 62nd Street, Oakland, CA
94609-1245, tel./fax 510-601-8883, e-mail [email-masked].

P O L I T I C A L   P A T E R N I T Y  

Mainstream coverage of the presidential primaries has been largely
disappointing.  In addition to giving disproportionate attention to ONE
self-loathing "gay for Buchanan" (Justin Raimondo), the press has hardly
challenged the redundant pleas of innocence made by Republicans who just
can't understand why homophobes and racists keep popping up at their rallies
. . . and on their staffs.  In a March 2 column, Cynthia Tucker -- editorial
page editor of the "Atlanta Constitution" -- offers a welcome antidote.  

Throughout this campaign, Pat Buchanan has claimed that he does not welcome
the participation of KKK devotees and Neo-Nazis; they simply "appear" at his
side, he says, uninvited.  But Tucker will have none of this nonsense.  "It
is no accident that white supremacists and militia supporters make their way
to the Buchanan camp," she writes.  "He speaks their language." 

Likewise, it is no accident that Buchanan has "made his way" through the
Republican camp.  They speaks HIS language, too.  As Tucker argues:  "The
party courted racists and extremists and now wants to deny paternity of a
hate-mongering campaign.  Sorry, GOP: It won't wash.  This kid is yours."

"The Grand Old Party has only itself to blame for Buchanan," Tucker says, and
 "mainstream Republicans are unconvincing when they pretend otherwise."  She
adds, right on point:  "Buchanan is no alien who appeared from outer space a
la 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' -- pretending to be a real Republican
when he has merely assumed the appearance of one.  Buchanan is a longtime
party stalwart, a veteran of White House affairs with stints under two
Republican presidents . . . .  Buchanan's supporters are no unwashed gate
crashers thundering into a GOP tent . . . .  They were invited."

Tucker's column is marred only by her inattention to the full range of
Buchanan's hate.  Notably, she fails to specifically mention his homophobic
and sexist "extremes."  Nevertheless, her conclusion is refreshing.  

Just as Pat Buchanan cannot claim any moral distance between himself and the
less "subtle" hate-mongers, neither can conservatives claim their separation
from Buchanan.  The rhetoric that Buchanan spews IS the rhetoric of bigots .
. . and Republicans.

*** ACTION/OPTIONS!   Send feedback to Cynthia Tucker, Editorial Page Editor,
"Atlanta Constitution," 72 Marietta Street NW, Atlanta, GA 30303, fax
404-526-5746.
                For a position contrary to Tucker's, contact Log Cabin
Republicans (LCR) -- "the nation's largest gay and lesbian Republican
organization" -- which argues that "the Republican Party is a party of
tolerance and compassion" (tel. 202-347-5306, fax 202-347-5224, e-mail
[email-masked], URL http://www.cais.com/logcabin/).
                Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting, a progressive media
advocacy group, has issued a "FAIR Report:  Patrick Buchanan -- In His Own
Words."  This useful reference provides a concise sampling of Buchanan's
bigoted statements about people of color, immigrants, Jews, women, and gays.
 Contact:  FAIR, 130 West 25th Street, New York, NY 10001, tel. 212-633-6700,
fax 212-727-7668, e-mail [email-masked], URL http://www.fair.org/fair.
                To communicate with Pat Buchanan himself, contact:  Buchanan
for President Headquarters, 6862 Elm Street, Suite 210, McLean, VA 22101,
tel. 703-848-1996 or 1-800-GOPATGO, URL http://www.buchanan.org.
                Justin Raimondo is the vocal media darling -- and (barely)
gay man -- who believes "Pat Buchanan is absolutely the best thing for
America;" Raimondo can be contacted by e-mail ([email-masked]) or
through his web site (http://www.raimondo.antiwar.com

____________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________

ABOUT GLAAD . . . .    

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . .   shaping the forces that shape our society.  

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is an
independently-incorporated, nonprofit organization, which is volunteer-based
and member-supported.  Dedicated to cultural advocacy and media activism,
GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse representation of lesbian,
gay, bisexual and transgender lives.  The San Francisco chapter of GLAAD is
the largest and oldest in the nation.

To report any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, call the 24-hour
"MediAlert Hotline" (415-861-4588), or write to:  Gay & Lesbian Alliance
Against Defamation, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103,
tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

____________________________________________________________

ABOUT MEDIALERTS . . . .    

"MediAlert!" is a weekly, critical- and action-oriented media watch column,
produced and distributed on request by GLAAD/SFBA.  This material may be
printed, published or posted, under these or any titles, in whole or part,
without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution may be made to "Al
Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San Francisco."  We greatly appreciate file copies
of any publications that make use of these reports.

____________________________________________________________

ABOUT MEMBERSHIP . . . .   

GLAAD/SFBA's work is directly supported by our members.  To request a
membership brochure and further information about other GLAAD projects and
programs, please contact:  Kristy Billuni, Managing Director, GLAAD, San
Francisco Bay Area Chapter, tel. 415-861-3021, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail
[email-masked], URL  http://www.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

For membership information in any of the following cities, direct requests to
these GLAAD Chapter Offices:  Atlanta (tel. 404-876-1398, fax 404-876-4051),
Chicago (tel. 312-871-7633, fax 312-685-8064), Dallas (tel. 214-521-5342 ext.
816, fax 214-247-5803), Kansas City (tel. 816-374-5927, fax 816-561-7604),
Washington, DC (tel. 202-429-9500, fax 202-857-0077), San Diego (tel.
619-688-0094, fax 619-294-4814).

___________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________

"MediAlert" [TM]  and "Project 21" [TM] are trademarks of the Gay & Lesbian
Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area, a nonprofit [501(c)(3)]
organization; the views expressed by GLAAD/SFBA do not necessarily represent
the opinions of other GLAAD chapters or offices. 

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 19:04:31 -0500

al Anti-Gay Initiatives & Legislation
Report; PFAW).
8.  "Plugging In" (Rewiring Our Networks; NAMAC; NCMMA).
9.  "Show & Television" (Steven Capsuto; Alternative Channels; Network
Television in The Nineties).
10.  "Refreshing Paws" (Purina; Melissa Etheridge; Julie Cypher).
11.  "Advocacy Allies" (Rocky Mountain Media Watch).

12.  "E-Media Briefs" (COLAGE; Lavender Youth Recreation & Information
Center; Communications Decency Act).
13.  "Web Watch" (NLGJA; Jesse Helms; Oasis; 2002; Justin Bond; The U
Report).
14.  "Sound & Un/Sound Bites" (Jason Stuart; Pat Buchanan).

10.  General Information
_________________________________________________________

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

       M  e  d  i  a  /  B  r  i  e  f  s   

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

for
March 18 , 1996 

by
Al Kielwasser 
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 
San Francisco Bay Area 

* CHANGING CHANNELS . . .   "I feel like were opening up the possibilities of
changing what the next generations of kids are taught in school."  So says
Academy Award-winner Debra Chasnoff, most modestly, about her latest project:
 "Don't Look the Other Way."  
                The new documentary tackles the subject of homophobia in
elementary school, and is intended to encourage and educate parents and
teachers as they integrate fair and factual information into the classrooms.
 This film, Chasnoff says, "demystifies what it means to do anti-bias
education that is inclusive of lesbian and gay people."  
                Chasnoff's effort has already earned praise in a review for
"The Progressive" (March 1996).  The magazine noted:  "Her new project is
aimed at preventing homophobia among elementary-school students.  It's a huge
undertaking, but the mixture of talent and compassion Chasnoff brings to her
work makes her the right person for the job."
                "Don't Look the Other Way" is part of an educational media
series "Respect for All."  To date, the series includes the new documentary,
a teacher's resource guide, and three additional 15-minute videos.  These
video shorts -- "My Family Is Special," "Don't Call Me That," and "Shattering
Stereotypes" -- are specifically targeted to school-age children, for use in
the elementary classroom.
                For further information, contact:  Women's Educational Media,
tel. 415-641-4616, e-mail [email-masked]. 

* MERGER MADNESS . . .   As a "first step" in fighting the media merger
mania, the Institute for Alternative Journalism (IAJ) is calling upon the
public to oppose the Time Warner/Turner/TCI deal.  The Federal Trade
Commission must approve the merger, and public opposition might still make a
difference.  Don Hazen, IAJ Executive Director, suggests "protests should
mention that the deal would create a new breed of super conglomerate with
unprecedented control over content and distribution of cable, broadcast, and
print media."
                Send letter of opposition to:  Robert Pitofsky, Chairperson,
Federal Trade Commission, Pennsylvania Avenue & 6th Street, NW, Washington,
DC 20508. 
                IAJ has also created an "Information Bill of Rights," which
"seeks to weave in the work of many people and organizations who have drafted
similar statements."  The document addresses such principles as diversity,
accountability, quality, access, literacy, expression, privacy, and
protection; IAJ intends to use the "Information Bill of Rights" in its
on-going, national efforts "to build a more equitable, participatory and
accountable media system."  
                For more information, contact:  IAJ, 77 Federal Street, San
Francisco, CA 94107, tel. 415-284-1419, fax 415-284-1414, e-mail
[email-masked] or [email-masked], URL
http://www.alternet.org/an/. 

* BREAKING THE SILENCE . . .   "Being Different:  Lambda Youths Speak Out" is
a new book by Larry Dane Brimner.  A former teacher (at elementary, junior
and senior high school levels), Brimner "explores teenage homosexuality by
interviewing gay, lesbian, and bisexual youths."  "Being Different" is a
title in "The Lesbian and Gay Experience" series published by Franklin Watts,
Inc.  Contact:  Franklin Watts/Grolier Publishing, Sherman Turnpike, Danbury,
CT 06816, tel. 1-800-621-1115; Larry Brimner, c/o Author Talks, 3175 Lincoln
Avenue, San Diego, CA 92104-3032, tel./fax 619-283-8412.

* DRIVER'S ED . . .   "Details" magazine and Bloomingdale's stores have
teamed up for the "First Annual Book Drive," to benefit the Literacy
Volunteers of America (LVA).  Between March 15 and April 21, participating
Bloomingdale's Men's Sportswear Departments will collect donations of books,
which will be used in LVA's adult literacy programs.  
                Donations of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender-themed
books would surely enrich the drive -- and could allow LVA to combat
homophobia even as it combats illiteracy.  An added bonus:  shoppers who
bring in a book will receive 20% off their next jeans purchase.  
                For more information, contact:  "Details Bulletinboard," 632
Broadway, 12th Floor, New York, NY 10012, fax 212-598-0284, e-mail
[email-masked] or [email-masked]. 

* RE: SOURCES . . .   "Through the Media Looking Glass:  Decoding Bias and
Blather in the News" is a 280-page compilation of newspaper columns, written
by peerless media critics Jeff Cohen and Norman Solomon.  This illuminating
collection scrutinizes a range of progressive issues, and focuses on "radio
talkshows, TV pundits, corporate media ownership and the decline of public
broadcasting."  "Through the Media Looking Glass" is available through FAIR
(130 West 25th Street, New York, NY 10001, tel. 212-633-6700, fax
212-727-7668, e-mail [email-masked], URL http://www.fair.org/fair); a bulk
discount is offered for orders of 10 or more copies.

* CLASSY VIDEO . . .   "A Safe Place For Questions" is a new video and
resource guide developed by Support Services for Gay, Lesbian & Bisexual
Youth, a program of the San Francisco Unified School District. The package is
"intended for "educators who are interested in creating a safe school
environment for sexual minority youth."  
                The resource guide is comprehensive in scope, covering
everything from counseling issues to curriculum development.  The video,
suitable for classroom use, features students who describe the program's
benefits.  
                For more information, contact:  Support Services for GLB
Youth, School Health Programs Dept. - SFUSD, 1512 Golden Gate Avenue, San
Francisco, CA 94115, tel. 415-749-3400, fax 415-749-3420.    

* RIGHTS & WRONGS . . .   Homophobes are especially fond the claiming "gays
want SPECIAL rights."  Because homosexuals suffer from no extraordinary
discrimination, they argue, we deserve no "extraordinary protections."
 Unfortunately, this argument has been repeated regularly -- often without
serious challenge -- in the mainstream press. 
                Yet, the anti-gay legislative efforts orchestrated by various
Religious Right cabals clearly reveal the truth behind this lie.  Across the
country, professional homophobes are seeking the SPECIAL RIGHT TO
DISCRIMINATE against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender citizens; at the
local, state and federal levels, anti-gay legislation hopes to secure and
advance THE EXTRAORDINARY PROTECTIONS AND PRIVILEGES OF HETEROSEXUALITY. 
                People For The American Way (PFAW) recently issued a "State
and Local Anti-Gay Initiatives & Legislation Report" (February 1996).  Useful
as a resource for media makers or media watchers, this report provides "a
sample of the range of anti-gay activities taking place and a source of
selected information."
                For more information, contact:  Alison Streit, PFAW, 2000 M
Street NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036, tel. 202-467-2338, fax
202-293-2672, e-mail [email-masked].

* PLUGGING IN . . .   "Rewiring Our Networks:  Cultural Equity in the 21st
Century" is the theme for a March 30 - April 1 conference, hosted in
Berkeley, California by the National Alliance for Media Arts & Culture
(NAMAC) and the National Coalition of Multicultural Media Artists.  Designed
as a "proactive think tank," the conference intends to "forge collaborations
between media arts and community organizations with a goal of finding
solutions which ensure cultural democracy and diversity as well as democratic
access to media and information."  Contact:  NAMAC, 655 13th Street, Suite
201, Oakland, CA 94612-1220, tel. 510-451-2717, fax 510-451-2715, e-mail
[email-masked]. 

* SHOW AND TELEVISION . . .   Since 1989, Steven Capsuto has toured the U.S.
with a lecture/video clip series examining television's portrayal of queer
lives.  In "Alternative Channels:  Lesbian & Gay Images on Network
Television," Capsuto provides an historical overview -- "from the
unchallenged stereotypes of the 1950s through the slow evolution of queer
characters once gay activists took on the networks."  In "Network Television
in the Nineties," Capsuto explores "the rapid change in television's queer
characters since the 1980s."  For booking or other information, contact:
 Steven Capsuto, P.O. Box 58069, Philadelphia, PA 19102, tel. 215-627-9558,
e-mail [email-masked].  

* REFRESHING PAWS . . .  As part of the company's promotional efforts, Purina
has distributed a free "celebrity cat" wall calendar.  Each month depicts a
different calendar cat, along with information about his or her famous
owners.   The celebrities range from Ricki Lake to George Foreman. The page
for November, 1996 features "Gabrielle," the 4-year-old Calico owned by
Melissa Etheridge and her lover Julie Cypher.  Contact:  Ralston Purina Co.,
9711 Fuesser Road, Mascoutah, IL 62258-2799.  

* ADVOCACY ALLIES . . .   Founded in 1994, Rocky Mountain Media Watch (RMMW)
is a non-profit organization with a focus on the analysis and criticism of TV
news.  RMMW challenges biased coverage, promotes better journalism, and helps
"activists and community groups to improve their media skills and increase
coverage of their issues."  The organization has published a national survey
of 100 television stations in 58 cities ("Pavlov's TV Dogs") and a media
access handbook ("Let the World Know -- Make Your Cause News").  Contact:
 RMMW, Box 18858, Denver, CO 80218, tel./fax 303-832-7558.

-----------------------------
E-MEDIA BRIEFS . . .  
-----------------------------

                **  "Wired's" Todd Lappin has established a new mailing list
service, intended to provide "up-to-the-minute bulletins and background on
efforts to purge the Communications Decency Act from the lawbooks."  To
subscribe, send e-mail to [email-masked], with "subscribe cda-bulletin"
in the message body.

                **  COLAGE (Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere), a
broad-based support and advocacy organization run by and for the daughters
and sons of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender parents, has announced a
new, moderated e-mail list.  The service is intended to provide a safe
cyber-space "to talk about AIDS, teasing, our gay and straight parents, our
feelings . . .  all the things we can't talk about anywhere else."  To
subscribe to the list, send e-mail to [email-masked], with
"subscribe kidsofgays yourfirstname yourlastname <[email-masked]>
(e.g.,  Steve Forbes would send this message:  subscribe kidsofgays Steve
Forbes <[email-masked]>).

                **  The Lavender Youth Recreation & Information Center
(LYRIC) has announced its launch of "the first-ever on-line resource to
provide anonymous peer counseling for gay, lesbian, bisexual and questioning
young people are 23 and under."  The new e-mail service
([email-masked]) will be staffed by a corps of 25 trained
counselors, each under 24, who also staff LYRIC's "Talkline" (415-863-3636 or
800-246-PRIDE), the telephone counterpart to the Internet service.

-----------------------------
WEB WATCH  .  .  .    
-----------------------------

                **  The "NLGJA Update" newsletter (March 1996) reports that
the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association has established a new
site on the World Wide Web (http://www.journalism.sfsu.edu/nlgja.html).  

               **  NC Mobilization '96 (e-mail [email-masked]) has launched
a web-accessible "campaign to unseat North Carolina's greatest embarrassment"
-- Jesse Helms.  Organizers are asking both NC residents and non-residents to
pitch in, and "help us do a little housekeeping in the U.S. Senate"
(http://www.duke.edu/~mjtino/ncmobe96.html).  

               **  The March issue of "Oasis" -- a queer youth webzine -- is
now available.  Current features include a cover story on lesbian singer and
songwriter Janis Ian; also, "Zeke, a gay teenager, reprints the letter the
sent to his senator sharing his concerns about the effects of the
Communications Decency Act on gay youth" (http://www.outproud.org/oasis/).

               **  Drag Net! . . .  David Van Virden reports that the latest
issue of "The U Report" ("vital poop for the modern homosexual") graces with
Internet with drag queens.  The issue features an interview with Justin Bond
-- "our favorite politically incorrect crossdessin' queer" and "one of
dragdom's most unique talents" ( http://www.ureport.com/ureport/).

               **  In the March 1996 issue of "2002" magazine, Christopher
Madonna offers concise advice for cyber-queers interested in "Building a
Killer Webpage."  The text of his article, along with further references and
links to various resources can be found on the web as well
(http://www.eor.com/homepgs/superchris/killerpg.htm). 

*  S O U N D  B I T E

      "Since coming out, my shows have been selling out.  The more that I
tell the truth, the more successful I become.  I came out three years ago, on
a daytime talkshow, and saw an immediate change in sales.  I think it's
because people want to hear the truth; there's nothing funnier than the
truth."  
  
             --  Jason Stuart, gay comedian, in "Variety" (February 15, 1996)

*  ( U N ) S O U N D  B I T E

      "It was the militant homosexuals who first stormed across society's old
borders.  And it is they who are assaulting traditional positions while
painting themselves as victims of social and legal persecution . . . .  The
cause of this cultural war then, is the relentless drive by homosexuals and
their allies to use schools and media to validate and propagate their moral
beliefs, to convert all of America to those beliefs, and to codify them in
federal law . . . .  But their conduct cannot command our respect, because it
so violently contradicts our beliefs.  If that be 'homophobia,' make the most
of it."    

                --  Patrick J.  Buchanan, in "Origins of the Clash Over Gays"
(September 14, 1994), position paper posted at the Buchanan For President
website 

____________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________

ABOUT GLAAD . . . .        

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . .   shaping the forces that shape our society.  

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is an
independently-incorporated, nonprofit organization, which is volunteer-based
and member-supported.  Dedicated to cultural advocacy and media activism,
GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse representation of lesbian,
gay, bisexual and transgender lives.  The San Francisco chapter of GLAAD is
the largest and oldest in the nation.

To report any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, call the 24-hour
"MediAlert Hotline" (415-861-4588), or write to:  Gay & Lesbian Alliance
Against Defamation, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103,
tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

____________________________________________________________

ABOUT MEDIA/BRIEFS . . . .       

"Media/Briefs" is a biweekly, action-oriented media watch column, produced
and distributed on request by GLAAD/SFBA.  This material may be printed,
published or posted, under these or any titles, in whole or part, without
prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution may be made to "Al
Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San Francisco."  We greatly appreciate file copies
of any publications that make use of these reports.

____________________________________________________________

ABOUT MEMBERSHIP . . . .    

GLAAD/SFBA's work is directly supported by our members.  To request a
membership brochure and further information about other GLAAD projects and
programs, please contact:  Kristy Billuni, Managing Director, GLAAD, San
Francisco Bay Area Chapter, tel. 415-861-3021, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail
[email-masked], URL  http://www.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

For membership information in any of the following cities, direct requests to
these GLAAD Chapter Offices:  Atlanta (tel. 404-876-1398, fax 404-876-4051),
Chicago (tel. 312-871-7633, fax 312-989-7228), Dallas (tel. 214-521-5342 ext.
816, fax 214-247-5803), Kansas City (tel. 816-374-5927, fax 816-561-7604),
Washington, DC (tel. 202-429-9500, fax 202-857-0077), San Diego (tel.
619-688-0094, fax 619-294-4814).

____________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________

"MediAlert" [TM]  and "Project 21" [TM] are trademarks of the Gay & Lesbian
Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area, a nonprofit [501(c)(3)]
organization; the views expressed by GLAAD/SFBA do not necessarily represent
the opinions of other GLAAD chapters or offices.