Subject: MediAlert! (March 11)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 19:04:49 -0500

_________________________________________________________

INDEX:  "MediAlert!  (March 11)"

1. "Extreme Heterosexism" (Armstrong Williams; Orlando Sentinel; Friends;
Melrose Place; Party of Five; Johnson & Johnson; AFA Journal; Procter &
Gamble, FOX; NBC).

2.  "All That Glitters" (WWF; Goldust; Stamford Advocate; The Open Prairie;
WWF Magazine; AOL; Pro Wrestling Illustrated).

3.  General Information
_________________________________________________________

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  

           M  e  d  i  A  l  e  r  t  !  

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  

for
March 11, 1996 

by
Al Kielwasser 
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 
San Francisco Bay Area 

E X T R E M E   H E T E R O S E X I S M   

A recent rise in lesbian and gay media portrayals has evoked the "flood
warnings" of heterosexism.  This bias magnifies homosexual trickles, while
ignoring heterosexual torrents.  The panicked criticism of Armstrong
Williams, radio talkshow host and syndicated columnist, provides a case in
point.

In his column on "Homosexual Extremism" ("The Orlando Sentinel," March 9),
Williams sounds an ironic -- if familiar -- warning:  "With this country's
moral fabric eroding at an unprecedented pace, it is high time that
homosexual extremists be give a reality check."

In Armstrong's "reality," lesbians and gays have succeeded in "dominating"
television with "images reinforcing and encouraging homosexuality."  He
explains:  "Prime-time television now offers programming that portrays, and
dare I say encourages, the homosexual lifestyle.  A recent episode of the
popular sitcom 'Friends' showed a lesbian wedding officiated by Speaker Newt
Gingrich's sister.  The prime-time soap opera 'Melrose Place' has a
continuing story about the relationship between two homosexual men.  The
Golden Globe award-winning show 'Party of Five' had a recent episode in which
one high school girl was propositioned by another high school girl."

In a typical sitcom, high school girls are propositioned by boys every five
minutes -- not once in fifty years, which is about the average for lesbian
teens.  For Armstrong, it seems, THREE homosexual portrayals can outweigh the
three HUNDRED -- or three THOUSAND -- heterosexual images that television
offers each day and night.  Heterosexism is blind to proportion

Armstrong attacks not only television, but textbooks as well.  Because
"homosexuality is not normal," he reasons, "our children should not be given
materials in school, under the guise of sex education, that describe
homosexuality as a normal, alternative lifestyle."  

Of course, Armstrong's reasoning is the very antithesis of the most basic
educational values.  He prefers that his own a priori beliefs -- and his own
unsubstantiated fears -- remain unchallenged.  Where Popes once concluded
"the earth does not move," now Armstrong claims "homosexuality is not
normal."  Heterosexism is blind to intellect.

Finally, Armstrong argues that none of his claims amounts to any sort of
"bigotry" -- and that to call HIM a bigot would be hateful!  "With the
support of many in Washington and Hollywood," Armstrong says, homosexuals
have "twisted political correctness to intimidate good people from standing
against them."  They have "labeled good Christians who confront their
immorality as bigots."

And so we have.  Just as we have labeled "good Christians" who burned
witches, tortured pagans, and beat their slaves.  Heterosexism is blind to
history, too.

Lacking any sense of proportion, intellectual rigor, or even historical
context, Armstrong is ultimately blind to his own, debilitating agenda --
EXTREME HETEROSEXISM.  It is high time for a reality check, indeed.

*** ACTION/OPTIONS!   Direct eye-opening criticism to Armstrong Williams, c/o
"The Orlando Sentinel," 633 N. Orange Avenue, Orlando, FL 32801, fax
407-420-5286, e-mail [email-masked].
                Armstrong's views -- however insane -- are hardly singular;
his is a shared insanity.  The TV programs he specifically criticizes are
also the objects of an on-going, well-organized attack led by the Right Wing
"American Family Association" (AFA).  The March 1996 issue of the "AFA
Journal" list each show a hit list of programs that "bombard viewers with
pro-homosexual TV." 
                The AFA encourages its members to complain to the networks,
as well as the primary advertisers for each series.  The top advertiser for
"Melrose Place" (FOX) has been Johnson & Johnson; for both "Friends" (NBC)
and "Party of Five" (FOX), the chief sponsor is Procter & Gamble. 
                To counter AFA-induced complaints, send comments to any or
all these companies:  Lucie Salhany, President, FOX Broadcasting, 10201 W.
Pico Blvd., # 761, Los Angeles, CA 90035, tel. 310-277-2211, e-mail
[email-masked];  Paul McGuire, Executive Vice President of Prime-Time
Programs, and Warren Littlefield, President, NBC Entertainment, 3000 W.
Alameda Avenue, Burbank, CA 91523, tel. 818-840-4444, e-mail
[email-masked] or [email-masked];  Ralph S. Larsen, Chairperson,
Johnson & Johnson, One Johnson & Johnson Plaza, New Brunswick, NJ 08933, tel.
908-524-0400 or 800-635-6789, fax 908-214-0332;  John E. Pepper, Chairperson,
Procter & Gamble, P.O. Box 599, Cincinnati, OH 45201, tel. 513-983-1100 or
800-435-9254, fax 513-945-9155.   

A L L   T H A T   G L I T T E R S   

Though the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) continues to sidestep complaints
that the company is promoting gay bashing through its popular TV programs,
several print media have paid some attention to the controversy.  At issue is
"Goldust" -- a featured WWF character who plays a gay menace, jeered by the
audience and bashed for their amusement [see "Wrestling With Homophobia,"
MediAlert, January 29; "Adding Insult To Injury," MediAlert, February 26].
 Goldust was recently the object of newspaper, magazine and cartoon accounts.

In an article for the "Stamford Advocate" (February 25) -- a daily newspaper
in the WWF's hometown -- staff writer Stacy Shelton did an admirable job of
reporting on the Goldust controversy.  Her balanced and well-researched piece
included interviews with WWF staff, as well as perspectives from various
queer individuals and groups (GLAAD, Triangle Community Center, NGLTF).
 Significantly, Shelton's article allowed lesbian and gay individuals to
express their concerns over the connection between mediated gay bashing and
real-life hate violence.

The WWF was also taken to task in a February 6 installment of Joe Hoover's
syndicated cartoon, "The Open Prairie." In the cartoon's first panel, Hoover
announces:  "The World Wrestling Federation features it's very own gay
wrestler, Goldust, whom the other wrestlers -- in a fit of 'Homosexual Panic'
-- attack and violently assault when he reveals his crush on them."  In two
subsequent panels, Hoover then suggests that -- to follow up on such
"success" -- the WWF might create such consistent characters as:  "Rowdy
Rodney King . . .  a black wrestler that white wrestlers beat and lynch when
they find out they are to lose to him" and "Tailhook . . .  a female wrestler
that male wrestlers beat and rape when she refuses to clean and iron their
tights."  Hoover's editorial cartoons are distributed by Open Prairie
Syndicate, the home to a number of progressive strips. 

Much-less-amusing coverage of Goldust can be found in the official "World
Wrestling Federation Magazine."  The latest (March 1996) issue includes an
extensive feature, "In the Line Of Fire:  Goldust."  Presented in the form of
an interview with the magazine's editor, the feature is touted as a "Goldust
speaks," "tell all" tale.  Not much is said, however.  In fact, the article
manages to avoid ANY specific references to either homosexuality or
homophobia.

Elsewhere in "WWF Magazine," the subject of homophobia IS at last raised
directly -- but very briefly.  In a news item titled "Goldust:  Is He Smarter
Than We Think?," the magazine reports:  "Whenever conversation comes up
concerning the World Wrestling Federation these days, it seems that the first
word out of everybody's mouth is GOLDUST.  It seems that people around the
world are intrigued by him, especially since he became -- shall we say --
infatuated with Razor Ramon [another WWF wrestler]."  

The magazine is quick to point out that "not everybody is hopping in the same
balcony as Goldust! . . .   As a matter of fact, many have become rather
offended by his 'questionable' remarks and gestures."  The article simply
concludes:  "Is it possible that Goldust may be more intelligent than we
think, and he is actually using the homophobic fear of others against them?
 Think about it."

Unfortunately, "WWF Magazine" fails to mention that many have also been
offended by the HOMOPHOBIC remarks and gestures made TOWARDS Goldust.  And
while audience response has indeed been roundly homophobic, the WWF has also
received (unacknowledged) letters encouraging Goldust's development -- as a
source of gay pride, instead of an object for gay bashing. 

If "WWF Magazine" really wants to give its readers (most of whom are children
and young adults) something to think about, the editor could do a feature on
homophobia and hate violence.  After all, the magazine regularly engages
other "pro-social concerns;" in the March 1996 issue, for example, the
editor's profile of WWF wrestler Savio Vega is used a platform for Vega's
"Don't Drop Out Of School!" message.

Unprecedented or not, the WWF has an absolute RESPONSIBILITY to address
homophobia directly and substantively -- particularly since the organization
continues to PROD homophobic reactions through its various media outlets.
 For example, in the course of a recent America Online interview (the WWF is
one of AOL's "Sports" features), the host posed this pre-fabricated query to
wrestler Ahmed Johnson:

        Question:    What would happen if Goldust ever came on to you?
        Ahmed:    He would be gold dust . . . 
        Question:    Ahmed, are you married? If so, any children?
        Ahmed:    No, I am not married.  And yes, I have a little boy . . . .

This disparaging theme permeates "WWF Magazine" as well; in the March issue,
a regular gossip columnist known only as "The Informer" warns readers with
this, unfortunately typical, reference:  "If you haven't seen he, she or it,
yet -- YOU WILL!  The bizarre GOLDUST will soon have a new 'friend' who will
accompany him to the ring!"

Goldust fever is not limited to the self-promoting media of the World
Wrestling Federation.  The character is also the subject of a feature story
in "Pro Wrestling Illustrated," a monthly magazine distributed
internationally.  An image of Goldust fills the magazine's May 1996 cover,
beneath a headline that screams:  "Un-Natural!  The WWF Has Finally Gone Too
Far!"  

Inside the magazine, writer Stu Saks argues that "the WWF has done many
off-beat things" and "on occasion, it has come very close to crossing the
thin line between acceptability and tastelessness."  However, Saks says,
"when the WWF allowed Goldust to place the likeness of Razor Ramon on his
outfit and pursue a romantic relationship with him, it went too far -- way
too far."

Though Saks declares such a theme "un-natural," he still manages -- for a
moment -- to pull himself back from the brink of homophobic hyperbole.  He
goes on to say that the Goldust character "blatantly plays upon the
stereotype of homosexuals and encourages us to laugh at them.  It wouldn't be
so offensive if Dustin Rhodes [who plays Goldust] really was a homosexual,
but as far as we know, he isn't."

Despite his obvious drag-phobia and gender rigidity, Saks also makes this
(relatively) "decent" point:  "The WWF . . . is encouraging us to believe
that all homosexuals act and dress as flamboyantly as Goldust and openly
force themselves upon the heterosexual community.  We thought this image of
homosexuals disappeared in the 1960s; sadly, we were incorrect.  The
backward, dangerous minds in the WWF still look upon the Goldust image as
reality."  

Unfortunately, Saks eventually gives in to a familiar cliche-of-the-closet.
 "There might well be several homosexuals in wrestling, just as in any
profession," he says.  "But you would no more know that these people are
homosexuals than you would know that the others are heterosexual, bisexual,
or asexual."  

In fact, pro wrestling promoters CONSTANTLY signify the heterosexuality of
their star performers.  Despite the pervasive homoerotic subtext of
professional wrestling, the male "athletes" are portrayed as deeply desired
by -- and desirous of -- their female fans.

As he argues his own version of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," Saks exhibits one of
the most common forms of heterosexist bias.  He writes:  "Even if [Goldust]
were [gay], the WWF should not be allowing -- even encouraging -- him to
'woo' Ramon during its telecasts.  By doing so, it has alienated fans and
probably a few sponsors.  The first time he made romantic overtures toward
Ramon, he should have been severely reprimanded, perhaps even fined or
suspended, and told that such actions would not be tolerated during
federation cards." 

 Saks concludes -- rhetorically -- with a question for Goldust:  "You want to
pursue a relationship with Ramon?  Do it on your own time."

Considering its source -- the tabloid-esque "Pro Wrestling Illustrated" --
Saks' article MIGHT almost be praised as "progressive."  However, any
compliments must be hedged, amply, with constructive criticism.  

In his call for the EXCLUSION of homophobic portrayals, Saks never supports
the INCLUSION of positive, diverse gay characters in pro-wrestling programs.
 More significantly, Saks denounced ONLY the way that Goldust treated his
heterosexual counterparts.  He did NOT condemn the way that THEY have treated
Goldust . . . by hurling homophobic epithets and, on at least one televised
occasion, brutally bashing him for simply being flirtatious.  

The mainstream media routinely situate homosexuality itself as the source of
conflict and object of inquest.  In the coverage of controversy, HOMOSEXUALS
-- rather than HOMOPHOBES --  are the usual suspects.

*** ACTION/OPTIONS!   Send constructive criticism or compliments, as
warranted, to each of the following:   
                Stuart M. Saks, Publisher, "Pro Wrestling Illustrated,"
London Publishing Co., 7002 W. Butler Pike, Ambler, PA 19002; copy your
correspondence to the magazine's reader comments (letters) column:  "Between
Falls," Box 1148, Ft. Washington, PA 19034.   
                Vincent Russo, Editor, "World Wrestling Federation Magazine,"
P.O. Box 3859, Stamford, CT 06905, fax 203-359-5118, e-mail
[email-masked]; comments to or about "The Informer's" column can be sent
to the same address, e-mail [email-masked]. 
                Joe Hoover, "The Open Prairie," P.O. Box 8117, Minneapolis,
MN 55408, e-mail [email-masked], URL
http://www.winternet.com/~oprairie/hoover.   
                Stacy Shelton, Staff Writer, "Stamford Advocate," Southern
Connecticut Newspapers, Inc., 75 Tresser Blvd., P.O. Box 9307, Stamford, CT
06904-9307, tel. 203-964-2257, fax 203-964-2345.
                America Online users can post comments directly to AOL's
World Wrestling Federation section (keyword: SUPERSTARS), which solicits
"fan" chat, user surveys, and feedback for various WWF media agencies.

_______________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________

ABOUT GLAAD . . . .    

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . .   shaping the forces that shape our society.  

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is an
independently-incorporated, nonprofit organization, which is volunteer-based
and member-supported.  Dedicated to cultural advocacy and media activism,
GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse representation of lesbian,
gay, bisexual and transgender lives.  The San Francisco chapter of GLAAD is
the largest and oldest in the nation.

To report any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, call the 24-hour
"MediAlert Hotline" (415-861-4588), or write to:  Gay & Lesbian Alliance
Against Defamation, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103,
tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

______________________________________________________

ABOUT MEDIALERTS . . . .    

"MediAlert!" is a weekly, critical- and action-oriented media watch column,
produced and distributed on request by GLAAD/SFBA.  This material may be
printed, published or posted, under these or any titles, in whole or part,
without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution may be made to "Al
Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San Francisco."  We greatly appreciate file copies
of any publications that make use of these reports.

________________________________________________________

ABOUT MEMBERSHIP . . . .   

GLAAD/SFBA's work is directly supported by our members.  To request a
membership brochure and further information about other GLAAD projects and
programs, please contact:  Kristy Billuni, Managing Director, GLAAD, San
Francisco Bay Area Chapter, tel. 415-861-3021, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail
[email-masked], URL  http://www.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

For membership information in any of the following cities, direct requests to
these GLAAD Chapter Offices:  Atlanta (tel. 404-876-1398, fax 404-876-4051),
Chicago (tel. 312-871-7633, fax 312-685-8064), Dallas (tel. 214-521-5342 ext.
816, fax 214-247-5803), Kansas City (tel. 816-374-5927, fax 816-561-7604),
Washington, DC (tel. 202-429-9500, fax 202-857-0077), San Diego (tel.
619-688-0094, fax 619-294-4814).

________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________

"MediAlert" [TM]  and "Project 21" [TM] are trademarks of the Gay & Lesbian
Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area, a nonprofit [501(c)(3)]
organization; the views expressed by GLAAD/SFBA do not necessarily represent
the opinions of other GLAAD chapters or offices.