Subject: MediAlert!, February 26
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 21:55:31 -0500

___________________________________________________
INDEX:  "MediAlert! -- February 26"
1. "Killing Us Softly" (Lilly Tomlin, Armistead Maupin, Ellen DeGeneres, TV
Guide, The Celluloid Closet, National Writers Union).
2. "Adding Insult to Injury" (World Wrestling Federation Fan Services).
3. "Robertson Redress" (Mel White; Christian Coalition; 700 Club; Pat
Robertson's Anti-Homosexual Campaign-A Case Study in the Rhetoric of
Intolerance).
4. "Minding Their Business" (KSFO; ABC; Kmart). 
5. "Video Phobia" (The Report; The Gay Agenda; The Gay Agenda in Public
Education; The Ultimate Target of the Gay Agenda: Same-Sex Marriage).
6. "Definitive Action" (ILGA-Portugal; Porto Editora). 
7.  "Health Hazard" (Men's Health)
8. "Web Watch . . . " (Pop Front Press; Progressive Networks/WebActive; Hon.
Carole Migden; Project McLuhan; Children's Animated Television/Fight The
Right).
9.  "In The Alternatives . . . " (Girlfriends Magazine; Aqua Net). 
11. "Sound Bite" (Michael Musto).
12. General Information (about GLAAD; about MediAlerts).
___________________________________________________

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  

           M  e  d  i  A  l  e  r  t      

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  

for the week of 
February 26, 1996 

by
Al Kielwasser 
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 
San Francisco Bay Area 

K I L L I N G   U S   S O F T L Y   

It is an especially painful fact of pop cultural life.  Even the brightest
stars can inhabit the dimmest closets.  

Over past few decades, Lilly Tomlin has established herself as the archetype
of a unique closet case -- the "conspicuously silent" -- the celebrities who
might not deny their lesbian or gay identity outright, but certainly do
NOTHING to affirm the truth.  Instead, they desperately evade the issue at
every turn, and are often aided in their contortions by journalists -- in
both the queer and mainstream press.  

Most recently, Tomlin's evasive maneuvers left one outspoken gay author --
 Armistead Maupin -- feeling "profoundly disappointed and slightly used."
 Both Maupin and Tomlin had worked together on the newly-released documentary
version of "The Celluloid Closet," based on Vito Russo's pioneering history
of "homosexuality in the movies."  According to Maupin, he only agreed to
write the film's narration -- which Tomlin delivered -- because she led him
to believe that "she'd use this film as a vehicle for coming out."  The film
is now officially out, but Tomlin isn't.  

Maupin told the "Village Voice" (Jan. 30) that before his death in 1990, Vito
Russo specifically indicated "he wanted an out-of-the-closet actor to narrate
the film."   "My feeling was it should either be an openly gay person or a
sympathetic straight person," Maupin said.  "Instead, I have to endure the
cruel irony of a film called 'The Celluloid Closet' narrated by a closeted
person!"  

As for Tomlin's "progressive" appeal, Maupin advises fans to wake up and
smell the homophobia:  "I'm tired of hearing apologies from people saying,
'Well, she's done so much for gay people . . . .  Silence about her sexuality
undermines all her good work and it reinforces the notion that homosexuality
is something to be tolerated, but never discussed.  That's not the message I
want to send to teenagers, nor the message of 'The Celluloid Closet.'"

Tomlin's silence was never more deafening, in fact, then on February 6 -- as
she yucked it up at a White House press event CELEBRATING passage of the new
telecommunications act [see "An Indecent Act," MediAlert, Jan. 12].  One
journalist lambasted Tomlin's performance in a column aptly titled "Uncle
Tomlin?" (Susan Gerhard, "Bay Guardian," Feb. 14).  The "staged hoopla" was
also criticized by the "Bay Area Reporter" (Feb. 15), which editorialized:
 "Tomlin's antics had Gore in stitches, while the First Amendment was being
torn to ribbons.  Both of them should have known better.  Forcing silence and
ignorance upon the world, especially in the name of the educational
opportunity that is the Internet, is no laughing matter."  

Bob Chatelle, a representative of the National Writers Union (one of 20 ACLU
plaintiffs currently challenging the "decency" act in court), also found the
performance disturbing -- though not entirely unexpected.  "Given Tomlin's
famous 'discretion' about her own sexual orientation, I suppose it's not
surprising that she cares so little about censorship," Chatelle said.  "But I
find it most troubling that she would be this callous about the feelings (and
Constitutional rights) of those of us who choose NOT to hide in our closets."

Unfortunately, a younger generation of lesbian and gay actors has not been
immune to Tomlin's "discretion sickness."  Most notable among them, perhaps,
is Ellen DeGeneres.  In interview after cagey interview, DeGeneres has
refused to identify as lesbian -- asserting her "right to privacy" (when she
asserts anything at all).  

Last year (Nov. 24-25, 1995), in a cover story for "USA Weekend's" 39 million
readers, DeGeneres told her interviewer:  "What's the issue?  If it's
important to someone to know what my sexuality is, I'm sorry."  In the same
article, the interviewer noted:  "I just saw a study in which people around
the country were asked whether their opinion of a favorite actor would change
if they knew the actor was gay, and over 60 percent said no."  To which
DeGeneres replied:  "I don't believe that."

More recently, a feature story in "TV Guide" -- the nation's largest weekly
magazine (circulation 14 million) --  examined "The Ever Changing World of
Ellen - And How She Runs It" (Feb. 10-16, 1996).  The reporter, Daniel Howard
Cerone, panders to the journalistic double standard that maintains
HOMOsexuality as the singular privacy convention "respected" by celebrity
reporters.  

Cerone quotes DeGeneres, who says "In my life, I've found that people are
really frightened of strong women."  The reporter then observes:  "Perhaps
that's why DeGeneres politely refuses to dish up her personal life for public
consumption.  What she will share:  She's in a loving relationship, and she
feels too selfish right now to take on the challenge of motherhood."

It appears that the only thing DeGeneres actually "refuses to dish up"  are
the LESBIAN qualities of her "private life."  She apparently has no problem
"dishing up" a host of other personal facts for "TV Guide's" readers -- from
"I don't dress to show off my body" to "I'm a very open-minded, very liberal,
very strong woman . . . .  I'm very comfortable with who I am."  DeGeneres
also states, once more for the record:  "It's amazing to me that everyone
thinks I have a responsibility to divulge my personal life."

Of course, demanding one's privacy while parading through the popular press
-- in interview after interview -- is laughably disingenuous.  But even if,
for a moment, the claim could be taken seriously, it still suffers from
several logical faults.  First, such demands for privacy treat sexual
IDENTITY as if it were essentially salacious stuff.  Yet asking Ellen
DeGeneres if she is a lesbian is NOT AT ALL the same as asking her with whom
and how she "does it."  

As with other social standards, the so-called "right to privacy" does not
always mean the same thing for heterosexual and homosexual citizens.  Writing
for a special "gay ethics" issue of the "Journal of Homosexuality," Jeremiah
McCarthy concluded:  "What is counted as PRIVACY for the homosexual here
would be SECRECY for the heterosexual, the right never to have information
divulged that one is straight.  But no such right in the realm of
heterosexuality is claimed or recognized.  It is hard to see, therefore, that
there is any such privacy right."   

Unfortunately, internalized homophobia is seldom contained, but is often
externalized.  And whenever celebrities are involved, it is typically
amplified -- on a massive scale.  

Whether gay public figures have an obligation to act as "role models" for a
gay community is, at best, a secondary concern.  What is at issue here is
whether or not gay public figures are acting -- however "inadvertently" -- as
role models for HOMOPHOBES.

Indeed, the "privacy" rights typically claimed by closeted celebrities are
indistinguishable from the "don't flaunt it" demands made by ardent
homophobes (who insist the solution to homosexuality is to "just leave it in
the bedroom").  Claims about "being discrete" demonstrate even less valor.
 As Armistead Maupin asks of closeted gay teachers:  "What earthly good is
your discretion, when teenagers are still being murdered for the crime of
effeminacy?"  

It's a question that ought to be asked of closeted celebrities, too.  For all
their undoubted talent, these celebrities remind us -- still -- of the many
ways that silence equals death.

*** ACTIONS/OPTIONS!   As media scholar Larry Gross (author of "Contested
Closets-The Politics and Ethics of Outing") points out:  "No one is obliged
to make a fabulous living as a movie, television, or recording star, and
those do take on this burden can be held accountable for the images they
promote."  Hold the "silent celebrities" accountable; remind them that the
"privacy" they invoke conceals only their pride.  Also, regularly encourage
journalists to avoid double standards with regard to "privacy" and sexual
orientation.  
               Contacts:  Ellen DeGeneres, c/o Bantam Books Author Mail, 1540
Broadway, New York, NY 10036;  Jack Curry, Managing Editor, "TV Guide,"
Radnor, PA 19088;  Mike Salinas, Editor, "Bay Area Reporter," 395 Ninth
Street, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-861-5019 or 415-861-7230;  Bob
Chatelle, National Writers Union & Boston Coalition for Freedom of
Expression, e-mail [email-masked], URL http://world.std.com/~kip/.

A D D I N G   I N S U L T   T O   I N J U R Y

The World Wrestling Federation (WWF) has been nonresponsive to concerns that
the company is promoting homophobia through its popular television programs
[see "Wrestling With Homophobia," MediAlert, Jan. 29].  At the center of the
controversy is "Goldust," one of WWF's featured wrestlers, who has been
portrayed as a  menacing gay freak.  In the storyline for a particularly
offensive broadcast, Goldust flirted with one of the "normal" heterosexual
wrestlers who responded by "heroically" beating him senseless.

In response to individual complaints, WWF has sent out an evasive form
letter.  Signed by the company's Fan Services Coordinator, Christine Wypy,
the letter explains that the "World Wrestling Federation appeals to a broad
spectrum of fans."  To achieve this "universal appeal," Wypy says, "we
utilize different characters, story lines, and techniques creating a degree
of controversy as we do so."

"Goldust, by design, with his androgynous presentation is bizarre and
controversial," Wypy writes.  She further explains:  "The overriding theme of
the Goldust character is that he uses unorthodox elements to keep his
competitors off track, confused, and yes, even sometimes disgusted.  That
kind of mental stimulation is acted out through bizarre gestures some of
which have sexual overtones, however, were not intentionally designed to
offend."

Wypy's "response" completely ignores the central issue (not to mention the
rules of grammar).  She treats homosexuality as the problem, rather than
homophobia.  Significantly, Wypy apologizes for the GAY character's behavior.
 She never mentions the GAY BASHER.  

The WWF's response carefully avoids any mention -- let alone condemnation --
of hate violence.  Whether or not the company (rightfully) assumes
responsibility for promoting homophobic bigotry, it could AT LEAST
acknowledge that the problem exists.

***  ACTIONS/OPTIONS!  Demand a less-evasive and more-constructive response
from the WWF; encourage the company to actually help combat (rather than
promote) homophobia through it's expansive media outlets, most of which
target children and young adults.  Contact:  Christine M. Wypy, Fan Services
Coordinator, World Wrestling Federation, TitanSports, Inc., Titan Tower, 1241
East Main Street , P.O. Box 3857, Stamford, CT 06902, tel. 203-352-8600, fax
203-352-8699; copy correspondence to Linda E. McMahon, President of
TitanSports, at the same address.
                You might encourage the WWF to add remedial anti-violence
information to its America Online "Sports" site (keyword:  SuperStars), which
could easily provide references -- or better yet, actual links -- to AOL's
Gay & Lesbian Community Forum (keyword:  GLCF) or to the World Wide Web pages
of groups like Community United Against Violence
(http://www.xq.com/cuav/index.html) and the National Coalition for Gay,
Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Youth (http://www.cyberspaces.com/outproud/).
 Currently, the WWF site links only to recruiting information from an
"official" company sponsor -- the U.S. Army.
                Finally, pitch this story to WWF's monthly magazine, which
has not previously covered the problem of homophobic hate violence.  Contact:
 Vincent Russo, Editor, "World Wrestling Federation Magazine," P.O. Box 3859,
Stamford, CT 06905.

R O B E R T S O N   R E D R E S S

In his continuing battle against the rhetoric of the Christian Coalition, Mel
White has begun circulating "a resolution to condemn the false and
inflammatory anti-homosexual campaign of Pat Robertson," the founder of the
Christian Coalition and CEO of the Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN).
 Since 1995, White has monitored every broadcast of Robertson's daily TV
series, the "700 Club;" the petition advises Robertson that his "media and
print campaign against homosexuals is polluting the moral environment of the
nation."  White plans to collect signed petitions and deliver them to
Robertson and the national media on Pride Sunday, this June.  

White has also produced a 35-minute videotape -- "Pat Robertson's
Anti-Homosexual Campaign: A Case Study in the Rhetoric of Intolerance" --
which features "dozens of examples" of Robertson's "dangerous and outlandish
comments."  White intends to distribute the tape to various media and civic
groups across the country.

Before accepting his own sexual orientation, White served as the ghost-writer
for Pat Robertson's best-selling book "America's Dates With Destiny."  

***  ACTIONS/OPTIONS!   For a free copy of the video tape or petitions to
sign and circulate, contact:  Dr. Mel White, P.O. Box 609, Ennis, TX 75120,
fax 214-875-4858, e-mail [email-masked].   

M I N D I N G   T H E I R   B U S I N E S S  

The Kmart Corporation recently demonstrated its better business practices by
REFUSING to advertise on radio station KSFO (560 AM), which broadcasts a "Hot
Talk" format more aptly described as "hate talk."  Typical of the station's
jeremiads is this "World AIDS Day" message -- directed to gays -- from the
microphone of KSFO host Spencer Hughes:  "I am fed up with people saying that
homosexual sex is just as normal as heterosexual sex!  It's an absolute lie
and it has to end here . . . .  And if you can't handle that, the hell with
you!  Keep up with your dangerous lifestyle and you'll end up in a casket too
. . . ." 

 Kmart is the latest in a series of companies that have refused to subsidize
KSFO's homophobic rants.  "We continue to instruct our agency to review all
radio buys to insure that this particular station is not included," said
Deborah Musselman, a Kmart spokesperson.   

KSFO broadcasts in the San Francisco Bay Area, and the station is owned and
operated by ABC.  

***  ACTIONS/OPTIONS!   Contact:  Deborah A. Musselman, Director of Agency
Relations & Administration, Kmart Corporation, International Headquarters,
3100 West Big Beaver Road, Troy, MI 48084-3163, tel. 810-643-3193 or
800-635-6278.  Copy your correspondence to the station and the network:  Jack
Swanson, Operations Manager, KSFO-AM Radio, 900 Front Street, San Francisco,
CA 94111-1450, tel. 415-398-5600, fax 415-954-8700, e-mail [email-masked];
 Office of the President, ABC Radio Division, 77 W. 66th Street, New York, NY
10023-6298, tel. 212-456-7777.

M E D I A   B R I E F S

*  VIDEO PHOBIA . . .    The hate mongers at "The Report," producers of such
infamous video fare as "The Gay Agenda" and "The Gay Agenda in Public
Education," have released a new "documentary."  Their latest feature is
titled:  "The Ultimate Target of the Gay Agenda:  Same-Sex Marriage."  
                Successfully inspiring a number of anti-gay initiatives and
inquests, the earlier "gay agenda" videos have been widely-distributed
amongst local "church" groups -- and members of the U.S. Congress.  The
"marriage" tape will likely be put to similar use.  
                Contact:  The Report/Springs of Life Ministries, 42640 10th
Street West, Lancaster, CA 93534, tel. 1-800-462-4700; advise your elected
representatives to denounce -- and the local news media to expose -- this
video venom.

* DEFINITIVE ACTION . . .    The lesbian/gay group ILGA-Portugal reports that
one of the country's most prominent dictionaries includes "aberration" and
"inversion" in the definitions of lesbianism and homosexuality, respectively.
 ILGA-Portugal members are asking the international community to join with
them in a letter-writing campaign to the dictionary's publisher, Porto
Editora.
                Contact:  Porto Editora, Rua da Restauragco 365, 4040 Porto,
Portugal, fax 011-351-2-606-2787; copy your correspondence to ILGA-Portugal,
Apartado 21281, 1131 Lisboa Codex, Portugal, e-mail [email-masked]. 

* HEALTH HAZARD . . .    The January/February issue of "Men's Health" offers
housing advice that one offended reader, Kerry Abel, describes as "a
backhanded swipe" against gays.  The magazine contains a brief column about
finding a place to live, which suggests the following:  "Step Two -- Stake
out the neighbors.  Are they flaky? . . .  What are the colors of the local
gangs? (Be careful if they wear pastels)."  Contact:  Steven Slon, Managing
Editor, "Men's Health," Rodale Press, Inc., 33 E. Minor Street, Emmaus, PA
18098, tel. 610-967-5171, e-mail [email-masked].

* WEB WATCH . . .     

                (1). Gay/lesbian popular music is the subject of two books
published by Pop Front Press; information and photos are extracted online
(http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PopFront).
                (2). Progressive Networks, Inc., maintains a useful web site
that describes, indexes and links various activist organizations; contact Sam
Tucker (e-mail [email-masked]), Progressive Networks, Inc. -- Home of
WebActive (http://www.webactive.com).
                (3). Carole Migden's office has announced that the lesbian
politician continues to "take the lead on making herself available in
Cyberspace," by establishing a new World Wide Web site
(http://www.sirius.com/~migden/).  Migden is a member of the San Francisco
Board of Supervisors and a candidate for state office in California; he can
also be reached by e-mail ([email-masked]).
                (4). Nearly two decades after his death, theorist Marshall
McLuhan continues to provide insight into the media and messages that massage
our daily lives; appropriately, McLuhan's ideas can now be explored online,
at the Project McLuhan web site (http://www.vyne.com/mcluhan).
                (5). Children's Animated Television continues to provide
"hope and information for the family of the future" through the CAT Web
Homepage, which recently added a "Fight The Right" resource site
(http://www1.usa1.com/~furball/fight_the_right/).

* IN THE ALTERNATIVES . . .   

                (1). Covering "culture, politics, and sexuality" since 1994,
"Girlfriends" is now "the fastest-growing national lesbian magazine,"
according to publisher Erin Findlay.  Recently, the magazine launched a web
site, which features "editorial content, gossip about the staff, great links,
and valuable resources" (http://www.gfriends.com),  "It's a first in lesbian
publishing!," says Findlay.  Contact:  "Girlfriends" Magazine, 3415 Cesar
Chavez, Suite 101, San Francisco, CA 94110, tel. 415-648-9464, fax
415-648-4705.
                (2). AQUA is a social and support service, run for and by
those who are "Asian/Pacific Islander Queer/Questioning 25 and Under
Altogether."  The group recently published the first issue of it's zine --
"Aqua Net" -- and is now seeking submissions for the second.  Content
parameters are widely scoped, to include "stories, experiences, pictures,
drawings, art, and just about anything else you can think of."  Contact:
 "Aqua net," 1841 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-575-3939,
ext. 316.

* SOUND BITE . . .   

" I agree, I agree, I agree, and feel that Lily Tomlin staying semicloseted
while promoting her role in this film is like Kathie Lee Gifford narrating
the cable show 'Positively Jewish' (don't worry, she isn't)."
                --  Michael Musto, columnist, agreeing with Armistead Maupin
regarding Tomlin and "The Celluloid Closet," in the "Village Voice," January
30, 1996  

___________________________________________________

ABOUT GLAAD

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . .   shaping the forces that shape our society.  

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is an
independently-incorporated, nonprofit organization, which is volunteer-based
and member-supported.  Dedicated to cultural advocacy and media activism,
GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse representation of lesbian,
gay, bisexual and transgender lives.  The San Francisco chapter of GLAAD is
the largest and oldest in the nation.

To report any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, call the 24-hour
"MediAlert Hotline" (415-861-4588), or write to:  Gay & Lesbian Alliance
Against Defamation, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103,
tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

___________________________________________________

ABOUT MEDIALERTS

"MediAlerts" are biweekly, action-oriented columns, produced and distributed
on request by GLAAD/SFBA.  This material may be printed, published or posted,
under these or any titles, in whole or part, without prior permission.  When
appropriate, attribution may be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San
Francisco."  We greatly appreciate file copies of any publications that make
use of these reports.

___________________________________________________

ABOUT GLAAD MEMBERSHIP

GLAAD/SFBA's work is directly supported by our members.  To request a
membership brochure and further information about other GLAAD projects and
programs, please contact:  Kristy Billuni, Managing Director, GLAAD, San
Francisco Bay Area Chapter, tel. 415-861-3021, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail
[email-masked], URL  http://www.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

For membership information in any of the following cities, direct requests to
these GLAAD Chapter Offices:  Atlanta (tel. 404-876-1398, fax 404-876-4051),
Chicago (tel. 312-871-7633, fax 312-685-8064), Dallas (tel. 214-521-5342 ext.
816, fax 214-247-5803), Kansas City (tel. 816-374-5927, fax 816-561-7604),
Washington, DC (tel. 202-429-9500, fax 202-857-0077), San Diego (tel.
619-688-0094, fax 619-294-4814).

___________________________________________________

"MediAlert" [TM]  and "Project 21" [TM] are trademarks of the Gay & Lesbian
Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area, a nonprofit [501(c)(3)]
organization; the views expressed by GLAAD/SFBA do not necessarily represent
the opinions of other GLAAD chapters or offices.