Subject: GLAAD MediAlert, Jan.29-Feb.4
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 03:11:00 -0500

_________________________________________________________
INDEX:  "GLAAD MediAlert, Jan.29-Feb.4"

1.  "Wrestling With Homophobia" (Monday Night Raw, Action Zone, World
Wrestling Federation, USA Network, World Wrestling Federation Magazine).
2.  "Raw Nerves" (Monday Night Raw, WWF, Jenny Jones, Scott Amedure/Jonathan
Schmitz, America Online).
3.  "Unfriendly Behavior" (Friends, NBC, Newt Gingrich, Focus on the Family,
WLIO, KJAC, KTFA, WESH).
4.  General Information (about GLAAD; about MediAlerts; about membership).

Note: "MediAlert BRIEFS, Jan.29-Feb.4" is posted separately. 
_________________________________________________________

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

      M  e  d  i  A  l  e  r  t   

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

for the week of 
January 29 - February 4, 1996 

by
Al Kielwasser 
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 
San Francisco Bay Area 

W R E S T L I N G    W I T H    H O M O P H O B I A

"Monday Night Raw" -- a weekly TV series produced by the World Wrestling
Federation (WWF) -- has literally made a "sport" out of gay bashing.  In
addition to the usual staged wrestling matches, the WWF series now features
"entertaining" acts of hate violence.

For several months, one of WWF's featured wrestlers --  "Goldust" -- has
essentially played the role of a "gay menace," lusting after (ostensibly)
heterosexual wrestlers and provoking melodramatic disgust.  According to
publicity materials, Goldust is a "flamboyant Hollywood legend" who --
"despite his wigs and glittery appearance" -- is "proving to be one of the
toughest competitors in the World Wrestling Federation."  

However, audiences for "Monday Night Raw" are patently cued to jeer Goldust
-- not simply as a villain, but a freak.  Ringside announcers have referred
to him as "a thing," and Goldust's opponents are described as "anxious for
the opportunity to get rid of an obnoxious wrestler whose very presence bugs
them."

During the January 15 broadcast of "Monday Night Raw," Goldust was violently
attacked for revealing his crush on another WWF wrestler, Razor Ramon.  The
scene was re-broadcast during the January 20 episode of WWF's "Action Zone."

While standing before the cameras, Goldust proceeded to publicly lisp his
romantic intentions regarding Ramon.  Meanwhile, Ramon -- a classic "he-man"
icon and WWF "hero" -- is seen "off-camera," his anger steadily rising.
 "Homosexual panic" hit full tilt when Goldust revealed a heart-shaped tattoo
on his chest, inscribed with the name "Razor Ramon."  

In a seething rage, Ramon tracked down the "unsuspecting" Goldust and
cornered him in a hallway.  To assuage his insulted manhood (and entertain
the fans), Ramon proceeded to savagely beat Goldust.  In a fight staged
without resistance, Ramon repeatedly punched and kicked Goldust, hit him with
various objects (including a garbage can), and attempted to crush his skull
against the floor and walls.  Even as Goldust crawled out of the building and
into the street,  Ramon continued the assault.

Though staged to excite and entertain, this attack possessed none of the
comic-book overtones typical of professional wrestling bouts.  As one
critical viewer observed, the whole sequence "was decidedly not funny . . .
the implicit message was, 'If a gay man comes on to you, it is okay to
assault him.'"  In fact -- it's not only permissible, but positively
DESIREABLE.  

Key portions of Ramon's attack have since been replayed and rebroadcast
several times -- some sequences in slow motion -- to create a spectacle that
amounts, effectively, to a celebration of the basher's performance.
  Apparently, cracking open a gay man's head is not just a right, or even a
duty -- it's a bona fide athletic skill.  

According to WWF representative Keith Greenberg, "Monday Night Raw" is now
"the highest-rated weekly series on cable television" and attracts "nearly
five million people just in the United States, where the program is broadcast
in both English and Spanish."  WWF publishes a popular monthly magazine, as
well, which also targets children and young adults.  

Ironically, the pages of "World Wrestling Federation Magazine" are splashed
with "Presidential Seals of Approval" -- certifying that WWF programs provide
"Wholesome Family Sports Entertainment."

****  ACTIONS/OPTIONS!    Comments and concerns should be sent to WWF
headquarters and the USA Network.  Contact:  Linda E. McMahon, President,
World Wrestling Federation/TitanSports, Inc., Titan Tower, 1241 East Main
Street, Stamford, CT 06902-3521, tel. 203-352-8600; USA Network, Audience
Services, 1230 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10020, tel. 212-408-9100.
  
                Copy your correspondence or send additional comments to:
 Vincent Russo, Editor, "World Wrestling Federation Magazine," P.O. Box 3859,
Stamford, CT 06905, tel. 904-445-4320 (customer service); though geared
toward young readers, the magazine publishes letters from both children and
adults.

R A W    N E R V E S 

Popularity alone -- "the ratings" -- is no indicator of television's impact.
 In terms of effects, there is a significant (yet often overlooked)
distinction between audience attention and interpretation.  Some sense of the
audience response to WWF's gay-bashing melodrama [see "Wrestling With
Homophobia," above] can be gleaned from cyberspace, in the online forums and
Internet newsgroups inhabited by fans of professional wrestling.  

A review of this online chatter reveals  a range of critical response -- from
the bemused to the bigoted.  However, a majority of the messages clearly
resonate with the homophobia promoted on "Monday Night Raw."

The "Sports" area of America On Line (AOL) features a World Wrestling
Federation section, sponsored by the U. S. Army.  Along with other WWF
paraphernalia, AOL users can now download a series of still photos depicting
each gory phase of Razor Ramon's January 15 attack on Goldust.  

AOL's WWF section also includes a number of forums for "cyberspace chit
chat."  One forum invites fans to post messages for and about particular
wrestlers, and each WWF "superstar" has his own folder.  Though Goldust's
folder contains a few supportive threads, most of the messages are homophobic
rants.  A few examples:

        -- "Goldust, I think you are very weird, because you like another man
and his name is Razor Ramon.  When he fights you, he will kick your butt, and
he will make you into a man.  From, A True Wrestling Fan" ([email-masked]).

        -- "Fagdust, Gaydust, Homodust:  I think all fags should be taken to
an island and have a couple atomic bombs dropped on them"
([email-masked]).

        -- "Goldust, you are the grossest, sickest, most disgusting thing
that I have ever seen.  I am glad that Razor Ramon kicked your butt when he
attacked you in the middle of your interview" ([email-masked]). 

        -- "Hey Ya Fucin Faggot:  You're a bitch and so is your dad.  Razor
is gonna kick your queer ass like he did on 'Raw.'  How did that utility box
feel, you damn fag.  Burn in hell.  Bbbiiitttccchhh" ([email-masked]).

Similar harangues can be found on the Internet, along with a few encouragng
posts.  A representative sampling of the hundreds, if not thousands, of these
messages would be impractical.  The following  -- from the
"rec.sport.pro-wrestling" newsgroup -- are illustrative:

        -- "I think Log Cabin members are probably more damaging to [the gay]
community than Goldust" ([email-masked]). 

        -- "I am a 15 year old straight (only like women, HAVE A GIRLFRIEND)
young man.  However, my mother is a homosexual and used to love to watch the
WWF with me.  We had a ton of fun.  Now . . .  the WWF has completely
insulted my mom"  ([email-masked]).

        -- "Goldust got too much offense in.  I would have had Razor beat the
hell out of him and be forced away by the officials who would have completely
ignored Goldust.  Goldust could have just lain on the floor in agony . . .
  begging for help without getting any" ([email-masked]).

        -- "I just hope Razor gets far away from Goldust or else he to might
turn into a faggot" ([email-masked]).

        -- "Goldust getting battered on was the funniest thing I've ever seen
on 'Raw' in a long time.  It was great how Razor kept beating on him,
slamming him into walls and doors and pounding him with trash cans. Ha ha ha,
it's good to see that ["Monday Night Raw"] is showing the 'new generation'
how faggots should be treated anyway" ([email-masked]).

The notion that "Monday Night Raw" could provide lessons in "how faggots
should be treated" is certainly chilling -- and not farfetched.  Given the
similarities between mediated gay bashings and real-life hate crimes, it is
reasonable to assume that the two are at least mutually supportive.  

Real-life gay bashers routinely claim that they -- like the fictional Razor
Ramon -- were victimized first.  Recently in Texas, for example, Daniel Bean,
19, and Ronald Gauthier, 21, attacked a gay man and stabbed him repeatedly --
at least 35 times -- until he bled to death.  The assailants later bragged:
 "We cut up this fag real bad."  When caught, "they confessed to the crime,
but claimed it was provoked by sexual advances" ("Texas Triangle," Jan. 14).

In a case that bears an even more-striking resemblance to WWF plot lines, a
gay man -- Scott Amedure -- was murdered last March, a few days after he
revealed his crush on a neighbor, Jonathan Schmitz.  The two men were guests
on the "Jenny Jones" talk show, as part of an episode dedicated to "secret
crushes."  

After the show's taping, during the plane ride back to Michigan from Chicago,
Schmitz told another passenger:  "The longer I think about this, the angrier
I could get."  Once home, Schmitz shot Amedure twice -- at close range --
with a new shotgun.  

Schmitz told a 911 operator that the reason he killed Amedure was because "he
fucked me on national TV."

****  ACTIONS/OPTIONS!     Encourage AOL to encourage WWF to provide a
resource for COMBATING rather than PROMOTING homophobia and hate violence.
 Contact:  Steve Case, President, America Online, Inc., 8619 Westwood Ctr.
Dr., Vienna, VA 22182-2285, tel. 800-827-6364 or 703-448-8700, fax
703-448-0760, e-mail [email-masked].
                Replies can be e-mailed to any of the messages listed above;
responses and additional comments can also be posted to the WWF section on
AOL (keywords:  WWF or Superstars) and the "rec.sport.pro-wrestling" Internet
newsgroup.

U N F R I E N D L Y    B E H A V I O R

The "lesbian wedding" episode of NBC's hit sitcom "Friends" (Jan. 18)
continues to draw praise, protest, . . .  and potentially-positive
"indifference."  Several homophobic groups have launched letter writing
campaigns and advertiser boycotts, and a few TV stations either delayed or
dropped the episode [see "Friends and Foes," GLAAD MediAlert, Jan.15-21].
 However, the vast majority of NBC affiliates -- some 212 stations -- opted
to broadcast the episode, and it's ceremonial celebration of queer love.

The minister officiating at the "Friends" wedding was played by Candace
Gingrich -- homosexual sister of homophobe Newt Gingrich.  Regarding his
sister's performance, the House Speaker said:  "It's great that she has a
job."  In an interview with the "Atlanta Journal-Constitution" (Jan. 19), he
snidely added:  "I have another sister, by the way, who belongs to the
Christian Coalition, who has not been approached about doing a situation
comedy, who has not been glorified by Hollywood, who has not had a chance to
go and do interesting things like that.  My sister, Susan, would probably be
equally willing for you to call her."

Apparently, it has not occurred to the Honorable Newt that -- for nearly 50
years -- television has done NOTHING BUT "glorify" his sister Susan.  June
Cleaver and Carol Brady spent years in prime time; Candace Gingrich was given
a few minutes. 

Writing for "The New York Times" (Jan. 20), columnist David Dunlap has
suggested that neither praise nor criticism is the story here, but rather the
seeming NON-reaction surrounding "Friends."  "A prime-time same-sex wedding
might have provoked widespread rebellion among network affiliates not too
many years ago," Dunlap said.  "During any other television season, it would
have been the same-sex wedding of the year.  This season, it was more like
the same-sex wedding of the month."

However muted, a bigoted backlash continues to ripple around the wedding
episode of "Friends."  Focus on the Family (FOF) is the latest Right Wing
"Christian" group to join the campaign.  FOF's weekly "Family Issues Alert"
(Jan. 17) warns readers that "the popular NBC sitcom" is produced by "a
declared homosexual," and that, through television's influence,  people might
"become used to" gays.  FOF urges members to complain to their local NBC
affiliates and "express your dissatisfaction to NBC General Manager Bill
Bolster" (actually, Bolster is the general manager of WNBC-TV, an anchor
station owned and operated by the network).

Several NBC affiliates capitulated to homophobia.  In a move reminiscent of
ABC's decision to delay "Roseanne's" gay wedding episode, an Ohio TV station
-- WLIO -- pushed the lesbian-wedding episode of "Friends" from 8 PM to
Midnight.  WLIO general manager Bruce Operman reports that calls have been
"about 12-to-1 in favor" of his station's decision.

Another NBC affiliate -- KJAC, in Texas -- refused to air the "Friends"
episode at any time, and broadcast "a Super Bowl special" in its place.
 KJAC's general manager, Ron Kelly, said he "did not believe the episode of
'Friends' meets prevailing standards of good taste in our community."
 Arguing that the program's message was not "proper," Kelly added:  "This is
endorsing a lesbian wedding with a minister and a child."  

According to Kelly, most of the response he received -- including some 400
phone calls -  has SUPPORTED his decision to ban the broadcast.  A plaque
honoring the station's homophobia was awarded by a local "Christian" radio
station, KTFA, which marshaled nearly 50 businesses and churches to sing the
praises of KJAC.  Lee Melton, sales manager at KTFA, explained:  "We just
wanted to say 'thank you for being a friend.'  The other guys are like
Goliath and we're like David, but we do have a few stones."     

Unlike KJAC or WILO, Florida's WESH-Channel 2 DID broadcast the wedding
episode of "Friends" in its regularly-scheduled time slot.  However, the
station felt it was necessary to caution viewers about the show's "adult
nature."  A viewer advisory was broadcast during the WESH evening news, just
prior to "Friends."  

Before the episode even aired, WESH general manager Lew Freifeld reported
receiving "about 100 negative calls."  However, Freifeld told "The Orlando
Sentinel" (Jan. 18), he believed the network had ensured that the lesbian
wedding subplot would be presented "in an adult fashion" and that NBC had
"taken steps to make sure it's as sensitively presented as possible."  "We're
going to carry the show, and hopefully, people will not turn us off,"
Freifeld said. 

WESH's response may be less-offensive than WLIO's or KJAC's.  If not
offensive, however, Freifeld's faint hope is hardly persuasive.  His defense
of lesbian representation is all-too-typical, inasmuch as it says NOTHING
that DIRECTLY affirms lesbians (or fairness, truth, diversity, tolerance . .
. .  ).  

Perhaps more to the point, Freifeld's defense also says nothing that directly
disavows homophobia.  In fact, his decision  --  to alert viewers to the
"adult nature" of the lesbian wedding -- actually PANDERS to homophobia.
 There was nothing particularly "adult" about this wedding (the newlyweds
didn't even kiss!), and the label only serves to PROMOTE the very bigotry the
broadcast hoped to combat.

In a column for the "Philadelphia Daily News" (Jan. 16), Mubarak Dahir makes
an important point -- one that seems perennially lost on broadcasters like
Freifeld.  Dahir says:  "The one thing that studies about gay and lesbian
parents and their children have shown is that the children of gay couples --
whether or not the kids turn out gay -- tend to be more accepting and
open-minded towards others, as opposed to the sadly prejudiced and bigoted
adult children so many heterosexuals couples spawn.  With those kind of
results, maybe we should re-assess our national obsession with 'shielding'
children from gay people, and actually encourage them to meet gay and lesbian
adult role models.  Maybe the good learned from that would rub off on all of
us."

Despite its assimilationist inflection, "Friends" has encouraged unique (and
often singular) encounters, introducing queer "media models" to a legion of
TV viewers.  According to Nielsen Media Research, nearly 31.6 million guests
"attended" the lesbian wedding on "Friends."  Perhaps something good will rub
off, indeed. 

****  ACTIONS/OPTIONS!    Remind these broadcasters that they are licensed to
serve the "public interest" -- NOT phobic interests.  Contact:  Bruce
Operman, General Manager, WLIO-TV, P.O. Box 1689, Lima, OH 45802-1689, tel.
419-228-8835;  Ron Kelly, Vice President and General Manager, KJAC, P.O. Box
3257, Port Arthur, TX 77463, tel. 409-985-5557, fax 409-985-4927;  Lew
Freifeld, General Manager, WESH-Channel 2, 1021 N. Wymore Rd., Winter Park,
FL 32789.  The force of a complaint can be increased by copying your
correspondence to the appropriate local newspapers; contact:  "The Lima
News," 121 E. High Street, Lima, OH 45802, fax 419-229-2926;  "Port Arthur
News, Box 789, Port Arthur, TX 77641, fax 409-982-4903;  "Orlando Sentinel,"
633 N. Orange Avenue, Orlando, FL 32801, fax 407-420-5286.
                Criticism for these stations (or support for the series) can
also be directed to network representatives.  Contact:  Paul McGuire,
Executive Vice President of Prime-Time Programs, and Warren Littlefield,
President, NBC Entertainment, 3000 West Alameda Avenue, Burbank, CA 91523,
tel. 818-840-4444, e-mail [email-masked], [email-masked] or
[email-masked];  William Bolster, President and General Manager, WNBC-TV,
30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10112, tel. 212-664-4444, fax
212-664-7234.
                Additional contacts:  Lee Melton, Sales Manager, KTFA, Box
820, 2000 Roundbunch, Bridge City, TX 77611, tel. 409-735-7174;  Mubarak
Dahir, "Philadelphia Daily News," 400 N. Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
19101;  Frank York, Editor, "Family Issues Alert," Focus on the Family,
Colorado Springs, CO 80995, tel. 800-A-FAMILY;  David W. Dunlap, "The New
York Times," 229 W. 43d Street, New York, NY 10036, tel. 212-556-1234;  The
Honorable Newt Gingrich, Speaker, United States House of Representatives,
Washington, DC 20515, tel. 202-225-3121, e-mail [email-masked], URL
http://www.house.gov;  Kevin Bright, Marta Kauffman and David Crane,
Producers, "Friends," Bright/Kauffman/Crane Productions, 300 South Television
Plaza, Burbank, CA 91505.

****************************************************

A B O U T   G L A A D . . .

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION  challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . .   shaping the forces that shape our society.  

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is an
independently-incorporated, nonprofit organization, which is volunteer-based
and member-supported.  Dedicated to cultural advocacy and media activism,
GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse representation of lesbian,
gay, bisexual and transgender lives.  GLAAD/SFBA is the largest and oldest
GLAAD chapter in the nation.

To notify GLAAD/SFBA of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request membership or other information, call the 24-hour "MediAlert Hotline"
(415-861-4588) or write to:  Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 1360
Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-861-2244, fax
415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://ccnet.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

****************************************************

A B O U T   M E D I A L E R T S. . .

"MediAlert" and "MediAlert BRIEFS" are weekly, action-oriented columns that
may be printed, published or posted, under these or any titles, in whole or
part, without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution should be made
to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San Francisco."  GLAAD/SFBA greatly
appreciates file copies of any publications that make use of these weekly
reports.  

****************************************************

A B O U T   M E M B E R S H I P  .  .  .   

GLAAD's work is directly supported by our members.  For general information
about membership, "Project 21" (GLAAD's educational equity/textbook reform
coalition), the Phone Tree Network, or volunteer opportunities, contact:
 Kristy Billuni, Managing Director, GLAAD, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200,
San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-861-3021, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail
[email-masked].

****************************************************

ERRATA:  In "Subtracting the Ads" (GLAAD MediAlert, Jan. 8-14), the editor of
the "Texas Triangle," Kay Longcope, was incorrectly identified as "Kelly
Longscope." 

"MediAlert" [TM]  and "Project 21" [TM] are trademarks of the Gay & Lesbian
Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.  GLAAD/SFBA is a
nonprofit [501(c)(3)] organization.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 03:13:51 -0500
Subject: MediAlert BRIEFS, Jan.29-Feb.4

_________________________________________________________
INDEX:  "MediAlert BRIEFS, Jan. 29-Feb.4"

1.  "Bad Times"  (Quality Partners, Inc., Contra Costa Times).
2.  "Media Milestone" (Trikone Magazine).
3.  "Courting Censorship" (Supreme Court, FCC, USA Today, American Family
Association, HB2267, Voters Telecommunications Watch, BillWatch). 
4.  "Expanded Coverage" (Knight-Ridder, Charlotte Observer, Tony Brown, Mel
Tomlinson, BLK, Blacklines).
5.  "Media Cites" (The Mirror, GenderDoc). 
6.  "Web Watch" (Oasis).
7.  "Another World" (Planet Central TV).
8.  "Policy Matters" (Telecommunications Policy Research Conference).
9.  "20/20 Hindsight" (ABC, 20/20, John Stossel, The Transexual Menace).
10.  "E-Media" (GayPoz). 
11.  "No Sale" (Ditto Headquarters, Rush Limbaugh)
12.  "Hate Strikes" (Cristina, Univision) 
13  "Global Lesbianism" (Globe, Vanna White, Ellen DeGeneres, The Sewing
Circle - Hollywood's Greatest Secret: Female Stars Who Loved Other Women).
14.  "Sound & (Un)Sound Bites" (David W. Dunlap; Whitney Houston).
15.  General Information (about GLAAD; about MediAlerts; about membership)

Note: "GLAAD MediAlert, Jan.29-Feb.4" is posted separately. 
_________________________________________________________

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

     M  e  d  i  A  l  e  r  t   

          B  r  i  e  f  s

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

for the week of 
January 29 - February 4, 1996 

Al Kielwasser 
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 
San Francisco Bay Area 

*  BAD TIMES . . .   The "Contra Costa Times" has rejected an advertisement
for a gay/lesbian matchmaking service BECAUSE the ad used the words "gay" and
"lesbian."  The simple ad contained no pictures or graphics.  The text
stated:  "Single?  Quality Partners -- Personal Introductions for Lesbians
and gay Men."

According to Maura Rothman, president of Quality Partners, Inc., the "Times"
suggested that she should use the words "alternative lifestyles" to describe
her clientele.  "I just can't believe it," said Rothman, "These 'standards'
just seem so unfair."

Contact:  John Armstrong, Executive Managing Editor, "Contra Costa Times,"
2640 Shadelands Drive, Walnut Creek, CA 94598, tel. 510-935-2525, fax
510-933-0239; copy your correspondence to Maura Rothman, Quality Partners,
P.O. Box 234, Orinda, CA 94563-0234, tel. 510-253-4848.

*  MEDIA MILESTONE . . .   With a focus on lesbian and gay South Asians,
"Trikone Magazine" celebrates a decade of publishing.  Articles in a special
tenth anniversary issue (January 1996) survey the magazine's history ("The
First Editorial"), south asian queers in cyberspace ("Desi Pride On The
Internet"), and media images ("Cracks In The Tinsel Closet: Gender-Bending In
Bombay Films" and "Same-Sex Sexuality in Malayalam Cinema and Literature").
 Contact:  "Trikone Magazine," P.O. Box 21354, San Jose, CA 95151-1354, tel.
408-270-8776, fax 408-274-2733, e-mail [email-masked], URL
http://www.rahul.net/trikone/.  

*  COURTING CENSORSHIP . . .   The Supreme Court has declined to review
government regulations intended to "protect" children from "indecent"
broadcasts.  Currently, Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules limit
certain "adult" content to broadcasts between 10:00 PM and 6:00 AM.

The Court's decision was made despite widespread opposition to the FCC rules.
 "These regulations are trying to offer the services of the federal
government as a national babysitter," said R. B. Quinn of the Freedom Forum
First Amendment Center.  

The nation's largest newspaper, "USA Today" (circulation 6 million), also
editorialized against the decision.  In a January 11 editorial ("When
Government Acts As Censor, Freedoms Crumble"), the newspaper noted that the
Supreme Court has left "advocates of censorship a fresh opening to practice
their mischief."  "If the Federal Communications Commission is now pushed
into becoming the national decency police, what next?," the paper asked.
 "The power to censor repeatedly creates its own excess."

"USA Today" also published an "opposing view" by Donald Wildmon, president of
the American Family Association.  What others deem a "loss of freedom,"
Wildmon said, is actually "insurance for civility."  He argued:  "Some
people, including the editorial board of this paper, are upset that the
Supreme Court set restrictions on what can be broadcast during certain hours
of the day . . . .  They say it is the parents' responsibility to protect
their children.  I say it's a shared responsibility.  They say the decision
hurts society.  I say it helps."

Beyond his inaccurate claim that the Supreme Court (rather than the FCC) "set
restrictions," Wildmon's argument could not be more hypocritical.  He, like
other Right Wing censors, is a "parents' rights" absolutist when it comes to
homosexuality.  Wildmon has frequently argued, for example, that textbooks
should NOT include fair and accurate references to homosexuality, since it is
a parent's absolute right to teach or not to teach such things. 

The "protection of children" theme is ubiquitous, and has already become
central in emerging efforts to regulate new media.  The Washington
legislature, for example, has considered several bills intended to censor and
criminalize "materials harmful to minors," including HB2267, "An Act Relating
to the Well-Being of Children" (which proscribes a broad range of
"materials," from "the depiction of covered male genitals in a discernibly
turgid state" [Sec.1.,(4)], to modest HIV and sex-education curricula). 

Speaking at a New York panel on "Internet Regulation" (Jan. 21), Shabbir
Safdar, of Voters Telecommunications Watch (VTW), pointed to a key threat
that adheres in many regulatory efforts.  He said:  "Look at what they're
proposing and try to discern, are they really interested in keeping children
away from this material, or are they interested in keeping you from
expressing it?  The First Amendment protects your right to express yourself.
 It does not protect a parent's right to reshape the world into their own
version of Romper Room."  

Contact:  "USA Today," 1000 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, VA 22229, tel.
703-276-3400, fax 703-247-3108, e-mail [email-masked];  Donald Wildmon,
President, American Family Association, P.O. Drawer 2440, Tupelo, MS 38803,
tel. 601-844-5036, fax 601-844-9176, e-mail [email-masked];  Freedom
Forum First Amendment Center, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37235;
 Shabbir J. Safdar, Advisory Board Member, Voters Telecommunications Watch,
tel. 718-596-2851, e-mail [email-masked].
                VTW publishes "BillWatch," a weekly newsletter tracking
federal legislation that affects civil liberties.  "BillWatch" is available
by e-mail, Internet fax, gopher or WWW.  To subscribe by e-mail, send mail to
[email-masked] with "subscribe vtw-announce emailaddress" in the body of
the message.  To subscribe by fax, leave a message at tel. 718-596-2851 with
your voice number and your fax number.  "BillWatch" can be found on the World
Wide Web (http://www.vtw.org/billwatch/) and in Gopherspace (gopher
 -p1/vtw/billwatch/  gopher.panix.com).

*  EXPANDED COVERAGE . . .   In an article announcing the premiere of
"Blacklines" magazine ("New Lesbian, Gay Magazine Targets Blacks," Jan. 23),
"Chicago Tribune" staff writer Terry Wilson aptly notes:  "African-American
gays and lesbians say they often feel like invisible members of the gay
community as far as news coverage is concerned."  A column from the
Knight-Ridder/Tribune Business News syndicate offers a welcome exception to
this unwelcome rule.  

In "Former NYC Ballet Soloist On Being Black, Gay and Having AIDS" (Jan. 12),
the "Charlotte Observer's" Tony Brown writes an eloquent and expansive
profile of dancer Mel Tomlinson.  The column begins by observing that "Mel
Tomlinson's body vibrates its poetry . . . muscles rippling under a dark
bronze sheath of skin, that impossible long neck supporting a proud and noble
visage," and Brown maintains this tone of respect and pride throughout.  

In this profile, Tomlinson -- "loud and proud" -- examines the "three great
challenges" of his life:  "being poor and black . . . .  being a homosexual .
. . .  having AIDS."  Tomlinson is refreshingly unapologetic about sex
("Abstinence? Forget it," he says).  He concludes:  "I have a right to die
with dignity.  And I have a right to live with dignity."

Contact:  Tony Brown, "Charlotte Observer," P.O. Box 2138, Charlotte, NC
28233, fax 704-358-5022;  Terry Wilson, "Chicago Tribune,"  435 N. Michigan
Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611.  
                Encourage newspapers to expand their queer coverage beyond
the "gay white male" syndrome; numerous ideas for stories to pitch can be
found in the excellent BLK calendar of events "of specific interest to the
black lesbian and gay community," available at BLK Publishing's  website
(http://www.blk.com/blk).
                Additional contacts:  "Blacklines," a new monthly magazine,
is published by Tracy Baim, Lambda Publications, Chicago.

*  MEDIA CITES . . .   "The Mirror" is a quarterly media bulletin published
by GenderDoc, the Russian information center and library.  "The Mirror's"
third issue was recently published, and it provides a selective index of
news, film and book coverage of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender
subjects.  An English-language translation of "The Mirror" is available.  For
more information, e-mail [email-masked], or write to:  125047 Russian
Federation, Moscow, P.O. Box 9, Library.     

*  WEB WATCH . . .   "Because it's a desert out there . . ."  That's one of
the motivating slogans energizing "Oasis," a monthly online magazine for
queer and questioning youth and "the only regularly-updated zine for queer
youth on the net."  Just into its third issue, "Oasis" is already a singular
source for news and analysis; previous issues have featured columns on queer
music and  the queercore movement, profiles of queer teen life and lives, and
interviews with Harvey Fierstein and Pansy Division.  "Oasis" webzine is
located at:  http://www.outproud.org/oasis/.

*  ANOTHER WORLD . . .   Launched in May of last year, "Planet Central TV" is
a cable network venture, available nationwide, that features a unique range
of progressive news and announcements -- "relevant information not covered by
the media on a daily, weekly or monthly basis."  Contact:  Gregory Sotir,
e-mail [email-masked] (or [email-masked]),  URL http://www.pctvi.com.

*  POLICY MATTERS . . .  Organizers of the 24th Annual Telecommunications
Policy Research Conference are soliciting research papers and panel
proposals.  Empirical or theoretical areas of interest include, but are not
limited to:  online legal and social issues, governance of the virtual
society, alternative regulatory regimes, and media ownership & diversity
issues.  Submission deadline:  March 29, 1996.  For more information:  TPRC,
Conference Coordinator, P.O. Box 19203, Washington, DC 20036, tel.
202-452-9033, e-mail [email-masked].

*  20/20 HINDSIGHT . . .   The ABC news series "20/20" (Jan. 19) aired a
groundbreaking segment on transgender issues, which activists describe as
"basically favorable and decent journalism."  "We thought ABC's coverage was
fundamentally positive and solid," said Riki Anne Wilchins, of the New York
City chapter of The Transexual Menace.  "Instead of the usual -- transpersons
 in a studio justifying themselves before non-transexual questioners --
'20/20' showed us outside, organized, active and highly visible."  

However, The Transexual Menace was not pleased with segment host John
Stossel's questioning of Janet Aiello, a "decorated 24-year-veteran police
officer."  Stossel's contribution was deemed "offensive and unconscionable."

Contact:  ABC News, 47 W. 66th Street, New York, NY 10023, tel. 456-7777,
e-mail [email-masked].  America Online users can also post feedback
directly to the "ABC Online" section of AOL (keyword:  ABC).

*  E-MEDIA . . .   An internet discussion list  -- "GayPoz" -- facilitates
the exchange of information and support for gay men who are HIV-positive.
 Send requests for subscription information and other queries to:  Steve
Bowen (e-mail [email-masked]) or Robert Tosh (e-mail [email-masked]).

*  NO SALE . . .   Rush Limbaugh -- the arch-bigot of broadcasting --
provides the theme for a Texas mall shop, "Ditto Headquarters."  The store
features "a variety of Limbaugh memorabilia."  To remind the mall's
management that hate profiteering is bad business, contact:  River Center
Mall, 849 E. Commerce, San Antonio, TX 78205, Attn:  Management, tel.
210-225-0000. 

*  HATE STRIKES . . .   About 1,500 protesters recently gathered in a
demonstration against love.  More precisely, the crowd rallied against the
popular Spanish-language talk show "Cristina," to picket an episode that
featured a marriage ceremony for two couples, one lesbian and the other gay.
 The episode aired January 4 and the protest took place on January 13, at the
Florida offices of the Univision television network.  Univision is major
distributor of Spanish-language television programming in the United States
and throughout the world.

"The Miami Herald" (Jan. 15) reports that the protest was organized by the
"Rev." Oscar Aguero, of the Jesucristo Todopoderoso ("All Powerful Jesus
Christ") church.  "We don't want them to promote immorality, perversion,
[and] filth rather than orienting people to Judeo-Christian values," Aguero
said.

The talk show's host, Cristina Saralegui, defends the marriage broadcast.
 "With all the problems that all of us are having nowadays, what can be wrong
with two people declaring their love for each other?," Saralegui said.  

"The Hispanic audience is very understanding of social problems and alternate
lifestyles," Saralegui added.  "Even though we are more conservative than
Anglos doesn't mean we're troglodytes from the Stone Age.  I thought my
audience was ready for doing a show on gay weddings."  According to the
"Miami Herald" (Jan. 21), the "Cristina" show is seen "by about six million
U.S. viewers and tens of millions more in other countries."

Contact:  To counter the demonstration of hate, send feedback to Univision
Headquarters , 605 Third Avenue, 12th Floor, New York, NY 10158-0180, tel.
212-455-5200, fax 212-867-6710.  Copy your correspondence to Univision Sales
Office, 9405 N.W. 41st Street, Miami, FL 33178, tel. 305-471-3900, fax
305-471-4027;  Letters to the Editor, "The Miami Herald," 1 Herald Plaza,
Miami, FL 33132, fax 305-376-8950, e-mail [email-masked].

*  GLOBAL LESBIANISM . . .   As popular as they are disparaged, the impact of
tabloid newspapers is not easily dismissed.  A recent (Jan. 23) issue of one
popular tabloid -- the "Globe" -- includes several articles with lesbian
themes.  A cover story -- "My Night of Love in Vanna's Arms" -- recounts the
"lesbian romp" between Vanna White and a "gay bombshell."

The "world exclusive" on Vanna White is actually an excerpt from Liza Greer's
new book, "You'll Never Make Love in This Town Again" (Dove Books, Inc.).
 The reprinted text is actually less-sensational than the "Globe's" juvenile
headlines.  

True or not, Greer's account is an affirmative, unapologetic feature.  "As
soon as our heads hit the pillows, Vanna started kissing me.  She was
exquisite," Greer writes.  "We kissed each other in a way that only women
know how.  Every inch of her tasted like heaven."

Also in this issue, the "Globe's" gossip column -- "Hollywood's Hottest
Secrets" -- leads off with a sighting of Ellen DeGeneres, as she planted a
"luscious lip-lock on a sexy short-haired brunette on ladies-only Lipstick
Night" at a New York bar.  An anonymous "eyewitness" dishes up the details:
 "Before long, they were holding hands and talking nose-to-nose.  Then they
were all over each other, and Ellen was giving Stephanie long, deep kisses
and running her hands over her arms and shoulders.  It was hot!"  

Significantly, there isn't a hint of horror or disgust in this "gossip"
report, and the piece was no more sensational than the column's other items,
which concerned heterosexual celebrities.  If accurate, in fact, the
"Globe's" report has accomplished what Ellen DeGeneres herself refuses to do
 -- to speak of lesbian love with personal pride, in a tone of honest
affirmation.

To obtain "Hollywood's Hottest Secrets," the "Globe" solicits readers:  "If .
. . you have access to accurate celebrity gossip, you can boost your income
by giving us a call at (310) 207-7800 . . .  E-mail [email-masked]."
 The newspaper does not mention how it determines the "accuracy" of the
gossip it buys, and profit is certainly an effective inducement to lying.
 However, the "Globe's" item on DeGeneres is consistent with similar reports
in "New York Magazine" and the "New York Daily News" (though the "Daily News"
reported that DeGeneres was seen "soul-kissing and pawing" a "short-haired
fan," but the newspaper somehow "forgot" to mention that the fan was a
woman).  

Finally, the "Globe" also includes a brief article drawn from Axel Madsen's
book, "The Sewing Circle:  Hollywood's Greatest Secret -- Female Stars Who
Loved Other Women."  With this puff piece, the "Globe" falls back on
homophobic hyperbole, particularly in the headline:  "I Want To Be Alone --
With Gals!  Hollywood Legends' Lesbian Loves Bared In Sizzling New Book."
 Despite references to Madsen's book as "shocking" and a "blockbuster
expose," however, the "Globe" still manages to convey a few of the author's
more worthwhile points.

Each of these "Globe" articles exhibits an unfortunate tabloid bias, framing
(and comprehending) homosexuality exclusively as a "shocking revelation" or
"secret revealed."  However, each also manages to transcend the malicious
homophobia that has been commonly associated with "supermarket journalism."

Contact:  Dan Dolan, Editor, "Globe," 5401 N.W. Broken Sound Blvd., Boca
Raton, FL 33487; to recommend a story, call the "Globe" at 310-207-7800 (Los
Angeles) or 407-997-7733 (Boca Raton).  Axel Madsen's book, "The Sewing
Circle," was published last year by Carol Publishing Group, 600 Madison
Avenue, New York, NY 10022, tel. 212-486-2200, fax 212-418-4077.

*  SOUND BITE . . .   "As the minister, Ms. Gingrich declared that 'nothing
makes God happier than when two people -- ANY two people -- come together in
love.'  But she was not heard to say, 'You may kiss the bride.'  To either
one."
                - -  David W. Dunlap, commenting on the "Friends" lesbian
wedding episode, in "The New York Times" (January 20, 1996)

*  (UN)SOUND BITE . . .   "Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God . . .  I am not a
lesbian.  I wish they'd stop SAYING it.  I have a daughter, for God's sake.
 What do they mean by this?  They write this sh-- and one day I'm gonna have
to talk to my daughter . . . .  Please, I'm so pissed off right now.  Excuse
me."
                - -  Whitney Houston, protesting too much, in "Entertainment
Weekly" (December 22, 1995).  Earlier in the week, "People" (Dec. 18) had
reported that Houston denied she and a roommate "were, to use [Houston's]
word, 'lesbos.'"

****************************************************

A B O U T   G L A A D . . .

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION  challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . .   shaping the forces that shape our society.

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is an
independently-incorporated, nonprofit organization, which is volunteer-based
and member-supported.  Dedicated to cultural advocacy and media activism,
GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse representation of lesbian,
gay, bisexual and transgender lives.  GLAAD/SFBA is the largest and oldest
GLAAD chapter in the nation.

To notify GLAAD/SFBA of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request membership or other information, call the 24-hour "MediAlert Hotline"
(415-861-4588) or write to:  Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 1360
Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-861-2244, fax
415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://ccnet.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

To assist on-going monitoring and response efforts, GLAAD appreciates copies
of correspondence individuals send to, or receive from, the media or other
relevant contacts.

****************************************************

A B O U T    M E D I A L E R T    &    M e d i A l e r t  B R I E F S   

"MediAlert" and "MediAlert BRIEFS" are weekly, action-oriented columns that
may be printed, published or posted, under these or any titles, in whole or
part, without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution should be made
to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San Francisco."  GLAAD/SFBA greatly
appreciates file copies of any publications that make use of these weekly
reports.  

****************************************************

A B O U T   M E M B E R S H I P  .  .  .   

GLAAD's work is directly supported by our members.  Please consider joining
with us.  All memberships include a subscription to the monthly newsletter,
"GLAAD Update."  

For general information about GLAAD membership, Project 21 (GLAAD's
educational equity/textbook reform coalition), the GLAAD Phone Tree Network,
or GLAAD volunteer opportunities, contact:  Kristy Billuni, Managing
Director, GLAAD, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103,
tel. 415-861-3021, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked].

****************************************************

"MediAlert" [TM] and "Project21" [TM] are trademarks of the Gay & Lesbian
Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.  GLAAD/SFBA is a
nonprofit [501(c)(3)] organization; all contributions are tax-deductible to
the fullest extent allowed by law.