Subject: GLAAD MediAlert, Jan.15-21
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 00:03:45 -0500

_________________________________________________________
INDEX
1.  "New Jeer Resolution" (TV Guide, Roseanne, ABC)
2.  "Friends and Foes" (Friends, NBC, Procter & Gamble, The Coca-Cola
Company, Associated Press)
3.  "TV Censor" (Jenny Jones, American Family Association, KHSL-TV, CBS)
4.  "Critical Mess" (Joanne Jacobs, San Jose Mercury News, Sex and the Mass
Media) 
6.  General Information (about GLAAD; about MediAlert; about Membership)
_________________________________________________________

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

     M  e  d  i  A  l  e  r  t   

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

for the week of 
January 15 - 21, 1996 

by
Al Kielwasser 
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 
San Francisco Bay Area 

N E W   J E E R   R E S O L U T I O N   

TV Guide is the nation's largest weekly magazine, with a circulation of 14
million.  In the December 30 issue, the "Cheers & Jeers" column in the
ubiquitous magazine gave a well-deserved jeer to the ABC Television Network,
for being unduly "nervous about the 'adult humor' in an episode of 'Roseanne'
that featured a same-sex wedding" [see "Jeer Leader," GLAAD MediAlert, Dec.
25-31, 1995].  Just two weeks later, however, "TV Guide" has completely --
and inexplicably -- backtracked.

In the January 13 issue, "TV Guide" jeers ITSELF  --  for having criticized
ABC and "trying to play programmers."  The "Cheers & Jeers" column
apologetically explains:  "ABC, it turns out, was absolutely right to
reschedule the 'Roseanne' gay wedding episode to 9:30 PM (rather than 8:00).
 Not because it was scandalous in any way:  The star-studded,
stereotype-crashing half hour was the sitcom's best episode of the season.
 Nah, the later slot simply meant that more people would catch the hilarity."

Incredibly, "TV Guide" now expects readers to believe that ABC's last-minute,
heterosexist decision to reschedule "Roseanne's" gay wedding episode, despite
national protests by the series' star and creator, was -- after all  -- a
well-planed, affirmative effort by the network to promote gay visibility.

While "Roseanne's" gay wedding episode did earn the series its highest rating
since the season premiere, "TV Guide's" revisionist history assigns a benign
motive where none existed.  No one at ABC ever hinted -- before OR after the
broadcast -- that the network delayed the episode's airtime because it was
one of "Roseanne's" best.  The network never suggested that the episode was
rescheduled to ensure a LARGER audience.  Quite the contrary. 

In fact, ABC specifically rescheduled the gay wedding episode to ensure a
SMALLER audience -- of children.  "We felt the adult humor within the show
was more appropriate at a later time period when there are fewer children in
the audience," said ABC spokesperson Janice Gretenmeyer.

The gross conflation of "adult" and "homosexual" content reflects a
pernicious media tendency to define homosexuality in the most restrictive
terms.  Why "TV Guide" could see through ABC's heterosexist bias two weeks
ago, but is blind to it now, remains something of a mystery.

One thing is still certain, though.  The vicious desire to "protect" children
from homosexuality (rather than homophobia) is no cause for cheer.  In
defending ABC's decision as "absolutely right," "TV Guide" -- "it turns out"
-- is ABSOLUTELY WRONG.          

****   ACTION/OPTIONS!  Direct critical feedback to Steven Raddcliffe,
Editor-in-Chief, "TV Guide," Radnor, PA 19088 (correspondence intended for
publication should also be sent to the magazine's "Letters Department," at
the same address).  Copy your correspondence to Ted Harbert, President, ABC
Entertainment, 2040 Avenue of the Stars, Los Angeles, CA 90067, tel.
310-557-7777, e-mail [email-masked].

F R I E N D S   A N D   F O E S

Well before broadcast, the foes of queer visibility launched their attack on
an episode of "Friends" -- "The One with the Lesbian Wedding."  The January
18 episode (actually titled "The One with the lesbian Wedding") features the
marriage of "Carol" and "Susan" --  lesbian characters who have played a
recurring role on the series.  

Several fundamentalist groups have mounted campaigns against companies that
advertise during "Friends."  Procter & Gamble has been specifically targeted.

Procter & Gamble has often purchased airtime during programs condemned for
"promoting homosexuality," including numerous episodes of "Friends."
 However, the company's support should not be taken for granted.  Recently,
in response to the current debate over "trash" talk shows, Procter & Gamble
discontinued advertising on four programs.  

The company's senior vice president, Robert Wehling, insists Procter & Gamble
is "a  responsible advertiser," seeking to sponsor TV programs that "are
informative and handle controversial topics responsibly."  "Because
programming varies widely," Wehling said, "Procter & Gamble spends hundreds
of thousands of dollars annually to review program content before making
marketing decisions.  We regularly decline advertising opportunities based on
content.  We review closely all the programming we sponsor and pull our
advertising when content is inconsistent with our guidelines." 

David Crane, co-executive producer of "Friends" (and a gay man), has
downplayed the controversy.  The wedding plot, he explained, was not
conceived "just to push America's buttons."  "I'm trying to make a point,"
Crane said:  "That gay people have lives, like everybody else.  That weddings
are a part of those lives.  That it's not a gigantic issue.  In fact, I would
even say it's the biggest issue in this episode."

Whether Crane is being modest or naive in his dismissal is not clear.
 Too-often, writers and producers defend a lesbian or gay TV character on the
grounds that "no offense was intended," as if there was a reasonable
distinction between "provoked" and "unprovoked" homophobia.  Homophobes are
responsible for pushing their own buttons, however.  

In a homophobic society, homosexuality is inevitably "a gigantic issue." But
its does not follow that, in a non-homophobic society, homosexuality would --
or should -- be a "non-issue."  In the representation of minority groups,
television tends to overvalue similarity (by imitation of the "majority," or
status quo) at the expense of diversity.  To claim that gay people are "just
like everybody else" is not particularly liberating when "everybody else"
means "everybody heterosexual."

Despite Crane's noble intentions, even on "Friends," lesbian lovers do not
quite "have lives, just quite like everybody else."  Lynn Elber, television
writer for the Associated Press, reports that "Carol" and "Susan" do not
share the a nuptial kiss or other visible signs of affection commonly
depicted between heterosexual couples ("TV Makes Room For Gay Characters, But
Not Sexually," Jan. 14).  That pattern characterizes the entire crop of
Hollywood homosexuals, Elber says.  "Television has discovered safe sex:  Gay
and lesbian characters are just dandy as long as you leave out the passion
and substitute punchlines instead."  

Still, the overall effect of "Friends" is undeniably more liberating than
not.  The hit series is watched by more than 20 to 30 MILLION viewers each
week, and "Carol" and "Susan" -- together with their baby boy "Ben" -- have
been described as "one of the most visible non-traditional families in
television history."  In a recent interview, Jessica Hect (who plays "Susan")
recalls an encounter with one of those viewers, "a young girl whose parents
are two moms.  And the little girl said, 'Hey, I saw someone like me on TV.'
 And it was Ben, you know.  It was great."

***   ACTIONS/OPTIONS!  Counter the homophobic hate mail with "Friendly"
feedback.  Contact:  Warren Littlefield, President, NBC, 3000 West Alameda
Avenue, Burbank, CA 91523, tel. 818-840-4444, e-mail [email-masked], URL
http://www.nbc.com/mail.html;  Edwin L. Artzt, Chairperson, Procter & Gamble,
P.O. Box 599, Cincinnati, OH 45201, tel. 513-983-1100l, fax 513-562-4500
(mention any use you make of Procter & Gamble products, which include Tide,
Aleve pain reliever, Spic and Span, and Pringle's).  
                The Coca-Cola Company ("diet Coke") is another high-profile
sponsor of "Friends;" contact Roberto C. Goizueta, Chairperson, The Coca-Cola
Company, P.O. Drawer 1734, Atlanta, GA 30301, tel. 404-676-2121 or
800-438-2653, fax 404-676-4903.
                Comments for or about the creators and content of "Friends"
can be sent to the attention of the series, in care of Phil Gonzoles,
Publicity, 300 Television Plaza, Bldg. 136, Room 251, Burbank, CA 91505, tel.
818-954-7665, fax 818-954-2721.
                Additional contacts:  Associated Press, 50 Rockefeller Plaza,
New York, NY 10020, tel. 212-621-1500.

T V   C E N S O R    

The American Family Association (AFA) is a well-funded, national organization
dedicated to PROMOTING homophobia in the media.  In the latest (Jan. 1996)
issue of the organization's monthly membership magazine, the AFA praises Dino
Corbin -- the transphobic manager of a CBS television affiliate -- for
dropping the "Jenny Jones" talk show.  The AFA reports that Corbin, of
KHSL-TV/Channel 12 in Chico, "called it quits with 'Jenny Jones' after one
show set up transvestites in an impromptu dating game format."  

"I didn't want to have to be worried that kids were watching our station at
three in the afternoon," Corbin said.  "This station and this community have
certain values, and the topics on the program got to the point where they
were unacceptable."  

KHSL has not aired the "Jenny Jones" show since November.  According to the
AFA, Corbin "has been overwhelmed at the positive response from people all
over the country."  

****   ACTION/OPTIONS!  Obviously, Corbin hasn't heard from QUEER people all
over the country.  Overwhelmingly negative responses should be sent to Dino
Corbin, General Manager, KHSL-TV/Channel 12, Box 489, Chico, CA 95927, tel.
916-342-0141.  Copy your comments to the Office of the President, CBS
Broadcast Group, CBS Inc., 51 W. 52nd Street, New York, NY 10019, tel.
212-975-4321, fax 212-975-1519 or 212-975-7452, e-mail [email-masked] or
[email-masked], URL http://www.cbs.com/.

C R I T I C A L   M E S S   

In a commentary titled "Taking the Sleaze out of Hollywood" ("San Jose
Mercury News," Jan. 1), Joanne Jacobs  -- a member of the "Mercury News"
editorial board -- argues that, "when it comes to sexuality, the media is
eliminating all boundaries of propriety and privacy."  Jacob's misuse of the
plural word "media" is indicative of the overall quality of her skills as a
media critic.

While not specifically attacking homosexuality, Jacobs fails to distinguish
the varieties of sexual "sleaze" on television.  She quotes (and
misunderstands) recent research on the role television plays in "normalizing"
such "taboo topics" as "incest, child molestation, homosexuality, (and)
marital infidelity."

Jacobs specifically cites a research summary, "Sex and the Mass Media," by
Jane Brown and Jeanne Steele of the University of North Carolina.  The
study's analysis does not provide any causal evidence of cultural decay, as
Jacobs seems to suggest.  Nor was the study intended, necessarily, to support
calls for less (rather than better, or even more) sex on TV.  In fact, Brown
has used her (admittedly heterosexist) research to argue that television
should feature advertisements promoting the use of condoms and other
contraceptives amongst sexually-active adolescents.

More troubling than Jacobs' oversimplified reading of research, is her
proposed "solution" to TV "sleaze."  Though she begins her commentary with a
reasonable argument -- that it is too easy "to blame Hollywood for corrupting
our children" -- Jacobs concludes:  "If we don't like sleaze, we don't have
to watch it.  If we do watch it, we signal our acquiescence."

The "if you don't like it, you can turn it off" argument is certainly valid,
to an extent.  However, such advice frequently confuses matters of taste with
matters of bigotry.  Sexual orientation is NOT something to be "liked" or
"disliked."  Hating lesbians is not the same as hating yogurt. 

Of course, homophobes who object to "Friends," "All My Children," and similar
TV programs CAN "just turn it off" -- and that's certainly preferable to
"keeping it off," or attempting to censor rather than self-censor.  But the
ability to "turn it off" must not be mistaken for the "right to an opinion." 

Homophobes do not, in fact, have a "right to their opinion," because
homophobia is not "a matter of opinion" in the first place.  Men who beat
their wives might object to television programs and PSAs that denounce
domestic violence.  But no one would advise such men to turn off their
television sets, and leave it at that.

In response to the "problems" of sexuality, Jacobs proposes that "Americans
can choose to accept the previously deviant as normal.  Or we can turn the
page, switch the channel."  Of course, Americans can also choose to
UNDERSTAND what they previously could not "accept."  The solution, at times,
is not to turn the page, but to spend some time reading it.

***   ACTION/OPTIONS!  Comments on her commentary can be sent to Joanne
Jacobs, "San Jose Mercury News," 750 Ridder Park Drive, San Jose, CA 95190,
fax 408-271-3792, URL http://www.sjmercury.com (online feedback can also be
posted to Jacobs in her Mercury Center message folder); copy your
correspondence to the newspaper's executive editor (Robert Ingle) and editor
of the "Commentary" page (Jim Braly), at the same address.  
                Additional contacts:  Jane D. Brown, Professor of Journalism,
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 204B Howell Hall CB #3365, Chapel
Hill, NC 27599-3365. 

****************************************************

A B O U T   G L A A D . . .

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION  challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . .   shaping the forces that shape our society.

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is an
independently incorporated, non-profit, volunteer-based membership
organization.  Dedicated to cultural advocacy and media activism, GLAAD/SFBA
promotes the fair, accurate and diverse representation of lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgender lives.  GLAAD/SFBA is the largest and oldest GLAAD
chapter in the nation.

To notify GLAAD of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request membership or other information, call the 24-hour "MediAlert Hotline"
 (415-861-4588) or write to the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-861-2244,
fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

To assist on-going monitoring and response efforts, GLAAD/SFBA appreciates
copies of any correspondence individuals send to, or receive from, the media.

****************************************************

A B O U T   M E D I A L E R T . . .

"MediAlert" is a weekly, action-oriented column that may be printed,
published or posted, under this or any title, in whole or part, without prior
permission.  When appropriate, attribution should be made to "Al Kielwasser"
and/or "GLAAD San Francisco."  "MediAlerts" are available upon request, by
mail, e-mail or fax.  GLAAD/SFBA greatly appreciates copies of any
publications that make use of these weekly reports.  

****************************************************

A B O U T   M E M B E R S H I P  .  .  .   

GLAAD's work is directly supported by our members.  Please consider joining
with us in one of the following membership categories.  All memberships
include a subscription to the monthly newsletter, "GLAAD Update."  

----------------------------------------------------------

Indicate your choice below and mail check or credit card information to:
 GLAAD/SFBA, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, Attn:
 Membership.  Forms sent by e-mail should be directed to Kristy Billuni,
Managing Director ([email-masked]).

(  )  $ 5  Youth Membership (18 and under)
(  )  $ 35  Basic Membership
(  )  $50  Household Membership
(  )  $100  Institutional Membership (community
organizations/media/businesses)
(  )  $250  GLAAD Guardian (includes complimentary limited-edition Project 21
 lesbian/gay/bisexual history poster)

(  )  A check is enclosed.
(  )  Please bill my
VISA # ____________________________
MASTERCARD#_____________________
EXP.  DATE:_________________________

NAME:_________________________________________________
ADDRESS:______________________________________________
CITY:__________________________________________________
STATE:______________________    ZIP:______________________
PHONE (Optional):________________________________________
E-MAIL (Optional):_______________________________________

Send me more information about . . .

(  )  Project 21 (GLAAD's educational equity/textbook reform program)
(  )  The GLAAD Phone Tree Network
(  )  GLAAD volunteer opportunities

----------------------------------------------------------

GLAAD/SFBA is a non-profit [501(c)(3)] organization; all contributions are
tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.

****************************************************
"MediAlert" [TM] is a trademark of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 00:22:12 -0500
Subject: MediAlert BRIEFS, Jan.15-21

_________________________________________________________
INDEX
1.  "Box Office Hits" (HBO, Tracy Ullman, The Celluloid Closet)
2.  "Condom Sense" (John Flinn, Adweek, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, MTV, Comedy
Central)
3.  "E-Mediate Reply" (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX)
4.  "The Right College" (The Center for Campus Organizing, Campus Alternative
Journalism Project)
5.  "Media Donors" (ILGA-Portugal)
6.  "Intermissionaries" (Preview, Movie Morality Ministries, Inc.)
7.  "Heel of Fortune" (Pat Sajak, Wheel of Fortune)
8.  "Economic Affairs" (The Economist)
9.  "Press On, Press Out" (Roger Streitmatter, Unspeakable: The Rise of the
Lesbian and Gay Press in America)
10.  "Web Watch" (Echo, EGCN, Diversity!, insideOUT, The Guide, Directory of
Gay, Lesbian, & Bisexual Community Publications)
11.  "Media Activism" (Institute for Alternative Journalism, Democracy Works
Training Institute)
12.  "Activist Media" (Turning The Tide: Journal of Anti-Racist Activism,
Research & Education)
13.  "Good Net News" (The Net, NetGuide, Virtual City)
14.  General Information (about GLAAD; about MediAlert Briefs; about
membership)
_________________________________________________________

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

      M  e  d  i  A  l  e  r  t     

            B  r  i  e  f  s  

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

for the week of 
January 15 - 21, 1996 

by
Al Kielwasser 
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 
San Francisco Bay Area 

*  BOX OFFICE HITS . . .   The talents of Tracy Ullman are showcased in a new
comedy series, "Tracey Takes On . . . ," which debuts January 24 on the Home
Box Office (HBO) network.  According to the "Lexington Herald-Leader," the
weekly series will reprise some of the characters Ullman has played in the
past -- "including Trevor, the gay flight attendant, and Chris Warner, the
lesbian companion to star golfer Midge Dexter (played by Julie Kavner)."
 Also this month, on January 30, HBO will premiere "The Celluloid Closet."
 Based on a seminal book by media activist Vito Russo, this long-awaited
documentary is a critical and historical overview of lesbian, gay, bisexual
and transgender representation in Hollywood films.  Contact:  Home Box
Office, HBO Building, 1100 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036. 

*  CONDOM SENSE . . .   In a column syndicated by the New York Times News
Service ("Put Condom Ads On TV," Jan. 7), John Flinn -- an editor at the
prominent trade magazine "Adweek" -- calls upon broadcasters to begin airing
condom commercials.  "We're 15 years into the AIDS epidemic," Flinn says,
"but three of the major TV networks -- ABC, CBS and NBC -- still do not
accept paid advertising for condoms."  Network executives claim that "viewers
would be offended," though opinion polls (cited by the Centers for Disease
Control) "show that the public is supportive of condom advertising on
television."
                Though they refuse to air condom commercials, several
networks will accept noncommercial safe-sex messages that mention condoms,
and Flinn concedes that some viewers "are more likely to accept safer-sex
messages when they are part of a free public service announcement than a
sales pitch."  But, he says, public service announcements do not exert the
commercial's unique force:  "Paid ads that push brand names -- that make them
familiar products -- encourage consumers to take a package off the shelf and
try its contents."
                To date, only a handful of broadcasters have actually aired
condom commercials.  Both "MTV" and "Comedy Central" regularly accept condom
advertising.  The FOX network will also broadcast condom ads, though "it has
not done so in two years."  
                Contact:  John Flinn, Executive Features Editor, "Adweek,"
1515 Broadway, New York, NY 10036, tel. 212-536-5336.

*  E-MEDIATE REPLY . . .   Exercise your "response abilities" as a media
consumer!  Rapid and regular feedback regarding network TV programming can be
sent to these e-mail addresses:  ABC ([email-masked]), CBS
([email-masked]), FOX ([email-masked]), NBC ([email-masked]). 

*  THE RIGHT COLLEGE . . .   The Center for Campus Organizing (CCO) is a
progressive, nonprofit activist group that challenges Right Wing efforts to
control college campuses.  Among CCO's new campaigns  is the "Campus
Alternative Journalism Project,"  an initiative to provide resources,
training, support and a networking system for college newspapers.  Contact:
 CCO, P.O. Box 748, Cambridge, MA 02142, tel. 617-354-9363, fax 617-547-5067,
e-mail [email-masked]. 

*  MEDIA DONORS . . .   The newly-founded "ILGA-Portugal" (Portugal's first
national gay organization) is seeking donations of information.  The group
needs media -- copies of newspapers, videos, magazines, posters, and books --
with a lesbian/gay or AIDS focus.  Contact:  Goncalo Dumas Diniz, Chair,
ILGA-Portugal, Apartado 21281, 1131 Lisboa Codex, Portugal, tel./fax
011-351-1-254-5383, e-mail [email-masked].

*  INTERMISSIONARIES . . .   "Preview" -- the newsletter of "family movie &
TV reviews" -- is published twice monthly by Movie Morality Ministries, Inc.
 Each issue reviews current Hollywood movies, which are rated for their
"acceptability."  Most fail.  For example, "Now and Then" (PG-13) recently
scored a "-1" on the acceptability scale.  The newsletter explained:  "It's
the explicit sexual conversations . . . and seances that make 'Now and Then'
unsuitable." 
                In addition to narrative reviews, "Preview" also quantifies
the "unacceptable acts" in each movie.  These are tallied in 12 categories of
sin, as in this accounting of the movie "Copycat" (R):  "Crude Language (13
times; Mild 9, Moderate 4), Obscene Language (24 times; f-word 16, s-word 5,
other 3), Profanity (8 times; Regular 7, Exclamatory 1), Violence (Many times
. . . decapitation implied), Sexual Intercourse (None), Nudity (Many times;
breast nudity in photos; Near nudity, girls in bikinis), Homosexual Conduct
(None but gay bodyguard portrayed neutrality), Sexually Suggestive
Action/Dialogue (Killer makes crude remarks about women), Drug Abuse (Several
times; pill-popping, brandy-drinking doctor)," and "Other (Killer quotes
Bible, compares himself to Jesus)."
                "Preview" also includes a "TV Update" section, which tracks
and lists various shows as either "Objectionable,"  "Upgraded to Promising,"
or "Downgraded."  In the most recent issue, TV series that include "throwing
nose mucus around" ("Santo Bugito," CBS) are rated as LESS offensive than
shows containing "homosexual characters and aggressive women" ("Misery Loves
Company," FOX).  Apparently, "Christian" fundamentalists would rather watch
two men exchange snot than a kiss. 
                 Contact:  John Evans, Editor-in-Chief, "Preview," Movie
Morality Ministries, 1309 Seminole Drive, Richardson, TX 75080, "Preview"
subscribers can also use "Dial-A-Review" (tel. 214-231-9910) to obtain MMM's
movie "information" by phone.

*  HEEL OF FORTUNE . . .   Game show host Pat Sajak --  of "Wheel of Fortune"
fame -- is active in several Right Wing groups and causes.  Recently, he
participated in a ceremony honoring William F. Buckley, which was broadcast
by C-SPAN (Dec. 31).  Media watcher Stephen Bickford reports that, during the
awards ceremony:  "Pat Sajak brought up the topic of gay and lesbian civil
rights.  He said that he had noticed that bisexual rights had now been added
to the cause and that, in his opinion, bisexual rights are tantamount to
'adulterer's rights.'"  "Wheel of Fortune" ranks among the top-rated
syndicated TV shows Contact:  "Wheel of Fortune," 3400 Riverside Drive,
Burbank, CA 91505, tel. 818-972-7931, fax 818-972-0394.

*  ECONOMIC AFFAIRS . . .  A wedding cake, topped with the figures of two men
holding hands, fills the cover of the January 6-12 issue of "The Economist."
 Inside, the magazine editorializes in favor of legalizing lesbian and gay
marriage the magazine; one article ("Straightforward Homosexuality") examines
"the extraordinary new ordinariness of homosexuality," and another ("Let Them
Wed") argues that "there is no compelling reasons to exclude homosexual
couples from marriage, and several compelling reasons to include them."
 Significantly, "The Economist" is a conservative business weekly, in
publication since 1843, and now distributed worldwide.  Contact:  "The
Economist," Editorial Offices, 25 St. Jame's Street, London SW1A 1HG, tel.
44-171-830-7000, fax 44-171-839-2968/9; copy correspondence to "The
Economist," U.S. Offices, 111 West 57th Street, New York, NY 10019, tel.
212-541-5730, fax 212-541-9378.

*  PRESS ON, PRESS OUT . . .   A new book by Roger Streitmatter,
"Unspeakable:  The Rise of the Gay and Lesbian Press in America" (Boston:
 Faber and Faber, 1995), makes a significant contribution to media history.
 The author's comprehensive scope ranges from 1947's groundbreaking first
newsletter (12 carbon-copied issues of "Vice Versa:  America's Gayest
Magazine," written by an anonymous lesbian) and on through the
mass-circulation magazines of the 1990's.  In tracing the evolution of
lesbian and gay journalism, Streitmatter chronicles a considerable force that
continues to mirror and mold every aspect of "the movement."  The history of
the lesbian and gay press is, in many ways, the history of lesbian and gay
people.  Contact:  Roger Streitmatter, Professor of Journalism, School of
Communication, American University, 300 Mary Graydon Center, 4400 Mass Ave.
NW, Washington, DC 20016, tel. 202-885-2060.

*  WEB WATCH . . .   An ever-increasing range of queer print media --
 newspapers, magazines, newsletters -- can now be accessed electronically.  A
few examples of this vital, far-flung diversity:  
                (1) "Echo" -- a biweekly "Magazine of the Southwest" --
covers a  broad range of news and commentary, both local and national in
scope (http://www.ComeOut.com).
                (2) Small yet substantive, the "Erie Gay Community
Newsletter" is a monthly source of "information, support and affirmation . .
. A vehicle for celebrating the goodness and diversity of our community"
(http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/egcn).
                (3) "Diversity!" is the newsletter of Digital Diversity, a
non-profit British group "aimed at encouraging more gay/les/bi individuals
and organizations to get on-line."  Digital Diversity's web pages feature
electronic versions of the newsletter, as well as other queer news and
information about the UK (http://www.diversity.org.uk/diversity/).
                (4) The glossy, contemplative "insideOUT Magazine" is one of
a small but growing number of publications created by, for and about queer
youth (http://www.youth.org/io/).  
                (5) "The Guide" is a Boston-based but globally-focused
monthly.  The magazine blends a unique mixture of "Gay Travel, Entertainment,
Politics & Sex" (http://www.guidemag.com).
                (6) Over 300 publications are referenced in the third edition
of Jim Sorrells "Directory of Gay, Lesbian, & Bisexual Community
Publications."  Information about this essential media list is available
online (http://home/aol/com/GayPubDir) as well as off (P.O. Box 1946,
Guerneville, CA 95445, tel. 707-869-1146).

*  MEDIA ACTIVISM . . .   The Institute for Alternative Journalism's "Media &
Democracy Congress" (February 29-March 3, San Francisco) will feature a
"Democracy Works Training Institute."  This day-long series of workshops and
seminars is intended to assist media activists and media-makers "fight the
Right."  Robert Bray, of the National Gay & Lesbian Task Force, is among the
trainers.  Contact:  IAJ, 77 Federal Street, San Francisco, CA 94107, tel.
415-284-1419, fax 415-284-1414, e-mail [email-masked], URL
http://www.alternet.org/an/Congress.html.

*  ACTIVIST MEDIA . . .   "Turning The Tide:  Journal of Anti-Racist
Activism, Research & Education" is a unique tabloid, particularly "useful to
activists and organizers."  Contact:  "Turning The Tide," P.A.R.T., P.O. Box
1990, Burbank, CA 91507, tel. 310-288-5003, e-mail [email-masked].
 Editor Michael Novick reports that "Turning The Tide" is also "now available
on-line through the Prison Activist Resource Center web site and gopher
address on PeaceNet."

*  GOOD NET NEWS . . .   Dozens of glossy, mainstream magazines now compete
as popular guides to the Internet and online services.  Notably, several of
these non-technical publications have provided inclusive (even progressive)
coverage of the "net news" beat.  A few examples:
                (1) Each issue of "The Net" includes a new directory of
online resources -- "The Blue Pages" -- intended to help readers "get in
touch with your community."  Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender resources
are scattered throughout.  The magazine's February 1996 issue also includes
an eclectic (16-page) special report, "Sex Online," as well as a
comprehensive (4-page) guide to "Finding AIDS/HIV Resources Online." "The
Net" is published monthly.  Contact:  Minda Sandler, Editor-in-Chief, "The
Net," Image Publishing, Inc., 1350 Old Bayshore Highway, Suite 210,
Burlingame, CA 94010, tel. 415-696-1688, fax 415-696-1678, e-mail
[email-masked]; to recommend web sites for inclusion in "The Blue
Pages," forward URLs to [email-masked].
                (2) "NetGuide" provides a monthly review of online resources
 --  the substantial "CyberGuide" list  -- which specifically includes a
"Pink Triangle" section.  "Dykes Delight!," "Gay Youth R Out," and "The Gay
Man's Guide to Safer Sex" are among eight "Pink Triangle" resources
highlighted in the January 1996 issue.  Richard Santalesa, Executive Editor,
"NetGuide," 600 Community Drive, Manhasset, New York, NY 11030, tel.
516-562-5000, fax 516-562-7406, e-mail [email-masked], URL
http://www.netguide.com; to recommend web sites for inclusion in the
"CyberGuide," forward the URL and a one-sentence recommendation to
[email-masked], with the words "People's Choice" in the subject
line.   
                (3) The annotated web listings included in "Virtual City"
("Your Guide to Cyber Culture") also feature a "Gays & Lesbians" section.
 The Winter 1996 issue reviews nine such sites, including "Infoqueer," "Youth
Action Online," "Black Homie Page" and a "Gay and Lesbian Star Trek" page.
 "Virtual City" is published quarterly, as a joint venture of  Newsweek, Inc.
 Contact:  Lewis D'Vorkin, Editor-in-Chief, "Virtual City," 444 Madison
Avenue, New York, NY 10022, tel. 212-593-1537, e-mail [email-masked], URL
http://www.virtcitnow.com.

                ****************************************************

A B O U T   G L A A D . . .

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION  challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . .   shaping the forces that shape our society.

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is an
independently incorporated, non-profit, volunteer-based membership
organization.  Dedicated to cultural advocacy and media activism, GLAAD/SFBA
promotes the fair, accurate and diverse representation of lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgender lives.  GLAAD/SFBA is the largest and oldest GLAAD
chapter in the nation.

To notify GLAAD of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request membership or other information, call the 24-hour "MediAlert Hotline"
 (415-861-4588) or write to the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-861-2244,
fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

To assist on-going monitoring and response efforts, GLAAD/SFBA appreciates
copies of any correspondence individuals send to, or receive from, the media.

****************************************************

A B O U T   M E D I A L E R T . . .

"GLAAD MediAlert" and "MediAlert Briefs" are weekly, action-oriented columns
that may be printed, published or posted, under these or any titles, in whole
or part, without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution should be
made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San Francisco."  "MediAlerts" are
available upon request, by mail, e-mail or fax.  GLAAD/SFBA greatly
appreciates copies of any publications that make use of these weekly reports.

****************************************************

A B O U T   M E M B E R S H I P  .  .  .   

GLAAD's work is directly supported by our members.  Please consider joining
with us in one of the following membership categories.  All memberships
include a subscription to the monthly newsletter, "GLAAD Update."  

----------------------------------------------------------

Indicate your choice below and mail check or credit card information to:
 GLAAD/SFBA, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, Attn:
 Membership.  Forms sent by e-mail should be directed to Kristy Billuni,
Managing Director ([email-masked]).

(  )  $ 5  Youth Membership (18 and under)
(  )  $ 35  Basic Membership
(  )  $50  Household Membership
(  )  $100  Institutional Membership (community
organizations/media/businesses)
(  )  $250  GLAAD Guardian (includes complimentary limited-edition Project 21
 lesbian/gay/bisexual history poster)

(  )  A check is enclosed.
(  )  Please bill my
VISA # ____________________________
MASTERCARD#_____________________
EXP.  DATE:_________________________

NAME:_________________________________________________
ADDRESS:______________________________________________
CITY:__________________________________________________
STATE:______________________    ZIP:______________________
PHONE (Optional):________________________________________
E-MAIL (Optional):_______________________________________

Send me more information about . . .

(  )  Project 21 (GLAAD's educational equity/textbook reform program)
(  )  The GLAAD Phone Tree Network
(  )  GLAAD volunteer opportunities

----------------------------------------------------------

GLAAD/SFBA is a non-profit [501(c)(3)] organization; all contributions are
tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.

****************************************************
"MediAlert" [TM] is a trademark of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area