Subject: GLAAD MediAlert, Jan. 8-14
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 01:40:41 -0500

Part 2 of this week's "MediAlert" appears under separate cover, as "MediAlert
Briefs, Jan. 8-14."  This is Part 1 of 2 ("GLAAD MediAlert, Jan. 8-14").

_______________________________________________________________

INDEX

(Part One) "GLAAD MediAlert, Jan. 8-14" 

1.  "Remaining Invisible" (Mehlville School District; Becoming Visible-A
Reader in Gay and Lesbian History for High School and College Students;
Family Friendly Libraries)
2.  "Homophobic Heartburn, Acrid Indigestion" (KOAA-TV; NBC; Carnie; Jenny
Jones)
3.  "Subtracting the Ads" (American Family Association of Texas; Texas
Triangle; Austin American-Statesman)
4.  "Fool Service" (CompuServe, H & R Block, CIS Magazine, American Airlines,
Americans for Gay Rights)

(Part Two) "MediAlert Briefs, Jan. 8-14" 

5.  "Media Briefs" (Hate Climate, People For The American Way; Matt Waters,
CBS; San Francisco Examiner; National History Standards, Let Freedom Ring,
Family Research Council; QNA New Zealand, Dutch Gay News, Radioperiodico
Reloj; Conservatives-How Christian Are They?; Journal of Gay, Lesbian, and
Bisexual Identity, XXX Fruit; media- and  activist-related World Wide Web
sites; sound, unsound bites)
6.  General Information (about GLAAD; about MediAlert; about membership)

_______________________________________________________________

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

     M  e  d  i  A  l  e  r  t   

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

for the week of 
January 8 - 14, 1996 

by
Al Kielwasser 
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 
San Francisco Bay Area 

R E M A I N I N G   I N V I S I B L E   

A lesbian and gay history book, intended for high school students, has been
banned from the shelves of at least two high school libraries.  "Becoming
Visible:  A Reader in Gay and Lesbian History for High School and College
Students" (Alyson Publications) was banned by Bob Rogers, the superintendent
of schools in Mehlville, Missouri.  Copies of the book had been donated to
the school district by GLSTN, the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Teachers Network.

According to a local newspaper ("The Oakville Call," Dec. 21), the school
district's librarian has placed "Becoming Visible" in Mehlville's
"professional library," rather than the school libraries for which it was
intended.  Superintendent Rogers claimed the book "does not meet the needs of
the curriculum" for high schoolers.  He added:  "I'm not aware of any school
that has put that book in their library.  We just don't put a book in the
library because some group sends it to us."

In fact, quite a few ENLIGHTENED public schools have enriched their holdings
with copies of "Becoming Visible."  Kay Hones, librarian for San Francisco's
Mission High School, reports that a copy of the book was recently donated to
her library and "is a welcome resource for our students." 

Unfortunately, however, the events in Mehlville are hardly isolated.  The
latest issue of "Censorship News" warns that school libraries are the target
of a chilling new Right Wing campaign.  

A group calling itself "Family Friendly Libraries" (FFL) is organizing a
nationwide effort to repudiate the "Library Bill of Rights," a strong
anti-censorship policy adopted by the American Library Association.  FFL
hopes to convince schools and their libraries to adopt its own policy, which
states that the purpose of a library is to emphasize the "superiority" of the
traditional family, a "mother and father, married to each other, committed to
a lifetime monogamous relationship."  Following FFL guidelines, libraries
would restrict access to any materials that do not promote these "family
values."

According to the National Coalition Against Censorship (NCAC),
"anti-homosexual bigotry provides much of the fuel for Family Friendly
Libraries."  NCAC reports that these "extremists have learned the utility of
tapping into -- and deepening -- the existing reservoir of fear and
resentment at the perceived success of the 'homosexual agenda.'  Exploiting
homophobia, they have learned, quickly polarizes communities and makes
reasoned debate nearly impossible."

When censors are successful, NCAC says, "students learn that reading is
dangerous, that adults do not trust young people, and that suppression is the
way to respond to controversy."

They also learn hatred and fear.  Censors of homosexuality are, in effect,
teachers of homophobia.  When fair and factual information is suppressed,
myths about sexual orientation thrive -- promoting substance abuse, suicide,
guilt, isolation, increased risk of HIV infection, physical abuse, and a host
of other tragic consequences. 

As Marlon Riggs observed, we live "at a time when dykes and faggots are
knifed and bludgeoned, too often with impunity, by night and by day . . . .
 A time when queer blood runs loose and wild along the curbside."  "Yet in
such savage attacks," Riggs said, "the weight of the crime lies less on the
teenaged bigot who wields the bat, the brick, the razor, than on the society
whose values, laws, education -- and religion -- systematically sanction the
obscenity of hate-motivated violence."

While school officials argue that homosexual history books "do not meet the
needs of the curriculum," school children commit most of the homophobic hate
crimes reported annually.  The silence in our schools cannot be separated
from the violence in our streets. 

***   ACTION ALERT!   Calls and letters of protest should be sent to:  Bob
Rogers, Superintendent of Schools, 69 Randolph Road, Mehlville, MO 63125,
tel. 314-487-6100.  Copy your complaint to All Members, Board of Education,
3120 LeMay Ferry Road, Mehlville, MO 63125, tel. 314-892-5000.  
                To focus public attention (and accusation) on the "weight of
this crime," send "Letters to the Editors" of these regional newspapers:
 "The Post Dispatch," 900 N. Tucker Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63101, fax
314-340-3139.   "The Oakville Call," Telegraph Road, St. Louis, MO 63129,
tel. 314-843-0102, fax 314-843-0508.
                For more information about "Family Friendly Libraries" and
how to combat such censors, contact:  National Coalition Against Censorship,
275 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10001, tel. 212-807-6222, e-mail
[email-masked].

H O M O P H O B I C   H E A R T B U R N ,    A C R I D   I N D I G E S T I O
N      

An article in "U.S. News & World Report" (Jan. 8) concludes that the "critics
of trash TV should be pleased with the outcome" of their efforts.  The
magazine reports that new talk shows, now in development, "seem less
sensational and exploitative than last season's fare."  

"Sensational" and "exploitative" are often the critic's code for ANYTHING
queer -- regardless of particular quality or substance.  Generalized attacks
on "talk show sleaze" specifically, and not intentionally, included every
program to substantially feature talk by or about lesbian, gay, bisexual, and
transgender people. 

The national assault on television talk shows has always involved a strong
undercurrent of homophobia.  Sometimes, the bigotry surfaces. 

The general manager of Colorado's KOAA-TV recently pulled "Carnie" and "Jenny
Jones" from his station, stating that he has had enough of "trash
television."  "We got two crappy shows off the air," John Gilbert announced.
 Declaring that certain talk-show topics "give me indigestion," Gilbert
explained that "homosexuals, transvestites and lesbians" have no place on his
television station.  

KOAA-TV is the National Broadcasting Company (NBC) affiliate for the Colorado
Springs/Pueblo area.  NBC is owned by GE, the General Electric Company.  

Affiliate stations are compensated by a TV network to promote and broadcast
the network's  programming.  Though they are not network owned or operated,
affiliates are certainly expected to enhance -- rather than demean -- their
network's corporate character.  

***   ACTION ALERT!   Talk back to the homophobic critics of television talk.
 Contact:  John Gilbert, President & General Manager, KOAA-TV, P.O. Box 195,
Pueblo, CO 81002, tel. 719-544-5781 or 719-636-1222, fax 719-544-7733, e-mail
[email-masked].  Copy your complaints to both NBC and GE.  Contact:  Office of
the President, NBC Television Network, National Broadcasting Company, 30
Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10112, tel. 212-664-2074, fax 212-664-7541,
URL http://www.nbc.com/.   John F. Welch, Chair, General Electric Company,
3135 Easton Turnpike, Fairfield, CT 06431, tel. 203-373-2211.

S U B T R A C T I N G   T H E   A D S   

The Texas chapter of the American Family Association (AFA) -- a homophobic
media watchdog group -- is attempting to put the "Texas Triangle," a weekly
gay and lesbian newspaper, out of business.  The AFA has targeted local
businesses, pressuring them stop "helping subsidize the homosexual agenda"
and pull their advertising from the "Triangle."

To date, the AFA has contacted at least 50 advertisers in the Austin and
Houston areas.  A weekly radio show on KIXL-AM (an affiliate of the Christian
Broadcasting Network) provides a forum for the AFA's state director --  Wyatt
Roberts -- to broadcast the names of companies that have failed to pull their
ads.  Consumer boycotts and pickets have followed.

The "Houston Chronicle" (Jan. 3) reports that, "because of Roberts' campaign,
four advertisers have discontinued advertising in the 'Triangle.'"  Several
companies have voiced their support for the "Triangle," however, and at least
one business -- Congress Avenue Booksellers -- announced it would double its
advertising in protest.

The "Austin American-Statesman" (Dec. 30) also protested the AFA's campaign
and encouraged more businesses to "stand up to bullies."  The newspaper
editorialized:  "One of the more distressing phenomena that have accompanied
the resurgence of conservatism in America is that groups that preach love but
practice hate have been emboldened . . . .  Which brings us to something
called the American Family Association of Texas . . . .  The best way to
handle such bullies is to stand up to them, and it is extremely gratifying to
see that so many mainstream businesses who advertise in the 'Texas Triangle'
have done just that.  More power to them."

Kelly Longscope, editor and publisher of the "Triangle," remains optimistic
and hopes that the recent publicity may even prove beneficial.  Ironically,
though, her newspaper might be uniquely vulnerable to the AFA attack
precisely because "it's one of the cleanest gay publications in the country,"
said Longscope.  The "Triangle" does not print "sexually graphic material" --
including sex-oriented ads -- and thus "relies primarily on mainstream
advertisers."

***   ACTION ALERT !   Compliments or criticism can be sent to:  Wyatt
Roberts, State Director, AFA of Texas, P.O. Box 140917, Austin, TX 78714,
tel. 512-472-9196.    Gene Bender, General Manager, KIXL-AM, Suite 300, 3910
 S. IH35, Austin, TX 78704, tel. 512-444-3000.    "Austin
American-Statesman," P.O. Box 670, Austin, TX 78767, fax 512-445-3679, e-mail
[email-masked].

F O O L   S E R V I C E   

In recent press announcements, the CompuServe company has continued it's
official cop out --  deceptively acting more like a victim than the agent of
censorship [see "Bad Newsgroups," GLAAD MediAlert, Jan. 1-7].  Publicly, the
company has vowed it will "continue working" tirelessly to restore banned
Internet newsgroups.  But in an internal memo, CompuServe president Bob
Massey cautioned his associates NOT to expect expedient remedies.  "We must
proceed slowly, carefully and deliberately," Massey said, "to ensure that we
fully understand the implications of any actions we take." 

Such empty and unconvincing rhetoric is hardly encouraging.  It seems more
likely that CompuServe will "continue working" to impose sex-negative,
homophobic and otherwise intolerable restrictions on Internet access.
 Indeed, in a recent statement Massey made this troubling, nonspecific point:
 "I want to make it clear that regardless of how this issue is resolved,
there are certain newsgroups that will not be added to our index." 

Ironically, CompuServe's new advertising campaign and slogan -- "Sometimes
life calls for deeper answers" -- attempts to position the censorious company
as an information-rich, full-service provider.  The ads boasts that:
 "CompuServe gives you Internet access and more detailed information on the
subjects you're interested in than any other online service.  Because
CompuServe has the strongest relationship with the best sources . . . you're
always plugged in . . .  Don't be left only half-informed ever again.  Sign
up today."

***   ACTION ALERT !   Critical feedback should continue to be sent directly
to Bob Massey, President/CEO, CompuServe, Inc., 5000 Arlington Center Blvd.,
Columbus, OH 43302, e-mail [email-masked] (cc to Naomi Cubarrubia,
CompuServe Customer Service Representative, e-mail [email-masked]).
 Protests can also be logged on the "Feedback" page of CompuServe's web site
(URL http://www.compuserve.com:80/homepage.html) or phoned in using the
company's toll-free Customer Service line (tel. 1-800-848-8990).
                CompuServe is owned by the H & R Block Company (Henry Bloch,
Chairperson, H & R Block, Inc., 4410 Main Street, Kansas City, MO 64111, tel.
816-753-6900, fax 816-753-5346).  Additional comments and complaints can be
directed to CompuServe's "CIS Magazine" (e-mail 70003.3731) and to one of the
magazine's primary advertisers, American Airlines (Robert L. Crandall,
Chairperson, AMR Corporation, P.O. Box 619616, Dallas-Fort Worth Airport, TX
75261, tel. 817-963-1234, fax 817-967-1184).
                Several protest and boycott efforts have targeted the German
government, which purportedly instigated CompuServe's newsgroup ban.
 Americans for Gay Rights, a San Francisco-based activist group, has launched
a month-long boycott of two popular German beers, Becks and St. Pauli Girl.
 Contact:  Michael Petrelis, Americans for Gay Rights, e-mail
[email-masked].
                Finally, a "Just Say NO to Compu$erve and Internet
Censorship" graphic (GIF), created for display on web pages or other protest
materials, is accessible online at FTP (ftp://ftp.wolfe.com; the file is
"nocis.gif") and web sites (http://www.wolfe.com). 

*********************************************************

S P E C I A L    N O T E  

                Part 2 of this week's "MediAlert" appears under separate
cover, as "MediAlert Briefs, Jan. 8-14."  This is Part 1 of 2 ("GLAAD
MediAlert, Jan. 8-14").

M E D I A L E R T

                "MediAlert" is a weekly column that may be printed, published
or posted, under this or any title, in whole or part, without prior
permission.  When appropriate, attribution should be made to "Al Kielwasser"
and/or "GLAAD San Francisco."  "MediAlerts" are available upon request, by
mail, e-mail or fax.  GLAAD/SFBA greatly appreciates copies of any
publications that make use of these weekly reports.  

G L A A D / S F B A

                To notify GLAAD of any defamatory or affirmative media
coverage, or to request membership or other information, call the 24-hour
"MediAlert Hotline"  (415-861-4588) or write to:  the Gay & Lesbian Alliance
Against Defamation, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103,
tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 01:41:15 -0500
Subject: MediAlert Briefs, Jan. 8-14

Part 1 of this week's "MediAlert" appears under separate cover, as "GLAAD
MediAlert, Jan. 8-14."  This is Part 2 of 2 ("MediAlert Briefs, Jan. 8-14").

_______________________________________________________________

INDEX

(Part One) "GLAAD MediAlert, Jan. 8-14" 

1.  "Remaining Invisible" (Mehlville School District; Becoming Visible-A
Reader in Gay and Lesbian History for High School and College Students;
Family Friendly Libraries)
2.  "Homophobic Heartburn, Acrid Indigestion" (KOAA-TV; NBC; Carnie; Jenny
Jones)
3.  "Subtracting the Ads" (American Family Association of Texas; Texas
Triangle; Austin American-Statesman)
4.  "Fool Service" (CompuServe, H & R Block, CIS Magazine, American Airlines,
Americans for Gay Rights)

(Part Two) "MediAlert Briefs, Jan. 8-14"

5.  "Media Briefs" (Hate Climate, People For The American Way; Matt Waters,
CBS; San Francisco Examiner; National History Standards, Let Freedom Ring,
Family Research Council; QNA New Zealand, Dutch Gay News, Radioperiodico
Reloj; Conservatives-How Christian Are They?; Journal of Gay, Lesbian, and
Bisexual Identity, XXX Fruit; media- and  activist-related World Wide Web
sites; sound, unsound bites)
6.  General Information (about GLAAD; about MediAlert; about membership)

_______________________________________________________________

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

      M  e  d  i  A  l  e  r  t     

            B  r  i  e  f  s  

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

for the week of 
January 8 - 14, 1996 

by
Al Kielwasser 
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 
San Francisco Bay Area 

M E D I A   B R I E F S

*  VITAL STATISTICS . . .    On January 2, People For The American Way (PFAW)
released its annual "Hate Climate" report, documenting "a surge in anti-gay
activity across the United States" in 1995.  PFAW describes 180 anti-gay
incidents in this report -- the most recorded since the group first started
compiling the state-by-state surveys, three years ago.  
                Significantly, this new report seeks to connect hate speech
(the homophobia radiated by public figures through the mass media) and hate
violence (the mundane savagery of private bashers and "ordinary" bigots).
 According to PFAW president Tom Andrews, the study "documents cases of
harassment, discrimination, and violence against gay men and lesbians and the
hate speech by public figures like Pat Robertson of the Christian Coalition
and other Religious Right leaders who fuel it."  
                Contact:  People For The American Way, 2000 M Street NW,
Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036, tel. 202-467-4999, fax 202-293-2672. 

*  SCHOOL'S OUT . . .    From "Welcome Back, Kotter" to "Saved By the Bell,"
television's school-based series have systematically EXCLUDED queer
characters.  However, a new schoolroom drama -- "Matt Waters" (CBS) -- will
buck heterosexist tradition by including a gay student in the cast.  "The New
York Times" (Jan. 4) reports that the series will feature gay character "Russ
Achoa," played by actor Felix A. Pire.  Talk-show host Montel Williams plays
the title role, a "retired Navy Seal who returns to his hometown to become a
science teacher at Bayview High School."  According to John J. O'Connor, TV
critic for "The Times," "Matt Waters" is an updated version of the classic
schoolroom genre that "might best be described as 'Room 222' with condoms."  
                Contact:  Columbia Broadcasting System, 51 W. 52nd Street,
New York, NY 10019, tel. 212-975-4321, fax 212-975-7452, e-mail
[email-masked] or [email-masked], URL http://www.cbs.com/.

*  WRONG HEADED . . .    Headline writers sometimes fail to grasp the facts
of a news story.  An article in the "San Francisco Examiner" (Jan. 4), filed
by Associated Press writer Malcolm Ritter, reports the results of a study
that contradicted the popular belief that children of lesbian parents "have a
high chance of being homosexual when they grow up."  Unfortunately, the
"Examiner" gave the article this misleading headline:  "Lesbian-Raised Kids
Turn Straight."  By way of contrast, the same AP article was printed in the
"Chicago Tribune" (Jan. 5), but with this headline:  "Study:  Lesbians' Kids
Unlikely To Be Gay."  Contact: "San Francisco Examiner," 110 Fifth Street,
San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-777-2424, fax 415-512-1264, e-mail
[email-masked], URL http://cyber.sfgate.com/examiner/. 

*  THE RING OF MISTRUTH . . .   The proposed "National History Standards" for
U.S. schools (K-12) have provoked considerable Right Wing fits.  The American
Family Association claims that "the standards replace many traditional
historical American figures such as Thomas Edison, Jonas Salk, Paul Revere,
Robert E. Lee and others with politically correct characters such as Madonna,
Roseanne, Mother Jones, etc."  Most recently, another homophobic hate group
-- the Family Research Council -- has published its own alternative
"standards," in a booklet described (deceptively) as "an unbiased,
traditional outline of American History."  Entitled "Let Freedom Ring," the
new booklet is being promoted "as a resource for teachers, school boards,
parents and community organizations in response to the overwhelmingly
critical concern of educators who have reviewed the new National History
Standards from the National Endowment for the Humanities."  For a
COMPLIMENTARY copy of "Let Freedom Ring," call TOLL FREE:  1-800-225-4008.

*  GLOBAL VILLAGE VOICE . . .    (1) "QNA" is a "weekly news service of
events, activities and other items of interest that are happening in the
queer community in New Zealand."  The publication is distributed online, via
the "QNA" mailing list (e-mail [email-masked]).  News and other
submissions can be sent by e-mail, fax (64-21-787264), or toll-free fax
(0800-771-404).  
                (2) "Dutch Gay News" ("DGN") is a non-commercial, volunteer
activity aimed at spreading information concerning all aspects of the Dutch
gay community.  "DGN" can be contacted c/o Bert Schuur, John Franklinstraat
71-iii, NL-1056 TA Amsterdam, The Netherlands, tel./fax int-31-20-6837486,
e-mail [email-masked].  Online "DGN" digests can be accessed via the World
Wide Web (http://www.xs4all.nl/~berts), the Gaynet, Euroqueer and Queerplanet
mailing lists, or the Queer Resources Directory (www.qrd.org).
                (3) "Asociacion de Lucha por el Respeto a la Diversidad"
(ALRDS), a queer activist organization in Costa Rica, is calling for
international condemnation of the country's news service, "Radioperiodico
Reloj" (RR).  In a network editorial, RR claimed homosexuality is "the main
cause" of AIDS and that:  "The truth is that homosexuality is against human
nature.  The only way to prevent this evil is to promote a higher morality."
 Send complaints to:  Rolando Angulo Zeledon, Director, Radioperiodico Reloj,
Apartado 4334-1000, San Jose, Costa Rica, fax 011-506-233-6749.  Copy your
correspondence to:  ALRDS, Apartado 1619-4050, Alajuela, Costa Rica, e-mail
[email-masked].

*  OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BIGOTS . . .    "Conservatives:  How Christian Are
They?" is a handy new handbook that provides "Biblical Refutations of
Conservative Quotes."  According to author Mel Thompson, "the basic goal of
the handbook is to use the Far Right's own texts against them."  For more
information, contact:  Mel C. Thompson, P.O. Box 640552, San Francisco, CA
94109.

*  JOURNAL-ISMS . . .    (1) The "Journal of Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual
Identity" is a new, progressive academic quarterly, dedicated to "the
exchange of new knowledge and ideas about every major aspect of lesbian, gay,
bisexual, and transgender life."  For a free copy of the premiere issue,
contact:  Human Sciences Press, Inc., Attn: Dept. HGL, 233 Spring Street, New
York, NY 10013-1578, tel. 800-221-9369.  
                (2) "Justice, family, sex, the OJ trial, AIDS, politics, gay
and lesbian issues and civil rights" -- these are among the eclectic subjects
explored on the pages of "XXX Fruit," a new literary quarterly described as
"a multi-media, polysexual, politically restless journal for these sobering
times."  "XXX Fruit" has also launched an online site and claims to be "the
first literary and art magazine of its kind on the World Wide Web"
(http://www.echonyc.com/~xxxfruit).  Contact:  "XXX Fruit," 226 East 7th
Street, #4A, New York, NY 10009, tel. 212-228-5175, fax 212-228-7958, e-mail
[email-masked].

*  WEB WATCH . . .    (1) The "Texas Triangle" -- a weekly newspaper and "The
State's Gay News Source" --  also maintains a site on the World Wide Web (URL
http://www.outline.com/triangle/hp/html).
                (2) Wes Kashiwagi, Managing Editor of "The Paper," has
announced a new web arrival -- "Monterey's gay homepage" (URL
http://members.aol.com/stickyrice/mtrygay.html).
                (3) According to publisher David Van Virden, "The U Report"
offers "Everything for the modern homosexual!"  Coverage is expansive indeed,
including subjects that range from "culture" and "cyberness" to "media" and
"muscles" (URL http://www.ureport.com/ureport/).
                (4) Media watchers can consult or contribute to a useful list
of "television programs that have included gay/lesbian/bisexual characters as
a part of their regular (or semi-regular) casts."  Maintained by David Wyatt
(e-mail [email-masked]), the list's latest version is always posted
on the web (URL http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~wyatt/tv-characters.html).
                (5) "The Advocate" newsmagazine has announced the premiere of
its web site, which features an interactive poll and a bulletin board-style
discussion area (URL http://www.advocate.com).
                (6) Information from or about various media activist and
anti-censorship groups converges on the "Media Watch Home Page"
(http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~mernst/media/).

*  SOUND BITE . . .     "We have been socialized to respect fear more than
our needs for language and definition, and while we wait in silence for the
final luxury of fearlessness, the weight of that silence will choke us . . .
.  The transformation of silence into language and action is an act of
self-revelation and that always seems fraught with danger.  We fear the very
visibility without which we also cannot truly live . . .  and that visibility
which makes us most vulnerable is that which is also the source of our
greatest strength."    --  Audre Lorde, "Sinister Wisdom," No. 7

*  (UN)SOUND BITE . . .    "What's the issue?  If it's important to someone
to know what my sexuality is, I'm sorry.   . . . I never talked about my
personal life in standup.  I never talked about it before.  And suddenly,
it's become this big issue.  And I don't have anything to say about it . . .
.  I really don't."    --  Ellen DeGeneres, "USA Weekend," November 24-26

****************************************************

A B O U T   G L A A D . . .

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION  challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . .   shaping the forces that shape our society.

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is an
independently incorporated, non-profit, volunteer-based membership
organization.  Dedicated to cultural advocacy and media activism, GLAAD/SFBA
promotes the fair, accurate and diverse representation of lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgender lives.  GLAAD/SFBA is the largest and oldest GLAAD
chapter in the nation.

To notify GLAAD of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request membership or other information, call the 24-hour "MediAlert Hotline"
 (415-861-4588) or write to:  the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-861-2244,
fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

To assist on-going monitoring and response efforts, GLAAD/SFBA appreciates
copies of any correspondence individuals send to, or receive from, the media.

****************************************************

A B O U T   M E D I A L E R T . . .

"MediAlert" is a weekly column that may be printed, published or posted,
under this or any title, in whole or part, without prior permission.  When
appropriate, attribution should be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San
Francisco."  "MediAlerts" are available upon request, by mail, e-mail or fax.
 GLAAD/SFBA greatly appreciates copies of any publications that make use of
these weekly reports.  

****************************************************

A B O U T   M E M B E R S H I P  .  .  .   

GLAAD's work is directly supported by our members.  Please consider joining
with us in one of the following membership categories.  All memberships
include a subscription to the monthly newsletter, "GLAAD Update."  

Indicate your choice below and mail check or credit card information to:
 GLAAD/SFBA, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, Attn:
 Membership.  Forms sent by e-mail should be directed to Kristy Billuni,
Managing Director ([email-masked]).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

(  )  $ 5  Youth Membership (18 and under)
(  )  $ 35  Basic Membership
(  )  $50  Household Membership
(  )  $100  Institutional Membership (community
organizations/media/businesses)
(  )  $250  GLAAD Guardian (includes complimentary limited-edition Project 21
 lesbian/gay/bisexual history poster)

(  )  A check is enclosed.
(  )  Please bill my
VISA # ____________________________
MASTERCARD#_____________________
EXP.  DATE:_________________________

NAME:_________________________________________________
ADDRESS:______________________________________________
CITY:__________________________________________________
STATE:______________________    ZIP:______________________
PHONE (Optional):________________________________________
E-MAIL (Optional):_______________________________________

Send me more information about . . .

(  )  Project 21 (GLAAD's educational equity/textbook reform program)
(  )  The GLAAD Phone Tree Network
(  )  GLAAD volunteer opportunities

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

GLAAD/SFBA is a non-profit [501(c)(3)] organization; all contributions are
tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.

****************************************************

S P E C I A L    N O T E  

Part 1 of this week's "MediAlert" appears under separate cover, as "GLAAD
MediAlert, Jan. 8-14."  This is Part 2 of 2 ("MediAlert Briefs, Jan. 8-14").