Subject: GLAAD MediAlert, Dec. 25-31
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 1996 01:51:06 -0500

_______________________________________________________________
INDEX:
1.  "Jeer Leader"  (TV Guide, Roseanne, ABC, Friends, NBC)
2.  "Rated:  H" (American Family Association, Courthouse, The Crew, Friends,
NYPD Blue, Melrose Place, Volkswagen, Procter & Gamble, McDonald's, Johnson &
Johnson, Abbott Labs)
3.  "Terminologically Ill" (Desert News, Charlotte Observer, Chicago Tribune,
Associated Press, CNN)
4.  "School Daze" (Texas Education Commission, Byron Center School Board,
East Allen County School Board)
5.  "Media Briefs" (Parent's Television Council, Sisters; New York Times;
Slant; People Magazine)
6.  General Information (about GLAAD; about MediAlert; about membership)
_______________________________________________________________

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

       M  e  d  i  A  l  e  r  t   

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

for the week of 
December 25 - 31, 1995 

by
Al Kielwasser 
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 
San Francisco Bay Area 

J E E R   L E A D E R  

Once again, the "Cheers & Jeers" column in "TV Guide" has given thumbs-down
to homophobia.  The December 30 "TV Guide" awards a well-earned "Jeer" to ABC
for rescheduling a "gay wedding" episode "Roseanne."  ABC claimed the time
change was necessary to protect children from the (purportedly) "adult humor"
in the episode.  

Sensing the network's heterosexist double-standard, "TV Guide" questions
"just how legit is ABC's concern over gay nuptials?"  The magazine points out
that another sitcom, on another network -- NBC's "Friends" -- will also
feature a same-sex wedding story, on January 18.  "And NBC plans to air the
show at 8 (PM), just as it always does," says "TV Guide.  "Maybe that's the
kind of thinking that put NBC in first place."

The insult is brief, but biting -- and the significance of such critical
asides should not be underestimated.  "TV Guide" is, after all, the most
widely circulated periodical in the United States.  "Jeering" network
homophobia seems a particularly good use of the magazine's privileged access
to America's homes.

***  ACTION ALERT!   Vocal support FROM queers can help maintain vocal
support FOR queers.  Send a cheer to "TV Guide's" new editor:  Steven
Raddcliffe, Editor-in-Chief, "TV Guide," Radnor, PA 19088 (correspondence
intended for publication should be directed to the "Letters Department," at
the same address). 

 R A T E D :   H 

Self-described as "a Christian organization promoting the Biblical ethic of
decency in American society with primary emphasis on TV and other media," the
American Family Association (AFA) is actually a well-financed, heterosexual
supremacist group.  The organization's monthly magazine, the "AFA Journal,"
has begun the new year with a bigot's guide to broadcasting.  The January
1996 issue offers readers a homophobic accounting of prime-time television
programming.   

To indicate the "offensiveness" of particular programs, the AFA has assigned
various ratings codes.  These codes include:  "AC" (anti-Christian), "PC"
(politically correct), "S" (objectionable sexual content), "P" (profanity)
and -- of course -- "H" (promotes homosexual agenda).  

For example, an episode of "The Crew" (FOX, November 16) is rated "S  H  P6."
 Thus, according to the AFA, the episode contained objectionable sexual
content, promoted the homosexual agenda, and used profanity six times.  A
brief content summary is also provided, adding specific details about the
episode:   "RuPaul is a guest star, and dialogue is packed with homosexual
jokes, bondage jokes and more."

Of the 22 prime-time programs reviewed by the AFA, no less than 15 are
accused of "promoting the homosexual agenda."  "H" ratings are given to
"Courthouse" (CBS), "The Crew" (FOX),  "Friends" (NBC), "High Society" (CBS),
"Homicide" (NBC), "Hope & Gloria" (NBC), "Hudson Street" (ABC), "Melrose
Place" (FOX), "The Nanny" (CBS), "NewsRadio" (NBC), "NYPD Blue" (ABC),
"Pursuit of Happiness" (NBC), "Roseanne" (ABC), "The Single Guy" (NBC), and
"Sisters" (NBC).  Of these series, five -- "The Crew," "Friends," "Melrose
Place," "Courthouse" and "NYPD Blue"-- are cited for broadcasting MULTIPLE
promo-homo episodes. 

Significantly, AFA members are NOT encouraged to write or call the TV
networks, but rather the companies that purchased airtime during "H" rated
shows.  These advertisers are urged to stop sponsoring the "homosexual
agenda," or risk a loss in sales.

The effectiveness of such threats is difficult to determine (and the subject
of some debate).  Despite official industry denials, however, advertisers
undoubtedly wield SIGNIFICANT influence over the content of commercial
television.  The AFA, which reaches a large and responsive membership,
intends to wield significant influence over the conduct of advertisers.

The January "AFA Journal" specifically targets Abbot Labs (Murine eye drops,
Selsun Blue shampoo), for advertising during "Courthouse" episodes that
portrayed lesbianism as "normal" and a lesbian as the "heroine."  McDonald's
(fast foods) is cited for sponsoring episodes of "The Crew," which featured
"Paul, the series homosexual."  Procter & Gamble (Tide, Spic & Span,
Pringles) is also listed, for purchasing airtime during episodes of "Friends"
in which there were "numerous homosexual and condom" references and "God's
name is used in vain about once every 2.5 minutes."  The AFA targets
Volkswagen (Audi, Volkswagen cars), for sponsoring "NYPD Blue's" inclusion of
a lesbian police officer, a homosexual secretary, and "many crude
scatological and sex terms (piss, pullin' my pud, joint, etc.)."  Finally,
Johnson & Johnson (Johnson baby products, Tylenol) is cited, for sponsoring
the "Homosexual character Matt" -- staple of the prime-time soap opera
"Melrose Place."  

***   ACTION ALERT!   Urge companies targeted by the AFA to resist the forces
of homophobic hate -- through the continued support of fairness, accuracy,
and diversity in television.  Contact:  Duane L. Burnham, Chair, Abbott
Laboratories, 100 Abbott Park Road, Abbott Park, IL 60064, tel. 708-937-6100,
fax 708-937-1511;  Ralph S. Larsen, Chair, Johnson & Johnson, One Johnson &
Johnson Plaza, New Brunswick, NJ 08933, tel. 908-524-0400 or 800-635-6789,
fax 908-214-0332;  Michael R. Quinlan, Chair, McDonald's Corporation, 1 Kroc
Drive, Oak Brook, IL 60521, tel. 708-575-3000, fax 708-575-5512;  Edwin L.
Artzt, Chair, Procter & Gamble, P.O. Box 599, Cincinnati, OH 45201, tel.
513-983-1100 or 800-435-9254, fax 513-562-4500;  Clive Warrilow, President,
Volkswagen of America, P.O. Box 3951, Troy, MI 48007, tel. 313-340-5000 or
800-822-8987, fax 313-340-4930.                     
                The "AFA Journal" is the product of Donald E. Wildmon,
Executive Editor and President, American Family Association, P.O. Drawer
2440, Tupelo, MS 38803, tel. 601-844-5036, fax 601-844-9176, e-mail
[email-masked], URL http://www.gocin.com/afa/home.htm.

T E R M I N O L O G I C A L L Y     I L L 

Journalists certainly appreciate "the right word."  Indeed, most newspapers
require their reporters to adhere to "style books" that detail precisely
which words to use, when, and why.  

While style guides have come far in regard to queer terminology, the
situation is remains far from perfect.  Reporters continue to utilize such
biased adjectives as "admitted" and "practicing" to describe "homosexual."
 The term "homosexual" itself, as both adjective and noun, is still used with
reckless imprecision.  

An article in the December 19 "Desert News" is headlined "Male Prostitute
Going To Prison," and the paper's staff writer uses the phrase "male
prostitute" throughout the piece.  While this gender specificity might not be
essential, it is at least preferable to "gay prostitute" -- a phrase used in
the "Charlotte Observer."  The December 21 "Observer" carries this headline:
 "Gay Prostitute Returns To University Faculty."  The article itself, written
by Associated Press reporter David Crary, uses the phrase "gay prostitute" in
the lead sentence.

Phrases like "homosexual rape" or "gay murderer" have no heterosexual
counterparts in mainstream reporting.  Such terms only reinforce phobic
associations between homosexuality and criminality.  They are also
unnecessary.  The facts in any crime story should be sufficient to indicate
sexual orientation (when it is relevant).  

Biased and inaccurate terminology also mars the December 17 "Chicago
Tribune," one of the nation's leading newspapers.  The phrase "practicing
homosexual" appears several times in staff writer Shirley Salemy's article,
"Ex-Episcopal Bishop Faces Heresy Trial For Supporting Gays."  Such
terminology arises directly from the rhetoric of homophobes, who insist that
homosexuality is merely a sex act -- a "practice" -- which, if ceased, is
"cured."

When it comes to sexual orientation, the Associated Press (AP) has had a
particularly poor style record.  To identify various minority groups, most
media outlets recognize the terminology currently used within the community
itself -- words like "lesbian" or "gay."  AP stories, however, have relied
almost exclusively on the clinical term "homosexuality."  AP reporters have
narrowly lumped lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons into the
category of "homosexuals."  As one critic of this practice, Chris Kryzan,
explains:  "This point might seem like a nit, but it is a very insidious way
of positioning us as 'things' rather than people."  

Most recently (Dec. 14), a few AP articles HAVE finally used the terms
"lesbian" and "gay" -- a first, according to Kryzan.  But it's not clear if
this change will persist.  The "new" style has yet to be applied commonly or
consistently across the many AP stories filed daily. 

Misguided style is not limited to newsprint, of course, but taints broadcast
journalism as well.  In his December 13 segment on a Chicago murder, CNN
bureau chief Jeff Flock TWICE referred to the victim's "admitted homosexual
lover" (who had been acquitted of the crime).  To describe an openly-gay
person in this way insidiously suggests that homosexuality itself is a crime
-- a dirty little secret, confessed through police interrogation or torture.

***   ACTION ALERT!   Urge the news media to adopt style guides that ensure
greater precision and accuracy -- by explicitly DISCOURAGING homophobic and
heterosexist terminology.  Contact:  "The Desert News," Box 1257, Salt Lake
City, UT 84110, fax 801-237-2121;  "The Charlotte Observer," P.O. Box 2138,
Charlotte, NC 28233, fax 704-358-5022;  "The Chicago Tribune," 435 N.
Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611, tel. 312-222-3232, fax 312-222-2568,
e-mail [email-masked];  The Associated Press, 50 Rockefeller Plaza, New
York, NY 10020, tel. 212-621-1500;  Cable News Network, 1 CNN Center,
Atlanta, GA 30348-5466, tel. 404-827-1700, fax 404-737-3323, e-mail
[email-masked].

S C H O O L   D A Z E   

In regard to textbooks and other educational media, the year closed on a
discouraging note.   Recent actions in Texas, Michigan and Indiana have
confirmed that homophobia is very much a part of the course.

In Texas, state education officials have rejected $1.85 million in federal
funds for AIDS education.  The funds were refused to protest -- and avoid --
federal guidelines regarding fair and accurate sex education.  Apparently,
Texans place substantial value on the "right" of local school boards to teach
a biased AIDS curriculum or (in the absence of funds) to teach NO curriculum
at all.  

In Michigan, the school board of Byron Center (situated a few miles from
Grand Rapids) recently stopped short of firing an openly-gay music teacher.
 However, board members did issue this hateful statement:  "The school board
firmly believes that homosexuality violates the dominant moral standard of
the district's community.  Individuals who espouse homosexuality do not
constitute proper role models as teachers for students in this district."

A similar slander was announced by an Indiana school board.  On December 19,
the East Allen County School Board adopted a resolution declaring:  "We
resolve . . . to strongly support and value those things which contribute to
and improve the stability of families . . . .  This is a denunciation of
activities such as drug use, premarital sex, violence, or gay and lesbian
behavior or the support of such activities."  

The East Allen school board concluded that:  "homosexuality is at odds with
the area's Christian beliefs."  So was the notion of a round Earth, at one
time.  It seems the lessons of history have yet to be learned by some
educators. 

***   ACTION ALERT!   Send instructive criticism to each of the following:  
                Mike Moses, Education Commissioner, Texas Education Agency,
1701 N. Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78701-1494.  Copy your correspondence to:
 Letters to the Editor, "Austin American Statesman," Box 670, Austin, TX
78767, fax 512-445-3679.
                All Members, Byron Center School Board, 2475 84th Street, SW,
Byron Center, MI 49315, tel. 616-878-1541.  Copy your correspondence to:
 Letters to the Editor, "The Grand Rapids Press," 155 Michigan Street, NW,
Grand Rapids, MI 49502, fax 616-459-4126.
                All Members, East Allen School Board, 1240 US 30 East, New
Haven, IN 46774, tel. 219-493-3761.  Copy your correspondence to Indiana's
schools chief and the state's largest newspaper.  Contact:  Suellen Reed,
State Superintendent of Schools, Indiana Department of Education, Room 229,
State House, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2798, tel. 317-232-6665, fax
312-232-9121;  "The Indianapolis Star," 307 N. Pennsylvania Street,
Indianapolis, IN 46204, fax 317-633-9423.
                Resources for activists working to reform school books and
school boards include "Saving Our Schools from the Religious Right:  The Lake
County, Florida Story" (a publication available from Saving Our Lake County
Schools, P.O. Box 492124, Leesburg, FL 34749) and the recently-updated
"Community Action Kit:  An Information Pack to Support Comprehensive
Sexuality Education" (distributed by SIECUS, 130 West 42nd Street, Suite 350,
New York, NY 10036, tel. 212-819-9770, fax 212-819-9776).

M E D I A   B R I E F S 

THE CHAMP . . .   The "Parents' Television Council" (PTC),  a conservative
media watchdog group, has issued its 1995-96 "Family Guide To Prime Time
Television."  According to the "Des Moines Register" (Dec. 26), the guide is
"bursting with finger-wagging warnings about the dangers of TV shows."  The
PTC condemns "Sisters" (NBC) because the program attempted to "champion
lesbian parenting and euthanasia."  Contact:  NBC Entertainment, 3000 W.
Alameda Avenue, Burbank, CA 91523, tel. 818-840-4444.   

CHANGING TIMES . . .  The nation's "newspaper of record," "The New York
Times," has finally overturned a long-standing (and homophobic) ban on the
use of the word "lover" in paid death notices.  Previously, the "Times" would
print only "long time companion" or "life partner."  Contact:  Arthur O.
Sulzberger, Publisher, "The New York Times," 229 W 43rd Street, New York, NY
10036, tel. 212-556-1234, fax 212-556-3622.

A QUEER ANGLE . . .  "Slant" is a free, colorful, and over-sized tabloid that
is published three times a year (March, August and November).  The
newspaper's November 1995 issue is dense with alternative journalism --
cartoons, reviews, photos, critical essays.  Included in this mix is Adam
Block's "Invisible Roots:  A Queer History of Rock" -- a welcome and
worthwhile contribution to the excavation of hidden media histories.
 Contact:  Caroline Karlen, Managing Editor, "Slant," 1809 Walnut Street,
Philadelphia, PA 19103, e-mail [email-masked].

POSITIVE PEOPLE . . .  The December 11 "People" magazine includes "No
Negatives," a brief article about Keith Lewis' unique modeling agency --
which finds assignments for models with HIV and AIDS.  Contact:  "People,"
Time & Life Building, Rockefeller Center, New York, NY 10020, fax
212-522-0794, e-mail [email-masked], URL
http://www.pathfinder.com//people/.

****************************************************

A B O U T   G L A A D . . .

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION  challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . .   shaping the forces that shape our society.

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is an
independently-incorporated, non-profit, volunteer-based, membership
organization dedicated to cultural advocacy and media activism.  GLAAD/SFBA
promotes the fair, accurate and diverse representation of lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgender lives.  GLAAD/SFBA is the largest and oldest GLAAD
chapter in the nation.

To notify GLAAD/SFBA of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request GLAAD membership information, please call our 24-hour MediAlert
Hotline  (415-861-4588) or write to:  Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel.
415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

To assist our on-going monitoring and response efforts, GLAAD/SFBA
appreciates copies of any correspondence individuals send to, or receive
from, the media.

****************************************************

A B O U T   M E D I A L E R T . . .

MediAlert  is a weekly column that may be printed, published or posted, under
this or any title, in whole or part, without prior permission.  When
appropriate, attribution should be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San
Francisco."  

MediAlerts are available by mail, e-mail or fax.  GLAAD/SFBA greatly
appreciates copies of any publications that make use of these weekly reports.

****************************************************

A B O U T   M E M B E R S H I P  .  .  .   

GLAAD's work is directly supported by our members.  Please consider joining
with us in one of the following membership categories.  All memberships
include a subscription to the monthly newsletter, "GLAAD Update."  

Indicate your choice below and mail check or credit card information to:
 GLAAD/SFBA, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, Attn:
 Membership.

(  )  $ 5  Youth Membership (18 and under)
(  )  $ 35  Basic Membership
(  )  $50  Household Membership
(  )  $100  Institutional Membership (community
organizations/media/businesses)
(  )  $250  GLAAD Guardian (includes complimentary limited-edition Project 21
 lesbian/gay/bisexual history poster)

(  )  A check is enclosed.
(  )  Please bill my
VISA # ____________________________
MASTERCARD#_____________________
EXP.  DATE:_________________________

NAME:_________________________________________________
ADDRESS:______________________________________________
CITY:__________________________________________________
STATE:______________________    ZIP:______________________
PHONE (Optional):________________________________________
E-MAIL (Optional):_______________________________________

Send me more information about . . .

(  )  Project 21 (GLAAD's educational equity/textbook reform program)
(  )  The GLAAD Phone Tree Network
(  )  GLAAD volunteer opportunities

GLAAD/SFBA is a non-profit [501(c)(3)] organization; all contributions are
tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.

****************************************************

"MediAlert" [TM] is a trademark of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.