Subject: GLAAD MediAlert, Dec. 4
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 03:06:21 -0500

________________________________________________________
INDEX:
1.  "R-E-S-P-E-C-T . . .   Just A Little Bit"  (Centers for Disease Control,
ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC)
2.  "The Tragic Kingdom" (Walt Disney Co.)
3.  "Liveshot Misfires" (Liveshot, UPN)
4.  "Media Briefs" (AFA & talk shows; Daily Dispatch; web site referrals;
Public Media Center report on homophobia & HIV; Buchanan & Gramm toll-free
numbers; Transgender Community Forum; Cornell Political Forum; black
homosexuality book; San Francisco Examiner/Chronicle's Travel With Pride;
sound and unsound bites)
5.  General Information (about GLAAD; about MediAlert; about membership)
________________________________________________________

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

       M  e  d  i  A  l  e  r  t   

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

for the week of 
December 4  - 10, 1995

by
Al Kielwasser 
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 
San Francisco Bay Area 

R - E - S - P - E - C - T . . .    J U S T   A   L I T T L E   B I T   

"Respect yourself, protect yourself" is the theme of a new series of 14
broadcast public service announcements (PSAs) released November 30 by the
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).  The new radio and
television campaign specifically targets young adults, in an effort to curb
HIV infection among 18- to 25-year olds.  

According to Department of Health & Human Services spokesperson Helene Gayle,
"The PSAs were developed with extensive input from a diverse group of young
adults representing a variety of national and community-based organizations."
 "Rather than lecturing," Gayle said, "the ads feature eight credible young
adults talking to their peers about safer sexual choices in the age of HIV
and AIDS."

Unfortunately, the CDC bowed to conservative pressures even before the new
campaign was launched, and included 3 television and 1 radio PSAs promoting
abstinence.  In these less-sophisticated (and much less-genuine) spots, young
adults parrot such familiar rhetoric as:  "The safest form of sex is no sex"
and "The next time I will have sex will be when I get married."

On a positive note, several of the new spots avoid harping on abstinence, and
some feature young, racially diverse gay men.  While the dialogue is
sickeningly subtle in regard to sexual identity (the spots do not use the
words "gay" or even "homosexual"), the message carries no pretense of
heterosexuality.  In a 30-second spot titled "Men -- Talk About It," a young
couple exchange such banter as:  "We have to talk about sex," "There's no
reason to be scared," and "If you don't practice safe sex, and I do, then
we're not made for each other, honey."

Astonishingly, the PSAs are the first gay-specific TV spots EVER produced by
the CDC.  Even more remarkable, the nation's major TV networks have been
hesitant to commit to airing these particular messages.  According to the San
Francisco AIDS Foundation, at least one network -- CBS -- has specifically
refused to air the "gay spot."

The CDC reports that every major television network has been " encouraged to
air the PSAs at those times when our target audience -- young adults ages
18-25 -- are most likely to be watching."  Anticipating resistance, however,
the CDC and the Department of Health & Human Services have also called for
community support, asking the public to "promote the ads in your community
and encourage local television and radio stations to air the PSAs."

According to the CDC, "the major commercial networks have supported CDC HIV
prevention PSAs since 1987.  The HIV prevention PSAs released in 1994 have
received over $30 million in air time."  The new and much-more controversial
PSAs have already been distributed to the networks, and will be made
available to local affiliates in January, 1996.

While far from directly-affirming, the new gay-focused spots are nevertheless
a significant media milestone.  Every responsible broadcaster should be
rushing at the opportunity to air these long-overdue messages.  

Through December 1994, the CDC received reports of 484,940 cases of AIDS.  Of
these, 250, 345 -- approximately 52% -- were men "whose sole reported risk
category was that they had sex with other men."  And of those men, 14,082
were 13 to 25 years old.  

Just how many dead gay kids DOES it take to purchase 30 SECONDS of prime time
television?

***  ACTION ALERT!  Insist that the networks do the right thing, and air the
"gay spot" regularly and prominently.  Contact:  Rolanda Lira, Community
Affairs Dept., CBS, 7800 Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90036, tel.
213-852-2345;  Teresa Samaniego, Director of Public Affairs, ABC, 4151
Prospect Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90027, tel. 301-557-4720, fax 310-557-5975,
e-mail [email-masked];  Viewer Services, NBC, 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New
York, NY 10112, tel. 212-664-3370;  Fox Broadcasting, P.O. Box 900, Beverly
Hills, CA 90213, tel. 212-556-2400.  
           Also, support the CDC's decision to release gay-specific PSAs, a
move bound to rankle the Congress of Helms and Gingrich; encourage the CDC to
move even further forward, developing campaigns that more-forcefully and
-directly combat homophobia.  Contact:  CDC National AIDS Clearinghouse, P.O.
Box 6003, Rockville, MD 20849-6003, tel. 800-458-5231.

T H E   T R A G I C   K I N G D O M

Homophobic attacks on the Walt Disney Company continue to increase.  Various
representatives of the "Religious" Right have targeted Disney for "promoting"
homosexuality in "Priest" and other movies, through annual "gay day"
celebrations at Disney theme parks, and in the company's nondiscrimination
and health benefits policies.

In response to Disney's recent decision to extend health benefits to the
partners of lesbian and gay employees, the Florida Baptist Convention (FBC)
declared that the company's "moral leadership has been eroded."  The FBC
called upon its 1 million members to "seriously and prayerfully reconsider
their continued purchase and support of Disney products."

The "Florida Times-Union" (November 17) reports the activities of one
particular bigot, the Rev. Tim Patterson, who "has used Walt Disney Co. as an
example in sermons about the moral decline of society."  According to the
newspaper:  "Members of his congregation have complained about encountering
homosexuals at Disney parks.  And the church youth group has visited the
Magic Kingdom for the last time."  "Disney is promoting a gay lifestyle, not
just condoning it," Patterson said.

In an hateful editorial headlined "Disney Shows Its Dark Side" (October 27),
the Long Beach "Press-Telegram" (which has a print run of over 155,000)
derided the Disney company for extending health benefits to "unmarried gay
and lesbian couples" and employing "a registered child molester."  "What
gives, Mickey?," the newspaper asked.     

The American Family Association (AFA) has also launched its own anti-Disney
campaign.  According to "The New York Times" (November 29), AFA members are
"organizing a boycott of Disney products and theme parks through radio,
direct mail campaigns to Christian churches and the group's publications,
which reach . . . half a million nationwide."

The Southern Baptist Convention (SBC), based in Tennessee, has joined the
growing list of Disney's critics.  The headline of a "Baptist Press"
(November 5) article announces:  "Southern Baptist Convention Leaders Protest
Disney Action For Homosexual Live-Ins."  SBC spokesperson Richard Land said,
"This lamentable decision by Disney is yet one more indication of the radical
gay rights movement's efforts to get preferential treatment for its
lifestyle."  Land added:  "Should we next expect to hear from Disney that
Mickey has left Minnie and moved in with Donald?  Is that Disney's definition
of 'family'?"

Finally, several Florida politicians have also expressed their "deep
disappointment" over Disney's decision to extend health benefits to lesbian
and gay families.  15 state congresspersons -- led by republican Bob Brooks
-- sent an open letter to Disney president Michael Eisner and the Walt Disney
Board of Directors.  "We are surprised at your belittlement of the sanctity
of marriage," the letter stated, "The media and entertainment industry may
consider this a 'politically correct' and courageous change in policy, but we
-- and others who have looked to you as the provider of wholesome,
family-oriented entertainment -- consider your decision a big mistake both
morally and financially."

***  ACTION ALERT!  Counter the rising tide of homophobic attacks and
encourage Disney to continue supporting fairness, accuracy and diversity.
 Contact:  Michael Eisner, 500 S. Buena Vista Street, Burbank, CA 91521-0990,
tel. 818-560-5300, fax 818-846-7319;  Bob Brooks, U. S. House of
Representatives, Washington, DC 20515;  Washington, DC tel. 904-488-2742;
 "The Press-Telegram," 1 Herald Plaza, Long Beach, CA 90800, fax
310-499-1277.  

L I V E S H O T   M I S F I R E S  

"Liveshot" -- a unique drama series airing on the United Paramount Network
(UPN) -- has taken up the sticky subject of outing.  "Liveshot's" November 28
broadcast revolved around closeted gay sportscaster "Lou Waller" (played by
Tom Byrd) and his reluctant decision to finally come out of the closet.

Fearing that his homosexuality was about to be revealed by a (fictional)
activist group, Waller decides to out himself -- live and on the air.  During
his newscast, Waller announces to the audience that he is, in fact, a gay
man.  However, he later discovers that the activist group never intended to
out anyone; instead, they had called their press conference to point out the
media's problematic approach to the whole subject of sexual identity (a
tactic actually used by Queer Nation some years ago).  In the end, an
anguished Waller concludes that his coming out was "for nothing."

Unfortunately, the storyline offered almost no insight into the larger social
and political forces that sustain "the closet syndrome."  The activist group
was repeatedly referred to as "fringe" and "militant."  No attempt was made
to distinguish private, working-class gays from influential, upper-class
public figures.  

While lesbians and gays ARE often FORCED into the closet in order to protect
their jobs, children or personal safety, Waller's DECISION seemed motivated
more by shame.  His conclusion -- that he came out "for nothing" -- was not
effectively challenged by any evidence of the benefits of honesty or
liberation.  

This episode of "Liveshot" betrays a problem with queer representation in
general.  Larry Gross, a media researcher at the University of Pennsylvania,
has pointed out that while some gay TV characters are neither "an attack on
our character" nor "a denial of our basic humanity," they still "could not be
mistaken for an expression of our values or perspectives."  Such characters
are intended to be "acceptable," NOT commendable.  According to Gross, these
characters are the unfortunate product of an industry that hasn't been
interested in "aiming at" the lesbian and gay audience, but "merely trying to
avoid arguing with us afterwards." 

It remains to be seen if "Liveshot's" Waller will, in subsequent episodes,
move from personal self-loathing and into a community of pride.  The time to
argue is NOW.

***  ACTION ALERT!  Compliment UPN's support for programs with lesbian and
gay characters, but encourage "Liveshot's" creators to strive for something
more than mere acceptability.  Send feedback to Dan Guntzelman and Steve
Marshall, creators, "Liveshot," Rysher Entertainment, 3400 Riverside Drive,
6th Floor, Burbank, CA 91505;  Lucy Salhany, President, United Paramount
Network, 1180 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90025, e-mail [email-masked].

M E D I A   B R I E F S   

*  TALKERS & BALKERS . . .  The American Family Association (AFA) is the
latest society of professional homophobes to join in the national attack on
television talk shows.  The November 29 "Family Issues Alert" includes an AFA
call for "monitors to help clean up trash TV talk shows.  Monitors will
compile lists of sponsors of such programs as 'Ricki Lake,' 'Montel
Williams,' 'Geraldo' and others.  AFA will publish the names of those
sponsors through press releases, newspaper ads and special mailings.  For
details, call 601-844-5036."

*  LIFE STORIES . . .  In a front-page (November 26) story, "Dispatch" staff
writer John Kanthak conducts a matter-of-fact interview -- "I Knew I Was Gay
When I Was Five" -- about growing up queer and living with HIV.   In the
first of a two-part series, Kanthak interviews Wayne Alloway, a 32-year-old,
non-celebrity, ex-cop, and resident of Davenport, Iowa.  Alloway sketches his
life story from childhood ("I got my first crush on a boy when I was in
kindergarten") to coming out ("I used to say I couldn't believe my parents
didn't know all along.  The signs were there.  I mean, my friend and I would
come home at 3 a.m. and go up to my room and shut the door.  What did they
think we were doing?  But people believe what they want to believe").
 Readers are left to like or leave Alloway, AS A PERSON.  Subversively
"mundane," this story demonstrates one of the ways the mainstream media can
usefully introduce queers to straights who still think that they "don't know
any homosexuals personally" (and whose homophobia is sustained by that very
thought).  Send letters to the editor and feedback to John Kanthak, staff
writer, "The Dispatch," 1720 5th Avenue, Moline, IL 61265, fax 309-797-0317,
e-mail [email-masked].    

*  WEB WATCH . . .   (1)  Canada's Internet World Wide Web Gay, Lesbian &
Bisexual Resource Directory recently marked one year of service
(http://www.cglbrd.com/).    (2)  Described as "a first-of-its-kind monthly
webzine for queer and questioning youth, the "Oasis" web site debuted
December 1 (http://www.outproud.org/oasis/).    (3)  For the "411" on queer
web resources, check out INFOQUEER (http://www.infoqueer.org/queer/qis/).
   (4)  According to Digital Queer Karen Wickre, the Youtharts Project is a
collaborative effort involving the talents of writer Patricia Nell Warren,
gay youth, and USC (http://spidey.usc.edu/qf/yap/index.html).    (5)  Wickre
also recommends Lesbian.Org, "a meta-page of resources for lesbians and
feminists" (http://www.lesbian.org/).    (6)  New media continue to provide
new resources for political activism, such as "The U.S. House of
Representatives Database," available free through Max Lent's web page
(http://www.servtech.com/public/maxlent/).

*  HEALTH HAZARD . . .  A new report released by the Public Media Center
("The Impact of Homophobia and Other Social Biases on AIDS") documents the
mass media's failed response to the AIDS epidemic, particularly where gays
have been concerned.  The new report concludes that "until the issue of
homophobia is properly and adequately addressed in America, our nation is
unlikely to generate an objective, focused response to the epidemic of
HIV/AIDS."  Contact:  PMC, 466 Green Street, San Francisco, CA 94133, tel.
415-536-3313.

*  REACH OUT AND CHARGE SOMEONE . . .  A survey by the Human Rights Campaign,
which analyzed the records and rhetoric of the 1996 presidential candidates,
designates three of the men --  Buchanan, Dornan, and Gramm -- as
"extremists" who have "gone out of their way to attack lesbian and gay
Americans."  Telecommunicators interested in adding to the costs of bigotry
can call the toll-free numbers established for the campaigns of Pat Buchanan
(800-467-2846) or Phil Gramm (800-238-3755).  Queer activists are reportedly
sharing their thoughts with and about these homophobes, at Buchanan's and
Dornan's LITERAL expense.

*  E-MEDIA . . .  The "Transgender Community Forum" on America Online
(keyword:  TCF) includes resource files, links to web sites, and "a news area
for the latest media on the Transgender community."  According to Gwendolyn
Ann Smith, area coordinator for the TCF, America Online now reaches a
cumulative audience of some 4 million --  a cyber-community larger than the
city of Los Angeles.  "The TCF is seen by thousands of people daily," said
Smith, "and I would like to see that remain the case.  I take a lot of
personal satisfaction out of knowing that the TCF is helping a lot of folks
find information that would not otherwise be readily available to them."  For
more information, or to contribute press releases, articles and other news to
the TCF, e-mail [email-masked].

*  SUBMIT! . . .  (1)  The "Cornell Political Forum" is now seeking articles
for a special issue on "the politics of hatred."  Personal essays, scholarly
articles, photography and other creative work are sought on any topic within
this theme.  The deadline is December 15.  Send submissions to, or request
information from, Cornell Political Forum, Box 32, Willard Straight Hall,
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, tel. 607-256-7613, e-mail
[email-masked].    (2)  Delroy Constantine-Simms, of the University of
Hertfordshire, is seeking academic contributions to a new anthology "on black
homosexuality, from all the wide and various perspectives currently known on
the debate," including "gay racism," "homophobia in the black community," and
"equal opportunities and homosexuality."  Contact:  D. Constantine-Simms, The
University of Hertfordshire, Watford Campus, Aldenham, Aldenham Hall, Watford
WD2 8AT, London, e-mail D. [email-masked].  

*  WHAT A TRIP . . .  San Francisco's two dailies, the "Chronicle" and the
"Examiner," have begun publication  of the first lesbian and gay travel
directory to appear in a major metropolitan newspaper.  The feature was
inaugurated by Carl Dyson, an openly-gay employee of the San Francisco
Newspaper Agency.  According to Dyson, "the process of getting the idea to
print was a challenge," but the new feature fulfills his "vision of promoting
'travel with pride' amongst the worldwide community of gays and lesbians."
 "Travel With Pride" appears Tuesdays in the "Chronicle" and Examiner, and in
the combined Sunday edition as well.  Contact:  Carl Dyson, San Francisco
Newspaper Agency, 925 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel.
415-777-7378, fax 415-543-3897.  

*  SOUND BITE . . .  "Relieving the ostracism of gay Americans would
strengthen family values, no matter what the prevailing political climate may
dictate."  --  Robert MacNeil, TV journalist and father of a gay son, quoted
in the "Seattle Gay News" (November 10, 1995)

*  (UN)SOUND BITE . . .  "I had this Buddha-like revelation that there's a
whole list of things that are just distractions in our life, including
homosexuality . . . .  there is a segment of the gay population that is not
happy being gay.  All I'm putting forth is that if there is someone who WANTS
to change, it's possible . . . .Do you think I CHOSE to have back pain?  I
have no control over it.  Back pain and homosexuality are identical.  No
more, no less."  --  Shock jock and best-selling author Howard Stearn,
interviewed in "New York Magazine" (November 20, 1995) 

________________________________________________________

A B O U T   G L A A D . . .

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION  challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . .   shaping the forces that shape our society.

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is a non-profit,
volunteer-based, membership organization dedicated to cultural advocacy and
media activism.  GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse
representation of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender lives.  GLAAD/SFBA
is the largest and oldest GLAAD chapter in the nation.

To notify GLAAD/SFBA of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request membership information, please call our 24-hour MediAlert Hotline
 (415-861-4588) or write to:  Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 1360
Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-861-2244, fax
415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

To assist our on-going monitoring and response efforts, GLAAD/SFBA
appreciates copies of any correspondence individuals send to, or receive
from, the media.

________________________________________________________

A B O U T   M E D I A L E R T . . .

MediAlert  is a weekly column that may be printed, published or posted, under
this or any title, in whole or part, without prior permission.  When
appropriate, attribution should be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San
Francisco."  

MediAlerts are available by mail, e-mail or fax.  GLAAD/SFBA greatly
appreciates copies of any publications that make use of these weekly reports.

________________________________________________________

A B O U T   M E M B E R S H I P  .  .  .   

GLAAD/San Francisco's work is directly supported by our members.  Please
consider joining with us in one of the following membership categories.  All
memberships include a subscription to the monthly newsletter, "GLAAD Update."

Indicate your choice below and mail check or credit card information to:
 GLAAD/SFBA, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, Attn:
 Membership.

(  )  $ 5  Youth Membership (18 and under)
(  )  $ 35  Basic Membership
(  )  $50  Household Membership
(  )  $100  Institutional Membership (community
organizations/media/businesses)
(  )  $250  GLAAD Guardian (includes complimentary limited-edition Project 21
 lesbian/gay/bisexual history poster)

(  )  A check is enclosed.
(  )  Please bill my
VISA # ____________________________
MASTERCARD#_____________________
EXP.  DATE:_________________________

NAME:_________________________________________________
ADDRESS:______________________________________________
CITY:__________________________________________________
STATE:______________________    ZIP:______________________
PHONE (Optional):________________________________________
E-MAIL (Optional):_______________________________________

Send me more information about . . .

(  )  Project 21 (GLAAD's educational equity/textbook reform program)
(  )  The GLAAD/SFBA Phone Tree Network
(  )  GLAAD/SFBA volunteer opportunities

GLAAD/SFBA is a non-profit [501(c)(3)] organization; all contributions are
tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.

________________________________________________________

"MediAlert" [TM] is a trademark of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.