Subject: GLAAD MEDIALERT, Nov. 7
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 17:24:38 -0500

INDEX:
1.  "Deep Kissing" (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
2.  "Rating the Ratings" (When Night Is Falling, MPAA, The New York Times)
3.  "At Seventeen" (Seventeen Magazine)
4.  "Lifestyle Choices" (TV Guide)
5.  "Media Briefs" (NBC movie-of-the-week; GLSTN resources, educational
media/equity; NGLTF activism manual; World Wide Web sites; bites and kisses)
6.  General Information (about GLAAD; about MediAlert; about membership)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

       M  e  d  i  A  l  e  r  t   

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

for the week of 
November 6 - 12, 1995

by
Al Kielwasser 
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 
San Francisco Bay Area 

D E E P   K I S S I N G   

The November 1 broadcast of "Star Trek:  Deep Space Nine" ("DS9") featured
one of the most passionate same-sex kissing scenes ever to grace prime-time
television.  The "DS9" episode, titled "Rejoined," centered on the alien
"symbiot" (or "Trill") known as Dax.

Dax once inhabited a male body but now lives in a female "host," Jadzia
(played by series regular Terry Farrell).  In "Rejoined," Jadzia is reunited
with Lenara -- a woman that Dax had been married to a century ago, when he
was hosted by a male humanoid.  While such obscure "Trill" history might
escape new viewers, a kissing scene involving Jadzia and Lenara was anything
but vague.  The two women lock lips (and tickle tongues) in a kiss that makes
all previous "lesbian kissing scenes" on television look like mere pecks on
the cheek.

"Rejoined" not only demonstrated a rather casual acceptance of same-gender
and bisexual relationships, but also explored the broader issue of
discrimination and taboos associated with love (it is revealed that "Trill"
culture has a taboo against association with "past-life" lovers).  Although
the episode was not specifically "about lesbians," the story line clearly
struck a responsive chord.  As one lesbian viewer -- and a self-professed
"Trek" fan -- put it:  "The kiss was great, real, and lesbian.  What a treat!
 Also, neither woman died -- this is a big deal, considering most shows I've
seen."

Other fans, however, offered more-cautious praise.  Tim Perkins, who works
with a group of lesbian and gay Trek fans known as the "U.S.S. Harvey Milk,"
agrees that "the kiss between Jadzia and Lenara was electric and I'm happy
the camera did not flinch."  But, Perkins adds, "if this is a step forward,
it is a small step.  After thirty years of 'Star Trek' and promises of
regular gay and lesbian characters, it is a very small step."  

Perkins claims that "Star Trek" producers continue to offer allegories and
metaphors about homosexuality, instead of simply introducing a full-fledged
homosexual character.  "Wouldn't it be a much more effective, direct and
courageous statement to show a gay or lesbian human being as a resident
character on 'DS9'," Perkins asks, "as an ongoing character who has a
distinctive personality and depth, who doesn't die in one episode, but grows
and changes and interacts with other members of the crew, who has a chance to
relate to a lover the way heterosexual characters do?"  He adds:  "Isn't the
fact that there are no human characters who are gay or lesbian in any
iteration of 'Star Trek' a denial of our existence?"

Shortly before he died, "Star Trek" creator Gene Roddenberry promised to
introduce a continuing lesbian or gay character into his imaginative
universe.  To date, producers have failed to fully honor Roddenberry's
death-bed wish.

***   ACTION ALERT!  Share your thoughts with Rick Berman and Jeri Taylor,
Executive Producers, "Star Trek:  Deep Space Nine," 5555 Melrose Avenue, Los
Angeles, CA 90038, tel. 213-956-5000; copy your correspondence to Kerry
McCouggage, President, Paramount Television, 5555 Melrose Avenue, Los
Angeles, CA 90038, tel. 213-956-5000 and Lucy Salhany, President, United
Paramount Network, 1180 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90025, tel
310-575-7000.  To join in a national petition drive to secure a positive,
ongoing, queer "Star Trek" character, contact Kristy Billuni, GLAAD/Voyager
Visibility Project, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103,
e-mail [email-masked] (K. Billuni) or [email-masked] (T. Perkins), URL
http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek.

R A T I N G   T H E   R A T I N G S

"When Night is Falling," a new movie from October Films, is scheduled to open
this month.  The film tells a lesbian love story that the homophobic Motion
Picture Association of America (MPAA) has deemed unfit for most audiences.  

Despite objections and a formal appeal from October Films, the MPAA has given
the movie an "NC-17" rating. The "NC-17" classification is the most
restrictive of the MPAA ratings, and effectively limits access to adults
(over 17).   The new rating also carries a popular stigma (from an
affiliation with "soft core pornography") that could cause some adults to shy
away as well.  To date, most mainstream producers have viewed the NC-17
rating as a detriment to a film's financial and popular success.

"When Night is Falling" focuses on a theology professor, whose chance meeting
with a circus performer leads to romance -- LESBIAN romance.  The film
includes two love-making scenes that are no more graphic or gratuitous than
similar HETEROSEXUAL scenes routinely included in "PG-13" and "R" rated
movies.

"It is our strong belief that if these two scenes had involved heterosexual
love-making, we would have received the less restrictive 'R' rating," said
October Films executive Amir Malin.  "It is very unfortunate, and quite
ominous, that the MPAA has opted to take this course with its rating
decision."

The MPAA's homophobia has been mirrored by "The New York Times."  The
nation's "newspaper of record" has refused to print an paid advertisement for
"When Night is Falling."  The ad depicted two figures, embracing and
partially covered by a bed sheet.

As long as homosexual love scenes are treated like nuclear waste, movie
audiences will be encouraged in their homophobia.  In a culture that
routinely  "advises," "warns" and otherwise discourages the viewing of
lesbian or gay affection, it becomes easy -- even inevitable -- to ignore,
fear or despise homosexuals.  What is censored in fiction, is censored in
fact.  

***   ACTION ALERT!  Protest the NC-17 rating of "When Night is Falling."
 Contact the MPAA, Classification and Rating Administration, 14144 Ventura
Blvd., Suite 210, Sherman Oaks, CA 91423, tel. 202-293-1966, fax
202-293-7674.  Complaints should also be directed to Lorren Elkins, Managing
Director, Advertising, "The New York Times,"  229 West 43rd Street, New York,
NY 10036, tel. 212-556-1234, e-mail [email-masked].

A T   S E V E N T E E N . . .  

Several lesbian and gay references can be found in the November issue of
"Seventeen," a magazine that targets a readership of young women.  The
popular periodical chastises censorious homophobes, supports National Coming
Out Day, and offers advice for "girls who check out stuff like kissing
together." 

In a blurb for National Coming Out Day, the magazine explains:  "This is one
of the holidays that schools don't teach about -- it's a lesser-know
celebration, to say the least.  Anyway, there are les-bi-gay teens
everywhere, in school and at home and in town and everything.  If someone
comes out to you today, or any other time, please try to support and accept
them, cuz they are just the same person they were before you knew of their
sexuality."

In another brief comment, "Seventeen's" associate entertainment editor, Sadie
Van Gelder, takes a well-deserved swipe at the CBS series "Central Park
West," which purposely re-wrote a gay character as straight.  "So does 'CPW'
stand for Censored Park West,?" Van Gelder asks.

In a longer piece, the magazine's advice column ("Ask Seventeen") addresses
this reader's question:  "Lately my best friend and I have been in an
experimenting mood, and I'm not talking science fair here.  Because she and I
were wondering what it was like, we kissed each other one night.  We hope
this doesn't';t mean we're gay.  We've never had strong feelings for each
other . . . .  Do other girls do this?"

"Seventeen's" Sarah Duncan answers:  "A lot of girls find themselves in a
situation like yours at some point -- and, no, it doesn't;t mean you're gay.
 Friends like you two, who are really close and who trust each other,
sometimes check out stuff like kissing each other because they're interested
in it or just curious about it.  It's perfectly normal."  Duncan adds:  "And
even if you feel attracted to your friend, that would be normal, too, and it
wouldn't necessarily mean that you're gay, or couldn't be attracted to boys."

Duncan takes note of the confusion that can be caused by "raging hormones"
that make it "tough to be sure about your sexual orientation."  She advises
the girls that, "because people in school cab be kind of silly about the
whole subject," it is "even easier to get really confused or feel paranoid
about what you are."

Duncan concludes with a welcome comment about those who DO know they are gay
(though she feels compelled to toss in one last "it doesn't mean you're gay"
reminder).   "Some gay people know they're gay when they're 13 (or younger)
-- others don't figure it out until they're 30," Duncan writes.  "What I'm
saying is, a little sexual experimentation with another girl does not
determine your sexuality -- it's much more complex than that."

Of course, Duncan's advice could have been a bit more "complex" itself (e.g.,
"coming out" involves more than "figuring out" you're queer).  Significantly,
no specific mention is made of "homophobia" or its role in causing
"confusion."  Duncan could have done a better job of gently -- but directly
-- challenging the girls' own homophobia ("We hope this doesn't mean we're
gay"), instead of simply reassuring them that they were probably
heterosexual.  

All-in-all, though, Duncan's advice clearly intends the right thing.
 Regardless of sexual orientation or gender, young readers are seldom told
ANYTHING about homosexuality.  "Seventeen's" up-beat, colloquial efforts are
a welcome break in the silence.

***   ACTION ALERT!  Teen magazines that address homosexuality in anything
less than defamatory terms are routinely subject to advertiser boycotts and
hate mail campaigns.  Send supportive comments to Caroline Miller,
Editor-in-Chief, "Seventeen," Editorial Department, 850 3rd Avenue, New York,
NY 10022, tel. 212-407-9700, fax 212-935-4237, e-mail [email-masked].

L I F E S T Y L E   C H O I C E S  

Over the past few years, "TV Guide" --  one of THE most-widely circulated
periodicals in the United States -- has exhibited a trend toward supporting
lesbians and gays, offering "Cheers" for fair, accurate and diverse
programming.  Still, the magazine has only begun to adequately broach the
subject of homosexuality.  Articles that COULD include lesbian, gay, bisexual
and transgender references typically DO NOT.  For example, "TV Guide's"
annual review of children's programming has NEVER considered the needs of
young queer audiences or the role that "kid vid" might (and MUST) play in
combating the ravages of homophobia.
 
The popular periodical also needs some guidance in the terminology
department.  In the November 4-10 issue, Susie Wetmore and Tom Mitchell --
authors of the "Soap Opera Guide" column -- recap the previous week's soap
opera storylines.  Their synopsis of an "All My Children" ("AMC") plot line
states:  "Michael cemented his friendship with Dixie with a confession about
his lifestyle."  

In fact, Michael -- "AMC's" new gay character -- revealed his SEXUAL
ORIENTATION.  "Lifestyle" utterly ignores the complexity of sexual
orientation.  The term plays into the hands of homophobes, who wish that
homosexuality simply could be "given up" like any other "perverse lifestyle"
(e.g., drinking, gambling, enjoying sex).

Moreover, Michael CAME OUT.  The character did not CONFESS, but REVEALED his
homosexuality.  The term "confession" -- frequently coupled with "lesbian"
and "gay" -- suggests that homosexuality is either a sin or a crime.  In the
mainstream press, by contrast, heterosexuals almost NEVER "confess" that they
are straight.  

"TV Guide" has made poor "lifestyle" choices in its program notes as well.
 The description of a recent "Seinfeld" episode also referred to a gay man's
"lifestyle," even though the plot clearly addressed his IDENTITY.

***   ACTION ALERT!  Encourage "TV Guide" to tidy up the terminology.  Send
letters to the misguided Susie Wetmore and Tom Mitchell, Soap Opera Guide,
"TV Guide," Radnor, PA 19088; copy your correspondence to Steven Reddicliffe,
Editor-in-Chief, "TV Guide," at the same address.  Also, promote editorial
inclusiveness and remind Reddicliffe -- who is new to his position -- to
consider the queer slant in routine articles.  Invite him to offer special
features (or issues!), as well; other magazines (e.g., "Entertainment
Weekly") and numerous newspaper columnists have already taken note of the
unprecedented wave of new lesbian and gay visibility on television, a
multifaceted subject that "TV Guide" is well-suited to explore.

M E D I A   B R I E F S   

*  BE REAL . . .  Bunim/Murray Productions (BMP), producers of MTV's "Real
World" and "Road Rules" series, is currently conducting a nationwide search
for people who have real-life high-school reunion stories to tell.  The
stories and their tellers will serve as the basis for a two-hour documentary,
which will air as an NBC movie-of-the week.  Producer Jon Murray said:  "We'd
love to include the story of a lesbian or gay person who either came out to
their friends during high school or who has since come out, but has not
reconnected with their high school friends to tell them."  Participants will
be compensated.  Contact:  BMP, tel. 213-965-8796, fax  213-965-0932, e-mail
[email-masked], URL http://www.primenet.com/~reunion.

*  TEXTBOOK ACTIVISM . . .  "What You Can Do:  Ideas & Resources for
Educators Working to End Homophobia in Schools" is a concise, suggestive
guide to books, films, organizations and more.  This reference is provided by
the Gay, Lesbian, & Straight Teachers Network (GLSTN), 122 West 26th Street,
Suite 1100, New York, NY 10001, tel. 212-727-0135, e-mail [email-masked],
URL http://www.glstn.org/freedom/.

*  BY THE BOOKLET . . .  "To Have and To Hold" is the latest activist manual
published by the National Gay & Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF).  Subtitled
"Organizing for Our Right to Marry," the new 24-page booklet is billed as "a
comprehensive, easy to use, activist-friendly work kit for educating and
organizing your community."  Contact:  NGLTF, 2320 17th Street, NW,
Washington, DC 20009-2702, tel. 202-332-6483(ext. 3327), fax 202-332-0207,
e-mail [email-masked], URL http://www.ngltf.org.

*  WEB WATCH . . .  

 1--A new site on the World Wide Web features information about "Gay Day at
Walt Disney World," one of the many "evil" events that have recently earned
Disney the organized scorn of homophobes across the nation
(http://www.gayday.com).  

 2--Queer News From Australia:  Brendon Wickham produces a web page for
"Brother Sister," out of Melbourne
(http://werple.mira.net.au/~leto/news/index.html).  

 3--Ads for programs broadcast on the NBC television network now invite
viewers to "Check out NBC on the Internet!" (http://www.nbc.com).  

 4--"Electronic red ribbons" are just some of the items that can be found at
a new World AIDS Day site (http://www.wad.hea.org.uk/wad/).  

 5--The Internet Movie Database (http://www.msstate.edu/Movies/) provides a
"list of famous married couples, past & present"
(http://www.msstate.edu/Movies/couples.html) and the site managers welcome
the names of lesbian, gay or bisexual couples that should be included.  

 6--The Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Teachers Network (GLSTN) has launched a
new web site, offering "resources to educators, students, parents, and
community activists on how to create change in their schools"
(http://www.glstn.org/freedom/).  

 7--Modeled on successful "Day Without Art" and "Day Without Light"
campaigns, "The Day Without Graphics" intends to bring AIDS awareness to the
Internet on World AIDS Day (http://www.cyberzine.org/html/WAD/wadpage.html);
individuals interested in linking their homepage to the effort can contact
Tom Hicks (e-mail [email-masked]) of The CyberQueer Lounge
(http://www.cyberzine.org/html/GLAIDS/glaidshomepage.html).  

 8--"Straight Jobs, Gay Lives" (a new Simon & Schuster release) has provided
the impetus for a web site that features "a bunch of highly informative gay
workplace pages" (http://www.nyu.edu/pages/sls/gaywork/).

*  SOUND BITES AND KISSES . . .  

"What's the big deal?  You don't have a problem kissing puppies, do you?
 You're playing a role, man!  I've been in acting classes when I've done that
before.  It's like doing an accent." -- Wesley Snipes, actor and "To Wong
Foo," on kissing men (quoted in "USA Today")

"I do not find myself attracted to my own sex . . . It WAS uncomfortable . .
. This is a true, serious love story, not something sensational.  This is not
like 'Roseanne' . . . ." -- Terry Farrell, actress and "Star Trek:  Deep
Space Nine" star, on kissing another woman (quoted in "TV Guide," October
7-13)

****************************************************

A B O U T   G L A A D . . .

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION  challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . .   shaping the forces that shape our society.

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is a non-profit,
volunteer-based, membership organization dedicated to cultural advocacy and
media activism.  GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse
representation of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender lives.  GLAAD/SFBA
is the oldest GLAAD chapter in the nation.

To notify GLAAD/SFBA of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request GLAAD membership information, please call our 24-hour MediAlert
Hotline  (415-861-4588) or write to:  Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel.
415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

To assist our on-going monitoring and response efforts, GLAAD/SFBA
appreciates copies of any correspondence individuals send to, or receive
from, the media.

****************************************************

A B O U T   M E D I A L E R T . . .

MediAlert  is a weekly column that may be printed, published or posted, under
this or any title, in whole or part, without prior permission.  When
appropriate, attribution should be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San
Francisco."  

MediAlerts are available by mail, e-mail or fax.  GLAAD/SFBA greatly
appreciates copies of any publications that make use of these weekly reports.

****************************************************

A B O U T   M E M B E R S H I P  .  .  .   

GLAAD's work is supported by our members.  Please consider joining with us in
one of the following membership categories.  All memberships include a
subscription to the monthly newsletter, "GLAAD Update."  

Indicate your choice below and mail check or credit card information to:
 GLAAD/SFBA, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, Attn:
 Membership.

(  )  $ 5  Youth Membership (18 and under)
(  )  $ 35  Basic Membership
(  )  $50  Household Membership
(  )  $100  Institutional Membership (community
 organizations/media/businesses)
(  )  $250  GLAAD Guardian (includes complimentary limited-edition Project 21
 lesbian/gay/bisexual history poster)

(  )  A check is enclosed.
(  )  Please bill my
VISA # ____________________________
MASTERCARD#_____________________
EXP.  DATE:_________________________

NAME:_________________________________________________
ADDRESS:______________________________________________
CITY:__________________________________________________
STATE:______________________    ZIP:______________________
PHONE (Optional):________________________________________
E-MAIL (Optional):_______________________________________

Send me more information about . . .

(  )  Project 21 (GLAAD's educational equity/textbook reform program)
(  )  The GLAAD Phone Tree Network
(  )  GLAAD volunteer opportunities

GLAAD/SFBA is a non-profit [501(c)(3)] organization; all contributions are
tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.

****************************************************

"MediAlert" [TM] is a trademark of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.