Subject: GLAAD MEDIALERT, Oct. 30
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 20:50:00 -0500

INDEX:
1.  "Daytime Drama Grows Up" (All My Children, Chris Bruno, Doug Savant)
2.  "Late Nightmare" (Late Night with Conan O'Brien)
3.  "Royko's Real Record" (Associated Press, Mike Royko, Chicago Tribune,
Rocky Mountain News)
4.  "Broadminded Broadcasting" (KFRC, hate radio, personnel policies )
5.  "Good News/Bad News" (Colorado Springs Gazette Telegraph, San Francisco
Examiner, ENDA).
6.  "Media Briefs" (InsideOUT magazine, QTV, Visa/Rainbow Card, queer
greeting cards, Atlantic Records, calls for submissions, web sites, e-media
resources, unsound bite)
7.  General GLAAD Information (GLAAD/SFBA, MediAlert, Membership)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

       M  e  d  i  A  l  e  r  t     

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

for the week of 
October 30 - November 5, 1995 

by Al Kielwasser 
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 
San Francisco Bay Area 

D A Y T I M E   D R A M A   G R O W S   U P   

In a real broadcast breakthrough, the popular daytime drama "All My Children"
("AMC") has created a continuing gay character -- "Michael Delaney" -- played
by actor Chris Bruno.  The character comes out during a November 1 episode.

Delaney was introduced into the cast about six months ago, as a Pine Valley
high school teacher.  As such, the character should allow "AMC" scriptwriters
to explore a range of urgent issues confronting queers in education -- from
the insidious presumption of pedophilia to the on-going censorship of lesbian
and gay history.

"TV Guide" covered this "landmark storyline" in the magazine's October 28
issue.  In "Pine Valley Enters the Gay '90s," "TV Guide's" soap columnist
Michael Logan correctly observes:  "The history of homosexuals on soaps has
been skimpy at best and disastrous at worst (when 'The young and the
Restless' merely hinted at lesbianism in the late 1970s, ratings took a
nose-dive).  And of the few homosexuals ever portrayed, all have been
short-term characters."

According to Logan, "AMC" will not rely on the "safety net" provided by a
short-term character.  For the time being, Delaney -- just like his
homosexuality -- is here to stay.  "AMC's" executive producer, Felicia Minei
Behr, promises that "We're not going to do a gay story and say good-bye --
this is a character with longevity."

Perhaps the only major downside to this new development is "AMC's" choice in
actors.  When producers informed Chris Bruno that his character would be
coming out, the actor reacted stupidly.  "I was, like, 'What the hell am I
gonna do here?  This is unbelievable!," Bruno told "TV Guide," "Going back to
daytime was enough of an issue for me, without having to deal with THAT.  I
didn't want to carry this torch."  He added that he feared that "many don't
separate the actor from the character."

Apparently Bruno has, like, never  heard of, like, ACTING.  However, the
air-headed dramatist claims that -- after making frantic phone calls to his
mother, brother, manager, and girlfriend Debbie Gibson (!), he was able to
face his prejudices and realize "I SHOULD do this role.  Sexual preference
should not be an issue in this world -- and I don't mind being a role model
for that."

Of course, it is more likely that Bruno realized he SHOULD eat and pay his
rent -- and that acting jobs were hardly being handed to him.  It is an
absolute insult to all gay people that Bruno "doesn't mind" the role.  He
should be PROUD to play the part.

Bruno's bad behavior contrasts sharply with that of another heterosexual soap
actor who plays a gay part.  Doug Savant -- "Matt" on "Melrose Place" -- has
always voiced the particular pride he takes in playing a role that has so
long been denied by broadcasters.  And Savant never had to get Debbie
Gibson's permission to do so.  

In fact, early in his career as "Matt," Doug Savant championed the inclusion
of gay characters on TV "to obliterate the insidious evil that is
homophobia."  Most recently, "Entertainment Weekly" magazine (October 13)
quoted Savant, who observed:  "Many actors who have played openly gay
characters have gone to great lengths to announce their heterosexuality.  I
find this behavior to be somewhat homophobic."  Too true.

***  ACTION ALERT!  While "AMC's" personnel choices leave something to be
desired, the producer deserves strong support for developing this new
character and groundbreaking storyline.  Kudos should be sent to Felicia
Minei Behr, ABC Television Network Group, 77 West 66th Street, New York, NY
10023.  Concerns about Chris Bruno can be aired publicly by writing to the
Letters Department, "TV Guide," Radnor, PA 19088 (no anonymous letters will
be published).  Supportive letters for Doug Savant can be sent to the actor
in care of Jay Michael Bloom, 9200 Sunset Blvd., Suite 710, Los Angeles
90069.

L A T E   N I G H T M A R E  

On October 23, "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" (NBC) featured a particularly
homophobic skit character, whom O'Brien introduced as "Todd, the guy who
refuses to believe I'm NOT gay."  The INTENDED humor -- perhaps amusing to
viewers whose parents are brother and sister -- involves "Todd's" relentless
demands for a date with the show's host.

In the October 23 skit, "Todd" was portrayed as an effeminate, pretentious,
predatory homosexual.  The character is totally self-involved, predominantly
interested in heterosexual men, and incapable of taking "no" for an answer.
 "Todd" badgered O'Brien to go "clubbing" with him, and threatened to use his
"silk handcuffs" if necessary.

***  ACTION ALERT!  Tell Conan O'Brien NOT to massage his heterosexual ego at
the expense of gay men's lives.  Send feedback to "Late Night with Conan
O'Brien," 30 Rockefeller Plaza, Room 901 West, New York, NY 10112, tel.
212-664-3994 (viewer comment line).

R O Y K O ' S   R E A L   R E C O R D   

The Associated Press (AP) filed an October 12 story on homophobic columnist
Mike Royko; the piece ran in the "Rocky Mountain News" under the headline
"Prize-Winning Writer Royko Now Draws Wrath of Critics."

The AP article states:  "After 36 years in the newspaper business, Pulitzer
Prize-winning columnist Mike Royko continues to call them as he sees them.
 The rich, the powerful and the well-connected are not exempt from the skewer
of the 63-year-old Royko's pen . . . .  A longtime defender of underdogs,
these days Royko finds himself under attack by critics who charge that he is
anti-gay."

Remarkably, AP does NOT quote any of these "critics."  Moreover, the wire
service incorrectly claims that "the accusations [of Royko's homophobia] stem
from a drunken-driving arrest last December in which Royko repeatedly called
a police officer a 'fag.'"  In fact, that was but one incident amongst
several in Royko's homophobic career.  Had the Associated Press bothered to
interview any lesbian or gay media activists, this fact could easily have
been acquired.

For example, Royko -- who works for the "Chicago Tribune" -- has argued in
favor of the military ban against homosexuals.  In 1993, on the pages of the
"Tribune" and "Reader's Digest," Royko whined that military leaders "know
more about what it takes to win wars than Barbara Streisand or the Gay and
Lesbian Alliance."  He expressed the usual fears about having to "shower and
sleep near" a gay soldier, and opined:  "Since we're talking about sex --
specifically a form of sex that most Americans consider morally wrong --
anybody who says it won't affect morale and discipline in the military has
never been in a barracks . . . ."

The Associated Press also understates what Royko said when he was arrested
for drunk driving.  According to the actual police report, Royko shouted such
racist and homophobic slurs as "jag off queer," "fuck you fag," "why are you
wearing those fag gloves?" and "you fucking loser, what's your ethnicity you
fag?"

***  ACTION ALERT!  Remind the AP to do a more careful job when researching
the stories it wires around the world; contact the Associated Press, 50
Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10020, tel. 212-621-1500.  Comments for Mike
Royko can be sent directly to the "Chicago Tribune," 435 N. Michigan Avenue,
Chicago, IL 60611, tel. 312-222-3232, fax 312-222-3143, e-mail
[email-masked].  Letters can also be sent to the "Rocky Mountain News,"
400 W. Colfax Avenue, Denver, CO 80204, fax 303-892-2568, e-mail
[email-masked]

B R O A D M I N D E D   B R O A D C A S T I N G   

While quick to tout their First Amendment rights, "hate radio" broadcasters
seldom discuss the RESPONSIBILITY that frees speech implies (especially when
that speech is delivered over the PUBLIC airwaves).  In San Francisco, one
radio outlet has attempted to strike a necessary balance between freedom and
responsibility.

Last year, radio station KFRC fell into disrepute for hiring a profoundly
racist and homophobic DJ.  The hate-filled DJ was finally fired after, and
the station's general manager was replaced, but only after KFRC had earned
the scorn of the community and an investigation by the San Francisco Human
Rights Commission. 

Recently -- and following many months of community education and pressure --
KFRC management has taken a strident step towards stemming the hate-radio
tide.  KFRC's owners -- Alliance Broadcasting -- have adopted a thoughtful
"On-Air Speech Policy," which the station's  employees are required to sign.

The new policy states: "Alliance Broadcasting and its affiliated radio
stations recognizes and strongly supports the constitutional right of free
speech and encourages the expression of legitimate opinions and comments on
all subjects.  We also expect our programs to be entertaining, humorous and
occasionally controversial.  the entertainment value of our programming
should not be obtained, however, by the use of comments, opinions, or humor
which pander to racial, ethnic or sexual prejudice."

The policy specifically indicates that:  "Jokes, comments, or opinions which
tend to subject individuals or groups to hatred, ridicule or embarrassment
based upon race, national origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, or
disability are unacceptable.  The station should never be put in the position
of having to apologize for slurs or insults of this nature."

***  ACTION ALERT!  Send compliments to Will Schutte, V.P. & General Manager,
KFRC AM/FM, 500 Washington Street, San Francisco, CA 94111, tel.
415-391-9970, fax 415-397-7655;  encourage your local "problem" station to
adopt similarly responsible policies.

G O O D   N E W S  /  B A D   N E W S 

Recent editorials from the "Colorado Springs Gazette Telegraph" and the "San
Francisco Examiner" are a study in contrast.  In "Our View" (October 21), the
editors of the "Gazette Telegraph" adopt a sickeningly homophobic position on
the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA).  Because Clinton supports the
act, the newspaper accuses the president of harboring "some inexorable urge
to offend broad swaths of Middle America by injecting the nettlesome
gay-rights debate into public policy."

The Colorado newspaper, which has a circulation of about 115,000, argues that
the Clinton administration suffers form "political myopia" and is "blowing
it" by supporting "a marginal, largely symbolic, highly divisive and
politically futile endeavor such as a national gay-rights law."  Of course,
most major civil rights declarations -- including the Declaration of
Independence itself -- have been labeled "highly divisive" and "politically
futile" by small minds throughout history.  But this newspaper -- which
clearly suffers from HOMOPHOBIC MYOPIA -- can't be bothered with the
historical record.

Conversely, a recent editorial by the "San Francisco Examiner" praised the
Clinton administration's decision to stand behind ENDA.  In "Presidential
Courage and Gay Rights, (October 22" the "Examiner" admits that ENDA is a
largely-symbolic effort, likely to 'get no place in this Republican-dominated
session" of Congress.  Nevertheless, the newspaper cites Clinton's support
for the legislation as "a sparkling achievement" of the "first president to
back a federal ban on job bias targeting homosexuals."  "This is an important
step toward eventually stamping out this type of discrimination," the
"Examiner" concludes.

***  ACTION ALERT!  Send feedback to The "Gazette Telegraph," P.O. Box 1779,
Colorado Springs, CO 80901, fax 719-636-0202, e-mail [email-masked]; James A.
Finefrock, Editor of the editorial Pages, "Examiner," P.O. Box 7260, San
Francisco, CA 94120, tel. 415-777-7923, fax 415-512-1264, e-mail
[email-masked].  For updates on ENDA, contact the Human Rights
Campaign, 1101 14th Street NW, Washington, DC 20005, tel. 202-628-4160,
e-mail [email-masked], URL http://www.hrcusa.org.

M E D I A   B R I E F S   

* BACK ON THE RACK . . .  "insideOUT," a ground-breaking magazine for queer
youth, is back in publication.  After a brief hiatus, "insideOUT" has been
reformed into a slick, first-rate periodical billed as "the essential queer
youth magazine."  The current issue (# 9) features a mix of news and views,
including several standout features -- "Heterosexuality Is Like your Coccyx"
(in which Halima Rajiv artfully deconstructs "the need to breed"),
"Generation Out" (in which Danny Martin "takes a look at some of the factors
prompting kids to leave the closet behind despite the risk"), and an
interview with young gay actor Wilson Cruz.  Contact "insideOUT" Magazine,
P.O. Box 460268, San Francisco, CA 94146-0268, e-mail [email-masked], URL
http://www.youth.org/io.

* FOR THE RECORD . . .  Atlantic Recording Corp. -- the largest record
company in the U.S. and part of the giant Time Warner media machine -- has
formed a "Gay Markets" division to "promote the label's artists and albums
within the gay community."  Atlantic purchased a full-page ad in the October
1995 issue of "Out" magazine, featuring two women walking hand-in-hand along
the beach and the slogan "Music for people who don't have a stereo-type."
 Contact Atlantic Recording Corp., tel. 1-800-ATLANTIC, e-mail
[email-masked] or [email-masked]

* I WANT MY QTV . . .  Rainbow Vision Productions has launched a new venture,
"QTV - Television With Pride," described as "a
gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender-oriented television show."  "QTV" aims to
"utilize the power of television to channel support and raise awareness
within our diverse community to help end prejudice and discrimination of all
types."  For details, contact Rainbow Vision Productions, P.O. Box 4366,
Berkeley, CA 94704-0366, tel. 415-956-1284 (ext. 2), e-mail [email-masked].

* WEB WATCH . . .  Information about "Trikone Magazine," dedicated to issues
involving lesbian and gay South Asians, can be accessed via the World Wide
Web (http://www.rahul.net/trikone/).  The American Civil Liberties Union
(ACLU) web site is under active construction (http://www.aclu.org).

* CONFERENCE CALL . . .  "Queer Act Queer" is an interdisciplinary conference
concerning gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and queer studies that will
take place March 22-23, 1996.  The planning committee is now seeking
proposals for papers, presentations, workshops and panels in a diverse range
of areas, including public education, film & video, homophobia, and theatre.
 The proceedings will be published and the deadline for submissions is
January 15, 1996.  Contact John L. Plews, Dept. of Modern Languages &
Comparative Studies, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB Canada, T6G 2E6,
e-mail [email-masked], URL
http://fermi.phys.ualberta.ca/~abrown/qc.html.

* CARD-CARRYING HOMOSEXUALS . . .   The Rainbow Card Foundation, a
"non-profit organization which funds causes relevant to lesbians and gays,
has issued a new Visa credit card.  Marketed with the slogan "Some credit
cards have more muscle than others," the campaign has chosen lesbian jock
Martina Navratilova as spokesperson; founding sponsor of the Foundation is
the Subaru car company.  The Rainbow Card Foundation estimates that "if just
250,000 people get and use the rainbow card . . .  more than $20 million can
be earned for lesbigay arts, cultural and civil rights organizations . . . ."
 On his national TV show, "The 700 Club," hate monger Pat Robertson has
already called for a boycott of Visa.  For more information, call
1-800-99-Rainbow; comments for Visa can be directed to Carl Pascarella,
President, VISA USA, P.O. Box 8999, San Francisco, CA 94128, tel.
415-570-3200, fax 415-378-8100,  

In other card-related news:  We Are Family has produced a new line of
greeting cards "about gay people, their relatives and friends."  Recommend
them top your local Hallmark outlet!  Contact We Are family, P.O. Box 321,
New York, NY 10024, tel. 212-799-3995.

* E-MEDIALERT . . .  To subscribe to the "ACLU Cyber-Liberties Update," send
an e-mail message to [email-masked] with "subscribe ACLU' in the subject
line. On-line transgender resources, accessible by e-mail, include the
International Conference on Transgender Law ([email-masked]), the
International Foundation of Gender education ([email-masked]), and
Transexual Menace ([email-masked]).  "Queer-e:  An Interdisciplinary
Electronic Journal of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Writing"
is free for the asking; send e-mail to [email-masked], leaving
the subject line blank and typing "info queer-e-text" in the body of the
message.

* SUBMIT! . . .   "When the Blue Bird Sings," a bimonthly magazine dedicated
to the subject of Oscar Wilde, is seeking articles and artwork.  Contact
"Bluebird," Kimberwicke Enterprises, P.O. Box 1114, St. Augustine, FL
32085-1114, e-mail [email-masked].  "Rainbow Wind" magazine, a monthly
dealing with "Lesbigays in Paganism, rituals with a Lesbigay slant, and
information on the activities of the Religious Right," continues to look for
new contributors.  The September issue features "coming out of the
broom-closet stories."  Contact "Rainbow Wind," P.O. Box 8275, Lexington, KY
40533-8275, e-mail [email-masked].

* (UN)SOUND BITE . . .   "Members of gay organizations frequently participate
in homosexual parades, where individuals march the street partially naked and
masturbate each other in front of children.  The Young Conservatives of Texas
has videotape . . . showing this disgusting behavior."  -- Doug Lord,
Executive Chair, Publicity & Public Relations, Young Conservatives of Texas
(in a letter to "The Daily Texan," October 16, 1995)

********************************************************

A B 0 U T   G L A A D  .  .  . 

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . . shaping the forces that shape our society.

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is a non-profit,
volunteer-based, membership organization dedicated to cultural advocacy and
media activism.  GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse
representation of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender lives.  GLAAD/SFBA
is the largest and oldest GLAAD chapter in the nation.

To notify GLAAD/SFBA of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request GLAAD membership information, please call our 24-hour MediAlert
Hotline (415-861-4588) or write to the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel.
415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

To support our on-going monitoring and response efforts, GLAAD/SFBA welcomes
copies of any correspondence individuals send to, or receive from, the media.

********************************************************

A B O U T   M E D I A L E R T  .  .  . 

"MediAlert" is a weekly column that may be printed, published or posted,
under this or any title, in whole or part, without prior permission.  When
appropriate, attribution should be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San
Francisco."  GLAAD/SFBA greatly appreciates copies of any publications that
make use of these weekly reports. 

MediAlert [TM] is a trademark of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.  

********************************************************

A B O U T   M E M B E R S H I P  .  .  .   

GLAAD's work is supported by our members.  Please consider joining with us in
one of the following membership categories.  All memberships include a
subscription to the monthly newsletter, "GLAAD Update."  

Indicate your choice below and mail check or credit card information to:
 GLAAD/SFBA, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, Attn:
 Membership.

(  )  $ 5  Youth Membership (18 and under)
(  )  $ 35  Basic Membership
(  )  $50  Household Membership
(  )  $100  Institutional Membership (Community organizations/media/etc.)
(  )  $250  GLAAD Guardian (Includes limited-edition Project 21
lesbian/gay/bisexual history poster)

NAME:_________________________________________________
ADDRESS:______________________________________________
CITY:_________________________________________________
STATE:______________________    ZIP:_____________________
PHONE (Optional):________________________________________
E-MAIL (Optional):_______________________________________

(  )  A check is enclosed.
(  )  Bill my  
VISA # __________________   
MASTERCARD # ____________________  
Exp. date: ________________________

Send me more information about . . .

(  )  Project 21 (GLAAD's textbook reform & curriculum advocacy program)
(  )  The GLAAD Phone Tree Network
(  )  GLAAD volunteer opportunities

GLAAD/SFBA is a non-profit [501(c)(3)] organization; all contributions are
tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.

********************************************************