Subject: GLAAD MEDIALERT, Oct. 9
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 07:19:22 -0400

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

       M  e  d  i  A  l  e  r  t     

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

for the week of 
October 9 - 15, 1995 

by Al Kielwasser 
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 
San Francisco Bay Area 

N E W S   W E A K N E S S   

Just a day before arguments began in "Romer v. Evans" -- the Amendment 2 case
-- "Newsweek" magazine had already made a major gaff .  In the magazine's
October 9 issue, David A. Kaplan provides a one-page overview of the Supreme
Court's calendar for the 1995-96 term ("This Court's Not on TV").  Though
brief, Kaplan's references to Amendment 2 are especially troubling.  He uses
imprecise terminology, makes defamatory characterizations, and completely
misrepresents the substance of the Amendment itself.

First, Kaplan reports that "over the next nine months, the justices will take
on gay rights . . . ."  He also refers to the Amendment 2 case as "the
gay-rights case," which is being defended by "gay-rights groups."  

Since gays do not (yet) posses any rights that aren't already guaranteed to
every citizen, the category of "gay rights" is rather imprecise.  In fact,
because most queers actually have far fewer rights than most heterosexuals,
it would make more sense -- or least it would refer more accurately to
reality -- if commentators discussed the many appalling "gay non-rights" that
exist in our homophobic society.  

While it would be nice if "Newsweek" and other magazines began to use terms
like "gay civil rights" or "equal rights for gays and lesbians," this lack of
precision is hardly the most serious problem in Kaplan's article.  

Kaplan observes:  "Gay-rights groups hope for a victory as significant as
'Brown v. Board of Education' was to blacks in 1954."  "Even so," he
announces, "the case won't be as significant as others that come before the
court.  The new term likely marks the beginning of a judicial period when
single issues like abortion or gay rights no longer will dominate."  

Kaplan's dismissive tone is as insulting as it is misinformed.  The Amendment
2 case speaks to justice, liberty, and equality -- our nation's most basic
principles.  It speaks as well to prejudice, intolerance, and greed -- our
country's most common pitfalls.  This case is hardly limited to "special
interests" or a "single issue."  Amendment 2 threatens all of us.

Kaplan suggests that "single issue cases" are somehow less important than
those that concern the "whole" nation and involve the interests of
"everybody."  It appears, however, as if he might be confusing "everybody"
with "himself."  There is, unfortunately, a tendency amongst heterosexual men
(especially white heterosexual men) to see their own "special interests" as
global concerns.  Characterizing the concerns of queers ("Romer v. Evans"),
 women ("Roe v. Wade"), and people of color ("Brown v. Board of Education")
as "special interest" is a media bias that can only be seen as racist, sexist
and homophobic.  

Finally, the worst part of the "Newsweek" article involves Kaplan's
definition of Amendment 2.  He writes:  "The gay-rights case, to be argued
Oct. 10, gives the court its first chance since 1986 to rule on the
constitutional rights of homosexuals.  The issue:  Colorado's Amendment 2,
passed by voters in 1992, which prohibited the state government or
municipalities from passing special protection for gays.  The justices have
to decide if that kind of exclusion denies gays 'equal protection.'"

Kaplan is shockingly wrong.  Amendment 2 says NOTHING about "special
protection for gays."  Instead, the language of the Amendment would expose
lesbians, gays and bisexuals to SPECIAL PERSECUTION.  Kaplan fails to grasp
this point, even though he appears to understand (almost) that the legal
issue before the court is whether or not such legislation violates the "Equal
Protection" clause of the United States Constitution.  

By way of contrast, "Newsweek's" definition of Amendment 2 is far less
accurate than "USA Today's" ("Across The USA," September 26).  The newspaper
reported:  "U.S. Supreme Court Justices will hear arguments Oct. 10 on why
Amendment 2, which says gays cannot be protected from discrimination, should
become part of the state constitution . . . ."

"Newsweek's" definition is not merely wrong it what is says, but also in what
it does not say.  Kaplan never explains that Amendment 2 would effectively
prohibit lesbians, gays and bisexuals from having any minority status or
"claim of discrimination."  He does not mention that, if Amendment 2 is NOT
ruled unconstitutional, Colorado citizens will be fired from their jobs,
evicted from their homes, and kept out of their schools -- simply because
they are queer.  There is nothing particularly "special" about the right to
food and shelter.  

Perhaps Kaplan's use of the phrase "special protection" is most disturbing
because it represents a direct capitulation to the campaign of misinformation
being waged by homophobes.  The concept of "special protections" and "special
rights" was invented by these bigots to promote hate legislation that, in
fact, denies equal rights and promotes special persecutions.  Now, the hate
mongers have succeeded in putting their Big Lie  -- unchallenged, and in tact
-- into the mouth of an "objective" reporter, writing for one of the nation's
most widely-read news magazines.

***   ACTION ITEM!:  Let "Newsweek's" editor know that his reporters are
parroting homophobic lies.  Demand a timely retraction; and if the magazine
insists on using the phrase "special protection," then challenge the editor
to provide even one actual example of that mythical privilege.  Contact
Richard M. Smith, Editor-in-Chief, "Newsweek," 251 West 57th Street, New
York, NY 10019-1894, fax 212-445-4120, e-mail [email-masked].

D I E S E L   D Y K E S   

Over the last few months, the Diesel Jeans & Workwear company has produced
several high-profile print ads featuring homoerotic imagery.  The company's
latest ad -- for "Diesel Shades" (sunglasses) -- bleeds across two magazine
pages with a photograph of women on the verge of a passionate kiss.  Dressed
in stylized nursing costumes and sporting bright red lips and finger nails,
the couple strikes an attractive lesbian pose.  Yet, it is the sort of pose
that can appeal to queers . . .  OR to straight men (and their incessant
belief that lesbian sex has anything at all to do with their own male
pleasure).  

Significantly, however, the women in Diesel's ad are actually wearing the
product being sold.  They are NOT being used as mere props, intended solely
to attract a straight male gaze toward machine guns or athletic supporters. 

In another recent ad, Diesel clothing is hung upon a number of colorful
characters.  At one end of the scene, a group of women is ogling a
scantily-clad man.  At the other end, we see two women who are clearly more
interested in each other.  This amorous couple pays absolutely no attention
to the stud across the way, and their complete disinterest forms the focal
point of the ad.

Last month, Diesel also featured two gay men in ads that mimicked a
well-known World War II photograph.  The men, retro-dressed in 1940's sailor
suits, were shown hugging and kissing in front of their ship.  

***   ACTION ITEM!:  Each of these advertisements is open to various
interpretations, some far less affirming than others.  However, one thing is
clear.  Given the eruption of homoeroticism, and the fact that some of these
ads have appeared in publications like "Out" magazine, the "Devil Jeans &
Workwear" company has become a likely target for Right Wing wrath.  Send
supportive comments to Diana Loguzzo, Diesel Jeans & Workwear, Diesel USA,
Inc., New York, NY 10018, tel. 212-575-8222, fax 212-944-0915.

C H R O N I C L E   O F   L O W E R   E D U C A T I O N   

Deb Saunders -- a columnist for the "Chronicle," San Francisco's leading
daily, -- has written a particularly offensive opus to one of the city's
worst homophobes.  In the process, she provides a case study in media bias;
unfortunately, the faults that warp Saunders' column are common throughout
much of the press on "sex education."

In her column ("You Tell me -- Who Is The Zealot?," September 29), Saunders
generally defends -- and ultimately furthers -- the cause of CENSORING
homosexuality in our public schools.  In particular, defends the interests of
Bruce Budnick who, for the past three years, has waged a campaign against two
San Francisco teachers.  Budnick claims that in 1992, in his daughter's
sixth-grade class, these teachers allowed a lesbian and gay man to discuss
their "private" sex lives. 

With knee-jerk horror, Saunders reports that one guest speaker -- the lesbian
-- may actually have used the word "dildo."  The other speaker, purportedly,
detailed his personal sexual fantasies, which involved oral sex and sailors.

While Saunders carefully reports such salacious rumors, she overlooks several
key facts.  The presentation was actually brief one -- about 55 minutes --
and focused almost entirely on issues of homophobia and hate violence.  With
no prompting or direction, some students DID ask a few questions about sexual
behavior.  Those questions -- which followed the main presentation -- were
answered honestly, NOT luridly.  The time given to these questions amounted
to no more than THREE MINUTES.  The baseless claim that guest speakers delved
into private fantasies during that times has never been substantiated.  

Saunders also reports that, following their presentation, the lesbian and gay
man "gave out their phone numbers."  Whether they gave out business, personal
or resource numbers, Saunders does not say.  It seems she wants her readers
to speculate that these queers -- like all queers  -- intended, ultimately,
to recruit or rape.  

Of course, the speakers involved were not operating out of their own
basements, nor running some nefarious baby prostitution ring.  They were, in
fact, members of a carefully-trained team of volunteers, participating in a
highly-respected program, operated by a peerless community service
organization -- Community United Against Violence (CUAV).  

For over a decade, the CUAV Speaker's Bureau has sent volunteers into
classrooms, to dispel the homophobic myths that breed hate violence.  For
over a decade, these volunteers have restored hope, bolstered self-esteem and
(quite literally) saved the lives of countless young queers.  But Saunders
doesn't want to tell that story.  She is more concerned that -- once, in a
sixth-grade classroom, in 1992 -- a lesbian might have uttered the word
"dildo."  

Meanwhile, at every grade level and in every school district, children (and
not a few teachers) routinely hurl "faggot," "dyke" and other homophobic
slurs.  According to an American Association of University Women survey, such
slurs are the most common form of harassment in our public schools.  Yet this
MOST PREVALENT form of abuse is ALMOST NEVER the subject of community censure
OR media scrutiny.

According to Saunders, parents like Bruce Budnick have "done everything
right," a point "misunderstood" by critics.  Apparently, it is irrelevant to
Saunders that Budnick has ONLY ever complained about HOMOSEXUALITY in the
classroom.  She insists that he is NOT a homophobe, but simply a "concerned
parent."  He has "homosexual friends."

Again and again, the mainstream media cloak bigots in the mantle of concern.
 Parents like Bruce Budnick are described as "concerned," even though they
are BLATANT homophobes.  In such cases it would be EQUALLY (and probably
MORE) accurate and objective to use phrases like "bigoted parent" or
"homophobic father."  Yet, such phrases are virtually NONEXISTANT in the
mainstream press.  

"Concerned parent" Budnick was "betrayed" by his school district, according
to Saunders.  San Francisco's school board -- like many others -- requires
teachers to give advance notice of certain "controversial" presentations, so
parents and students can "opt out."  Budnick's (unsubstantiated) claim is
that he was not properly notified before the 1992 presentation on homophobia
"abused" his daughter. 

Unfortunately, Saunders never questions whether state and local laws should
encourage ANY parent to exercise the extraordinary option of removing their
children from human sexuality or hate violence lectures.  After all, the
child of parents who believe the Earth is flat would still be expected to
attend geography class.  Why should we expect anything less for the children
of homophobes?

No child should be deprived of information about sexual orientation because a
parent believes that gays are sick or sinful.  Arguably, such children
deserve that information not simply in spite BUT PRECISELY BECAUSE OF their
own parents' ignorance.

Ultimately, it is parents but CHILDREN who are betrayed by unfair,
sex-negative and homophobic "opt-out" policies.  Enforced by most school
districts, these policies reject fairness, accuracy and diversity -- the
hallmarks of quality education -- and deny EVERY child's right to a heritage
free of crippling hate and unchallenged bigotry.

***   ACTION ITEM!:  Send well-earned criticism to Debra J. Saunders,
columnist, and Matt Wilson, Editor, "San Francisco Chronicle," 901 Mission
Street., San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-777-1111, fax 415-512-8196.  For
more information about the Speaker's Bureau and other CUAV projects, contact
Lester Olmstead-Rose, Executive Director, Community United Against Violence,
973 Market Street, Suite 500, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-777-5500.
 Finally, letters are still needed supporting the two besieged teachers, who
may soon lose their jobs over the incident.  Contact the School
Superintendents for California (Delaine Eastin, Superintendent of Public
Instruction, 721 Capitol Mall, P.O. Box 944272, Sacramento, CA 94244-2720)
and San Francisco (Bill Rojas, Superintendent, San Francisco Unified School
District, 135 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94102, tel. 415-241-6121);
urge Eastin and Rojas to expend every reasonable effort to defend these
teachers' jobs and to ensure that our public schools integrate fair and
accurate information about sexual orientation at all grade levels and in all
subject areas.

S A T U R D A Y    N I G H T M A R E  ?

In his October 2 column, Steve Johnson -- television critic for the "Chicago
Tribune" -- reviews the season premiere of "Saturday Night Live" (NBC,
September 30).  Johnson specifically lambastes the show's "worst feature,"
which was "the way it paraded, almost as if by plan, a pathetic reliance on
references to homosexuality for punchlines."  

By way of evidence, Johnson lists the various offending references.  He
explains:  "Guest-host Mariel Hemingway, in the midst of introducing the new
cast, soul-kissed all the women.  Returning cast member Norm MacDonald,
playing Sen. Robert Dole, insinuated Colin Powell was gay.  Fellow returnee
David Spade, in a stinker that is to be a regular feature called 'Spade in
America,' put forth a theory that the Unabomber looks gay."  Johnson
concludes his review with a familiar question:  "Cutting-edge live comedy
program or program with only one, sneering idea in its head?  You decide . .
. "  

Whether readers agree with Johnson's opinion is perhaps less significant than
the mere existence of this particular column.  Most popular TV critics
approach homosexuality obliquely, if at all, and even then with a sort of
thoughtless caprice (almost as if the assumption were that you could say
anything about this subject and expect praise simply for saying ANYTHING AT
ALL).  Very few mainstream critics have considered television's treatment of
homosexuality as an important aesthetic, social and cultural metric.  In
Johnson's column, at least, homosexuality is neither overlooked nor separated
out from the program's other qualities, which often happens (as if it was
impossible to discuss "regular" subjects whenever queers are the topic).

Admitedly, Johnson's criticism pales in comparison to much of what is
regularly published in the queer press.  However, the significance of his
review is multiplied by the status of the "Tribune" itself.  In publication
for well over a century, the "Chicago Tribune" ranks among the nation's top
newspapers in daily circulation. 

***   ACTION ITEM!:  Encourage Johnson and other widely-read critics to
seriously -- and regularly -- examine the television's treatment of lesbian,
gay, bisexual and transgender subjects (a critical task that could be
especially useful now, given the new season's record number of queer
portrayals).  Contact Steve Johnson, "Chicago Tribune," 435 N. Michigan
Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611, fax 312-222-2598, e-mail [email-masked] (the
"Tribune" specifically welcomes letters from all parts of the country);
 Warren Littlefield, President, NBC Entertainment, 3000 W. Alameda Avenue,
Burbank, CA 91523, tel. 818-840-4444.

M E D I A   B R I E F S   

* HOMO VIDEO . . .   "Hate, Homophobia and Schools" is a new video tape
"designed around a forum of gay and non-gay . . . youth and adults discussing
what its like to grow up gay in this society."  The tape is intended to
"lessen the impact of homophobia in our society by helping teens."  Contact
NEWIST, Studio B, IS 1040, UW-Green Bay, Green Bay, WI 54311, tel.
800-633-7445.

* E-MEDIALERT . . .   "Queer News" is a new on-line magazine, originating in
Australia.  For details, e-mail [email-masked].

* CHANGING CHANNELS . . .   During a nightly newscast on WICU-TV (Erie, PA),
the anchors engaged in some casual banter about the movie "To Wong Foo."
 When asked if he planed to see the film, newscaster Chris Knowles replied:
 "If I wanted to see freaks, I'd watch 'Jerry Springer.'"  After WICU was
deluged with complaints from around the country, the Assistant Station
Manager -- Bill Knupp -- offered an on-air apology for the "inappropriate and
insensitive" remarks and promised to meet with community representatives.
 Covering the story for the "Erie Gay Community Newsletter" (October 1995),
 Michael Mahler reports:  "I think I speak for most of us who registered
protests, that we think the station has dealt with this matter in a very
acceptable manner."  "The media do pay attention to the messages they
receive, whether they are sent by mail, fax, e-mail or telephone," Mahler
added, "It's amazing what happens when people work together."  Contact
WICU-TV, 3514 State Street, Erie, PA 16508, tel. 814-454-5201, fax
814-455-0703; "Erie Gay Community Newsletter," P.O. Box 3063, Erie, PA
16508-0063, tel. 814-456-9833, fax 814-452-1392, e-mail [email-masked] or
70431,[email-masked].

* A NEW VOICE . . .   "Q-Voice Magazine" is a new lesbian/gay monthly,
serving Milwaukee and Wisconsin with news, reviews, interviews, features and
photography.  Contact "Q-Voice Magazine," P.O. Box 92385, Milwaukee, WI
53202, e-mail [email-masked],

* FUTURE FAQ . . .   "Project Brighter Future," intended to address
"self-esteem and suicide prevention for gay, lesbian and bisexual youth," is
the current video project being developed by Children's Animated Television
(CAT), a non-profit organization that produces videos for children and teens
on contemporary social issues.  CAT has just issued a "Project Brighter
Future for GLB Teens Volunteer FAQ."  To find out "how and why you should
help," request a copy by e-mail ([email-masked]) or via the World Wide Web
(http://www1.usa1.com/~furball/info/vol-faq.html/).

* SHELF HELP . . .   "A Walk on the Wild Side," a new book by Jeanette Jones,
is described as a "collection of provocative photographs of cross dressers,
drag artists and transsexuals . . . . from London to Paris to New York to
Miami Beach . . . revealing the reality behind the fantasy of drag."  Contact
Barricade Books, 150 Fifth Avenue, Suite 700, New York, NY 10011, tel.
212-627-7000, fax 212-627-7028.

* MULTI/MEDIA . . .   The first annual Multicultural Film/Video Festival
takes place December 15 - 17 in San Francisco.  The festival is sponsored by
the Bay Area Multicultural Telecommunications Association (BAMTA) and the Bay
Area Media Advocacy Coalition (BAMAC).  For more information, contact Tom
Morse (BAMAC, tel 415-541-0102) or Humberto Cintron (BAMTA, 2655 Van Ness
Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94109, tel. 415-346-8098, fax 415-346-8098).

* TO TEACH THE TRUTH . . .   The Gay, Lesbian, Straight Teachers Network
(GLSTN) will hold its second annual mid-Atlantic conference on November 4, in
Washington, DC.  The day-long conference will include more than 30 workshops
covering a wide range of issues, including educational equity and curriculum
advocacy.  For more information, contact Matt Burton (tel. 202-546-5335) or
GLSTN, 2124 Broadway, Box 160, New York, NY 10023, tel. 212-387-2098, e-mail
[email-masked].

* SOUND BITE . . .  "Question:  You believe in reincarnation.  What do you
want to come back as?   Answer:  Matt Dillon's underwear."  -- Boy George,
interviewed by Ryan Murphy, in "US" magazine, October 1995

* (UN)SOUND BITE . . .  "Theater, art, literature, cinema, press, posters,
and window displays must be cleansed of all manifestations of our rotting
world and placed in the service of a moral, political and cultural idea."  --
Adolph Hitler, in "Mein Kampf"

********************************************************

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . . shaping the forces that shape our society.

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is a non-profit,
volunteer-based, membership organization dedicated to cultural advocacy and
media activism.  GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse
representation of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender lives.

To notify GLAAD/SFBA of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request GLAAD membership information, please call our 24-hour MediAlert
Hotline (415-861-4588) or write to the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel.
415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

To support our on-going monitoring and response efforts, GLAAD/SFBA welcomes
copies of any correspondence individuals send to, or receive from, the media.

********************************************************

"MEDIALERT" is a weekly column that may be printed, published or posted,
under this or any title, in whole or part, without prior permission.  When
appropriate, attribution should be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San
Francisco."  

GLAAD/SFBA greatly appreciates copies of any publications that make use of
these weekly reports. 

********************************************************

"MediAlert" [TM] is a trademark of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.  GLAAD/SFBA is a non-profit [501(c)(3)]
organization; all contributions are tax-deductible to the fullest extent
allowed by law.