Subject: GLAAD MEDIALERT, Oct. 2
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 17:08:40 -0400

M e d i A l e r t  

for the week of 
October 2 - 8, 1995 

by 
Al Kielwasser 
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 
San Francisco Bay Area 

T H E   C O M P A N I E S   W E   K E E P   

The American Family Association -- a deeply homophobic media watchdog group
-- has launched nationwide assaults on several companies, including Disney,
MCI, and Schwab.  These new hate campaigns are detailed in the October issue
of the "AFA Journal."

Noting that "the 'AFA Journal' often reports on companies marketing to
homosexuals," the October issue reprints a question about the Schwab
investment company.  A reader writes:  "I have enclosed an article from the
'New York Times' newswire stating that Charles Schwab has supported gay and
lesbian activities and is now going after their business. It would seem this
calls for drastic action, like throwing them overboard, but I don't know what
the alternatives are. Would you address this?"

The question is answered by "expert" Austin Pryor, editor of the "Sound Mind
Investing" ("the financial journal for today's Christian family"):  "This is
certainly disappointing news. Indifferent to the lessons of several thousand
years of human history and the moral force of Judeo-Christian tradition, our
society and government has increasingly legitimized homosexual conduct . . .
 In the brokerage area, you can add Charles Schwab, Merrill Lynch,
Paine-Webber and Smith Barney. Schwab was recently one of the major sponsors
of the 19th annual San Francisco International Lesbian and Gay Film Festival.
The company also has begun testing how to use direct-mail to reach this
affluent group. . . .  "

Staff at Charles Schwab confirm that the company has been besieged with hate
mail.  For example, Bill Smith of Smith Capital Management wrote to Schwab
indicating that his clients did not wish to do business with any company that
"promotes homosexuality."  Noting the "degenerate impact of homosexuality on
people and societies." Smith questioned why Schwab would "contribute to the
promotion of a lifestyle that is estimated to be behind over 90% of AIDS
cases."  Schwab has received numerous such letters, each threatening the
company with the loss of business:  "I am morally opposed to homosexuality .
. . . ."  "I will most surely close these accounts . . . .,"  "I was
disappointed to hear of your active endorsement of gay and lesbian activities
. . . ."  Reportedly, letters of support have NOT been forthcoming.

The AFA has also attacked MCI -- the long distance telephone service -- for
"targeting homosexuals."  According to the AFA:  "MCI is offering special
discounts on long distance phone calls to businesses owned by homosexuals.
 MCI is using a direct mail campaign to cross-promote with the National Gay
and Lesbian Business Alliance (NGLBA), a new group the long distance carrier
helped found."  With homophobic horror, the AFA quotes "a letter from an MCI
account executive," which states that the NGLBA is "dedicated to furthering
the growth of the Gay and Lesbian business community."

Finally, the AFA has renewed its censorious campaign against the Disney
company, this time for releasing "Lie Down With Dogs," which is described by
the AFA as  "a homosexual film."  The AFA warns readers that:  "Disney's
Miramax film company has released a movie aimed at homosexuals, directed by
and staring a homosexual, and featuring homosexual sex . . . .  Although the
movie is rated 'R,' reviewers describe strong homosexual content in the
film's scenes and language."  

***  ACTION ALERT:  Counter the AFA campaigns!  Contact Charles R. Schwab,
Chair, The Charles Schwab Corp., 101 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA
94104, tel. 415-627-7000, fax 415-627-8894;  Bert C. Roberts, Jr., Chair, MCI
Communication Corp., 1801 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20006, tel
202-872-1600, fax 202-887-2195, tel. (TOLL FREE) 800-444-3333;  Michael
Eisner, Chair, The Walt Disney Co., 500 S. Buena Vista Street, Burbank, CA
91521, tel. 818-560-1000.  Also, send contrary complaints to Austin Pryor,
"Sound Mind Investing," 2117 Glen Eagle Drive, Louisville, KY 40222, tel.
502-426-7420; Bill Smith, Smith Capital Management, Pleasant Valley Office
Center, 12115 Hinson Road, Little Rock, Arkansas 72212-3410, tel.
501-228-0040, fax 501-228-0047.

T H U M B S   D O W N   

While movie reviews in the "Philadelphia Inquirer" might not be homophobic,
the newspaper's accompanying "Parent's Guides" leave much to be desired.
 These "guides" offer brief notations of -- presumably -- "questionable"
movie content.  The "Inquirer's" September 15 review of "Lie Down With Dogs"
is followed by this listing:  "Parent's Guide:  R  (discreet sex, profanity,
homosexuality)."  

Why should any parent be warned about homosexuality per se?  Does the
"Philadelphia Inquirer" also advise parents about films that are excessively
heterosexual (or better yet, heterosexist)?

If the "Philadelphia Inquirer" wishes to alert parents to on-screen
depictions of sex acts, so be it.  But, just because HOMOsex happens to be
the subject is no reason to single out a film for extraordinary dread or
caution.  Moreover, it appears that parents are being "guided" in regard to
movies that treat the subject of homosexuality IN ANY MANNER, with or without
the explicit portrayal of sexual behavior.  Finally, linking "homosexuality"
to such categories of content as "profanity" is also inappropriate.

This system of "parental guidance" is utterly derisive, immature and
homophobic.  It is -- in fact -- only a short step from the racist
classification schemes of the 1920s and 30s, which warned of "miscegenation"
in the movies.

***  ACTION ALERT:  Guide the reviewers in the right direction.  Contact the
"Philadelphia Inquirer," 400 N. Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19101, fax
215-854-4483, e-mail [email-masked].

T H E   B U L L E T S   O F   B I G O T R Y  

In the most outrageous assault on academic integrity since the Scopes trial,
two San Francisco teachers may be stripped of their credentials -- simply
because they allowed a lesbian and a gay man to speak to sixth-grade students
about sexual identity and hate violence.  On September 25,  the Credential
Committee of the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing recommended
revocation of the teachers' credentials in response to the complaints brought
by outspoken homophobe Bruce Budnick, who insists that his daughter was
"abused" in 1992 when the teachers did not stop guest speakers from
discussing "personal" homosexual experiences.

Budnick's case is being funded by the Rutherford Institute, a Right Wing
organization based in Virginia.  The Institute has declared that this action
represents "the first bullets fired in what we can see as a growing campaign
to eradicate such grotesque violation of parents' rights in public schools."

The recommendation of the Credential Committee must be accepted or rejected
by the full Commission on Teacher Credentialing.  The San Francisco School
District has been lukewarm in it support for the besieged teachers, but
district officials have indicated that they might appeal any ruling against
the teachers.

All across the nation, the Right Wing is vigorously attacking our public
schools, with the specific intent to censor fair and accurate information
about homosexuality.  These bullets of bigotry must be stopped.

These teachers deserve the complete and unhesitating support of the San
Francisco School District.  The decision of the Credentials Committee is
nothing but a capitulation to narrow-minded prejudice, and it must not be
allowed to stand.  There can be NO compromise with homophobia.

***  ACTION ALERT:  Demand that the full Commission on Teacher Credentialing
REJECT the recommendation of its Credentials Committee.  Insist that the San
Francisco School District defend facts rather than fears.  Finally, urge
California School's Chief Delaine Eastin -- who has vowed to combat
homophobic censors -- to speak out against this intolerable act.  Contact
Verna Dautreive, Chair, Commission on Teacher Credentialing, 1812 9th Street,
Sacramento CA 95814., tel. 916-445-7254 (press "1," then "2," then "1" for
the Professional Standards Division), fax 916-323-6735;  Bill Rojas,
Superintendent, San Francisco Unified School District, 135 Van Ness Avenue.,
San Francisco, CA 94102, tel. 415-241-6121 (copy your correspondence to Dan
Kelly, President, S.F. Board of Education, at the same address, tel.
415-241-6427);  Delaine Eastin, Superintendent of Public Instruction, 721
Capitol Mall, P. O. Box 944272, Sacramento, CA 94244-2720.

N O   E X C U S E S   

Last year, Robert Hale Ltd. published "Homosexuality:  A Guide for Parents
and Teachers."  The book by Joan Gomez has been touted as a fact-based
resource, though it is riddled with homophobic misinformation.  For example,
Gomez (who is purportedly a psychiatrist) writes that "Gay lifestyles lead to
an increased likelihood of all the sexually transmitted diseases" (p.16).
 She also reports that "Pale colours and soft materials, such as silk shirts
and corduroy are favoured away from work, rather than the austere grey/black
of the conventional male.  the gay man spends care and money on his clothes,
whether elegantly formal or comfortably casual" (p. 47).

On the subject of gay sex, Gomez claims that research reveals:  "If you go
into a gay bar . . . overtures are made within a few minutes' conversation,
with the explicit expectation that the encounter will include sex" (p. 94).
 She concludes that:  "The fabric of the gay lifestyle, at any rate up to
thirty-five, is made of casual encounters involving sex with a stranger" (p.
104) and "The big item missing from the homosexual act is the absence of
creativity.  In heterosex, there is the possibility, risk, or hope of
generating a new human being, plus a huge ongoing responsibility . . . .
 Homosexual intercourse, by contrast, is a mere pastime" (p. 113).

In response to complaints from lesbians and gays, the publisher has issued
the most outrageous excuse.  A company spokesperson recently stated:  "We are
proud to have published the book which we feel serves a real need, but would
point out that it is not intended for homosexuals."  The spokesperson added:
 "If there are any factual errors, perhaps you would care to point them out
and we will incorporate them in the next printing of the book."

***  ACTION ALERT:  Contact John Hale, Director, Robert Hale Limited,
Clerkenwell House, 45-47 Clerkenwell Green, London, EC1R 0HT, tel.
0171-251-2661, fax 0171-490-4958.

M E D I A   B R I E F S 

*  LIFE PRESERVERS . . .   Once again, the MTV network will rebroadcast "My
So-Called Life;" the series revival will kick off on October 7.  "My
So-Called Life" -- noted for including a gay teen in the cast of main
characters -- received high praise but low ratings, and was subsequently
canceled by ABC.  Kudos to:  Judy McGrath, President, MTV Networks, Inc.,
1515 Broadway, New York, NY 10036, tel 212-258-8712 or 212-258-8000, fax
212-258-8718, e-mail [email-masked]; America Online users may post comments
directly to the MTV message area on AOL (keyword "MTV").

*  FROM BAD TO WORSE . . .   Transphobic advertisements for Sauza Tequila
have featured a photograph of a bikini-clad woman with the phrase ""She's a
he" written across her chest.  The ad's tag line states:  "Life is harsh.
 Your tequila shouldn't be."  In recent magazine versions of the ad, the
woman's image is now featured on one full page, with this text over her
chest:  "She's blonde.  She's beautiful.  She's headed your way."  Turn the
page and the same image appears, with the "She's a he" phrase and insulting
tag line.  This  company has yet to understand that transphobia is bad
business.  Contact:  Janice Jarrett, Administrative Manager, Marketing
department, Domecq Importers (of Sauza Tequila), 143 Sound Beach, Old
Greenwhich, CT 06870, tel. 203-637-6500.

*  AUSSIE TV . . .   According to Gay and Lesbian Cable Television Australia
-- GALACTA -- the new pay TV service is "poised to become the world's first
television channel run by and for lesbians and gay men."  The service has
already acquired a 24-hour national license dedicated to lesbian and gay
programming, and is mow seeking "strategic alliances with program producers,
cultural organizations, advertisers, and investors worldwide."  Contact:
 Cayte Latta, Programming Director, GALACTA, P.O. Box 392, Darlinghurst NSW
2010, Australia, tel./fax 011-61-2-550-6058, e-mail [email-masked].

* E-MEDIA . . .   Journalist Rex Wockner reports that a new Internet
newsgroup for queer women has been established (soc.women.lesbian-and-bi).
 Also, a mailing list for Vietnamese lesbians, bisexuals and gays is up and
running (to subscribe, mail "subscribe vn-gblf [your e-mail address] " to
[email-masked]).

* COVERING QUEERS . . .   "Diversity & Sexuality" is the cover theme of
September-October 1995 issue of "Colors," a magazine dedicated to "Opinion &
The Arts in Communities of Color."  Contact:  Jennifer Juarez Robles, Editor,
"Colors," 2608 Blaisdell Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55408-1505, tel.
612-874-0494, fax 612-874-0086.

* (UN)SOUND BITE . . .   "In spite of the fact that the distorted media elite
is consumed with portraying homosexuality as a normal, alternative lifestyle,
most Americans are equipped with a natural, innate moral discernment that
tells them otherwise"  (Jessalyn Bailey, "citizen columnist" for "The Sun"
newspaper, P.O. Box 1059, Jackson, TN 38302).

********************************************************

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . . shaping the forces that shape our society.

Founded in 1988, the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER of GLAAD is a non-profit,
volunteer-based, membership organization dedicated to cultural advocacy and
media activism.  GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse
representation of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender lives.

To notify GLAAD/SFBA of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request GLAAD membership information, please call our 24-hour MediAlert
Hotline (415-861-4588) or write to the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel.
415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

To support our on-going monitoring and response efforts, GLAAD/SFBA welcomes
copies of any correspondence individuals send to, or receive from, the media.

********************************************************

MEDIALERT is a weekly column that may be printed, published or posted, under
this or any title, in whole or part, without prior permission.  When
appropriate, attribution should be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San
Francisco."  

GLAAD/SFBA greatly appreciates copies of any publications that make use of
these weekly reports. 

********************************************************

"MediAlert" [TM] is a trademark of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.