Subject: GLAAD MEDIALERT, Sept. 18
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 00:58:22 -0400

The GLAAD MediAlert
for
September 18, 1995

by
Al Kielwasser
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
San Francisco Bay Area

T I M E   T O   A C T   F O R   C H I L D R E N ' S   T E L E V I S I O N

In 1990, Congress passed the Children's Television Act, which requires local
broadcasters to meet the "educational and informational needs of children"
through programming that furthers "the positive development of the child in
any respect."  For the most part, these mandates have not been enforced.

Currently, officials are evaluating ways to clarify or strengthen the
programming provisions and enforcement procedures of the Children's
Television Act.  Through October 16, the Federal Communication Commission is
seeking public comment on how broadcasters can best fulfill the Act's
objectives.

Few audiences have been so neglected or ignored as lesbian, gay and bisexual
youth.  They are seldom represented on television or even recognized as
members of the viewing public.  As media critic William Henry noted,
"Children's shows never acknowledge that [homosexuality] exists, although
many adult homosexuals report having been aware of their specific sexual
identity by age four or five." 

This systematic censorship contributes directly to the suffering of young
gays and lesbians, maintaining their invisibility, isolation and
stigmatization.  Of course, heterosexual youth -- some of whom will become
parents of a lesbian or gay child --  are also not being educated about
homosexuality.  This situation surely exacerbates the national climate of
hate violence, in which lesbians and gays are the MOST frequent victims of
hate crimes and YOUNG heterosexuals are the most frequent attackers. 

Inexcusably, broadcasters continue to overlook the enormous potential of
children's television for combating homophobia.  Even multicultural programs
like "Ghostwriter" and "Sesame Street" -- which specifically aim to teach
tolerance and promote diversity -- have had NOTHING to say about
homosexuality or homophobia.  For television to meet the educational and
informational needs of ALL children, this silence must be broken.

****  ACTION ALERT!   Advise the FCC of the need for children's programming
that begins to combat -- rather than reinforce -- the horrors of homophobia,
which is certainly one VITAL way for broadcasters to fulfill the objectives
of the Children's Television Act.  Send comments, NO LATER THAN OCTOBER 16,
to the Federal Communications Commission, Office of the Secretary, 1919 M
Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20554, e-mail [email-masked].  Indicate "MM
Docket 93-48" at the top of the first page.  Additional information is
available via the Internet, at the FCC's web site (http://www/fcc/gov).

P S Y C H O   B A B L E   

The myth of homosexual predation -- which falsely conflates homosexuality and
pedophilia -- has been one of the most persistent and pernicious lies ever
told about lesbian, gay, and bisexual people.   The use of this lie might
SEEM to be on the decline, but in ways that are increasingly more subtle than
scarce, queers continue to be labeled as a community of child molesters,
hell-bent on a systematic program of kidnapping and recruitment.

In a recent issue of "The New Yorker," Lawrence Wright -- "reporter at large"
-- investigated psychotherapeutic methods used in treating violent sex
offenders ("A Rapist's Homecoming," September 8).  In his essay, Wright
claims that "rapists and sex murderers and homosexual pedophiles" are amongst
the "least promising cases" for therapy.

Significantly, Wright fails to elaborate on this odd claim.  He offers no
substantive evidence to support the notion that sexual orientation per se can
determine the success or failure of psychotherapy.  Moreover, in asserting
that "homosexual pedophiles" are specifically prone to "failure," Wright has
aligned himself with the worst of homophobic propagandists. 

The "Anita Bryant logic" is all too familiar.  In the syllogism underlying
Wright's claim, he suggests that (1) since homosexuals are pedophiles, and
(2) because homosexual pedophilia is incurable, therefore (3) homosexuals are
-- AND ALWAYS WILL BE -- a threat to children. 

Of course, competent research demonstrates that homosexuals are NOT more
likely than heterosexuals to abuse children.  Emerging studies also reveal
that HOMOPHOBIA -- rather than HOMOSEXUALITY -- is the most powerful
predictor of psychological health.

Wright is clearly wrong.  And whether this error reflects abject carelessness
or wanton homophobia, it is an obvious stain on "The New Yorkers" much-touted
reputation for precision journalism.

****  ACTION ALERT!   Ensure that a volley of critical feedback appears on
this magazine's "Letters" pages.  Write to:  In The Mail, "The New Yorker,"
20 West 43rd Street, New York, NY 10036 (brief letters are preferred, and you
must include your name, address and daytime phone number for possible
verification).

W O U L D N ' T   Y O U   L I K E   T O   B E   A   P E P P E R ,   T O O   ?

The Red Hot Chili Peppers -- one of alternative rock's most popular bands --
recently broke one of the media's most popular taboos.  Same-sex kissing
scenes (involving band members) are featured in the Pepper's latest music
video, and also in a recent cover story about the band.  

The Chili Pepper's new video, "Warped," is infused with sexual tension and
phallic bravado.  In one scene, guitarist Dave Navarro passionately kisses
lead singer Anthony Kiedis.  Later, Kiedis takes Navarro's head in his lap
and lovingly strokes his hair.  Recently-released by Warner Brothers,
"Warped" has enjoyed regular airplay on the MTV network.

Dave Navarro is also the subject of another same-sex kiss, this one depicted
on the cover of "Guitar" magazine.  For the October 1995 issue, Navarro and
fellow guitarist Flea appear in a shirtless, playful, lip-to-lip embrace.
 Inside the magazine, additional photos of Navarro and Flea illustrate a
feature story about the Peppers.  Though not kissing in any of these interior
shots, the two men do appear in several affectionate poses -- leaning head
upon shoulder, holding hands, and caressing each other's faces.

Unfortunately (but not unexpectedly), "Guitar" has now become an object of
considerable fear and loathing.  According to the "Los Angeles Times"
(September 7), "nearly 100 music stores, newsstands and chain stores around
the country are balking at selling the October issue of 'Guitar' magazine
because of its cover photo."  The "Times" reports that "the retailers
rejecting the issue include many independent musical instrument stores, but
the national distributor that provides 'Guitar' to a number of chain stores
says that Wal-Mart and Gelson's Market in Los Angeles may follow suit."

Dave Triller, owner of a New York guitar shop, told the "Times" that
"Guitar's" cover photo "turned his stomach."  Following complaints from his
customers and staff, Triller pulled the magazine off the shelves and returned
the copies to "Guitar" headquarters.  Triller also informed "Guitar" that,
because he was so "offended by two men kissing each other," he would NEVER
again carry ANY issues of the magazine.  "If I don't stand up for this it
will be worse next time," he explained.

A similar complaint was registered by Karen Tennent, publications manager of
Kent Stanton's Music store in Georgia.  Tennent also objected to the kissing
cover, which is "not an appropriate thing for a store that bases its business
on family."  "We have children coming in the store and we have had complaints
from parents," she said.  "We even had guys in our guitar department appalled
that the magazine would put trash on the front cover."

Significantly, such criticism demonstrates the gross breadth of homophobic
bigotry, since the members of the Chili Peppers actually identify as
heterosexual.  Homophobes fear and hate homosexuality and ANYTHING -- AND
EVERYTHING -- THAT EVEN "LOOKS QUEER."

Responding to the critics, Dave Navarro stated:  "I don't have a problem with
playful affection between friends.  I only have a problem with those who do."

"Guitar's" editor-in-chief, H. P. Newquist, has responded to the criticism
with "total surprise."  "Not a single person in the company, from the
publishers to the copyeditors, had any idea that people would refuse to sell
the magazine on the basis of it being homoerotic or defiling Christian
values," Newquist claimed.

Certainly, "Guitar" magazine should be supported and the homophobes should be
condemned.  Yet, Newquist also contributed (however inadvertently) to the
very homophobia that so "surprised" him.  

In the controversial October issue of his magazine, Newquist began an
editorial by asking:  "What are those guys DOING on the cover?"  He
immediately answered:  "Well, it's just Flea and Dave Navarro . . . shocking
the music world with their twisted sense of humor."  He then repeated the
point:  "As the cover shows, Navarro has definitely taken to the Pepper's
warped sense of humor."  What Navarro himself described as "playful
affection," Newquist defined as "shocking" and "twisted."

****  ACTION ALERT!   Send advice, compliments or criticism -- as appropriate
-- to each of the following targets:  The Red Hot Chili Peppers, c/o Lindsey
Gotez, 11116 Aqua Vista Blvd., Suite 39, Studio City, CA 91602, tel.
818-508-1875, fax 818-766-7102.  Judy McGrath, MTV Networks, Inc., 1515
Broadway, New York, NY 10036, tel. 212-258-8712 or 212-258-8000, fax
212-258-8718, e-mail [email-masked] (AOL users can post messages directly to
the MTV message area, keyword "MTV").  S. Robson Walton, Chair, Wal-Mart
Stores, Inc., 702 S.W. 8th Street, Bentonville, AR 72716, tel. 501-273-4000,
fax 501-273-1969.  Dave Triller, Owner, "The Only Guitar Shop," Route 9,
Clifton Park, NY 12065, tel. 518-371-1232.  H. P. Newquist, Editor-In-Chief,
"Guitar," P.O. Box 1490, Port Chester, NY 10573, tel. 914-937-8061, e-mail
[email-masked].

T V   W O R T H   T A L K I N G   A B O U T   

Featuring a large panel of bisexual youth, the September 13 "Gordon Elliott
Show" struck a much-needed blow for visibility.  The panel's diversity of
class, race and family experience -- combined with (uncommonly) respectful
treatment by host and audience alike -- made for an enlightening talk-show
hour.

Discussion topics included the reactions of parents and siblings,
groundbreaking media  portrayals, biphobia within the gay and lesbian
community, and the distinctiveness of bisexuality.  A pregnant 22-year-old
woman explained that, although she and the baby's father are monogamous 9and
both bisexual), they will not get married because they reject the unfair
privilege associated with the institution.  A young club dancer and her
former girlfriend kissed lovingly (twice!) when they were reunited on
national television.  A clinical therapist affiliated with the National
Bisexual Youth Initiative pinned the blame for "identity struggles" right
where it belonged -- not upon "confused" kids, but a confused and phobic
society.

The show's producers did NOT include a misinformed "minister" or quack
"psychologist" amongst the guests, thus avoiding the "bigots for balance"
tendency.  Too often, the mainstream media still approach any (and every)
discussion of queer identity as a refutable proposition.  Statements made by
queers are treated as essentially biased, one-sided claims in a "debate" that
-- in the name of "balance" or "fairness" -- require an "opposing point of
view."  Applied without distinction, the media's tendency to treat homophobes
as experts on homosexuality actually elevates hate to the status of reason.

****  ACTION ALERT!   Encourage television to keep talking with fairness,
accuracy and diversity.  Send supportive feedback to "The Gordon Elliott
Show,"  524  57th Street, Fifth Floor, New York, NY 10019, tel. 212-975-8100,
fax 212-975-7844, e-mail [email-masked].

C A U S E   F O R   C O N C E R N  

Concerned Women For America (CWA) is a large, well-funded organization of
professional homophobes with a particular interest in promoting anti-queer
hatred through the public schools.  This month, CWA has launched a nationwide
postcard campaign that attacks the National Education Association (NEA) for
adopting a resolution in support of "Gay/Lesbian History Month."  

In July, the NEA (a 2.2 million-member association of teachers and other
education professionals) adopted a resolution supporting the concept of "the
celebration of a Lesbian and Gay History Month as a means of acknowledging
the contributions of gay, lesbian and bisexual people throughout history."
 The NEA has previously called for textbooks that fairly and accurately
portray "the roles and contributions of gay, lesbian and bisexual people."

According to CWA's president, Beverly LaHaye, "the NEA has a long track
record of trying to take over every aspect of education in our country and
force the values and morals of the home out of our schools."  "I believe
every Christian parent in America will view this official observance of
homosexuality as a direct assault on innocent, unsuspecting children," LaHaye
said.

"With this resolution," LaHaye added, "the NEA goes on record nationwide in
its support for the celebration of gays, lesbians and bisexuals.  We must act
to ensure the innocence and purity of children we love are not destroyed.
 That's why CWA is launching an all-out effort to stop this program from
entering our schools."

Specifically, CWA members have been asked to send pre-printed postcards to
the NEA (opposing "the designation of October as Gay/Lesbian History Month")
and to their Senators (demanding an investigation into "every dollar of
federal tax money the NEA receives and to suspend all federal funds to the
NEA until they rescind their resolution declaring October Gay/Lesbian History
month").

****  ACTION ALERT!   Counter the CWA campaign by sending your own cards and
letters to Keith Geiger, President, National Education Association, 1201 16th
Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20036-3290, and The United States Senate,
Washington, DC 20510, tel. 202-224-3121.  General information about the U.S.
Senate, including members' e-mail addresses, is available on-line
(gopher://gopher.senate.gov:70/1).  

For more information about the "Lesbian and Gay History Month Project,"
e-mail [email-masked].  Additional information and resources are available
from the NEA (Division of Human and Civil Rights, tel. 202-833-4000) and
Project 21 (Kristy Billuni, tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail
[email-masked] or [email-masked]).  To keep an eye on the right, request a
FREE 3-month "trial" subscription to the homophobic magazine "Family Voice,"
published by Concerned Women For America, 370 L'Enfant Promenade, S.W., Suite
800, Washington, DC 20024, tel. 202-488-7000, 800-560-CWFA or 800-458-8797,
fax 202-488-0806.

M E D I A   B R I E F S 

* KID VID UPDATE . . .   Children's Animated Television (CAT) is a non-profit
organization that produces educational videos for children and teens,
covering such issues as AIDS, diversity, violence, and sexual identity.  This
June, CAT announced the development a new video project intended to help
prevent suicide and promote self-esteem amongst lesbian/gay/bisexual youth.
 CAT is moving steadily forward with the project, though public support has
been less than expected.  "So far," reports CAT president Claude DiDomencia,
"it's been particularly tough to raise funds for this video."  For
information about supporting this invaluable effort, contact CAT, 1492
Highland Avenue, Suite 3, Needham, MA 02192, tel. 617-449-9699, fax
617-449-2238, e-mail [email-masked], URL http://www1.usa1.com/~furball/.

* FIRST THINGS . . .   "Express Yourself:  The First Amendment" is a
multimedia Mac-compatible software program that "teaches students about their
rights and tests them on what they learn through an interactive game."  Send
requests for the diskette to Nancy Otto, Director, Howard A. Friedman First
Amendment Education Project, American Civil Liberties Union/Northern
California, 1663 Mission Street, Suite 460, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel.
415-621-2493, e-mail [email-masked].

* NEWSLETTER NEWS . . .   "Task Force Connections" is the quarterly technical
assistance newsletter of the National Task Force on AIDS Prevention; to be
added to the mailing list, just write to NTFAP, 973 Market Street, Suite
6000, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-356-8110.

*  AGENDA SETTING . . .   Transgender issues -- however significant and
newsworthy -- rank among the most "overlooked" (i.e., censored and ignored)
stories in the mainstream media.  Letters sent NOW to national and local news
media could help ensure fair and accurate coverage of the upcoming "National
Transgender Lobby Days" (October 2 and 3).  Newspaper editors and radio/TV
news directors should be encouraged to report on this important story in
particular, and to expand the range of their transgender beat in general.
  For more information, both press and public can contact the International
Conference on Transgender Law and Employment Policy, 5707 Firenza Street,
Houston, TX 77035-5515, tel. 713-723-8368, fax 713-723-1800, e-mail
[email-masked].

* WEB WATCH . . .   Media analysts and activists can find useful information
at web sites maintained by the Newspaper Association of America
(http://www.infi.net/naa/), the Electronic Privacy Information Center
(http://www.epic.org/privacy/privacy_resources_faq.html), Columbia Tristar
Television (http://www.spe.sony.com/Pictures/tv/cttv.html), POV Interactive
(http://mumford.pbs.org/pov/), Elektra Entertainment Group
(http://www.elektra.com), GLAAD (http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek/glaad.html,
or http://www.datalounge.com/glaad), Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
(http://www.igc.org/fair), World Wide Rush Limbaugh
(http://www.tiac.net/users/macgyver/pols.html), Interactive Democracy
(http://www.teleport.com/~pcllgn/id.html) and the Noam Chomsky Archive
(http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/usr/tp0x/chomsky.html).

********************************************************

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . . shaping the forces that shape our society.

Founded in 1988, the San Francisco Bay Area Chapter of GLAAD is a non-profit,
volunteer-based membership organization dedicated to cultural advocacy and
media activism.  GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse
representation of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender lives.

To notify GLAAD/SFBA of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request GLAAD membership information, call the 24-hour MEDIALERT HOTLINE
(415-861-4588) or write to Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, 1360
Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-861-2244, fax
415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

To support on-going monitoring and response efforts, GLAAD welcomes copies of
any correspondence individuals send to, or receive from, the media.

********************************************************

MEDIALERT is a weekly column that may be printed, published or posted, under
any title, in whole or part, without prior permission.  When appropriate,
attribution should be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San Francisco."
 GLAAD/SFBA greatly appreciates copies of any publications that make use of
these MEDIALERT reports.

********************************************************