Subject: GLAAD MEDIA WATCH, Sept. 1
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 23:19:04 -0400

M E D I A   W A T C H   
for
September 1, 1995

by
Al Kielwasser
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
San Francisco Bay Area

H O M O S E X U A L   D I V E R S I O N S  

The August 30th "CBS Evening News" carried a report on the first day of
school in Merrimack, New Hampshire, where the local school board has imposed
an ABSOLUTE ban on discussing, distributing or teaching ANYTHING that might
present homosexuality "in a positive light."  The CBS correspondent covering
the story interviewed a gay teenager, as well homophobic parents and school
board members, to gain their perspective on what could be the strictest
censorship code of its kind.

One school board member who backed the ban was asked if, in her experience,
information about homosexuality had ever harmed Merrimack's school children.
 When she answered "no," the reporter asked her why, then, did she think this
new ban was needed?  "Why take vitamins?" the woman replied, "It's
preventative."

A local father was also interviewed, who claimed that providing children with
information about homosexuality amounted to "promoting" the "lifestyle" and
would be the equivalent of "sending alcoholics to the local bar."  A gay teen
-- who had come under fire for wanting to list lesbian/gay resources in his
school paper -- made the sane counterpoint that information is hardly
promotion.

While CBS News focused much-needed attention on a national disgrace, this
otherwise-competent segment was marred by the reporter's closing comment.  Of
the Merrimack controversy, he concluded:  "What's not in dispute is that this
issue is diverting attention away from the schools' primary mission:
 Education."

Providing fair and accurate information about sexual orientation IS
education.  The fight against homophobic censorship is NOT a diversion from
the mission of our schools; it is the enactment of public education's primary
goal -- a search for truth.

****  ACTION:  Direct feedback to Eric Ober, President, CBS News, 524 W. 57th
Street, New York, NY 10019, tel. 212-975-4321, fax 212-975-1519 (Eric Ober)
or 212-975-2115 ("CBS Evening News").

F L I G H T Y   C O M E D Y  

The premiere episode of "The Crew" aired August 31st, and the promising new
program is one of several Fall series that include a continuing lesbian or
gay character.  The situation in this particular comedy centers on the lives
and laughs of four young flight attendants, one of whom is gay . . . or,
"heterosexually challenged," in the words of a straight colleague.

In the opening episode, Paul is set up as the object of numerous snipes from
his straight cohorts.  It appears, however, that he will be able to trade
barbs with the best of them.  Additionally, this comedy is not without a
conscientious fringe.  For example, in one scene Paul celebrates a birthday
with his coworkers.  He explains that he discovered he was gay as a Cub
Scout, though his parents knew even earlier -- at age seven, in fact, when
his father found him serving chocolate cake to Malibu Barbie from his
sister's Easy Bake Oven.  This comic picture was darkened, however, when Paul
added -- matter of factly -- that his father's reaction was to "smash the
oven mitts."  A moment of instructive silence ensued.

The producers of "The Crew" have promised that, over the course of the new
television season, Paul will develop into a well-rounded, affirmative
character.  Of course, only prime-time will tell.

****  Send supportive feedback to Marc Cherry and Jaime Whooten, Producers,
"The Crew," c/o FOX Broadcasting, P.O. Box 900, Beverly Hills, CA 90213; copy
your correspondence to Chase Carey, President, FOX Broadcasting, at the same
address, tel. 310-277-2211, e-mail [email-masked].

K I D S '   S T U F F  

In the September 1995 issue of "Child" magazine, psychologist Alex Packer
offers "straight answers to kid's tough questions" about sex.  Fortunately,
Packer's answers are not TOO straight.

In his cover story ("Everything Your Kids Want to Know About Sex . . . And
Aren't Afraid To Ask"), Packer advises parents to "think of each question
your child asks (about sex) as a great opportunity to convey your values and
to help her feel loved, well informed, and encouraged to express herself."
 The bulk of Packer's article recommends sex-positive answers to several
common questions, asked by children "from infancy through the preteen years."
 These questions range from "Mommy, how did I get inside you?" to "Daddy,
what's a condom?"

Included on Packer's list of questions is:  "Why are those men kissing?"  The
author reminds parents that "homosexuality is bound to come up as your child
listens in on conversations, observes people around him, and deals with his
own emerging sexuality."  Packer further suggests:  "Speak empathetically
about homosexuality, and you'll foster tolerance in your child and counter
society's anti-homosexual messages."  He also advises parents to tell their
children that "if you grow up to be gay, I will love you as much as I do
now."

Billed as "The Essential Guide for Today's Parents," "Child" is a monthly,
mainstream magazine carried by newsstands around the country.  "Child"
attracts a number of major advertisers, including Fisher-Price (Mattel,
Inc.), Johnson & Johnson, and the Nickelodeon cable network (Viacom
International, Inc.).

****  ACTION:  Compliment "Child's" mature journalism and encourage future
articles dealing specifically with homosexuality and homophobia.  Contact
Pamela Abrams, Editor-in-Chief, "Child" Magazine, 110 Fifth Avenue, New York,
NY 10011, e-mail [email-masked].  As usual, the magazine's advertisers are
likely targets for homophobic censorship groups; contact John W. Amerman,
Chair, Mattel, Inc., 333 Continental Blvd., El Segundo, CA 90245, tel.
310-524-2000, fax 310-524-2896; Ralph S. Larsen, Chair, Johnson & Johnson,
One Johnson & Johnson Plaza, New Brunswick, NJ 08933, tel. 908-524-0400 or
800-635-6789, fax 908-246-7409; Summer M. Redstone, Chair, Viacom
International, Inc., 1515 Broadway, New York, NY 10036, tel. 212-258-6000,
fax 212-258-6100.

R I G H T S   A N D   W R O N G S  

Hillary Clinton is under early attack by fundamentalist groups upset with her
recently-completed book, "Takes A Village," which is slated for publication
by Simon & Schuster (an arm of Viacom, Inc., and the world's largest
educational publisher).  "Focus on the Family" (FOF) is among several Right
Wing organizations lambasting the new "children's rights book.  In an August
23 "Family Issues Alert," the FOF advises readers to beware of Clinton's evil
campaign to "liberate children from their parents."  

The alert warns FOF members that Clinton's record on the "rights of children"
already includes several legal publications in which she "urges that minors
be considered as equals to their parents."  Among other blasphemies, the FOF
says, Clinton wrote (in a 1979 essay "Children's Rights:  A Legal
Perspective") that "decisions about motherhood and abortion, schooling,
cosmetic surgery, treatment of venereal disease, or employment . . . should
not be made unilaterally by parents."

The converse rhetoric of "parental rights" is bandied most vigorously by the
FOF and similar organizations whenever the subject of homosexuality is
raised.  In particular, queer youth are routinely denied information and
other resources that  -- it seems -- violate a parent's absolute right to
raise exclusively heterosexual children.  

According to this "logic," children have no right to their own history or
identity.  TV programs that fairly portray bisexual characters, textbooks
that provide factual accounts of lesbian and gay history, or pamphlets that
summarize transgender issues and resources -- ALL such media are rejected for
their intrusive involvement in "issues of family morality."

"Pro-family" legislative proposals are being pushed by the powerful Christian
Coalition, whose "Contract with the American family" demands that legislators
"return education control to the local level," "promote parent's rights" and
"free parents from increasing government interference in bringing up their
children."  Similarly, the Christian Action Network (CAN) has published
"Defending the American Family:  The Pro-Family Contract with America."  This
book calls for "an end to federal meddling in education," "defunding of the
homosexual agenda . . . and programs that promote deviant lifestyles," and
the repeal of "sex education programs, which intrude on parents; rights to
instruct their children on such matters."

****  ACTION:  The rights of children must be defended, at every turn,
against the wrongs of homophobes.  Contact Hillary Clinton, The White House,
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, DC 20500, tel. 202-456-1414
(switchboard) or 202-456-1111 (comment line); Focus on the Family, Colorado
Springs, CO 80995, tel. 1-800-A-FAMILY, fax 719-531-3385; Simon & Schuster,
1633 Broadway, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10019, tel. 800-223-2336.

G I V I N G   ' T I L L   I T   H U R T S  

The press has treated Bob Dole's homophobia as something of a surprise,
expressing a sort of editorial shock over the presidential candidate's recent
decision to refuse queer money.  These media can hardly be blamed, however,
since it was a group of gay Republicans -- the Log Cabin Club -- that
actually thought Bigot Bob might make good use of their $1000 donation.  In
fact, the nation's major newspapers merit certain PRAISE for their take on
Dole's decision to return the Log Cabin check.

The check was returned with the explanation, from Dole campaign press
secretary Nelson Warfield, that "Our policy is to decline contributions from
political groups that have an agenda that is in opposition to Senator Dole's
positions on the issues."  The "Boston Globe" was quick to point out that
Dole is not only a homophobe, but a hypocrite.  In an August 29th editorial
("Dole's Unhappy Return"), the "Globe" pointed out that "Dole has not
returned campaign contributions to Time Warner even though he deplores the
'nightmares of depravity' in the entertainment industry.  He has not returned
money to the National Rifle Association, or ripped up his membership card,
even though he does not support that organization's description of federal
agents as 'jackbooted government thugs.'"

Columnist Debra Saunders, writing in the (Republican-identified) "San
Francisco Chronicle," also condemned Dole's "bunk" excuse ("The Dole Way:  If
You're Down, Kick A Gay," August 30).  She wrote:  "If Dole returned checks
from everyone with 'an agenda that is in opposition to Senator Dole's
positions on the issues,' his campaign would be broke."  Saunders also
concluded:  "When Dole said that he wouldn't take their money, he was telling
gay Republicans that they do not belong at the table.  You don't say that to
citizens in politics, especially if their offense is not what they've done,
but who they are."

Finally, an editorial in "The New York Times" ("An Insult To Miss Liberty,"
August 29) chided Dole's "new fears of being seen as overly sensible."  "It
is early," the newspaper lamented, "but this has not been a good campaign for
symbols of tolerance."

****  ACTION:  Share your comments with H. D. S. Greenway, Editorial Page
Editor, "Boston Globe," Box 2378, Boston, MA 02170, fax 617-929-2098, e-mail
[email-masked] (letters to the editor) or [email-masked] (comments on
coverage/Ombudsman); M. Wilson, Managing Editor, "San Francisco Chronicle,"
901 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-777-1111; Howell
Raines, Editorial Page Editor, "The New York Times," 229 W. 43rd Street, New
York, NY 10036, tel. 212-556-1234, fax 212-556-3622.

M E D I A   B R I E F S  

* OUT LOUD . . .  Sales of "Out Loud" -- a new compact disc (CD), featuring
such artists as U2 and The Indigo Girls -- will benefit the International Gay
& Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC).  Contact:  IGLHRC, 1360 Mission
Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel 415-255-8680, e-mail
[email-masked].

* COLORLESS JOURNALISM . . .   "Folio" -- a standard magazine ABOUT the
magazine industry -- commissioned a recent survey of racial and ethnic
diversity in publishing.  The survey found that only 12.6 percent of magazine
staffers who responded were people of color.  Worse yet, over 70 percent of
the 211 magazines surveyed employed "no minorities at all" on their editorial
staffs.  Contact:  "Folio" Magazine, 1929 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.,
Berkeley, CA 94704, tel. 510-848-6767, fax 510-848-3812.

* GAY GOPHER . . .  The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender (GLBT) Programs
Office of the University of Minnesota operates the "Information and Referral
Database" (IRD).  The IRD utilizes the "Gopher" search program and provides
on-line access to a broad range of informational sources, organizational
listings, educational media/teaching resources, event information and action
alerts.  Contact:  GLBT Programs Office, University of Minnesota, 425 Walter
Library, 117 Pleasant Street S.E., Minneapolis, MN 55455-0110, tel.
612-625-6042, fax 612-626-9622, e-mail [email-masked].

* SINEMA . . .   According to "USA Today" (August 31), the Catholic
Archdiocese of Denver has plunked out $28,000 a month to operate a new
toll-free hot line (tel. 800-311-4222), which "gives information on which
movies are 'morally objectionable.'"

* WEB WATCH . . .  (1) "Queer News" -- Australia's "first lesbian and gay
magazine on the Internet" -- will soon be joining the World Wide Web; the new
magazine includes "local, national and international news, feature articles,
reviews and on-line resources."  Contact:  "Queer News," P.O. Box 334,
Fitzroy, Victoria 3065, Australia, e-mail [email-masked].    (2) The
Cable News Network (CNN) has launched a web site (http://www.cnn.com) that --
according to CNN President Tom Johnson -- "upholds the high standards for
fairness, completeness and timeliness that CNN has set for itself and which
the world has come to expect."    (3) A current list of participating
stations and "lots of other information" about "This Way Out" -- the
"international gay & lesbian radio magazine" show -- can now be found in the
Queer Resources Directory
(http://www.qrd.org/qrd/www/media/radio/thiswayout).    (4) The Community
Directories Homepage has been updated and refurbished
(http://www.tde.com/~directories/).

* SOUND BITE . . .  "According to Mel Gibson's press rep, the American Humane
Association approved 'Braveheart' because only mechanical horses were
speared.  Too bad gays were treated worse than animals in the movie; it seems
Gibson's heart is ANYTHING but brave"  (Ted Casablanca, columnist for
"Premiere" magazine, in the September 1995; "Premiere," 1990 South Bundy
Drive, Suite 250, Los Angeles, CA 90025, fax 310-826-5990, e-mail
[email-masked]).

* UNSOUND BITE . . .  "Senator Dole's record speaks for itself.  He strongly
opposed President Clinton's effort to lift the ban on gays in the military,
and he has used his campaign for the presidency to elevate moral issues to
the forefront of the national debate.  But we want nothing to do with those
who promote a militant agenda of hate" (Scott Reed, Dole's campaign manager,
in the August 31"Des Moines Register," hopelessly trying to explain how his
boss is a civilized homophobe . . . and not anything like that uncouth Fred
Phelps).

******************************************************************************
**********************************

LET THE MEDIA KNOW YOU'RE WATCHING!

The GAY & LESBIAN ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION challenges homophobia in and
through the mass media . . . shaping the forces that shape our society.

Founded in 1988, the San Francisco Bay Area Chapter of GLAAD is a non-profit,
volunteer-based membership organization dedicated to cultural advocacy and
media activism.  GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse
representation of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender lives.

To notify GLAAD/SFBA of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request GLAAD membership information, please call the 24-hour Media Watch
Hotline (415-861-4588) or write Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103; Fax 415-861-4893;
E-mail [email-masked]; World Wide Web
 http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

To support on-going monitoring and response efforts, GLAAD asks individuals
to forward copies of any correspondence they send to, or receive from, the
media.

MEDIA WATCH is a weekly report that may be printed, published or posted, in
whole or part without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution should
be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "GLAAD San Francisco."  GLAAD/SFBA greatly
appreciates copies of publications that make use of the MEDIA WATCH.

******************************************************************************
**********************************