Subject: GLAAD MEDIA WATCH, Aug. 11
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 23:41:51 -0400

M e d i a W a t c h
for 
August 11, 1995

by

Al Kielwasser
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
San Francisco Bay Area

A  C H R O N I C   C A S E   O F   H O M O P H O B I A  

The notorious Doctors Frankenstein and Jekyl are downright conventional when
compared to Spokane's  coroner, Dexter Amend.  On August 9, Dr. Amend held a
press conference at which he was to offer his autopsy report on the murder of
Rachel Carver, a 9-year-old Washington girl.  The girls' body had been found
near the Spokane River on June 15.  

On the day that her body was found, Carver's uncle -- Jason Wickenhagen --
was arrested; he confessed to police that he had beaten his niece to death.
 Social workers further reported that the young girl had been sexually
molested for much of her life by her father, uncle and mother's boyfriend.

At his August 9 press conference, Dr. Amend reported that he had indeed found
evidence of sexual abuse, including sodomy.  However, Amend actually BLAMED
GAYS for the abuse, NOT Carver's uncle (the ADMITTED killer!) or the other
HETEROSEXUAL men who had molested the girl.

When pressed for some explanation of his lunatic "autopsy report," Amend said
that -- despite extraordinary evidence to the contrary -- homosexuals must
have "destroyed (Rachel Carver's) life."  "All they think about is sex and
lust all the time," he told reporters.

Amend explained that the young girl had "been sodomized over and over and
sodomy is a homosexual act.  It is.  To have everybody thinking homosexuality
is OK is a bunch of baloney."  "I don't care what the political ramifications
are on this," he added flippantly.  Amend also used the occasion of the
autopsy report to "inform" the press that gays are not only to blame for
Rachel Carver's murder, but are also generally responsible for the spread of
AIDS.

Dr. Amend theorized:  "I think it (homosexuality) is an aberrant activity
that is promoted by the thoughts and sensations that are associated with the
sex acts that drive people to do . . . abnormal things and animalistic things
and as a result bring about cancers and death on the part of the recipients
and the active individuals."  

"It's a crime that we don't expose the homosexual community," Amend
concluded, "and it is not just a simple . . . aberrant activity.  It is
significant when it takes in innocent minds like this Carver gal."

That a LICENSED medical doctor and an ELECTED coroner could espouse such
nonsense is a horrific commentary on the state of professional medicine --
not only in Washington, but across the nation.  The country's medical schools
and health associations should seriously re-examine their efforts to combat
homophobic hate and ignorance.  There is simply NO EXCUSE for the likes of
Dr. Dexter Amend.

Local activists in Spokane have begun contacting Dr. Amend's office, urging
him to resign or, at least, to apologize.  A possible recall effort might
also be in the works.

***  Contact Dr. Dexter Amend, Spokane County Coroner's Office, West 1201
Broadway, Spokane, WA 99206, tel. 509-456-2296.  Send letters-to-the-editor
regarding this travesty to "The Spokesman-Review," W. 999 Riverside, Spokane,
WA 99201, tel. 509-459-5000, fax 509-459-5482 and "The Seattle Times," P.O.
Box 70, Seattle, WA 98111, tel. 206-464-3730, e-mail
[email-masked] or [email-masked].  Share your thoughts
with Spokane Mayor Jack Geraghty, 808 W. Spokane Falls Blvd., Spokane, WA
99201, tel. 509-625-6250, fax 509-625-6217.  Finally, urge the American
Medical Association to denounce Dr. Amend's gross malpractice and to support
vigorous efforts to combat medical homophobia; contact the AMA, 515 N. State
Street, Chicago, IL 60610, tel. 312-464-5000, fax 312-464-4184.

W E L C O M E   A B O A R D 

"The Crew" is a new situation comedy to be broadcast by the FOX television
network.  The series is based around the lives of four airline flight
attendants, one of whom is gay.  

"The Crew" is the creation of producer-writers (and real life gay couple)
Marc Cherry and Jamie Whooten.  "Jaime and I have a vested interest in making
sure this is a very positive portrayal," Cherry said of the show's gay
character.  Speaking to a group of television critics, Cherry added:  "We're
very thankful for the network to let us have this voice because it's not a
voice that you see on every show."  He reminded the audience that "you can't
deny the existence of gay people throughout this country . . . .  people who
have a distinct comedy voice and should be heard."

Actor David Burke will play "Paul," the gay member of "The Crew."  Cherry and
Whooten previously wrote for "The Golden Girls," where they were responsible
for creating another queer character, Blanche's gay brother.  According to
Whooten, homophobic organizations like the American Family Association (AFA)
"came after us big time" over that portrayal.  "They went after the
advertisers.  They did the whole thing," he said.

Whooten and Cherry are determined to provide a cutting-edge character in
"Paul," who -- they promise -- WILL be given a "social life."  "He will
absolutely at some point be dating," Whooten said.  But, Cherry cautioned:
 "A lot of that is going to be dependent upon, you know, does the audience
get the show?  Do they like the show?  The rule is that the more successful
your show is, the more risks you can take."

***  Early support for "The Crew" can be sent to:  Marc Cherry and Jaime
Whooten, "The Crew," c/o FOX Broadcasting, P.O. Box 900, Beverly Hills, CA
90213; copy your correspondence to Chase Carey, President, FOX Broadcasting,
at the same address, tel. 310-277-2211, e-mail [email-masked].

S O M E   F R I E N D L Y   A D V I C E 

"Ask Beth" is a syndicated advice column for teenage newspaper readers.  On
August 3, a young woman wrote:  "Dear Beth -- The more I know this boy at
school, the better I like him.  I'm 15 and he's 16."  The reader further
explained that this boy "confided in me that he is gay.  I'm so devastated!
 Whenever I am near him I want to kiss him.  Is there any way to change the
way he feels?"  The letter was signed, "Peter's Friend."

Beth Winship replied, matter-of-factly:  "No, there isn't."  She added that
"there are some bisexual people, who are attracted to both sexes, but this
doesn't seem to be Peter's situation."  Winship further advised that a
platonic relationship with Peter could be "a wonderful kind of friendship."

***  Send encouraging feedback to Beth Winship, in care of the Los Angeles
Times Syndicate, 218 South Spring Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012, tel.
213-237-5485.

U N F A I R   B O O K   F A I R 

Lesbians and gays were banned from the recent Zimbabwe International Book
Fair.  One of the largest book conventions in Africa, this year's Fair drew
exhibitors from some 120 nations.  Ironically, the theme of the Fair was
human rights and justice.

Under pressure from Zimbabwe's Ministry of Information, Posts and
Telecommunications, officials of the Book Fair barred the Gay and Lesbians of
Zimbabwe (GALZ) from participating in this year's events.  In his speech
opening the Fair, on August 1, Zimbabwe's president Robert Mugabe declared:
 "We do not believe (homosexuals) have any rights at all.  I hope the time
will not come when they will want to reverse nature and expect men to bear
children. . . .  If we accept homosexuality as a right, as is being argued by
the association of sodomists and sexual perverts, what moral fiber shall our
society ever have to deny organized drug addicts, or even those given to
bestiality, the rights they might claim they possess under the rubric of
individual freedom and human rights?"

U.S. Congresspersons Barney Frank and Maxine Waters were joined by 70 members
of the House of Representatives in sending a letter of protest to Mugabe.
 "When individuals are mistreated by government because of some basic
characteristic of their nature," Frank and Waters wrote, "human rights are
violated."  They added:  "We strongly urge you to re-examine this issue and
to follow the example of the new government of South Africa in respecting the
human rights of all people."  The Constitution of the Republic of South
Africa prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

*** To support freedom of expression and defend global human rights, contact:
 H. E. Robert Mugabe, President of the Republic of Zimbabwe, Harare,
Zimbabwe; Ministry of Information, Posts & Telecommunications, P.O. Box CY
1276, Causeway, Zimbabwe; Trish Mbanga, Executive Director, Zimbabwe
International Book Fair, 78 Kaguvi Street, P.O. Box CY1179, Causeway,
Zimbabwe, tel. 263-4-750-282, fax 263-4-751-202, e-mail [email-masked];
The Embassy of Zimbabwe, 1608 New Hampshire Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20009,
tel. 202-332-7100, fax 202-483-9326.

M E D I A   B R I E F S

* CRITICAL MASS . . .   Queer media activism seems to be paying off, perhaps
substantially, in prime-time.  In the August 1 issue of "Inside Media," Ed
Martin reports on a July "Television Critics Tour" in Los Angeles at which
ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX "unveiled" 34 new fall TV shows.  Among the noteworthy
themes, according to Martin, "was a substantial increase in homosexual
characters . . . in new series, with producers insisting that they would all
have prominent storylines and romantic relationships throughout the season."
 Keep watching! 

* LET'S GET CLINICAL . . .   Robert Bray, media activist and field organizer
for the National Gay & Lesbian Task Force, will offer "Media Action Clinics"
at the November 1995 "Creating Change" conference in Detroit, Michigan.
 These clinics are "designed for groups that want to garner better press
coverage, spin proactive messages to the media, and shape public opinion."
 Contact:  NGLTF, 2320 17th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20009, tel.
202-332-6483, ext. 3329.

* PINK ON BLUE . . .   Alan Bush, writing for "USA Today" (August 8), reports
that actor Bill Brochtrup, who plays the role of a gay secretary on "NYPD
Blue," WILL BE returning next season.  According to Bush:  "Now, Brochtrup,
31, is ready for even more air time.  Having sparked more fan mail during his
six-episode stint than any other character on the show, he's slated to be a
recurring character 'upstairs in the anti-crime unit' as 'NYPD Blue' starts
its third season."  Only this May, "USA Today" was reporting that the
character's future was in serious doubt.  Keep those (obviously effective!)
cards and letters coming!  Contact:  Steven Boccho and David Milch, Executive
Producers, "NYPD Blue," Steven Boccho Productions, 10201 W. Pico Blvd., Los
Angeles, CA 90035; copy your comments to Ted Harbert, President, ABC
Entertainment, 2040 Avenue of the Stars, Los Angeles, CA 90067, fax
310-557-7170, e-mail [email-masked].

* E-MEDIA . . .   "BillWatch:  A Weekly Newsletter Tracking U.S. Federal
Legislation Affecting Civil Liberties" is an excellent on-line resource,
published every Friday as long as Congress is in session.  To receive a copy
of the latest version, e-mail [email-masked], with "send billwatch" in the
subject line.  To get on the distribution list for "BillWatch," e-mail
[email-masked], with "subscribe vtw-announce Firstname Lastname" in the
subject line.

* WORKING (AND BEING) OUT . . .   A notable article appears in the August
1995 issue of "Men's Fitness," a mainstream health and exercise magazine.
 This issue includes Peter Gambaccini's article, "Family Ties," in which the
author examines his relationship with his gay brother, Paul.  Gambaccini
undertakes a well-intentioned effort to challenge homophobia and the closet
syndrome.  Despite a few unfortunate phrases (such as sexual "proclivities"
and "preference"), he succeeds -- especially given the (often heterosexist)
genre in which this article is printed.  Contact:  Sharon Cohen, Executive
Editor, "Men's Fitness," 21100 Erwin Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367.

* FUNDIE FAX . . .   The fundamentalist homophobes of "Focus on the Family"
receive regular "Family Issues Alerts" (for a "donation" of $45 per year),
which call them to action around various conservative causes.  In the most
recent (August 9) issue, readers are warned that "Clinton's (Executive Order
12968) giving top secret clearance to homosexuals jeopardizes national
security."  The fax cites Bob Knight, an "authority" from the Family Research
Council:  "Homosexuality has raised a red flag in security clearances because
. . . this behavior is associated with a lot of anti-security markers such as
drug and alcohol abuse, promiscuity, and violence."  The "Alert" reminds
readers that Clinton's executive order can be overturned by Congress.
 Individuals are admonished to "call, fax and write your legislators, urging
them to introduce and support legislation that overturns EO 12968."  Contact:
 Focus on the Family, Colorado Springs, CO 80995, tel. 1-800-A-FAMILY.

* SUBMIT! . . .   "Peace Review:  A Transnational Quarterly" is a journal
that publishes multidisciplinary essays in "peace studies, broadly defined."
 Topics range across "violence, human rights, culture and consciousness and
related issues."  A special Winter 1995 issue will be devoted to "Media and
Social Change."  The deadline for submissions is November 5.  Contact:
 Robert Elias, "Peace Review," Peace & Justice Studies, University of San
Francisco, 2130 Fulton Street, San Francisco, CA 94117-1080, tel.
415-666-6349, fax 415-666-2346, e-mail (Rod Watkins, Managing Editor)
[email-masked].

* AFFIRMATIVE ACTIVISM . . .   The National Lawyer's Guild of San Francisco
has begun organizing to educate the queer public about the so-called
"California Civil Rights Initiative" and other pernicious attacks on
affirmative action.  To receive a briefing packet that you can use in
broadcasting the message, contact:  Crystal Weston, tel. 415-543-9444, e-mail
[email-masked].  Also:  "United We Stand:  The Linkages Between Affirmative
Action and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Civil Rights" is a set of
talking points available from the National Gay & Lesbian Task Force, 2320
17th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20009.

* FAMILY BUSINESS . . .   On August 6, "The New York Times" advice column
"Minding Your Business" provided a detailed response to a query from a couple
who wrote in to ask:  "As a same-sex couple, we're not entitled to many of
the financial benefits enjoyed by married people.  Under the circumstances,
what can we do to better protect ourselves legally and financially?"  The
reply not only provided considerable recommendations, but also made a point
of condemning homophobic discrimination.  Contact:  Laura Pedersen, "Minding
Your Business," Money and Business, "The New York Times," 229 West 43rd
Street, New York, NY 10036, e-mail [email-masked].

* SELLING/OUT . . .   According to a recent survey by the New York-based
advertising agency Mulryan/Nash, ad spending in lesbian and gay print media
amounted to $61.6 million between May 1994 and April 1995.  At an increase of
16.2 percent over the previous year, advertising spending in the queer press
grew more rapidly than revenues in other print markets.  This increase also
exceeded national growth rates.  By comparison, overall ad revenues for the
nation's newspapers rose 6.8 percent and magazine revenues increased 13.3
percent.

* SOUND BITE . . .   "So far as I am aware, I'm conventionally a heterosexual
male.  And yet I find something quite flattering in these suggestions that
I'm something else" (Patrick Stewart in the August 22 "Advocate," discussing
his role in the new film "Jeffrey" and why he is not bothered by rumors that
he is gay).

* UNSOUND BITE . . .   "I will go on record and say that I have sexual
relationships with men only.  Why do people think that every famous person is
gay? . . .  I think it's a way of cutting you down.  It's sad, and it has to
stop.  That's why Richard has resisted answering the question for so long.
 The day that attitude changes is probably the day Richard will go on the
record" (Cindy Crawford in September's "Playboy," discussing rumors that she
and now-separated husband Richard Gere are queer).

#####################################

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN GLAAD'S WORK.
YOUR PARTICIPATION IS VITAL!

Founded in 1988, the San Francisco Bay Area Chapter of GLAAD is a
volunteer-based membership organization dedicated to cultural advocacy and
media activism.  GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse
representation of lesbian, gay and bisexual lives.  GLAAD challenges
homophobia in and through the mass media . . . shaping the forces that shape
our society.

MEDIA WATCH is a weekly report that may be reprinted or posted without prior
permission, provided that, when appropriate, attribution is made to Al
Kielwasser and/or GLAAD/San Francisco.  We greatly appreciate copies of any
publications that use all or part of the MEDIA WATCH.

To notify GLAAD/SFBA of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request GLAAD membership information, please call our 24-hour Media Watch
Hotline (415-861-4588) or write to:

GLAAD/SFBA 
1360 Mission Street, Suite 200 
San Francisco, CA 94103
   
Office phone:  415-861-2244.   
Fax:  415-861-4893.  
E-mail:  [email-masked].   
URL:  http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

LET THE MEDIA KNOW YOU'RE WATCHING!

#####################################