Subject: GLAAD MEDIA WATCH, August 4
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 1995 06:46:40 -0400

M e d i a W a t c h
for 
August 4, 1995

by

Al Kielwasser
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
San Francisco Bay Area

A D D I N G    I T    U P

Care for a little transphobia with your tequila?  That's the theme of a
recent, high-profile print advertisement appearing in various magazines.  The
ad is one of several new campaigns selling a mixed bag of queer messages --
messages that are especially sensitive to "consumer comments."

A full-page ad for Sauza "Conmemorativo" Tequila features a full-length
photograph of an attractive, bikini-clad woman.  Across her breasts, the text
reads:  "She's a he."  Beneath the photo, the ad explains:  "Life is harsh.
 Your tequila shouldn't be."  

Transgendered people do not make life "harsh" -- transphobic people do.  This
company would not (one hopes) even CONSIDER using the same image with a
slogan like "She's a Jew . . . Life is harsh."  Sauza's toast to transphobia
is no less bigoted or unacceptable.

A much more positive image can be found in the new print campaign from
Diesel, a "jeans and workwear" company.  Diesel's two-page spread is
dominated by a photograph of a Navy ship arriving at home port.  "Peace At
Last," "Welcome Home Boys," and "Victory!" signs rise above the welcoming
crowd, as streamers and confetti fill the air.  Aboard ship, a row of sailors
wave to the cheering on-lookers.  In the photo's foreground, two male sailors
stand on the dock, embracing in a passionate lip-to-lip kiss.  Both of the
men are outfitted in traditional Navy garb; a bouquet of flowers is held in
one Sailor's hand, which he wraps around his lover's back.  

This simple, yet provocative image of gay love is the focal point of Diesel's
advertisement.  Setting aside legitimate concerns about military fetishism,
the ad nevertheless portrays an act that most mainstream media (and
audiences) still abhor.

Another full page ad (this one printed in the July 7 issue of "USA Today")
paints a cozy picture of a far less laudable couple.  The advertisement
quotes (in very large type) the words of Dan Evins, President of the Cracker
Barrel company.  In a pitch for his own company as well as American Express,
Evins says:  "Pleasing people, honesty, trust, value, a hearty meal, a
welcoming smile . . . .  That's what we wish to be about.  And our
relationship with American Express fits that pretty well."  The ad includes
the familiar American Express charge card icon and "Don't Leave Home Without
It" slogan.

It is ironic -- to say the least -- that Evins should speak about "honesty,"
"trust," and a "welcoming smile."  His chain of Cracker Barrel stores and
restaurants has been notoriously homophobic.  In 1990, all Cracker Barrel
outlets were ordered to identify and fire lesbians and gays.  After an
initial witch-hunt and subsequent uproar, that directive was rescinded.
 Fired employees, however, were not rehired.  Unless American Express "fits
pretty well" with bigotry and job discrimination, the company SHOULD leave
home without Cracker Barrel.

***  Send appropriate comments to Janice Jarrett, Administrative Manager,
Marketing Department, Domecq Importers (of Sauza Tequila), 143 Sound Beach,
Old Greenwich, CT 06870, tel. 203-637-6500;  Diana Loguzzo, Diesel USA Inc.,
80 West 40th Street, New York, NY 10018, tel. 212-575-8222, fax 212-944-0915;
 Steven Smith, Vice President of Media Advertising, American Express, Tower
C, 3 World Financial Center, New York, NY 10285, tel. 212-640-1494;  Harvey
Golub, Chairperson, American Express, 200 Vesey Street, New York, NY 10285,
tel. 212-640-2000 or 800-528-4800, fax 212-619-9802;  Dan Evins, President &
CEO, Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc., Hartmann Drive, P.O. Box 787,
Lebanon, TN 37088, tel. 615-444-5533 or 800-955-0121.

T V    M I S G U I D E D 

The cover of the August 5-11 issue of "TV Guide" proclaims:  "Tom Selleck
Talks Tough -- He's Back and He's Battling:  Pushy Fans . . . Vicious Rumors
. . . Even Barbra Streisand!"

Inside the magazine, Mary Murphy's article ("Meet The New Tough Tom") dwells
on Selleck's anger over rumors that he is gay.  "What concerns him most,"
Murphy writes, "is that rumors that still haunt him today could hurt his
child."  She quotes Selleck, who -- "with fire in his eyes" -- explains:  "I
have a wife and kid, and I am not going to spit on my wife and falsify that
commitment.  What is implied if you're married and gay?  You've got two
lives.  I mean, that's crazy."

Selleck -- "an outspoken conservative" -- also states:  "I couldn't care less
whether people who are gay would like me to be gay.  This is not going to
happen.  I am as proud of my sexual preference as anyone else is.  And if a
gay person finds it insulting to have to stay in the closet, I find this just
as insulting.  It isn't anti-gay to say you are heterosexual."

But it IS anti-gay (and hardly "tough") to blame homosexuals -- rather than
homophobia -- for Selleck's "predicament."  And it is DEEPLY anti-gay to
refer to speculation about homosexuality as "vicious rumors." 

***  Send complaints to Anthea Disney, Editor-in-Chief, "TV Guide," Radnor,
PA 19088, e-mail [email-masked]; correspondence intended for
publication should be directed to the "Letters Department" at the same
address (no anonymous letters will be published).

S H O C K    T R E A T M E N T 

Of his role in the new film "Jeffrey" (which is based on the stage play about
a gay man who falls in love just as he is swearing off intimacy), actor
Steven Weber declares:  "If anybody is uptight about this movie, I think they
have a problem."  Ironically, Weber took that stand on "Entertainment
Tonight" ("ET"), where host John Tesh has been more than a little uptight
about gays lately.

On the August 2 broadcast of "ET," Tesh introduced a segment on "Jeffrey" by
noting:  "Steven Weber is constantly looking for love on the NBC series
'Wings,' and he finds it in the new movie 'Jeffrey'."  Pausing gravely, Tesh
then intoned:  "But you're in for a shock when you see who's on the other end
of Steven's big movie kiss."  "ET" showed the kiss in slow-motion (though it
was unclear if the effect was intended to heighten or dampen the "shock").

Only a few weeks ago, Tesh offered equally-sensationalistic commentary for a
segment dispelling the "dirty rumors" about Keanu Reeves' sexual orientation.
 Unfortunately, these "ET" segments dance around the subject of homophobia.
 The "Jeffrey" segment never explored why a simple same-sex kiss is shocking
stuff.  Tesh could have said that "Jeffrey's" audiences will be "in for an
education."  And a MUCH-NEEDED education at that.

Fortunately, "ET" did allow Weber himself to celebrate "Jeffrey" as a film
that "extols love and living."  Viewing the chance to play a gay man as a
professional opportunity, Weber said:  "I'm  just an average hetero idiot
male, and it was an interesting excursion into trying something different."
 He concluded:  "A kiss is really just a kiss."

***  Send constructive criticism to John Tesh, "Entertainment Tonight," 5555
Melrose Avenue, Hollywood, CA 90038, tel. 213-956-4900, fax 213-956-4954;
 Support for "Jeffrey" should be directed to Len White, CEO, Orion Pictures,
1888 Century Park East, Los Angeles, CA 90067, tel. 310-282-0550.

G O O D    A D V I C E 

Newspaper advice columnists are frequently asked questions about
homosexuality.  For the most part, they have tended to give fairly rotten
answers.

A modest exception can be found in T. Berry Brazelton's syndicated column,
"Families Today."  A reader wrote to say:  "I recently saw an article stating
that playing with dolls may be an early indication of homosexuality among
young boys . . . .  I feel that (my 2-year-old son's) sweet nurturing will
make him a good father, and that's what I tell busybodies who make
disparaging remarks about his interest in dolls."

Brazelton replied:  "I agree entirely.  Learning to nurture dolls . . . .  is
not sex-linked, nor is it an indication of homosexuality."  Significantly,
Brazelton went on to say (as the reader did not) that:  "It is a symptom of
our homophobic society that we dare not encourage gentleness and nurturant
behavior in young males."  Such a statement is certain to raise homophobic
hackles, especially since it appears in a column devoted to a subject
fundamentalists think they own -- "Families Today."

***  Supportive feedback can be sent to Dr. T. Berry Brazelton, c/o New York
Times Syndicate, 122 East 42nd Street, 14th Floor, New York, NY 10168, fax
212-499-3382.

F I T    T O    P R I N T 

Men's fitness and physique magazines coyly target gay readers, a fact that
can easily be discerned from the homoerotic photo spreads (as well as the
back-of-the-book ads for "exercise" videos of "Terry oiling up and posing at
the gym . . . ").  However, this gay readership is seldom acknowledged --
directly -- in the editorial content of such magazines as "Men's Workout,"
"Total Fitness For Men," and "Exercise For Men Only.".  

Whether the subject is "Single Men and Cooking" or "How To Select A Gym," the
words "homosexuality" or "gay" almost never appear in the text of any
articles.  Moreover, most exercise magazines regularly include articles on
"sexual fitness" that refer specifically -- and exclusively -- to
heterosexuality.  It's a particularly odd form of denial.  

A noteworthy exception can be found in the September 1995 issue of "Men's
Exercise," a mainstream magazine sold at many supermarkets and newsstands.
 This issue features a profile of water polo coach Bob Lenzi ("Everybody Into
The Pool"), written by Steve McKee.  While several pages of photos illustrate
Lenzi's exercise routine, the accompanying text refers liberally to his
participation in the Gay Games.

The article treats Lenzi's gayness almost routinely, noting in the very first
paragraph:  "The San Diego Cygnets, of which Bob Lenzi is the coach and star
player, had been favored to win the water polo gold medal at the 1994 Gay
Games in New York City . . . ."  Still, the author does not fail to highlight
the extraordinary significance of these Games as well.  Further into his
article, McKee writes:  "The larger thing would be the Gay games IV . . . .
 An estimated 11,000 athletes from around the country and world gathered
together to create the biggest participation-based sporting contest ever.  To
be a part of something as special as that, Lenzi said, was . . . well,
special."

***  Encouragement should be sent to Steve Downs, Editorial Director, "Men's
Exercise," 350 Fifth Avenue, Suite 3323, New York, NY 10118, tel.
212-947-4322, fax 212-563-4774.

R O T    O F F    T H E    P R E S S 

In a recent fundraising letter, Scott Lively -- leader of the fiercely
homophobic Oregon's Citizen's Alliance (OCA) -- announces the publication of
his new book, "The Pink Swastika:  Homosexuality in the Nazi Party,"
co-authored with Kevin Abrams.  According to Lively, his "224-page
illustrated book shows why 'gay rights' activists -- not pro-family
conservatives and OCA supporters -- should be wearing the label of 'Nazi'."

Lively claims:  "We have drawn from over 200 mainstream historians as well as
from homosexual writers to document that homosexuality was a CENTRAL element
of the fascist system, that the Nazi elite was rampant with homosexuality and
pederasty, that Adolf Hitler intentionally surrounded himself with
homosexuals during his entire adult life, and that the people most
responsible for many Nazi atrocities were homosexual."  Lively does not
bother to mention that Hitler himself claimed to be a "practicing
heterosexual, Christian."

"The Pink Swastika," according to Lively, "is not a commentary or an opinion
piece, it is a very detailed research project that took over eighteen months
of careful study and writing to complete."  However, Lively is quick to
remind his less-than-literate supporters that the book is also "easy and
entertaining to read."

Of course, Lively encourages everyone to purchase a ($9.95) copy of "The Pink
Swastika" and "help the cause of Christian social activism."  Remarkably, OCA
supporters are told that they can also obtain copies of the book by making "a
TAX DEDUCTIBLE ($25) donation to support the Lively family while Scott goes
through law school."  "This can be a one-time donation," Lively explains,
"but we hope you will consider supporting our family on an ongoing basis.  We
see ourselves as missionaries to America in an area (the courts) where the
church is extremely weak and vulnerable."

Lively concludes his letter with the "hope you will read and enjoy 'The Pink
Swastika'."  "As the controversy over this book heats up (as we know it
will)," he writes, "you will have inside knowledge about the issue and will
be empowered to discuss it with authority."

Hopefully, the mainstream press WILL focus an intensive lens on this new
book, as well as other hate media produced by the OCA and similar
organizations.  The subject could not be more rife with ironic desperation.
 For regardless of any claims about the PAST, it is surely clear that -- in
their CURRENT behavior -- few organizations so closely imitate the basics of
Nazi fascism.  

This 1928 statement, issued by the Nazi Party, is indistinguishable from
contemporary OCA rhetoric:  "Anyone who thinks of homosexual love is our
enemy . . . .  We therefore reject any form of lewdness, especially
homosexuality, because it robs us of our last chance to free our people from
the bondage which now enslaves it."

***  Advise local and national news agencies to consider in-depth reporting
on this latest hate publication (and the OCA hate-mongers behind it).  "The
Pink Swastika" is distributed by Lively Communications Inc., Box 5271, Salem,
OR 97304;  Scott Lively can be contacted at the Sheridan Assembly of God,
8445 Broadmead Road, Amity, OR 97101.

T E L L   A   V I S I O N 

A Canadian cable channel -- "Vision TV" -- is the focus of an attack from
U.S. televangelist Jerry Falwell.  About half of Vision's programming
consists of broadcasts paid for by religious/political groups, including
Falwell's "The Old Time Gospel Hour" (which also airs throughout the U.S.).
 Successful protests have encouraged Vision TV to modify the channel's "Code
of Ethics" with regard to paid-programming that consists of hate messages
targeting minorities.  

According to "Xtra" magazine, the Canadian Radio-Television and
Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) -- which is responsible for Canada's
broadcast regulation -- renewed Vision TV's license last year, "but with a
caution to avoid such bigoted programming."  Falwell's virulent homophobia
has already resulted in Vision's refusal to broadcast some portions of "The
Old Time Gospel Hour."

On his internationally-televised show, Falwell has attacked lesbians and gays
as "anti-family moral perverts . . . who want the right to violate any child
of any age."  According to a reporter for the "Toronto Star," Falwell has
also equated lesbians and gays with "thieves, perverts and murderers . . .
and (he) has called for napalm to be dropped on them."

In correspondence with his Canadian supporters, Falwell has demanded a
massive outpouring of letters to Vision TV, protesting the "censorship" of
his "concerns about the homosexual agenda."  So far, it appears that letters
in support of Falwell's position have outnumbered concerns about his
broadcast homophobia.

Falwell claims that Vision TV is "the main outlet" for "The Old Time Gospel
Hour" in Canada.  According to one Vision estimate, "tens of thousands" watch
the program.  Falwell has warned his supporters:  "Should Vision TV be
successful in modifying their Code of Ethics to allow further legislation
against our freedom to call homosexuality what it really is . . . then I will
have no choice but to remove 'The Old Time Gospel Hour' from Vision." 

***  Letters should be sent to Rev. Randy Naylor, Chair, Vision TV, 80 Bond
Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5B 1X2, Canada;  copy your comments to the
Canadian Radio-Television & Telecommunications Commission, Ottawa, Ontario,
K1A 0N2, Canada.

M E D I A    B R I E F S 

* SHELF HELP . . .   "Hollywood's greatest secret" is the subject of "The
Sewing Circle:  Female Stars Who Loved Other Women," a new book authored by
Axel Madsen and published by Carol Publishing Group (600 Madison Avenue, New
York, NY 10022, tel. 212-486-2200, fax 212-418-4077).

* WARNING:  HOMOPHOBIA MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR RATINGS . . .   On the July
24 broadcast of "Late Night with David Letterman," the theme for Dave's
popular "Top 10" list was "Ways to discourage your teen from smoking
cigarettes."  Letterman's number 2 reason was:  "Tell them they'll end up
like the fruity ass bastard in the Montclair ad."  Contact:  Rosemary Keenan,
Publicist, "Late Night with David Letterman," 1697 Broadway, New York, NY
10019, e-mail [email-masked];  copy your comments to Peter Tortorici,
President, CBS Entertainment, 7800 Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90036, tel.
213-852-2345.

* SPECIAL EDITION . . .   "Homophobia in the Media and Society:  'One Life to
Live' and Beyond" is a 2 1/2 hour video  featuring "storyline excerpts" and a
"panel discussion" moderated by Warren Blumenfeld (editor of "Homophobia:
 How We All Pay the Price").  Originally released in 1994, the video will be
available in a special edition for a limited time (November 1 -- December 1,
1995) at NO CHARGE (on a first-come, first-serve basis) to non-profit
educational institutions (schools, libraries) and organizations.  Contact:
 Barker Media, Room 10-500, MIT, Cambridge, MA 02139, tel. 617-253-5694,
e-mail [email-masked].

* WEB WATCH . . .   "Exploiting Media Opportunities: How To Make Sure
Lavender News Is Black and White and Read All Over" is an instructional
pamphlet available on the World Wide Web
(http://rt66.com/summers/media.html).  The text "focuses on organizing press
conferences to secure media coverage on local lesbian and gay news stories."

* LIFE IN CHINA . . .   "In the Life" -- self-described as "public
television's information line on gay culture, entertainment, and events" --
kicks off its fourth season this October, with reports from the World
Conference on Women in Beijing, China.  "In the Life" is a co-production of
WNYC-TV and In The Life Media; the series is now broadcast on 70 PBS stations
nationwide.  Contact:  In The Life Media Inc., tel. 212-255-6012, fax
212-255-6097; WNYC-TV, One Centre Street, New York, NY 10007, tel.
212-669-7800, fax 212-669-3585.

* HOMOPHOBIC HERITAGE . . .   The San Francisco Human Rights Commission (HRC)
has sent a letter to local PBS outlet KQED-TV, congratulating the station for
its Asian Pacific American Heritage Month programming.  "However," HRC Chair
Lucille Abrahamson writes, "we wish to express our concern over the apparent
lack of programming reflecting the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender
Asian Pacific Islander experience . . . .  The Commission urges KQED to
include works reflecting the entire gamut of the Asian Pacific Islander
experience, including those of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Asian
pacific Islanders, when it selects its programming, not only during Asian
Pacific Heritage Month but throughout the year."  Send similar urgings to
your local PBS station; queer omission during various "heritage" and
"history" months is quite common.  Contact:  Mary Bitterman, President & CEO,
KQED Inc., 2601 Mariposa Street, San Francisco, CA 94110-1400, tel.
415-864-2000, fax 415-553-2456.

* SOUND BITE . . .   "Yeah, I like women . . . .  I haven't met a woman in a
long time who I did anything with, but I think women are beautiful"  (Actress
Drew Barrymore, discussing her bisexuality on the TV news-magazine "EXTRA!,"
July 16, 1995).

* UNSOUND BITE . . .   "According to Leviticus, you filthy perverts should be
executed" (An on-line message to homosexuals, posted by the Rev. Donald Spitz
whose ironic e-mail address is [email-masked]).

#####################################

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN GLAAD'S WORK.
YOUR PARTICIPATION IS VITAL!

Founded in 1988, the San Francisco Bay Area Chapter of GLAAD is a
volunteer-based membership organization dedicated to cultural advocacy and
media activism.  GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse
representation of lesbian, gay and bisexual lives.  GLAAD challenges
homophobia in and through the mass media . . . shaping the forces that shape
our society.

MEDIA WATCH is a weekly report that may be reprinted or posted without prior
permission, provided that, when appropriate, attribution is made to Al
Kielwasser and/or GLAAD/San Francisco.  We greatly appreciate copies of any
publications that use all or part of the MEDIA WATCH.

To notify GLAAD/SFBA of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request GLAAD membership information, please call our 24-hour Media Watch
Hotline (415-861-4588) or write to Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103.  Office phone:
 415-861-2244.  Fax:  415-861-4893.  E-mail:  [email-masked].  Web site:
 http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

LET THE MEDIA KNOW YOU'RE WATCHING!

#####################################