Subject: GLAAD MEDIA WATCH, July 28
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 23:44:23 -0400

M e d i a W a t c h
for 
July 28, 1995

by

Al Kielwasser
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
San Francisco Bay Area

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

Lea Delaria -- the out and proud lesbian comic -- recently taped an episode
of "Saved By The Bell," the popular NBC-produced series that targets young
viewers.  Delaria will appear as "Miss Hearst," a hard-edged high school
teacher.  According to an NBC spokesperson, however, Miss Hearst's sexual
orientation "is never mentioned." 

Apparently, there is a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy in force at Bayside
High, the fictional school that provides the setting for "Saved By The Bell."
 And just like the U.S. military, Bayside adheres to a firm double-standard.

Scripts for "Saved By The Bell" CONSTANTLY mention the HETEROSEXUAL
orientation of the program's characters.  In fact, since its inception, the
series has focused on little more than the "boy meets girl" exploits of the
cast. 

Because lesbians and gays are "never mentioned" on programs like "Saved By
The Bell," young audiences are relentlessly socialized in the ways of hatred
and fear.  The message is loud and clear -- only heterosexuals are worth
mentioning, only heterosexuality is acceptable.  

In one national survey of young men 15 to 19 years of age, 89 percent said
that sex between two men is "disgusting" and only 12 percent "felt confident
that they could befriend a gay person."  Television's silence not only fails
to challenge such homophobia, but actively supports it.

*** Encourage NBC to finally "mention" homosexuality on "Saved By The Bell;"
remind the network how important it is to regularly include lesbian, gay and
bisexual characters in programming for children and young adults.  Contact
"Saved By The Bell," 3000 West Alameda, Studio 9, Burbank, CA 91523, tel.
818-840-2250; copy your correspondence to NBC Viewer Services, 30 Rockefeller
Plaza, New York, NY 10112, tel. 212-664-3370.

SPRING INTO ACTION!

The Colorado Springs "Gazette Telegraph" is soliciting public opinion about a
profoundly homophobic "Resolution for Community Standards" campaign.  The
"Resolution" is a sort of non-binding, "do-it-yourself" declaration of hate
principles that can be adopted by any city council, school board of other
governing body.   The campaign is sponsored by Colorado for Family Values,
the heterosexual supremacist cult that championed Colorado's "Amendment 2;"
 CFV currently expects the resolution to be passed by five local governments
in the state.

On July 26, the "Gazette Telegraph" asked readers:  "We would like to know
what you think of this resolution. Would it be a good idea . . . to adopt the
resolution below? Should the resolution be modified or is the idea itself
fundamentally flawed?"

The newspaper printed the full text of the resolution, which runs on for
nearly 700 words.  Bloated with bigotry, the "Resolution for Community
Standards" invokes the "outspoken voice of the majority" to "defend the moral
and social safety, health, and welfare of the community" against
"pornography, violence, homosexuality" and threats to the "preservation of
the nuclear family."

On pornography, the resolution declares:  "The community recognizes
pornography (to include but not limited to definitions by federal and state
laws) to have no social or artistic value whatever for our community.  Any
economic value is immediately offset by the destruction of the family, the
degradation of women and children, and the addictions of men -- the
inevitable by-products of pornography."

On violence, the resolution concludes:  "The high representation of Blacks
and Hispanics in our jails and detention centers is a direct result of
fatherless homes and a generally less active, positive family unit in those
communities."

On homosexuality, the CFV resolution states:  "Homosexuality is not morally,
ethically, or legally equal to heterosexuality.  It is understood that all
citizens of America have equal rights by virtue of their American
citizenship; the privileges accorded citizenship do not extend to the
behavior of homosexuality. Our community must unconditionally advocate
heterosexuality, through the institutions and policies that support it."

Based upon these declarations, the resolution calls for a number of actions,
include a prohibition on funding ("directly or indirectly") for any
"activities which seek to contravene these community standards."  In adopting
this resolution, each governing body also "recognizes that constitutional and
civil rights are not self-defined. The above statement of standards are not
violations of legally understood rights."

Ground Zero -- a Colorado organization defending the basic civil rights of
lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered citizens -- has asked that everyone,
everywhere respond to the "Gazette Telegraph's" request for public input.  A
Ground Zero representative noted that citizens in Colorado Springs, who
"daily face the beast in its lair," would "greatly appreciate" such
responses.

*** Write to "Tell It To The Gazette Telegraph," P. O. Box 1779, Colorado
Springs, CO 80901, fax 719-636-0202, e-mail [email-masked]; or call the
"Tell It To The GT Phone Line" at 719-472-1919.  Ground Zero asks that, if
possible, you copy your comments to:  The Mayor and City Council of Colorado
Springs, P.O. Box 1575, Colorado Springs, CO 80901, fax 719-578-6601; The
Board of Commissioners of El Paso County, 27 E. Vermijo 3rd Floor, Colorado
Springs, CO 80903-2225, fax 719-520-6397; Ground Zero, P. O. Box 1982,
Colorado Springs, CO 80901, fax 719-635-6106, e-mail [email-masked].

LOUSY HEAD

A piece in the July 20 "Chicago Tribune" is headlined:  "No Room at the Inn?
-- A Dispute Over Gay Rights Tests A Michigan Resort Town's Reputation for
Tolerance."  In the fourth paragraph of the article, however, reporter Paul
Gainor (correctly) identifies the dispute as NOT involving "gay rights" but
"a civil rights ordinance for people of all sexual orientations."
 Unfortunately, several paragraphs later, the reporter makes the same mistake
as the headline writer, twice using the phrase "gay rights" rather than
"civil rights."

Similarly, an Associated Press article in the July 20 "Boston Globe" is
headlined:  "Gay Rights Cause Raises $330,000."  The AP reporter also used
the term "gay rights," even while reporting that the "cause" involved was a
"referendum that would exclude homosexuals from human rights laws in Maine."

Such usage only mars otherwise competent articles.  The concept of
"homosexual rights" or "gay rights" is closely allied with the empty-headed
notion of "special rights."  Increasingly favored by homophobes, the term
"gay rights" demonstrates a clear bias that journalists should avoid.  The
phrase wrongly suggests that lesbians and gays are seeking extraordinary
privileges rather than basic CIVIL (or HUMAN) rights and EQUAL protection
under the law.  

*** Send comments to "The Chicago Tribune," 435 N. Michigan Avenue, Chicago,
IL 60611, fax 312-222-2598, e-mail [email-masked]; The Associated Press,
50 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10020, tel. 212-621-1500; "The Boston
Globe," Box 2378, Boston, MA 02107, e-mail [email-masked] (comments of the
"Globe's" coverage should also be copied to the newspaper's Ombudsman, at the
same address, e-mail [email-masked]).

MTV NEWS:  A REAL DRAG

"MTV News Unfiltered" is a new series that asks viewers to send in their own
video news clips, eight to ten of which are then edited together to form
half-hour shows.  On July 23, the final segment of this alternative news
program struck a unique blow for queer visibility.  

The segment featured a 22-year-old man who was about to graduate from the
University of Florida at Tampa.  He debated whether he would participate in
the pomp and circumstance, and was leaning against going to his commencement
exercises.  However, he changed his mind once he decided to make the
experience more meaningful to him . . . by receiving his diploma in drag
(complete with red bouffant).

The "unfiltered" news clip highlighted "Tweeka's" preparations as "the big
day" finally arrived.  Though the university official reading Tweeka's drag
name from a 3x5 card was taken by surprise, the reaction on stage was
generally appreciative.  The new graduate came across clearly and proudly as
a happy, cross-dressing, gay man.

Viewers of "America's Funniest Home Videos" are never treated to such
delightfully queer footage.  Once again, MTV News leads its competitors in
refusing to censor the diversity of our lives.

*** Send comments to Judy McGrath, President, MTV Networks Inc., 1515
Broadway, New York, NY 10036, tel. 212-258-8712 or 212-258-8000, fax
212-258-8718, e-mail [email-masked]; America OnLine (AOL) users can also
post comments directly to AOL's MTV message area (keyword "MTV").

SHUT UP AND LISTEN

In a recent editorial, the Los Angeles "Daily News" assailed a gay school
board member for making "bigoted and irresponsible" comments about
heterosexuals ("Horton Flunks Out," July 14).  After he took his oath of
office for a second term on the Los Angeles school board, Jeff Horton gave a
speech in which he connected "white heterosexual men" with homophobia and
racism.  "It is distressing," the "Daily News" opined, "to hear such
prejudice voiced publicly. . . .  A public figure has no business attacking
entire groups of people based on their race, gender or sexual orientation."

In securing the privileges associated with their status, "white heterosexual
men" have surely been responsible for most of the prejudice and intolerance
practiced in this nation.  In what is becoming a classic ploy, however, the
"Daily News" argues that assigning such responsibility is itself an act of
"bigotry."  According to the newspaper:  "It is mind-boggling that this
bigotry and faulty thinking was voiced by an openly gay member of the Board
of Education, who has pushed repeatedly for the school system to crack down
on intolerance against gay and lesbian pupils. . . .  The most polarizing
aspect of Horton's words is that they reflect the kind of prejudice and group
hatred he supposedly wants to drive out of city schools."

Ignoring the fact that most textbooks and teachers are still preoccupied with
"white heterosexual men," the "Daily News" characterized Horton's remarks as
"inflammatory" and "self-serving."   "From now on," the newspaper concluded,
"we'll be wondering whether this guy is primarily interested in learning or
whether he has some personal agenda that has little to do with the schools."

The "Daily News" editorial suggests that racism, sexism and homophobia have
no social or institutional reality.  Such rhetoric is commonly used in an
insidious effort to stigmatize the very status of "victim," thus deflecting
attention away from the actual process of victimization (and those who
participate in it).  Resisting oppression becomes the vice of "blaming"
others.  Ignoring color, gender or sexual orientation is touted as a virtue
-- especially by those whose CAN conveniently ignore their own (white) color,
(male) gender and (heterosexual) orientation.  

A number of letters to the "Daily News" have followed the editorial's lead.
 On July 13, readers attacked Horton as a "straight basher" who puts the
needs of children "after the need to make political hay for gay rights."  One
reader added that the "school district (and government in general)" should
"quit hanging labels on people" and "just refer to us as Americans. . . .
 Then you won't have discrimination because there will be nothing to
discriminate about."  The newspaper's "objective" reporting also displayed a
similar bias; the "Daily News'" July 11 coverage of the speech was headlined:
 "Horton Bashes Straight Males At Swearing-In." 

An anonymous broadside, widely distributed at the 1990 New York Gay and
Lesbian Pride Parade (and later published in "OutWeek" magazine), directly
challenged such indignant posturing.  The broadside encouraged readers to "be
angry that the price of our visibility is the constant threat of violence,
anti-queer violence to which practically every segment of this society
contributes. . . ."  The author also offered this fitting advice:  "The next
time some straight person comes down on you for being angry, tell them to go
away until they have spent a month walking hand in hand with someone of the
same sex.  After they survive that, then you'll hear what they have to say
about queer anger.  Otherwise, tell them to shut up and listen."

*** Send much-needed feedback to Mark Lacter, Editorial Page Editor, "The
Daily News," P.O. Box 4200, Woodland Hills, CA 91365, tel. 818-713-3648, fax
818-713-3723.

MEDIA BRIEFS

* TV GUIDANCE . . .  "OutTalk" is a new lesbian/gay-oriented TV magazine
focusing on "the arts, culture, fashion, style, and events that are at the
heart of the San Francisco Bay Area and abroad."  The cable series premiers
on August 22, 8:30 PM, on Viacom channel 35.  For more information, contact
"OutTalk," P.O. Box 883544, San Francisco, CA 94188-3544, tel. 415-206-1484.

* COMING ATTRACTIONS . . .  According to "USA Today" (July 14), there could
be a fuller future in store for the gay character on "Party of Five," Fox
TV's "low-rated but critically acclaimed family drama."  Regarding storylines
for next season, the newspaper reported:  "Even Claudia's gay violin teacher
Ross (Mitchell Anderson) is likely to have a relationship by mid-year."  Such
news will surely inspire letters from homophobes, hoping to kill off a series
that is already on the endangered list.  Contact:  Amy Lippman and
Christopher Keyser, Executive Producers, "Party of Five," c/o Fox
Broadcasting, P.O. Box 900, Beverly Hills, CA 90213; copy your support to
Chase Carey, President, Fox Broadcasting, at the same address, tel.
310-277-2211, e-mail [email-masked].

* E-MEDIA WATCH . . .  "In Your Face!" -- the "national journal-of-record for
Political Activism Against Gender Oppression" -- is now available on-line.
 According to the publishers, "IYF" content is wide-ranging but
action-oriented:  "If it's about political action against gender and
sex-based oppression, we cover it."  To subscribe, e-mail the single line
message "subscribe iyf-online" to [email-masked].

Of related interest:  The "Transexual Menace Mailing List" is a
closed/non-moderated list (available in both regular and digest forms) that
"provides a common space to learn about, partake in and discuss the gender
non-discrimination and education programs of the Menace."  For more
information, e-mail the message "info tsmenace" to [email-masked].

* VOICES OF A GENERATION . . .  Alyson Publications is seeking non-fiction
essays from "lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered and intersexed people born
after (or shortly before) the Stonewall Riots of 1969" for publication in a
new anthology, "Generation Q:  Inheriting Stonewall."  The editors are "open
to working with inexperienced writers" and are willing to advise anyone who
has "an unusual or special story to tell but you're unsure how to start."
 The deadline for submissions is September 4, 1995.  Contact:  Robin
Bernstein and Seth Silberman, Editors, P.O. Box 11172, Takoma Park, MD 20913,
e-mail [email-masked].

* A TEXTBOOK CASE . . .  On July 6, 1995, the 2.2 million-member National
Education Association (NEA) adopted a resolution supporting "the celebration
of a Lesbian and Gay History Month as a means of acknowledging the
contributions of lesbians, gays and bisexuals throughout history."  The NEA
has previously called for the "accurate portrayal of the roles and
contributions of gay, lesbian, and bisexual people throughout history, with
acknowledgment of their sexual orientation."  

Contact your local school board and ask if current history textbooks meet the
NEA standard.  Also, inquire about your district's plans for celebrating
Lesbian and Gay History Month.  

For more information about the Lesbian and Gay History Month Project, e-mail
[email-masked].  The NEA Division of Human and Civil Rights can be reached at
1201 16th Street NW, Washington, DC 20036-3290, tel. 202-833-4000.  A
classroom poster depicting famous lesbian, gay and bisexual people and events
throughout history is available from Project 21:  A Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual
Coalition for Curriculum Advocacy; for details, contact Kristy Billuni,
Project 21 Poster, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103,
tel. 415-861-3021, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked].

* HOMO VIDEO . . .   "Hate, Homophobia and Schools" is a new 60-minute video
tape intended "to lessen the impact of homophobia in our society, by helping
teens understand what it is like to live with hate and fear."  For details,
contact:  NEWIST/CESA 7, IS 1040, University of Wisconsin at Green bay, Green
bay, WI 54311, tel. 414-465-2599 or 800-633-7445.

* THE DISHONEST TRUTH . . .  Charlie Reese, staff columnist for the "Orlando
Sentinel," informed readers that Sen. Jesse Helms "speaks the truth" about
homosexuality ("Calm Down And Listen To Helms," July 18).  Said Reese:  "How
one would describe the physical acts homosexuals perform is a matter of
opinion.  Helms chose disgusting and revolting.  That's his opinion.  He's
entitled to it.  Some would agree and some wouldn't, though if an honest
description of the acts were published and an honest public opinion poll
taken, I think more would agree with Helms than with his critics."  Share
your honest opinion with:  "The Orlando Sentinel," 633 N. Orange Avenue,
Orlando, FL 32801-1349, fax 407-420-5286, e-mail [email-masked].

* CYBER NATION . . .   "LGNY" -- the "new lesbian and gay newspaper for New
York" -- now operates a World Wide Web site (http://www.fly.net/~lgny), as
does the "Seattle Gay News" (http://www.sgn.org/sgn).  "Utne Reader" -- a
progressive version of "Reader's Digest" -- has launched "The Utne Lens," a
biweekly periodical for web watchers (http://www.utne.com).

The White House is also on the web-friendly (http://www.whitehouse.gov), as
is the Democratic National Committee (http://www.democrats.org).  To help
"overwhelm the Radical Right, organize an army of online activists and get
out the vote," the DNC also publishes a weekly on-line newsletter, "The
Internet Democrat" (to subscribe, send e-mail to
[email-masked]; in the body of the message, type only
the word "subscribe").

################################################

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN GLAAD'S WORK.
YOUR PARTICIPATION IS VITAL!

Founded in 1988, the San Francisco Bay Area Chapter of GLAAD is a
volunteer-based community organization dedicated to cultural advocacy and
media activism.  GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse
representation of lesbian, gay and bisexual lives.  GLAAD challenges
homophobia in and through the mass media . . . shaping the forces that shape
our society.

MEDIA WATCH is a weekly report that may be reprinted or posted without prior
permission, provided that, when appropriate, attribution is made to Al
Kielwasser and/or GLAAD/San Francisco.  We greatly appreciate copies of any
publications that use all or part of the MEDIA WATCH.

To notify GLAAD/SFBA of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request GLAAD membership information, please call our 24-hour Media Watch
Hotline (415-861-4588) or write to Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103.  Tel. 415-861-2244.
 Fax 415-861-4893.  E-mail [email-masked].  URL
http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

LET THE MEDIA KNOW YOU'RE WATCHING!

################################################