Subject: GLAAD MEDIA WATCH, July 7
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 18:37:56 -0400

M e d i a W a t c h
for 
July 7, 1995

by
Al Kielwasser
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
San Francisco Bay Area Chapter

SINGLED IN?

Without doubt, the MTV Network has demonstrated a singular commitment to
covering lesbian, gay and bisexual issues.  In fact, the popular television
service has included lesbians and gays throughout its programming schedule.
 Homosexuality has been a subject of the network's divers music videos, "MTV
News" reports, "Sex In The 90's" documentaries, anti-violence specials, and
several incarnations of "The Real World."

However, there is still one place where lesbians and gays remain
conspicuously absent.  Queer folk have not been invited to participate in the
various "dating" shows that MTV has produced over the years, including its
most recent series -- "Singled Out" -- which debuted just one month ago.

MTV plans to produce 65 episodes of "Singled Out," and the show currently
airs twice each day, Monday through Friday.  An on-line version of the game
show is also in the works.

In each episode of "Singled Out," contestants employ various techniques to
"weed out" a date from a large group of contenders.  According to the
official MTV synopsis:  " 'Singled Out' is the ultimate relationship show
where contestants get a chance to choose their ideal mate from a studio
audience filled with the opposite sex."  The key phrase here is "OPPOSITE
SEX," since lesbian and gay contestants are evidently banned from
participating.

Ultimately, only one motivation underlies such discrimination:  Homophobia.
 And it's no more palatable or defensible on MTV than it is on the Christian
Broadcasting Network.

Including gay and lesbian contestants in the "Singled Out" mix would surely
do justice to MTV's progressive vision.  It could also offer routine and
sex-positive portrayals . . .  lesbian and gay images that are not limited to
"controversial" news stories or documentary "specials."

The importance of such images cannot be underestimated, as the major
television networks have consistently refused to portray lesbians and gay men
as romantic (let alone sexual) characters.  The "homosexual kiss"  is a
remarkably stubborn taboo.  "And even that simple act," Vito Russo noted in
"The Celluloid Closet," "is still approached with trepidation by filmmakers
and greeted with cries of outrage from audiences and critics alike."    

Until we are portrayed as people who date, touch and (gasp!) even kiss, we
are seen as less than human; we are DEFINED but never DEPICTED as lesbians
and gays on television.  "Dating" shows are one (perhaps ideal) place where
depictions could begin to replace definitions; MTV is one (perhaps ideal)
network for taking the next -- and necessary -- step.  

***   Offer some friendly advice to:  Judy McGrath, President, MTV Networks
Inc., 1515 Broadway, New York, NY 10036, tel. 212-258-8712 or 212-258-8000,
fax 212-258-8718, e-mail [email-masked]; America OnLine (AOL) users can also
post comments directly to AOL's MTV message area (keyword "MTV").

A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE

On June 21, the NBC soap opera "Another World" featured an HIV-positive and
openly gay character, who was played by an HIV-positive and openly gay actor.
 Keith Christopher, who plays "Bruce," joined the series as part of the
annual "Day of Compassion," during which all television networks are
encouraged to devote "programming to AIDS awareness and people affected by
HIV/AIDS." 

NBC has not yet decided if Bruce will added to the soap opera's cast of
"regulars."  According to Christopher, "viewer response will determine the
fate of this character."

***   Viewers can respond to:   "Another World," 79 Madison Avenue, New York,
NY 10016; Copy your correspondence to Warren Littlefield, President, NBC
Entertainment, 3000 West Alameda Avenue, Burbank, CA 91523, tel.
818-840-4444, and to NBC Viewer Services, 30 Rockerfeller Plaza, New York, NY
10112, tel. 212-664-3370.

FASHIONABLE REPORTING

Teresa Wiltz, fashion writer for the "Chicago Tribune," profiles gay singer
Ru Paul in the newspaper's June 29th issue ("Ooh, Girlfriend, Ru Paul Is One
Happy Guy Who Just Loves To Kick Up His Heels").  

Wiltz' style is appropriately snappy as she chronicles a day in the drag
diva's life ("Ru Paul bursts through the hotel, resplendent in a tight red
mini dress, flirting with an aging bellman as she sashays into the waiting
limo").  However, this upbeat and "breezy" approach does not prevent Wiltz --
or Ru Paul -- from reflecting on some substantive issues ("I am
representative of the black male experience," Ru Paul says, "Because that's
what I am").

The feature story concludes at a signing for "Lettin It All Hang Out," Ru
Paul's new book.  Wiltz writes:  "Hundreds of fans have come to see their
idol . . . .  Many have already read 'Lettin It All hang Out.'  LeMarr
Williams, 16, of the western suburbs, read it twice:  'When I was down and
out and depressed, seeing him made me realize there are role models out there
for gay teens.' "

The "Chicago Tribune" ranks amongst the ten largest daily newspapers in the
United States.

***  For demonstrating that fashion reporting can also be good journalism,
send compliments to:  Teresa Wiltz, Fashion Writer, "Chicago Tribune," 435 N.
Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611, tel. 312-222-3232, fax 312-222-2598,
e-mail [email-masked].

SCHOOLING THE PRESS

In Reno, Nevada, the Washoe County School Board recently voted to censor a
gay youth hotline number that would have been printed on resource cards given
to high school students.  Bob Bentley, School Board President, cast the
tie-breaking vote against the phone number.  

The phone number would have connected students to the Gay Youth Outreach
Program, sponsored by the Gay and Lesbian Student Union at the University of
Nevada, Reno.  The program's number was to be included on a list of various
hotlines that offer services and support to teens. 

Reporting on the Board's action, the Associated Press (AP) offered especially
shallow coverage.  In a June 14th story -- which failed to pose any
challenging questions to Bentley (or any of the school board members, for
that matter) -- the AP simply reported:  "Regarding the gay and lesbian
hotline number, Bentley said that should not be a school district function."

Apparently, Bentley was not asked to elaborate on this position -- which is
reported as if it were self-validating.  He was not asked to explain why,
exactly, a hotline number for the victims of child abuse IS "a school
district function," while a number for victims of homophobia is NOT.

The only "challenge" to Bentley's claim reported by the AP article is this
single sentence:  "Backers of placing the number for the Gay Youth Outreach
Program on a reference card along with other phone numbers for such things as
drug and alcohol problems and child abuse argued that teens who know they are
gay need support."  Once again, the AP story does not offer the slightest
elaboration.  Readers are free to assume that the  "backers" had argued that
homosexuality should be treated no differently than any other disease (such
as drug and alcohol addiction).  And if anyone mentioned "homophobia" -- as
they surely must have -- their claims went unreported by the Associated
Press.

The AP story concludes with two sentences that exemplify such careless
reporting.  "Backers of the measure . . . argued that gay youths often
experience depression and contemplate suicide," the article "informs"
readers.  "Opponents countered that the (hotline) number would promote
homosexual lifestyles."

Unnamed, unquestioned and unquoted , the "backers" and the "opponents" can
only be seen as moral, political and intellectual equals.  

It would have been enlightening, to say the least, if this AP article had
posed just one probing question, requesting a "backer" AND an "opponent" to
support the over-broad claims cited here.  There is, after all, ample
evidence to demonstrate both the naturalness of homosexuality and the
nastiness of homophobia.  But NOT ONE credible study has EVER proven that a
phone number can "promote homosexual lifestyles."

When it comes to covering the "homosexual beat," many mainstream reporters
seem overly concerned with "balance."  Being fair, however, is no less
important than being factual.

This AP article (and many similar efforts) is actually at odds with the
various professional codes adopted -- and touted -- by journalists
themselves.  For example, the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) "Code
of Ethics" states:  "We believe  in public enlightenment as the forerunner of
justice . . . .  Truth is our ultimate goal . . . .  There is no excuse for
inaccuracies or lack of thoroughness."  Likewise, the American Society of
Newspaper Editors (ASNE) "Statement of Principles" declares:  The "primary
purpose of gathering and distributing news" is to inform the public,
"enabling them to make judgments on the issues of the time."  Nothing in the
AP article could enable such informed judgment.

The ASNE code also indicates that the press should "bring an independent
scrutiny to bear on the forces of power in the society."  The "Principles"
state:  "To be impartial does not require the press to be unquestioning . . .
."

From time to time, journalists must be reminded of the standards they profess
to uphold.

***   Critical feedback should be sent to both the Washoe School Board and
the AP wire service:  Bob Bentley, President, and All Members, Washoe County
School Board, 425 E. 9th Street, Reno, NV, tel. 702-348-0200, fax
702-348-0304; Associated Press, 50 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10020,
tel. 212-621-1500.

MEDIA BRIEFS

*  The Times Aren't A Changin' . . .   Reporters at "The New York Times" are
still using some antiquated and misleading language.  In a July 5th article ,
Katharine Q. Seelye writes: "Sen. Jesse Helms, R-N.C., who has vigorously
fought homosexual rights, wants to reduce the amount of federal money spent
on AIDS . . . ."  What are "HOMOSEXUAL RIGHTS?"  In fact, there are no such
things; Helms opposes basic CIVIL RIGHTS for lesbians and gays (e.g.,
nondiscrimination in housing, employment and health care).  To encourage
precision journalism at "The Times," contact:  Joseph Lelyveld, Executive
Editor, "The New York Times," 229 West 43rd St., New York, NY 10036, tel.
212-556-1234, fax 212-556-3690.

*  More Ann Slanders . . .   Not surprisingly, homophobic columnist Ann
Landers is also a sexist mess.  In her July 1st column, Landers reprints a
favorite recipe for her "Best-Ever Lemon Pie."  Whatever the merits of the
pie, the way Landers prefaces her recipe is certainly tasteless.  She writes:
 "Dear Readers -- Today's column is definitely not a guy thing, so you fellas
have my permission to go straight to the sports section."  Unfortunately,
Landers' sexist dribble is syndicated world-wide.    Contact:  Ann Landers,
P.O. Box 11562, Chicago. IL 60611-0562.

*   Textbook Reform . . .   "Lesbian, Gay & Bisexual Issues In Education," a
network of the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, is
working "towards dismantling heterosexism and homophobia in the curriculum
and policies of our schools, colleges and universities."  For more
information, contact:  Jan M. Goodman, Lesbian, Gay & Bisexual Issues In
Education/An ASCD Network, P.O. Box 27527, Oakland, CA 94602, tel.
510-530-1706, fax 510-655-4244.

*   Media Activism, By The Book . . .   "Through the Media Looking Glass" is
a new book from Common Courage Press (P.O. Box 702 N14, Monroe, ME 04951).
 Authors Jeff Cohen and Norman Solomon decode "bias and blather in the news."

*  E-Media Watch . . .   "Women Leaders Online" (WLO) is a group dedicated to
"opposing the political agenda of the radical right, electing pro-women
candidates in 1996, and restoring civility and integrity to American
politics."  The group publishes an action-oriented online newsletter,
"Political Woman Hotline," which features regular media analysis and alerts.
   Contact:  WLO, 276 Chatterton Pkwy, White Plains, NY 10606, e-mail
[email-masked]; WLO's home page (with back issues of "Hotline") can be
found at  http://worcester.lm.com/women/women.html).

*  Act Up, Play Back! . . .   "Gay Lives & Culture Wars" is a new video that
counterposes homophobic propaganda with personal stories told by young
lesbian and gay people.  The tape is intended to "counter common myths and
misinformation" and provide a "useful educational and organizing tool,
especially in areas fighting anti-gay initiatives."  Contact:  Democracy
Media, P.O. Box 82777, Portland, OR 97282, tel. 503-452-6500.

*  Media Survivalists . . .   To help listeners talk back to Right Wing radio
hosts, the Mobilization for Survival, a non-profit group, has developed a
guide that includes "tips on getting past program screeners, getting the host
to misstep, and running training programs in your area."  Contact:
 Mobilization for Survival, 1001 E. Keefe, Milwaukee, WI 53212, tel.
414-964-5158.

*  Web Watching . . .   News from the Canadian group EGALE -- Equality for
Gays and Lesbians Everywhere -- can be obtained by web page
(http://www.netfinder.com/surfwest/egale/welcome.html) or e-mail
([email-masked]); Votelink has launched its "voice of the Internet"
web-site, which invites users to "vote on world, U.S., state and city issues"
(http://www.votelink.com); A new web-site devoted to Ru Paul provides
biographical, video and audio clips of the singer
(http://www.webcom.com/~sdp3/rupaul.html).

*  Sound Bites . . .   "Lesbian and gay people are the last remaining group
against which public displays of bigotry are respectable" (media scholar
Larry Gross, in his book "Contested Closets").

*  Unsound Bites . . .   "I think if you suggest that you find some modes of
behavior unnatural, then you . . . .  get vilified.  That's when I found out
I was a misogynist, a bigot, a racist, a neo-nazi, a homophobe.  They had
signs.  They were screaming and frothing at the mouth.  Pure hatred.  It was
wild.  People just looking for attention."  (actor Mel Gibson, in "Playboy"
magazine, commenting on a lesbian/gay protest group that greeted him recently
when he added his hand prints to the cement in front of Mann's Chinese
Theater).

******************************************

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN GLAAD'S WORK.
YOUR PARTICIPATION IS VITAL!

Founded in 1988, the San Francisco Bay Area Chapter of GLAAD is a
volunteer-based community organization dedicated to cultural advocacy and
media activism.  GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse
representation of lesbian, gay and bisexual lives.  GLAAD challenges
homophobia in and through the mass media . . . shaping the forces that shape
our society.

MEDIA WATCH is a weekly report that may be reprinted or posted without prior
permission, provided that, when appropriate, attribution is made to Al
Kielwasser and/or GLAAD/San Francisco.  We greatly appreciate copies of any
publications that use all or part of the MEDIA WATCH.

To notify GLAAD/SFBA of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request membership information, please call our 24-hour Media Watch Hotline
(415-861-4588) or write to Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San
Francisco Bay Area Chapter, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA
94103; tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked].

LET THE MEDIA KNOW THAT YOU'RE WATCHING!

********************************************