Subject: GLAAD MEDIA WATCH, June 30
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 1995 12:56:00 -0400

M E D I A   W A T C H
for June 30, 1995

by

Al Kielwasser
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
San Francisco Bay Area Chapter

AND THE LOSER IS . . .   

The Media Research Center (MRC) -- a less-than-academic group based in
Alexandria, Virginia -- issues an annual report condemning prime-time TV
shows that "ridicule prominent conservative leaders and aggressively champion
abortion and the homosexual lifestyle."  The latest MRC list was released
last week, and identifies "Serving In Silence:  The Margarethe Cammermeyer
Story" as THE worst program of the past season (by contrast, the National
Education Association gave the made-for-TV movie its 1995 Award for the
Advancement of Learning through Broadcasting).

Other shows on MRC's "bad for you" list include the "Sisters" (NBC),
"Roseanne" (ABC) and "My So-Called Life" (ABC).  Each of these series
provided something the MRC "researchers" simply can't tolerate:  Non-hateful
depictions of homosexuality.

Of course, the MRC also issued a list of programs that demonstrate "What's
Right About Television."  That roster includes "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman,"
"Christy," and "Me and the Boys."  The very "best" program from last season
is, according to the MRC, the CBS series "Touched By An Angel."

When homophobic lists such as these are released (and given a fair amount of
media coverage), it's a good time to remind network executives that there is
an intelligent,  supportive audience for programs that provide fair, accurate
and diverse representations of lesbian, gay and bisexual lives.

***   Contact Ted Harbert, President, ABC Entertainment, 2040 Ave. of the
Stars, Los Angeles, CA 90067, tel. 310-557-7777, fax 310-557-7170; Peter
Tortorici, President, CBS Entertainment, 7800 Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles, CA
90036, tel. 213-852-2345; Chase Carey, President, Fox Broadcasting, P.O. Box
900, Beverly Hills, CA 90213, tel. 310-277-2211, e-mail [email-masked];
Warren Littlefield, President, NBC Entertainment, 3000 West Alameda Ave.,
Burbank, CA 91523, tel. 818-840-4444.

THE DEARTH OF DEPTH

On June 18, the "Rev." Fred Phelps of Topeka, Kansas jetted into San
Francisco to picket Pride Day celebrations.  In faxes sent to press outlets
all over the nation, Phelps announced his plans to disrupt the "Filthy Fag
Parade."  One fax featured a cartoon of a small boy holding a "God Hates
Fags" sign.  The caption read:  "Don't Worry, Little Bro . . . .  AIDS Cures
Fags!"

Of course, Phelps and his small group of hate mongers offered no serious
resistance to the Parade.  Unfortunately, however, one local TV station --
KPIX -- provided Phelps with a quality of coverage that is characteristic of
too many newscasts.  The KPIX evening news devoted a couple of minutes to the
Parade itself, and about an equal amount of time to an interview with Phelps.

Of course, Phelps and other professional bigots should be BIG NEWS.  The face
of organized, homophobic hate ought to be displayed in all its ugliness.
 However, brief and shallow reports -- like the KPIX broadcast -- might
actually serve to encourage such hate groups.  

In his new book "The Racist Mind," Raphael Ezekiel presents a detailed study
of hate groups in America.  "They live by publicity," Ezekiel explained in a
recent interview, "It's critical to this movement."  If the media want to
cover hate groups responsibly, Ezekiel says, they must cover them "seriously,
and in depth . . .  so you're not just doing press releases for a Klan
Wizard."

That seems like good advice for KPIX . . . and most TV stations across the
nation.

***   Contact Harry Fuller, News Director, KPIX-TV, 855 Battery Street, San
Francisco, CA 94111, tel. 415-362-5550, fax 415-765-8916; Fred W. Phelps,
Pastor, Westboro Baptist Church and Library, 3701 West 12th, P.O. Box 1886,
Topeka, KS 66604, tel. 913-273-0325.

MAKING (AIR)WAVES

Congressional efforts are well underway to strike down what meager broadcast
regulations still exist, with the exception of prohibitions against
"indecent" and "obscene" communications.  The de-regulatory politicians are
-- ironically -- quite anxious to expand any regulations concerning S-E-X.  

The rules that Congress wants axed are, unfortunately, those which
historically have encouraged fair use of the public airwaves and protected
the individual's right to "talk back" to television and radio conglomerates.

For the time being, however, citizens can still make use of an important
"personal attack rule."  This regulation -- enforced by the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC) -- could be particularly important in the age
of "Hate Radio."  

According to this rule, whenever a radio or TV station broadcasts a personal
attack, "a tape, script, or accurate summary of the attack must be provided
[by the station] to the persons or group attacked."  Generally, stations are
not required to maintain or provide the general public with such scripts or
tapes -- and they frequently refuse to do so.

Additionally, radio and TV stations are still required to maintain a "public
file" at an "accessible place in the community."  In that file, stations must
deposit "copies of applications filed with the FCC, reports of station
ownership, information about the use of the station by legally qualified
candidates for public office, special reports on employment practices, and a
copy of an FCC publication called 'The Public and Broadcasting -- A Procedure
Manual,' which explains how the public may participate in broadcast licensing
and related matters."  Commercial stations are also required to "keep in
their public file for three years written comments and suggestions that they
have received from listeners/viewers."

***   For more information about your rights (and responsibilities) as a
listener/viewer, request a free copy of "The FCC and Broadcasting"
(Publication 8310-100), available from Norman Goldstein, Chief, Complaints
and Investigations Branch, Enforcement Division, Mass Media Bureau, Federal
Communications Commission, Washington DC 20554.

POLITICALLY INCORRECT

David Yepsen, political editor for the "Des Moines Register," recently
reported on a controversial school board race involving a gay candidate,
Jonathan Wilson ("D.M.'s Four Pivotal Issues," June 26).  Incredibly, Yepsen
suggests that Wilson is "playing into the hands of his opponents" by being
active in the lesbian/gay community.

Yepsen writes:  "Wilson was among gay and lesbian officials who met with
White House officials to complain that President Clinton was backing away
from his commitment to their issues.  He is on the stump giving college-town
speeches . . . .  Key supporters say if he doesn't quit this, he really will
come off as 'the gay candidate' who wants to push his agenda on the board and
agitate opponents."

With a disparaging tone, Yepsen refers to Wilson's activism as "these outside
activities."  He writes:  "It's hard to see how the community wins from such
a polarizing fight that is likely to eclipse the real issues facing our
schools . . . ."

The journalistic double-standard employed by Yepsen is glaring, yet not
uncommon in the "mainstream" press.  Gay and lesbian issues are not "real"
issues.  They are trivial, "outside" activities.  They are less a struggle
for civil rights than a hobby.  

Gay and lesbian issues are a "distraction" at best, an "agenda" at worst.
 And while other citizens "defend their civil liberties," lesbians and gays
"push their agenda."  While heterosexuals "raise key issues," homosexuals
"polarize debate" (as if WE were responsible for the homophobia heaped upon
us!).

For a journalist, such bias is professionally unconscionable.  It undermines
both accuracy and fairness in reporting.

Clearly, the struggle for lesbian and gay CIVIL RIGHTS is just that.  It is a
struggle that is central to all levels of government -- from the school board
to the White House -- because, at all levels of government, those rights are
fiercely denied.  Teen suicide, hate violence, textbook censorship, HIV/AIDS
prevention  . . . these are nothing if not REAL issues "facing our schools."

***   To educate the press, send feedback to David Yepsen, "Register," Box
957, Des Moines, IA 50304, fax 515-286-2511, e-mail [email-masked].

MORE WRONG FROM THE RIGHT

Focus on the Family is a well-financed , Right Wing "Christian" lobby which
operates a prolific Public Policy Division.  One their recent publications is
a 116-page report by Larry Burtoft, Ph.D., "Setting the Record Straight:
 What Research Really Says About the Social Consequences of Homosexuality."  

Deftly disguised as  an academic overview, the report's "findings" arrive a
foregone conclusion:  "Given the extreme medical risks and the fundamental
psychological problems involved, the undermining of the natural family, and
the threat to freedoms which the homosexual movement constitutes, wisdom
seems to point to only one conclusion.  Homosexuality . . . is not harmless,
and certainly not beneficial . . . (it) threatens both personal and social
well-being" (p. 52).  

"Setting the Record Straight" is just one of a growing number of publications
that attempt to provide "scientific" justifications for gay bashing.  And
despite a rising interest in Right Wing politics and pundits, the mainstream
media have largely ignored this obscene phenomenon.  

***   Refer your favorite reporter right to the source:  Focus on the Family,
P.O. Box 35500, Colorado Springs, CO 80995. 

ON CLOSER EXAMINATION . . .

Throughout the nation, "Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps" (JROTC)
programs teach homophobia and violence to young children.  In San Francisco,
educators recently considered a resolution to eliminate these military
programs, which cost the city well over $500,000 a year.  On June 27, the
School Board voted on a resolution that would have phased out JROTC, creating
a task force "to develop alternative, creative, career-driven programs which
provide students with a greater sense of purpose and respect for self and
humankind."  

Unfortunately, the resolution failed . . . by a single vote.  Helping to
ensure that failure was a strongly-worded editorial in the "San Francisco
Examiner," one of the city's major news dailies ("Keep ROTC In City Schools,"
June 27). 

The "Examiner's" June 27 editorial page belittled JROTC opponents, calling
the School Board resolution "a grandstanding attempt to influence national
defense policy."  "Most San Franciscans," the newspaper opined, "do not share
the moral disapproval of all things military that is a major factor in the
possible demise of JROTC here."  

Significantly, however, the "Examiner" didn't bother to examine "all things
homophobic," which are not simply a part of U. S. military policy, but are
part of the JROTC curriculum itself.  JROTC textbooks encourage anti-gay
bigotry, and the program does NOT hire openly-gay instructors.

The "Examiner" also suggested that JROTC courses are some sort of educational
right, and that any effort to deny students this "choice" is driven by a
narrow (and narrow-minded) agenda.  "Unfortunately," the newspaper concluded,
"the valid question of educational choice is clouded by an ideological bias
against the nation's armed forces." 

The newspaper NEVER questioned whether or not lesbian and gay students should
have the "choice" to attend schools free from homophobia, or whether
tax-payers should have the "choice" to withhold funds from programs that
teach children to shoot guns and bash gays.

Finally, it is not -- as the "Examiner" claims -- an "ideological bias" that
motivates efforts to rid our schools of JROTC.  It is a bias for truth . . .
 because JROTC textbooks spread misinformation about AIDS and HIV.  It is a
bias for justice . . .  because JROTC policies promote, and enact,
homophobia.  And it is a bias for self-preservation . . .  because JROTC
programs create an environment in which angry young men think it is
permissible to pick up bats or guns, and spend the night spilling a little
more queer blood.

***   Well-deserved criticism can be directed to James A. Finefrock, Editor
of the Editorial Pages, "San Francisco Examiner," P.O. Box 7260, San
Francisco, CA 94120, tel. 415-777-7923, fax 415-512-1264, e-mail
[email-masked].  The growth of JROTC units is on the increase
nationwide; for information on the struggle to stop JROTC indoctrination,
call this toll-free hotline:  1-800-NO-JROTC.  

MEDIA BRIEFS

*  Newsletter News . . .   The Spring 1995 issue of "Action for Better
Schools" (newsletter of the National Coalition of Education Activists)
focuses on creating anti-violence programs.  Contact NCEA, P.O. Box 679,
Rhinebeck, NY 12572-0679, tel./fax 914-876-4580, e-mail [email-masked].

*  Special Writes . . .   Two monthly magazines provide notable coverage of
queer media in their current issues.  The July '95 "Movieline" (a mainstream
movie magazine) includes lesbian photographs, a review  of newly-published
books on lesbian/gay/bisexual cinema, AND a cover story on Drew Barrymore, in
which the young actress is asked about -- and discusses -- her non-platonic
relationships with women ("Movieline," 1141 South Beverly Drive, Los Angeles,
CA 90035).  A special issue (June '95) of a less-mainstream magazine, "The
Independent Film & Video monthly," is dedicated to "Queer Media," and
includes articles on AIDS and the media, queer film distribution, queer
foreign films, and a review of books on lesbian/gay media studies ("The
Independent Film & Video Monthly," 625 Broadway, 9th Fl., New York, NY
10012).    

*  Super Heroic Effort . . .  "Go-Go Boy" is an affirmative comic book
series, targeting lesbian, gay and bisexual teens.  The series represents a
unique mix of traditional adventure and comic innovation (one of the featured
super heroes is "The Invisible Lesbian").  Contact Mermaid Publications, P.O.
Box 91976, West Vancouver, BC, Canada V7V 4S4, tel. 604-926-8956, e-mail
[email-masked].

*  Tell Your Vision! . . .   KQED Television is seeking films and videos with
"strong statements on important subjects" for its widely-watched PBS series,
"Viewpoints."  Contact Greg Swartz, Manager of Broadcast Projects &
Acquisitions, KQED, 2601 Mariposa St., San Francisco, CA 94110, tel.
415-553-2269 . . .   "Rights & Wrongs," a weekly nonprofit "human global
rights TV magazine" is seeking story ideas and footage for the series' new
season.  Contact Danny Schechter or Rory O'Connor, Executive Producers, The
Global Center, 1600 Broadway, Ste. 700, New York, NY 10019, tel.
212-246-0202, fax 212-246-2677.

*  Web Watch . . .   The "Online Transgender Resource Guide"
(http://www.zoom.com:80/cds.pub/) features news, community resources,
personals, and much more; -mail inquiries to [email-masked] . . . ,
   The campaign to get a lesbian or gay character on "Star Trek:  Voyager"
has established a web address (http://www.gaytrek.com/gaytrek); you can also
write to Voyager Visibility Project, 1377 Fulton St., Ste. 3, San Francisco,
CA 94117, tel. 415-346-8806.

*  Pressing Issues . . .   Hot of the press is the inaugural (July 1995)
issue of "2002:  A Guide for the Next Generation."  This new lesbian/gay
magazine offers news and commentary with an emphasis on the Pacific Northwest
and "an editorial focus that pays tribute to the past, informs about the
present, and builds toward a common future."  Direct inquiries to the
publisher, Beyond 2002, 1202 E. Pike, Ste. 592, Seattle, WA 98122-3934, tel.
206-292-1440.

*  Queens Vs. Queen . . .   "Wilde" magazine in the U.S. and "Gay Times"
magazine in England have joined forces in an effort to have Oscar Wilde given
a posthumous pardon for his 1895 conviction on charges of "gross indecency."
 Distributing thousands of postcards and petitions, these magazines are
taking their campaign "right to the top . . . appealing to Her Majesty Queen
Elizabeth II, no less."  Contact:  The Wilde Campaign, "Gay Times," 116-134
Bayham St., London NW1 0BA; "Wilde," 530 Howard, #400, San Francisco, CA
94105.

*  Sound Bites . . .    "Everybody kind of accepts homosexuals, to a point.
 But we draw a line.  It's like the military says:  'you can be here. but
just don't tell us you're here, don't tell us you're in the room.'  I like
what I'm doing because it says, 'I am in the room'" (Actress Nora Dunn, who
play's a lesbian on "Sisters," in "US" magazine, July 1995) . . . .
   "Batman would be a sensation in any leather bar"  (Film critic Roger
Ebert, in "USA Today," June 16, 1995).

*******************************************

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN GLAAD'S WORK.
YOUR PARTICIPATION IS VITAL.

Founded in 1988, the San Francisco Bay Area Chapter of GLAAD is a
volunteer-based community organization dedicated to cultural advocacy and
media activism.  GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse
representation of lesbian, gay and bisexual lives.  GLAAD challenges
homophobia in and through the mass media . . . shaping the forces that shape
our society.

MEDIA WATCH is a weekly report that may be reprinted or posted without prior
permission, provided that, when appropriate, attribution is made to Al
Kielwasser and/or GLAAD/San Francisco.  We greatly appreciate copies of any
publications that use all or part of the MEDIA WATCH.

To notify GLAAD/SFBA of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request membership information, please call our 24-hour Media Watch Hotline
(415-861-4588) or write to Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San
Francisco Bay Area Chapter, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA
94103; tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked].

LET THE MEDIA KNOW YOU'RE WATCHING!

*********************************************