Subject: GLAAD MEDIA WATCH, June 16
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 1995 14:51:06 -0400

M e d i a W a t c h
for June 16, 1995
by
A l   K i e l w a s s e r
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
San Francisco Bay Area Chapter

THE "H" IS SILENT

Mainstream media pros seem to have a problem with the "H" words -- HOMOPHOBIA
and HETEROSEXISM.  Popular columnists, for instance, seem to do their
damnedest to avoid using either.  No matter how appropriate and accurate
these terms might be, journalists skirt all around them, exclusively using
less-specific references like "prejudice" or "intolerance."

A recent case in point is Ann Landers' column for June 15, 1995.  In that
column, Landers printed a letter from a "52-year-old gay father" who sought
her advice.  The man explained:  "My entire family knows I am gay.  My
companion, Jason, and I live near my children, and they often come home for
dinner . . . .  My oldest son is getting married soon.  He asked if I would
be able to contribute something toward the cost of the wedding . . . .  I
agreed . . . . A week later, my son told me he did not want me to bring Jason
to the wedding because some of his friends are not as understanding as he is,
and he doesn't want to be embarrassed on his wedding day."

The gay father also pointed out that "his ex-wife and her boyfriend will be
attending the wedding."  "I find this double standard insulting," he wrote.
 He then sincerely asked Landers what he should do, and concluded:  "Any help
you can give would be appreciated."

Landers replied:  "Too bad your son is such a wimp, but it sounds to me that
he's being pressured by his fiancee.  Leave the decision to Jason.  If he is
a first-rate fellow, he will encourage you to attend the wedding without him
. . . .  When all the unpleasantness is over, you will be glad you took the
high road."

Since when is ignoring homophobia -- and failing to challenge heterosexism --
a matter of "taking the high road?" 

And while Landers description of this man's son as a "wimp" might be
admirable, she conveniently avoids describing his behavior (or anyone else's)
as HOMOPHOBIC.  She does not acknowledge the obvious HETEROSEXISM of the
"double standard" described by the letter writer.

Moreover, it is exceedingly insulting for Landers to suggest that "first-rate
fellows" are gay men who encourage their partners to pretend they do not
exist.  But such an insult is, unfortunately, a classic "Landers Slander."

It seems that Ann Landers digs herself into a deeper hole every time she
addresses a lesbian, gay or bisexual issue.  In 1991, she told a mother that
her daughter's domestic partner had no right to be included in a family
photograph.  In 1992, Landers decided to hold a postcard poll on whether or
not lesbians and gays are miserable sinners.  That same year, she also
defamed bisexuals and spread misinformation about AIDS.  "Since AIDS has
reared its ugly head, I would not advise any woman to continue in a
relationship with a man who has sex with another male," she told the lover of
a bisexual man.  In 1994, Landers advised her vast readership to keep
information about homosexuality away from lesbian, gay and questioning
children:  "I'm not about to tell a 13-year-old that he or she may be
homosexual," Landers reasoned,  "Thirteen is too early to tell for certain."

This sad chronology could go on . . .  and on.

**  Clearly, this advice columnist is in desperate need of some good advice
herself.  Send plenty of it to Ann Landers, P.O. Box 11562, Chicago, IL
60611-0562.  You might also ask Landers to live up to the higher standards
set by her own sister -- and advice column competitor -- Abigail Van Buren
("Dear Abby"); Van Buren recently apologized for offering homophobic advice
and she publicly stated her commitment to promoting "understanding and
acceptance of gays and lesbians."

A SERIOUS COMIC

In the latest issue of "ShadowHawk," published by Image Comics, the superhero
-- an African American crime fighter -- dies of AIDS.  The United Press
International (UPI) and Associated Press (AP) wire services quickly picked up
on the story and -- according to the publisher -- the comic book has been
"thrown into the media buzz lines with a furry."

The superhero's sexual orientation (if any) is not emphasized in Issue #18,
though it certainly appears that he is neither gay nor bisexual.  A press
release announcing the publication lays out the issue's focal point:  "The
earth's deadliest villain doesn't always come after you with a knife or a
gun.  Sometimes it comes without warning.  Without reason.  Without remorse.
 Evil without a cure.  That villain is AIDS."

Early in the series, the comic book's villainous characters injected
ShadowHawk with HIV.  The superhero's fight against AIDS has been a part of
the plot ever since.  "Why did it have to be me?," ShadowHawk asks in one
panel, "I wasn't at risk . . .  I don't  DESERVE this!"  The next panel
carries a reply:  "Who does?"  

According to Jim Valentino -- the comic book's writer/artist/creator (and
Image Comics co-founder) -- "ShadowHawk" represents a unique effort at AIDS
education and prevention.  "As a father, I am concerned with the future of
not only my children, but the future of all children to come," Valentino
says.  "I want as many people as can be to be aware of AIDS and to join in
the fight against it.  You don't need super powers to fight AIDS, you just
need to fight."

"ShadowHawk" has supplemented the fictional storyline with factual AIDS/HIV
information.  While that information has tended towards pedantry -- and an
over-emphasis on abstinence -- the basic message is intended to educate,
sensitize and empower readers.  "A lot of kids will be exposed to the
message, maybe before they are exposed to the AIDS virus," said Randy
Chalenor, a spokesperson for Image Comics.

"ShadowHawk's" preachy tone -- and graphic, vigilante politics -- won't
appeal to all readers.  But, the series undoubtedly appeals to a unique
readership that might not be accessible through other media.

According to John Miller, associate editor of "Comics Buyer's Guide," most
comic book readers are 12- to 14-year-old boys.  Image Comics ranks a very
respectable third amongst comic book companies in the U.S. and Canada,
holding a 17 percent share of the market.

Each issue of the comic book contains several letters from readers.  While
praised by many, "ShadowHawk" has also elicited some all-too-common
complaints.  For example, in Issue # 11, a letter writer whines about the
comic book's "political correctness" and "becoming just another part of the
AIDS bandwagon."  The disgruntled reader asks:  "With what reasoning would
you give ShadowHawk HIV when guns, car accidents, drugs, alcohol, and smoking
each kill many more people and create many more tragedies each year than AIDS
does?  It is my hope that you can recognize the error of involving
ShadowHawk's plot with your own political beliefs, just as a newspaper editor
would recognize the error of involving a report with his own political
beliefs.  Such ideas are best left in editorials."

Unfortunately, some readers also seem to have "misread" the author's intent,
at least as far as debunking the "innocent victim" myth.  Wrote one fan, also
in Issue #11:  "No, you won't get any criticism from this corner . . .  I
think it makes for a more sympathetic character to have him be the one who
was not given AIDS through his own fault but, rather, the fault of evil drug
dealers.  He wasn't a drug user.  He didn't practice a homosexual lifestyle.
 He didn't have unprotected sex."  To which Jim Valentino replied:  "We have
sympathy for anyone suffering from this . . . disease.  ANYONE.  No one
'deserves' AIDS.  No one."

The comic book's creator has said that -- unlike Superman -- ShadowHawk will
not rise from the grave.  Valentino explained this decision as a reflection
of the seriousness of AIDS, which can't simply be "shaken off."  However, the
publisher has announced plans for "The New ShadowHawk."  The anticipated
series will feature a new character taking the place of the title role's
predecessor.

Given this publisher's ground-breaking approach to social issues, perhaps
Image Comics might also consider a series with affirmative -- and clearly
portrayed -- lesbian, gay or bisexual title characters.  Such media could be
invaluable in the fight against another deadly disease -- homophobia.

**  Send comments and compliments to Jim Valentino, "Out of the Shadows,"
31878 Del Obispo, # 118-312, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675.  Copy your
correspondence to Randy Chalenor, Promotions and Marketing Director,
Shadowline Ink, 31732 Rancho Viejo Road, Suite F, San Juan Capistrano, CA
92675, tel. 714-443-9078, fax 714-443-9174.

"SURF WATCH" TAKES ANOTHER LOOK

On-line media have become the latest targets of censorship campaigns around
the world.  In response, various "self-censorship" programs are being
developed by computer software companies.  Though touted as solutions to the
censorship problem, these programs raise troubling concerns for the lesbian,
gay and bisexual communities.

SurfWatch Software, Inc. recently released "SurfWatch," a new product that
the company describes as a "breakthrough."  According to the manufacturers,
SurfWatch "helps you deal with the flood of sexually explicit material on the
Internet.  By helping you to be responsible for blocking what is being
received at any individual computer, children and others using your computer
have less chance of accidentally or deliberately being exposed to unwanted
material."

To accomplish the program's objective, SurfWatch utilizes a database of
newsgroups, World Wide Web pages, and other on-line sources that the company
deems "objectionable."

Significantly, on-line activist Christopher Kryzan reports that this list of
censored sites had included many that "clearly do not contain sexually
explicit materials, but rather provide information, education, resources and
calendars of events."  Among the blocked information services were those
provided by the International Association of Gay Square Dance Clubs, the
Queer Resources Directory, the Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual Association of the
University of California at Berkeley, and the Maine gay Network.

Following a flood of complaints, the company has just announced that these
sites will NOT be blocked in the next release of SurfWatch.  Kryzan reports
that, "SurfWatch has also decided to put together an advisory board to assist
in the review of sites, and has committed to include members of the queer
community on this board."  He added:  "This is a very positive step, I
believe.  We will be working with them to identify key individuals who are
savvy with issues of queer youth online to assist in this role."

However, Kryzan urges caution as well as enthusiasm.  "This is just the
beginning," he said.  "There will be more SurfWatches to come, some probably
bearing the label of the Radical Right, and our vigilance in monitoring our
rights to access information must accelerate, if anything."  He further
warns:  "We must be vigilant in ensuring that some self-proclaimed Guardians
of the Internet do not impose their personal morals and values on the
community at large, conducting, in effect, a worldwide book-burning in this
electronic library . . . .  We must not let all topics of a gay, lesbian or
bisexual nature get swept up in a frenzy of censorship."

Blanket categorizations of lesbian and gay content as "objectionable" and
"obscene" are common, AND deeply immoral.  They devalue knowledge and truth,
encourage sex-negativity, and are too often used to bolster irrational
censorship efforts.  Inevitably, they work to deny the right of lesbian and
gay youth to fair, accurate and diverse information about WHO THEY ARE.  

For young, closeted or isolated queers, "self-censorship" software could be
used to block -- in a very real sense -- access to their history, their
community and, indeed, their future.

**  Share comments and concerns with SurfWatch Software, Inc., 105 Fremont
Avenue, Suite F, Los Altos, CA 94022, tel. 415-948-9500, fax 415-948-9577,
e-mail [email-masked]; Chris Kryzan, Executive Director, OutProud: The
National Coalition for Gay, Lesbian & Bisexual Youth, P.O. Box 24589, San
Jose, CA 95154-4589, e-mail [email-masked].

STRONG KOFY

James Gabbert -- the recently-out gay media mogul -- decided to do what
(remarkably) no broadcaster in the United States has yet to do . . . televise
live coverage of a Pride Parade.  Gabbert announced that his KOFY-TV station
would cover the 25th Annual San Francisco Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender
Parade and Pride Celebration (June 18, 1995).  

Since he began airing ads for the broadcast, Gabbert reported receiving a
number of boycott -- and death -- threats.  Hundreds of homophobic callers
threatened to put pressure on KOFY advertisers, especially those that might
advertise during the "demonic" broadcast.  

Gabbert rejected the threats, however.  A week before the scheduled
broadcast, he told the press:  "This is not just a gay event, it's an event
for all of San Francisco.  I thought it would be a really neat thing to
broadcast it, and I still do.  We're going to do it."

**  Direct feedback to James Gabbert, Owner and President, KOFY-TV, 2500
Marin Street, San Francisco, CA 94124, tel. 415-821-2020.

MILITARY MEDIA

The military invasion of San Francisco's public schools may yet be pushed
back -- permanently.  On June 27, the city's Board of Education will vote on
a resolution to phase out the "Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps" (JROTC)
program that currently blights the school district.  

Efforts to rid San Francisco schools of JROTC have consistently failed,
usually by a close 4-3 Board of Education vote.  Recently, however, Board
member Steve Phillips -- a one-time advocate of the program -- announced that
he can no longer support JROTC because of its homophobia.

If the San Francisco's Board of Education does succeed in axing the JROTC, it
would send a clear message to the rest of the nation, underscoring what these
programs REALLY teach our children.

JROTC programs are essentially an agency of the Pentagon and Department of
Defense.  Though these programs operate in local school districts, they are
governed by national military policy and regulations.  Across the nation,
JROTC courses utilize textbooks and other educational media that promote
homophobia, encourage violence, valorize racism and spread medical
misinformation about AIDS/HIV.  

Additionally, JROTC programs appear to violate the Equal Opportunity
Employment (EOE) policies adopted by many cities and school districts,
including San Francisco.  While these EOE policies prohibit discrimination on
the basis of sexual orientation, JROTC programs -- just like the U.S.
Military of which they are a part -- openly discriminate against lesbian, gay
and bisexual instructors and staff.  In fact, JROTC programs do not hire
"out" employees.  Instead, the JROTC fully embraces the military's unjust and
unfair "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" regulations, which stifle free speech and
perpetuate rampant homophobia.  

Adding insult to injury, JROTC programs do not come cheaply to cash-poor
school districts.  For example, the San Francisco Board of Education must
spend approximately $700,000 a year to support existing JROTC courses.
 Alternatively, the Board's budget includes NEXT TO NOTHING in funds for
lesbian/gay programs or curricula.

Clearly, JROTC programs cost too much -- not only in scarce dollars, but also
in common sense.  Our public schools MUST be places where we aggressively
combat homophobia, right along with other forms of ignorance.  But as long as
the JROTC is present and prominent, our classrooms will not only fail to
combat homophobia, but -- in a very direct and concrete way -- they become
places where homophobia is actually NURTURED.

**  Before June 27 -- Contact President Dan Kelly and All Members, San
Francisco Board of Education, 135 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA
94102-5299, tel. 415-241-6000, fax 415-241-6429.  Also, send letters
condemning JROTC homophobia to the major dailies in San Francisco:  "San
Francisco Examiner," 110 Fifth Street, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel.
415-777-2424, fax 415-777-2525, e-mail [email-masked]; "San Francisco
Chronicle," 901 Mission street, San Francisco, CA 94103-2988, tel.
415-777-1111, fax 415-777-7100.  

**  After June 27 -- The growth of JROTC units is on the rise nationwide.
 For information on the struggle to stop JROTC indoctrination in your city,
call this toll-free hotline:  1-800-NO-JROTC.  An anti-JROTC organizing kit
and other resources are available from the Central Committee for
Conscientious Objectors, 1515 Cherry Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102, tel.
215-241-7196, fax 215-567-2096, e-mail [email-masked], or the Central
Committee for Conscientious Objectors/Western Region, 655 Sutter Street,
#514, San Francisco, CA 94102, tel. 415-474-3002, fax 415-474-2311, e-mail
[email-masked].

MEDIA BRIEFS

*  Keep Hope Online . . .   The Youth Assistance Organization (YAO) promotes
the positive uses of online media for lesbian, gay and bisexual teens.
 Through YAO, queer or questioning youth can participate in e-mail counseling
([email-masked]) and access a World Wide Web page (http://www.youth.org/).  

*  Challenging Classroom Censors . . .   The National Coalition Against
Censorship (NCAC) has launched a special program for "Countering Censorship
In The Schools."  To support the work of NCAC in defense of the rights to
read, to teach and to learn, one can become an "NCAC Friend."  For a modest
donation, "Friends" receive NCAC's invaluable newsletter -- "Censorship News"
-- five times a year, along with other timely information.  For details on
how to get involved, contact the National Coalition Against Censorship, 275
Seventh Ave., New York, NY 10001, tel. 212-807-NCAC, fax 212-807-6245.

*  Because Knowledge Is Power . . .   The non-profit DataCenter supports
"research dedicated to progressive social change."  The DataCenter collects
information from over 500 periodicals and operates a clipping service,
public-interest library, and customized research program.  Thanks to a recent
grant, the Center can now offer its information services at subsidized rates
to "non-profit groups that are defending freedom of expression."  Contact:
 DataCenter, 464 19th St., Oakland, CA 94612, tel. 510-835-4692, fax
510-835-3017, e-mail [email-masked].

*  Web Watch . . .   "Pen & Sword" is the title of a new on-line magazine
intended "to bring the best in gay writing and art to the World Wide Web"
(http://www.rahul.net/jag/) . . .   Deborah Levinson, Project Director for
"e.m.a.N.a.t.e.," invites individuals and organizations to submit public
service announcements (PSAs) to the appropriate section of her Web Site
(http://webnetserv.com/psa/); Levinson is also working on the Gay and Lesbian
Web Alliance (e-mail [email-masked] or [email-masked]) . . .   Queer
Web browsers can also access the "NewtWatch" Web page, which has been
described as "all the dirt on Newt Gingrich you could ever possibly want or
need" (http://www.cais.com/newtwatch) . . .   OutProud!, a groundbreaking
lesbian/gay/bisexual youth service organization, can also be reached on the
World Wide Web (http://www.outproud.org/outproud/).

*  Biblio-Birthday . . .   "Modern Words" -- "a thoroughly queer
international literary journal" -- celebrates its first anniversary this
month.  For more information, contact "Modern Words," 350 Bay St., No. 100,
Box 325, San Francisco, CA 94133.

*  Sub/Missives . . .   The editor of a special issue of "P-Form," an
international interdisciplinary art magazine, is seeking submissions (in any
form, excluding poetry) on the subject of  "pornography and performance art."
 The deadline is October 1, 1995 and (SASE) queries should be sent to D.
Travers Scott, P.O. Box 762, Portland, OR 97207-0762, tel. 503-331-0925, fax
503-331-1753, e-mail [email-masked] . . .   "Black Sheets" -- "a
quarterly magazine for the sex-positive queer communities" -- is also seeking
on-going submissions, which should be sent to Bill Brent, P.O. Box 31155, San
Francisco, CA 94131, tel. 415-431-0171, e-mail [email-masked] . .
.   The "First Annual John Preston Prize for Erotic Writing" will be awarded
at Brown University this October, and the deadline for submissions is July 15
1995.  Send entries or inquiries to "John Preston Prize," 530 Howard St.,
#400, San Francisco, CA 94105 . . .   These and other submission calls are
regularly printed in "Steam" magazine, which is also "always in need of new
(non-fiction, sex-positive) writers."  For details, contact Scott O'Hara,
"Steam:  A Quarterly Journal For Men," Rte. 2 Box 1215, Cazenovia, WI 53924.

*******************************************

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN GLAAD'S WORK.
YOUR PARTICIPATION IS VITAL!

Founded in 1988, the San Francisco Bay Area Chapter of GLAAD is a
membership-based community organization dedicated to cultural advocacy and
media activism.  GLAAD/SFBA promotes the fair, accurate and diverse
representation of lesbian, gay and bisexual lives.  GLAAD challenges
homophobia in and through the mass media . . . shaping the forces that shape
our society.

MEDIA WATCH is a weekly report that may be reprinted or posted without prior
permission, provided that, when appropriate, attribution is made to Al
Kielwasser and/or GLAAD/SFBA.  We greatly appreciate copies of any
publications that use all or part of the MEDIA WATCH.

To notify GLAAD/SFBA of any defamatory or affirmative media coverage, or to
request membership information, please call our 24-hour Media Watch Hotline
(415-861-4588) or write to Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San
Francisco Bay Area Chapter, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA
94103; tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked].

*********************************************