Subject: GLAAD MEDIA WATCH, May 27
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 04:21:29 -0400

M E D I A   W A T C H
for May 27, 1995

by
A L   K I E L W A S S E R
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
San Francisco Bay Area Chapter

HEART ATTACK

With the Paramount Pictures release of "Braveheart," the film's 
producer/director/star -- Mel Gibson -- continues his career in gay bashing.

In this much-hyped film, gays are (once again) singled out for gratuitous 
contempt.  The ostensibly "fact-based" epic portrays Edward II (believed by 
historians to be gay) as an excessively foolish and vain homosexual, deserving 
of the audience's ridicule.  In screenings thus far, audiences have 
consistently laughed (on cue) every time the character appears on screen, and 
have even cheered as Edward's lover is tossed out a window to his death.

In their rush to pay homage to Mel Gibson., the mainstream media have ignored 
"Braveheart's" homophobia  The "New York Times" instantly declared the film "a 
stroke of brilliance."

Gibson has been further flattered by his appearance on the covers of several 
major magazines, including the May issue of "GQ" and the June issue of "US."

In her six-page "GQ" cover story ("Mad Mac"), Stephanie Mansfield never once 
mentions the possibility of "Braveheart's" homophobia, even though she was 
treated to a pre-screening of the film before it's final edit and release.  In 
"Wild At Heart," "US" magazine's Jancee Dunn offers -- over the course of five 
dense pages -- only a parenthetical comment about the film's anti-gay bias.  
Of Edward II, she writes  "It's a part that could have been written by Andrew 
Dice Clay, and one which critics will be sure to seize upon."  Nevertheless, 
"US" opted to use Gibson's face on the "subscription cards" tucked into each 
magazine.  Apparently, homophobia sells.

In its "Summer Movie Preview" issue (May 26), "Entertainment Weekly" also 
gives ample page space to "Braveheart."  Once again, homophobia is utterly 
ignored (the editors did manage, however, to include a photo of Gibson's 
oft-discussed butt).

The myopic hype continued on "Larry King Live" (CNN, May 26).  Appearing on 
the popular talk show, Gibson said of his "Braveheart":  "It's the kind of 
film I always wanted to see when I was growing up."

Unfortunately, "Braveheart" IS the kind of film that too many children already 
see; Hollywood consistently markets an unbalanced homophobia to youth 
audiences. Is it any wonder that young men perpetrate most of the anti-gay 
hate violence in this country?

Bleating out further praise for "Braveheart," Larry King told Mel Gibson:  
"You ought to be damned proud!"  Like King himself, not one caller to the 
world-wide broadcast ever raised (or was allowed to raise?) the subject of 
homophobia.  Instead, every call came from a gushing Gibson fan.

While "Braveheart" appears inconsistent with historical fact, it certainly IS 
consistent with Mel Gibson's own history of contempt for gays.  He has 
regularly made a point of ridiculing the gay community, publicly suggesting 
that gay men and gay sex are disgusting and unnatural.  Gibson has also stated 
that he feared being perceived as gay because he is an actor.  "I became an 
actor despite that," he told one interviewer, "But with this look, who's going 
to think I'M gay?  It would be hard to take me for someone like THAT."

Obviously, there's nothing BRAVE about being homophobic.  Everyday, lesbians 
and gay men are attacked and assaulted.  And like a COWARDLY school-yard 
bully, Mel Gibson just keeps cheering on the bashers.

**  Send much-needed feedback to any or all of the following:  Sherry Lansing, 
Chair, Paramount Pictures, 5555 Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90038, tel. 
213-958-5000 (Ext. 8393); Arthur Cooper, Editor-In-Chief, "GQ," 350 Madison 
Avenue, New York, NY 10017, tel. 212-880-8800, e-mail [email-masked]; Jann S. 
Wenner, Editor-In-Chief (and a gay man who should know better), "US:  The 
Entertainment Magazine," 1290 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10104-0298, 
fax 212-767-8214, e-mail [email-masked]; James Seymore, Managing Editor, 
"Entertainment Weekly," 1675 Broadway, New York, NY 10019, e-mail 
[email-masked] (online comments can also be posted to America Online, 
keyword "EW");  Larry King, "Larry King Live," c/o CNN, and Ed Turner, 
Executive Vice President, CNN, One CNN Center, P.O. Box 105366, Atlanta, GA 
30348-5366, tel. 404-827-1700, fax 404-737-3323.

**  For a contrasting perspective on some of the same historical material, 
rent a copy of Derek Jarman's film Edward II.

A LESBIAN VOICE

Lesbian rocker Melissa Etheridge fills the (over-sized) cover of "Rolling 
Stone's" June 1 issue.  An important "rock 'n role model" for lesbian and gay 
youth, she makes a striking image -- decked out in gold lame pants, guitar in 
hand, Etheridge passionately belts out another hit.  "She's the Boss," the 
headline declares.

Inside the magazine, Jancee Dunn's feature offers a portrait of Etheridge AND 
her sexual orientation.  The article pays ample and forthright attention to 
Etheridge's "longtime love, director Julie Cypher."  "They do a lot of . . . 
bickering back and forth like an old married couple," Dunn writes, "Which, in 
a sense, they are, having been together for five years . . . .  The two 
complement each other nicely."

On an ironic note:  This feature story also includes extensive commentary from 
comedian/TV star Ellen DeGeneres, who is a good friend of both Cypher and 
Etheridge.  DeGeneres has given reporters a routine "no comment" in response 
to persistent questions about her own sexual orientation.  That situation 
remains unchallenged in this story (and Etheridge, according to Dunn, "does 
not support outing").  Interested DeGeneres fans will have no trouble reading 
between the lines here (but it's unfortunate that they have to).

In Dunn's article, Etheridge's own voice also comes through -- loud and 
clear.  Of growing up in Kansas without lesbian role models, Etheridge 
observes:  "There were no movies, except in the early '80s, there was 'Making 
Love,' which starred two men and Kate Jackson.  Then, flash forward two years 
later, I kiss my first girl, and fireworks go off, and music is playing.  And 
then it's just . . . clear."

**  Feedback should be directed to Jann S. Wenner, Editor and Publisher, 
"Rolling Stone," 1290 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10104, tel. 
212-484-1616, fax 212-767-8214, e-mail [email-masked].

SPINNING UNTOLD TALES

"Homeless teens with HIV" are the subject of Dennis Cooper's essay in the June 
1995 issue of "Spin," a pop music-culture magazine targeted to the youth/young 
adult market.  Whether they are queer or straight, many HIV+/homeless teens 
struggle to earn a living as "gay hustlers."  Their story is an important one, 
too often untold.

Copper's essay ("AIDS:  Words From the Front") focuses on "Jason," a "young, 
reckless, fledgling drummer in a ragtag Hollywood punk band" who is "also 
HIV-positive and homeless."  In telling Jason's story, the author adopts a 
decidedly-subjective, moral tone that won't please every reader.  Still, 
Cooper does allow his subjects to speak for themselves.  And they do so with 
an eloquence that forcefully captures both their pathos and passion, their 
triumphs as well as their tragedies.

Ultimately, Cooper's essay -- however "flawed" or partial -- is a welcome 
contribution on a subject that most mainstream media (and even some 
lesbian/gay outlets) prefer to ignore.  Given our society's wide-spread 
persecution of young sex workers, such ignorance is intolerable.

With this feature story, "Spin" provides a break in the silence that truly 
equals death.

**  Comments should be sent to Craig Marks, Executive Editor, "Spin," 6 West 
18th Street, New York, NY 10011, e-mail [email-masked] (letters intended 
for publication should addressed to "Attn:  Point Blank").

EXEMPLARY EXAMINATION

On May 23, California's Attorney General -- Dan Lungren -- joined with six 
other state attorneys general in attacking lesbian/gay/bisexual civil rights.  
"In the name of the people of California," Lungren asked the U.S. Supreme 
Court to uphold Colorado's "Amendment 2," a 1992 initiative that would have 
deprived lesbian, gay and bisexual citizens of equal protection under the 
law.  Lungren argued that lesbians and gays are NOT victims of persistent 
discrimination and that the U.S. Constitution was NOT meant to protect "every 
and any special interest group."

Lungren's homophobic diatribe was roundly condemned by the "San Francisco 
Examiner," one of the city's major daily newspapers.  In a May 25 editorial 
statement ("Lungren's Harmful Meddling"), the "Examiner" argued that Lungren 
had acted "without even a veneer of legal respectability" in supporting 
Amendment 2.

The editorial explained:  "Colorado's state Supreme Court held courageously
-- and correctly, in our view -- that the controversial amendment would
unconstitutionally bar homosexuals from having an 'effective voice in
government' . . . .  Lungren says he is not embracing Amendment 2 as such but
is opposed to the . . . broad dictum that any 'independently identifiable
group' is entitled to equal protection under the U.S. Constitution.  He does
not want this standard imposed . . . because it would confer rights on
'deadbeat dads, blue-eyed people, bald people, fat people.'  C'mon.  Is that
what the courts are talking about?"

The "Examiner's" editorial concluded:  "Lungren might as well own up to his
true intent of scoring a point against gay rights for the benefit of his
right-wing constituency.  The trouble is, this is not what he has been
elected to do . . . ."

**  Send comments to James A. Finefrock, Editor of the Editorial Pages, "San
Francisco Examiner," P.O. Box 7260, San Francisco, CA 94120, tel.
415-777-7923, fax 415-512-1264, e-mail [email-masked].

MEDIA BRIEFS

*   The "Disappearing Queer Blues?" . . .   According to "USA Today" ("Back
On Blue?," May 11), John -- a gay character on the prime-time series "NYPD
Blue" -- might not be back next season.  Currently, the ABC series ranks
amongst the coveted "top twenty" shows, watched by over 20 million TV viewers
each week.  Calls for John's return should be directed to Steven Boccho and
David Milch, Executive Producers, "NYPD Blue," Steven Boccho Productions,
10201 W. Pico Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90035; copy your correspondence to Ted
Harbert, President, ABC Entertainment, 2040 Avenue of the Stars, Los Angeles,
CA 90067, tel. 310-557-7777, fax 310-557-7170, e-mail [email-masked].

*   S-E-X on V-H-S . . .   A call for entries has been issued for the 3rd
Annual Gay Men's Safe Sex Video Contest, co-sponsored by Frameline, Falcon
Studios, "Wilde" magazine, and the S.F. AIDS Foundation.  The sponsors are
"strongly encouraging low budget, amateur videos edited in-camera."  Entries
should be 10 minutes in length or less, and cash prizes will be awarded in
each of five categories.  Deadline for entries:  July 1, 1995.  For details,
contact Safe Sex Video III, S.F. AIDS Foundation, P.O. Box 426182, San
Francisco, CA 94142-6182, tel. 415-864-5855.

*   On The Mag . . .  The June ' 95 issue of "Mother Jones" magazine features
a cover story on "Bustin'  Rush."  Molly Ivins and Stephen Talbot write,
respectively, about that "Lyin' Bully" and "Wizard of Ooze" -- Rush Limbaugh.
 The issue also includes "Big Fat Lies," a sampling of Limbaugh's deceptions,
as collected by Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting (F.A.I.R).  Contact:
 Jeffrey Klein, Editor-In-Chief, "Mother Jones," 731 Market St., Suite 600,
San Francisco, CA 94103, e-mail [email-masked].  "Mother Jones" is
available online through PeaceNet (telnet igc.apc.org) and URL
(http://www.mojones.com or gopher://gopher.mojones.com).

*   Limbaugh Humbug . . .   More of Rush Limbaugh's endless lies are
carefully dissected in "The Way Things Aren't:  Rush Limbaugh's Reign of
Error" (The New York Press, 1995).  Published under the auspices of F.A.I.R,
the book examines "over 100 outrageously false and foolish statements from
America's most powerful radio and TV commentator."  Contact:  F.A.I.R, 130 W.
25th St., New York, NY 10001, tel. 212-633-6700.

*   Compassionate Update . . .   Hollywood Supports has announced that "an
unprecedented list of national television programs, daytime soap operas, news
shows and cable outlets" will honor the "Day of Compassion" on June 21 by
"devoting programming to AIDS awareness and people affected by HIV/AIDS."
 First-time participants committed to date include nineteen cable networks.
 Contact:  Hollywood Supports, 8455 Beverly Blvd., Suite 305, Los Angeles, CA
90048, tel. 213-655-7705, fax 213-655-0955, e-mail [email-masked].

*   Detailing Hate Radio . . .   The June '95 issue of "Details" magazine
includes an extensive profile of Spencer Hughes, "the youngest talk-radio
host in America, and possibly the angriest."  Hughes is on staff at KSFO, an
all-conservative (and all-homophobic) San Francisco-based talk radio station,
owned by ABC/Capitol Cities.  Contact:  Joe Dolce, Editor-In-Chief,
"Details," 350 Madison Ave., New York, NY 10017.

*   Media Watch Allies . . .   The Freedom Forum is a nonpartisan,
international, programmatic foundation dedicated to "free press, free speech
and free spirit for all people."  Contact:  The Freedom Forum Pacific Coast
Center, 70 Washington St., Suite 210, Oakland, CA 94607, tel. 510-287-9960,
fax 510-287-9980.

*   "I Do" vs. "I Don't" . . .   In the May/June '95 issue of "MS," the
magazine's executive editor examines some of the urgent issues surrounding
the lesbian/gay marriage debate WITHIN the lesbian/gay community ("Is
Marriage The Answer?:  Domestic Partnership Activists Don't Think So").
 Contact Barbara Findlen, Executive Editor, "MS," 230 Park Ave., New York, NY
10169, e-mail [email-masked].

*   E-Media Watch . . .   Teachers and others experiencing homophobia at a
college or university can contact the International Homophobia Hotline via
electronic mail ([email-masked]).  Initiated by Lynda Hart as "a
watchdog in the academy," the e-mail Hotline provides both support and
advocacy.  Hart is also the author of "Fatal Women:  Lesbian Sexuality and
the Mark of Aggression," a book that examines murderous literary and film
portrayals of lesbian/bisexual women.  By phone, Hart can be reached at
215-898-8603.

*   Air Pollution Alert . . .  DJ Gary Bryant -- of Northern California radio
station KFRC -- has been playing the role of Schlock Jock-In-Residence.  On
May 23, he described sports writers as a "bunch of limp wristed little jerks"
and complained that Bay Area media are "wimpy and feminized."  Contact:
 KFRC, 500 Washington St., San Francisco, CA 94111, tel. 415-986-6100.

*   Sound Bites . . .   "As far as I'm concerned, I think that a band like
Pansy Division saves people's lives.  A lot of kids go through life just not
knowin' what the hell they are, or what their sexuality is all about, and
they just kind of go confused.  But if someone has sort of the same ideas and
feelings they do, and a sense of humor thrown on top of it, then it really
helps'' (Bille Joe, lead singer of Green Day, commenting on his group's
opening act -- the queer punk band Pansy Division).

*   UnSound Bites . . .   "I'm terribly vindictive.  If somebody ripped me
apart in the press, I'd kill them.  I would HAVE them killed, and no one
would ever know" (Mel Gibson to "GQ" writer Stephanie Mansfield, in the May
'95 issue).

 # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

WE MUST CONFRONT THE MEDIA'S HOMOPHOBIA IN ORDER TO CURE IT!  TO NOTIFY
GLAAD-SFBA OF ANY DEFAMATORY OR AFFIRMATIVE MEDIA COVERAGE CALL OUR 24-HOUR
MEDIA WATCH HOTLINE AT 415-861-4588, OR WRITE TO "MEDIA WATCH," GAY & LESBIAN
ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION-SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, 1360 MISSION STREET,
SUITE 200, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94103; tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893,
e-mail [email-masked].

FOUNDED IN 1988,  THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER OF GLAAD IS A
MEMBERSHIP-BASED COMMUNITY ORGANIZATION DEDICATED TO CULTURAL ADVOCACY AND
MEDIA ACTIVISM.  GLAAD-SFBA PROMOTES THE FAIR, ACCURATE AND DIVERSE
REPRESENTATION OF LESBIAN, GAY AND BISEXUAL LIVES IN ALL FORMS OF MASS MEDIA.

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"MEDIA WATCH" is a weekly report that may be reprinted or posted without
prior permission, provided that, when appropriate, attribution is made to Al
Kielwasser and/or GLAAD-SFBA.  We greatly appreciate copies of any
publications that use all or part of the "MEDIA WATCH."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Thank you for your participation in GLAAD's vital struggle to combat
homophobia in and through the mass media . . . the most awesome forces in
contemporary society.