Subject: GLAAD MEDIA WATCH, May 12
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 10:50:48 -0400

M E D I A   W A T C H
for May 12, 1995

by
A L   K I E L W A S S E R
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
San Francisco Bay Area Chapter

A PLACE FOR US?

"Matt Fielding" is the regular gay character (who has been irregularly
a-sexual) on the prime-time drama "Melrose Place."  While his romantic life
has been hinted at occasionally, Matt has -- for the most part -- failed to
rise above a classic TV stereotype.  As with many other portrayals, this
homosexual character could more accurately be described as "homosexless."  

Even on a (relatively) progressive series like "Melrose Place," the on-camera
displays of affection are disproportionately reserved for heterosexual
players.  Matt's character is merely defined -- but not fully depicted -- as
a gay man.  In stark contrast to his heterosexual counterparts, Matt has been
denied even the simplest of "kissing scenes."

Over the past two weeks, however, this double standard received a
long-overdue (albeit limited) nudge.  In a relatively-direct romantic
portrayal, Matt was featured in a complicated tryst with a married closet
case.  The plot began as Matt met "Paul," a new doctor on the staff of the
hospital where Matt works.  A series of flirtations culminated in a scene in
Matt's dimly lit bedroom.  As the camera paned across Matt's bare chest, Paul
-- dressed only in his shorts -- is seen wandering into the hall.  There, he
makes a phone call to his wife and lies that he is stuck "working" late at
the hospital.

More suggested sex followed in the next episode, as did an ugly confrontation
between Matt and Paul's wife.  She accused Matt of "seducing" her husband
("Sure, that's how you people are"), which Matt denied ("I didn't seduce
him").  While his denial lacked the poetry of protest rhetoric or activist
rage, Matt's weak response might be excused in this context (after all, his
romantic dreams -- once again -- became a nightmare).  

What's significant here is NOT the horror of Matt's sexual relationship, but
the very fact that this relationship was given some tangible form in the
first place.  It's a minor breakthrough, but a breakthrough nonetheless.
 Besides, the melodramatic genre all but requires unhappy endings, especially
for the "good guys."  And, to the show's credit, "Melrose Place" has
consistently portrayed Matt as a genuinely moral and good hearted person.  

The potential clearly remains.  "Melrose Place" may yet depict the gay kiss
that eludes Matt (and every other gay TV character).  If he can be shown
experiencing the same pain as his straight neighbors, Matt should be allowed
-- at the very least -- to exhibit an equal passion.

**  Send feedback to Aaron Spelling, Darren Star, and E. Duke Vincent,
Executive Producers, "Melrose Place," Spelling Enterprises, 5700 Wilshire
Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90036; Copy your comments to Chase Carey, President,
Fox Broadcasting, P.O. Box 900, Beverly Hills, CA 90213, tel. 310-277-2211.
e-mail e-mail [email-masked].

A DEATH IN THE LIFE 

"Soon a tractor-trailer roared toward him on the freeway below and, with
perfect timing, he jumped the 25 feet into its path.  The impact ripped away
most of his clothes.  He was killed instantly."  

With that stark description, Craig Wilson begins his compelling feature
story, "A Gay Son's Suicide, A Mom's Rebirth."  The article appears on the
front page of the "Life" section, in "USA Today's" May 9th issue.

Wilson's article relates the powerful saga of Mary and Bobby Griffith.  Mary
-- a fundamentalist "Christian" -- could not accept her son's homosexuality,
and so she worked diligently to rid Bobby of "the most despicable evil of
them all."  But, of course, Bobby didn't change; he died.

Bobby killed himself in 1983, and it was then that Mary began the "journey
from conservative church-goer to parade-marching activist."  Wilson touches
upon many of Griffith's tireless efforts as he charts her encouraging
transformation.  Through this story, Wilson reveals -- with tangible force --
how the homophobia of the "religious right" can be "pretty deadly."  Wilson
also includes comments from other lesbian and gay activists, who highlight a
range key issues (suicide, resource programs, educational equity, PFLAG,
cultural invisibility).  

Wilson's feature -- which opened at a death scene -- concludes,
appropriately, on a life-affirming note.  Mary gets the last word, and it's a
word of advice to mothers everywhere.  If you have a gay son, she says,
 "Just love him."

It is no exaggeration to suggest that this kind of reporting could very well
help to save a life or two (or even two thousand).  "USA Today" is the
nation's largest newspaper, reaching an estimated 5.5 million readers.  

**  Send compliments to "USA Today," 1000 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, VA 22229,
tel. 703-276-3400, fax 703-276-5513, e-mail [email-masked].

DYSFUNCTIONAL FAMILY ASSOCIATION

The "American Family Association" is a heterosexual supremacist organization
dedicated to media monitoring.  Claiming an "active involvement of ONE
MILLION PLUS supporters," AFA president Don Wildmon describes his
organization as "America's #1 pro-family organization fighting for wholesome,
family-oriented TV."  Actually, AFA members advocate for heterosexist
censorship and homophobic defamation on mainstream radio and television.  

The AFA's most recent project involves a "Nationwide Television Values
Survey," mailed to homophobes across the nation.  The "results" of the
"survey," the AFA says, will be shared with major TV advertisers.  

The "survey" materials (which double, of course, as an AFA fundraising
letter) state:  "Our children are crying for network TV to teach them values.
 But instead of giving them values, Hollywood and network TV give your
children . . . OVER 15,000 SEXUAL ACTS AND INNUENDOES IN A GIVEN YEAR!"  

"The single best way to change what's on TV," Wildmon writes," is to CONVINCE
CORPORATE AMERICA TO STOP SPONSORING TV SHOWS which TEACH our children to be
. . . SEXUALLY ACTIVE . . . ANTI-GOD and ANTI-FAMILY." 

With a frightening dedication to abject censorship, Wildmon also tells his
followers:  "It isn't good enough for you to just protect your own children
from the moral poison of network TV.  To give your children and your family
real protection, YOU HAVE TO WORK TO PROTECT THEIR PEERS, TOO."  In other
words, no one should be allowed watch what AFA members don't like.

This new AFA campaign specifically targets the Unilever corporation.
 According to Wildmon, Unilever is "a leading sponsor of programs promoting
homosexuality."  For sponsoring such "trash on television" and "an endless
stream of network TV filth," Wildmon has called for a boycott of Unilever
products (which include Calvin Klein cosmetics, Close-Up toothpaste, Q-tip
swabs, Vaseline products, Lipton tea, and the Dove, Lifebuoy and Lever 2000
brands of soap).

With his "values survey," Wildmon has shipped out thousands of "boycott
cards" that list Unilever's many products.  "Send a message by leaving these
products on the shelf," the card instructs each bigot-shopper.  AFA members
have also been given pre-printed complaint postcards, addressed to Unilever.

Once again, it's important for Unilever to hear from more enlightened
consumers, who support the fair, accurate and diverse representation of
lesbian and gay lives.  The company should be encouraged to publicly expose
and denounce the AFA's hateful agenda.

**  Contact Richard A. Goldstein, President, Unilever United States Inc., 390
Park Avenue, New York, NY 10022, tel. 212-888-1260 or 800-598-1223, fax
212-906-4411; Donald Wildmon can be reached at the AFA, P.O. Drawer 2440,
Tupelo, MS 38803, tel. 601-844-5036; Modem monitors can track (and
counteract) AFA activities on America OnLine (in the publications library of
the Religion forum; keyword "RELIGION") and CompuServe (in the Religion
forum's Christianity library; "GO RELIGION"); AFA publications are also
available through AFA's section of CompuServe's Christian Interactive Network
("GO CIN") or by e-mailing the AFA cult directly ([email-masked]).

GAY WRITES IN ENGLAND

"Homosexuality:  A Guide for Parents and Teachers" is the title of a
profoundly homophobic book, written by British psychologist Joan Gomez and
currently published by Robert Hale, Inc.  Though deceptively packaged as an
educational resource, there are more fears than facts in this so-called
"guide."  

Gomez' book is riddled with defamation, distortion and outright lies.  Here,
for example, are just three of the many sweeping, "scientific" claims made by
the author:  

1.  "Gay lifestyles lead to an increased likelihood of all the sexually
transmitted diseases" (p.16).

2.  "The fabric of the gay lifestyle, at any rate up to thirty-five, is made
of casual encounters involving sex with a stranger" (p. 104).

3.  "The big item missing from the homosexual act is the absence of
creativity.  In heterosex, there is the possibility, risk, or hope of
generating a new human being, plus a huge ongoing responsibility . . . .
 Homosexual intercourse, by contrast, is a mere pastime" (p. 113).

Of course, it really would be a mistake to judge THIS  book by its cover.
 Yet, that's PRECISELY the mistake that the author and publisher hope many
readers will make.  Books like  "Homosexuality:  A Guide for Parents and
Teachers" (and similar video tapes) do -- unfortunately --  pop up on the
shelves of classrooms and libraries.  After all, they APPEAR to be
"educational."  Even worse, these titles appeal to "readers in crisis" -- a
mother seeking to understand her newly-out daughter, for example, or a gay
teen wrestling with thoughts of suicide.

The authors and publishers of such books must be held to the accountability
they currently evade.  As James Baldwin observed, over three decades ago:
 "They have destroyed and are destroying hundreds of thousands of lives and
do not know it and do not want to know it . . . . But it is not permissible
that the authors of devastation should also be innocent.  It is the innocence
which constitutes the crime." 

Together with their backers, these homophobic writers -- Joan Gomez, Paul
Cameron, Joseph Nicolossi, and the like -- are far from innocent.  And while
they should not be censored, they MUST stand accused.

** Direct critical feedback to John Hale, President, Robert Hale, Inc.,
Clarkenwell House, 45-47, Clarkenwell Green, London EC1R OHT, tel.
011-44-171-251-2661. 

MEDIA BRIEFS

*  Activism, By The (Text)Book . . .   "Rethinking Schools" is an
independent, quarterly magazine concerned with strategies for promoting
equity and justice in the urban classroom.  Contact "Rethinking Schools,"
1001 E. Keefe Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53212, tel. 414-964-9646, fax 414-964-7220;
"Affirming Sexual Diversity:  An Interactive Model For Aids Educators" is a
program that draws much needed attention to the relationship between
homophobia and HIV (a concept sadly ignored in most health textbooks).
 Contact the Affirming Diversity Educational Project, Gay and Lesbian
Community Action Council, 310 East 38th St., Rm. 204, Minneapolis, MN 55407.

*  Sex Scenes . . .   A forthcoming issue of "The Journal of Popular Film and
Television" intends to focus on "sex and sexuality in cinema," including
representations of homosexuality.  Send inquiries (with a SASE) to Dr. Harvey
Roy Greenberg, 320 West 86th St., New York, NY 10024-3139, fax 718-430-7282.

*  Reporter's Resistance . . . GALAH -- the Gay and Lesbian Atheists and
Humanists -- reports this bit of good news in their May '95 newsletter:
 Lesbian journalist Julie Brienza has received a $255,000 settlement from the
"Rev." Vic Eliason, a fundamentalist broadcaster who launched an on-air
campaign to get Brienza fired from her job at the UPI wire service.  Contact
Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund, 6030 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 200,
L.A., CA 90036-0601, tel. 213-937-2728, fax 213-937-0601; GALAH Newsletter,
P.O. Box 15803, Los Angeles, CA 90015.

*  Youth & Media . . .   The theme for San Francisco State University's 1995
Summer Media Institute is "Evidence of Things Not Seen:  Youth & Media."  The
five-day program will bring together young activists and journalists from
around the country "to discuss the role and character of media, and to engage
in hands-on training in producing alternative, pro-active media."  Contact
ISES/CrossRoads, P.O. Box 2809, Oakland, CA 95609, tel. 510-843-7495, e-mail
[email-masked].

*  Macintosh Masters. . .   "Women Online" is a Macintosh and Internet
referral/consulting service, working "to empower women with technology."
 Call 415-252-9366 or e-mail [email-masked].  

*  Sorry, Wrong Number . . .   The toll-free telephone number listed for the
Public Broadcasting System/Corporation for Public Broadcasting in last week's
"Media Watch" is no longer in service; the new PBS/CPB "comment line" number
is 800-272-2190.  PBS can also be reached at tel. 703-739-5000, fax
703-739-5295. 

*  Roles Of Film . . .   Two queer roles add to the appeal of "Exotica," the
new film from Canadian writer-producer-director Atom Egoyan.  A gay pet shop
manager and a lesbian strip club owner are among the characters in Egoyan's
film, which has been described with high praise by a number of queer movie
goers and critics.  Contact Atom Egoyan, Ego Film Arts, c/o Miramax
Releasing, 7920 W. Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90069.

*  Show And Television . . .   The topic for the Lesbian and Gay Teachers
Association (LGTA) annual youth essay contest is:  "Gay, lesbian and bisexual
characters now appear more frequently in the movies and on television.  How
has this affected your perception of gay, lesbian and bisexual people?"  The
deadline for entries is May 19, 1995.  Contact LGTA, P.O. Box 021052,
Brooklyn, NY 11202-0023.

*  CyberDykes . . .   The latest issue (vol. 5, issue 3) of "Deneuve"
magazine -- a slick lesbian glossy -- "picks the hippest hangs in cyberdyke
space."  Kelly Burns provides a convenient, annotated list of "women-only,
dyke-only or dyke-oriented discussion spaces" on the Internet.  Contact
"Deneuve," 2336 Market St., #15, San Francisco, CA 94114, tel. 415-863-6538,
fax 415-863-1609.

*  Making Radio Waves . . .   Jim Hightower -- described as a "kickass
populist and radio personality" -- takes the stage on June 29, 7:30 PM, at
the Calvin Simmons Theater in Oakland.   Hightower is considered something of
an antidote to Rush Limbaugh and  other "hate talk" radio personalities; his
appearance will benefit "CrossRoads," a magazine of "political analysis and
Left dialogue."  Contact "CrossRoads, P.O. Box 2809, Oakland, CA 94609, tel.
510-843-7495.

*  Sound Bites . . .   "It's time to raise less corn and more hell" (Radio
host Jim Hightower, on resisting oppression).

*  Un-Sound Bites . . .   "I just want to say, if Deb Price appears at your
bookstore on June 24th, I'll personally come in and shoot her.  I think fags
are wrong . . . .  I'll shoot her, got that?"  (Portions of a death threat
left on the answering machine of Sisterspirit Bookstore in San Jose,
California, where lesbian journalist Deb Price is scheduled to appear for a
book signing).

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

WE MUST CONFRONT THE MEDIA'S HOMOPHOBIA IN ORDER TO CURE IT!  TO NOTIFY
GLAAD-SFBA OF ANY DEFAMATORY OR AFFIRMATIVE MEDIA COVERAGE CALL OUR 24-HOUR
MEDIA WATCH HOTLINE AT 415-861-4588, OR WRITE TO "MEDIA WATCH," GAY & LESBIAN
ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION-SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, 1360 MISSION STREET,
SUITE 200, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94103; tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893,
e-mail [email-masked].

FOUNDED IN 1988,  THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER OF GLAAD IS A
MEMBERSHIP-BASED COMMUNITY ORGANIZATION DEDICATED TO CULTURAL ADVOCACY AND
MEDIA ACTIVISM.  GLAAD-SFBA PROMOTES THE FAIR, ACCURATE AND DIVERSE
REPRESENTATION OF LESBIAN, GAY AND BISEXUAL LIVES IN ALL FORMS OF MASS MEDIA.

-----------------------------------------------------

"MEDIA WATCH" is a weekly report that may be reprinted or posted without
prior permission, provided that, when appropriate, attribution is made to Al
Kielwasser and/or GLAAD-SFBA.  We greatly appreciate copies of any
publications that use all or part of the "MEDIA WATCH."

Thank you for your participation in GLAAD's vital work!