Subject: GLAAD MEDIA WATCH, May 8
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 01:50:41 -0400

M E D I A   W A T C H
for May 8, 1995
B Y

Al Kielwasser
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
San Francisco Bay Area

HATE REVIVAL

"Homosexuality is not only contagious but inescapably brutal."  That,
according to film historian Vito Russo, is the final message of "Cruising."
 "But this is the truth," said William Friedkin, director of the film.

Released in 1980, "Cruising" sparked nationwide protests by those who had had
enough of Hollywood's relentless homophobia.  In many ways, the film served
as a catalyst for the modern queer media movement.  Lesbians and gays -- so
long talked to and about in Hollywood films -- had begun to talk back.

"Cruising's" hateful and horrific portrayal of homosexuality was paned by
both critics and activists alike.  Film critic Stephen Farber predicted that
the film would be remembered "not as a scandal or an outrage but as just
another lousy movie."  

In fact, "Cruising" should be remembered as all of these things.  It is still
an outrage, and a lousy movie.  But what is most scandalous today is that
"Cruising" is now being dubbed a "classic," in a grotesque effort to
re-market the film.

"Shocking Gray," a national catalog of consumer products FOR LESBIANS AND GAY
MEN, offers videotape copies of "Cruising" for $19.95.  The catalog
description makes no meaningful reference to the film's history or its
homophobic message.  Instead, "Cruising" is (deceptively) described in this
way:  "Al Pacino plays a New York cop who infiltrates the male S&M subculture
to trap a killer preying on gay men.  A thrilling, very controversial murder
mystery!"

In San Francisco, the Roxie Cinema is showing a new 35mm print of "Cruising,"
which the theater describes as a "powerful and graphic thriller" that is
"ready for another look."  For the film's (re)opening, the Roxie has even
booked a personal appearance by William Friedkin himself.  

According to notes in the Roxie Cinema's Spring schedule, "Cruising" was
originally "debated in the press and protested by gay activist groups, and,
as a result, ignored by the public . . .  it opened and closed quickly,
hastily written off by its beleaguered producers and swept under the rug."
 Significantly, these notes take no serious account of gays "beleaguered" by
Hollywood homophobia and the hate violence it inspires.  Perhaps that
explains why the Roxie put a homophobe (Friedkin), but not a homosexual, on
the theater's opening night ticket.

Meanwhile, at the "Bay Area Reporter"  -- San Francisco's lesbian/gay news
weekly -- writers of the "Out There" column (who go by the clever pseudonyms
Clark Kent and Connie Casserole) made a virtual pitch for the film.  They
informed (and misinformed) their readers:  "We'll be the first in line at the
Roxie's upcoming re-release of William Friedkin's 1980 gay leather serial
killer psychodrama, 'Cruising.'"

**  Share your thoughts on "Cruising" with Rick Hutcheson, President,
Shocking Gray Company, P.O. Box 15710, San Antonio, TX 78212-5710, tel.
210-223-9048, fax 210-224-1043;  Elliot Levine (program coordinator) and Bill
Banning (owner), Roxie Cinema, 3117 16th Street, San Francisco, CA 94103;
 Chris Culwell, Arts Editor, "Bay Area Reporter," 395 Ninth Street, San
Francisco, CA 94013, tel. 415-861-5019 or 415-861-7230.

ROCK 'N ROLE MODELS

Jill Sobule's new music video, "I Kissed A Girl," tells the story of a woman
who does just that.  The song explores a bisexual woman's first lesbian kiss,
about which she sings:  "Her kiss was sweet/It was just like kissing me/I'll
probably do it again."

The video depicts the singer's romantic fantasies about both men and women.
 Throughout, the tone is upbeat and the message is positive.  "I Kissed A
Girl" is currently in regular rotation on MTV.

**  Contact Judy McGrath, President, MTV Networks, 1515 Broadway, New York,
NY 10036, tel. 212-258-8712 or 212-258-8000, fax 212-258-8718, e-mail
[email-masked].

LIBRARY FREEDOM

A Rutland, Vermont woman has vowed to rid her local library of any children's
books that include fair and factual references to homosexuality.  According
to "USA Today," Karol Raiche "says she'll search the city library's
children's section for books featuring gay men and lesbians and will ask the
library to remove them." 

Raiche became panicked after her six-year-old son checked out "Daddy's
Roommate" from the Rutland Free Library, which also keeps a copy of "Heather
Has Two Mommies" on the shelf.  Written for young readers, both books offer
age-appropriate depictions of lesbian and gay families.

June Osowski, Reference Librarian at the Rutland Free Library, fears that not
only these children's books, but "any book in the library" might become
subject to homophobic challenges.  "Our concern is with the erosion of the
right to read," Osowski said.

**  Those who support the right to read are encouraged to send letters to
Paula Baker, Director, Rutland Free Library, 10 Court Street, Rutland, VT
05701, tel. 802-773-1860.  Copy your correspondence to the local newspaper:
 David Moats, Editor, "Rutland Herald," P.O. Box 668, Rutland, VT 05702, tel.
802-747-6121.  Resources on intellectual freedom and the right to read are
available from The American Library Association's Gay and Lesbian Task Force
(GLTF Clearinghouse, ALA Office for Outreach Services, 50 East Huron St.,
Chicago, IL 60611) the ALA Office of Intellectual Freedom (tel.
312-280-4223).

THE PHOBIC BROADCASTING SYSTEM?

The Public Broadcasting System (PBS) seems to be cracking under the
conservative pressure of the new Congress.  The television service has been
repeatedly targeted as a source of "homosexual propaganda" at the
"tax-payers' expense."  And while nothing could be further from fact, the
threats to cut PBS funding -- leveled by homophobic politicians -- have taken
their toll.

Recently, PBS softened its support for "Coming Out Under Fire," an
award-winning documentary about lesbians and gays in the military.
 Originally, the documentary was scheduled for a national broadcast.  PBS
reconsidered, however, and is now offering "Coming Out Under Fire" as an
optional program.  

As such, "Coming Out Under Fire" is likely to get picked up by PBS affiliates
in San Francisco, New York and other large (and more progressive) cities.
 However, many PBS affiliates may bury the documentary in a bad time slot, or
simply ignore it altogether.  The message sent by PBS executives on this
issue will certainly not empower any courageous stations, but it will lend
support to homophobic affiliates.

The mission of PBS -- as mandated by law -- is to "help us see America whole,
in all its diversity" and to "provide a voice for groups in the community
that may other wise be unheard."  Once again, it's time to remind PBS of that
noble intent.

**  Write to Ervin Duggan, President, PBS, 1320 Braddock Place, Alexandria,
VA 22314-1698, tel. 800-356-2626, fax 703-739-5295.

MEDIA BRIEFS

*  Report On Reporting . . .   The National Lesbian and Gay Journalists
Association (NLGJA) and the Radio and television News Directors Foundation
(RTNDF) have just published "Another Perspective:  A Report on Gay and
Lesbian Issues in Electronic Journalism."  This 50-page booklet summarizes
the results of a two-year survey of radio/TV news managers and gay/lesbian
broadcast journalists.  Contact NLGJA, 874 Gravenstein Highway So., Suite 4,
Sebastopol, CA 95472, tel. 707-823-2193.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

WE MUST CONFRONT THE MEDIA'S HOMOPHOBIA IN ORDER TO CURE IT!  TO NOTIFY
GLAAD/SFBA OF ANY DEFAMATORY OR AFFIRMATIVE MEDIA COVERAGE CALL OUR 24-HOUR
MEDIA WATCH HOTLINE AT 415-861-4588, OR WRITE TO "MEDIA WATCH," GAY & LESBIAN
ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION/SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, 1360 MISSION STREET,
SUITE 200, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94103; tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893,
e-mail GLAAD [email-masked].

FOUNDED IN 1988,  THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER OF GLAAD IS A
MEMBERSHIP-BASED COMMUNITY ORGANIZATION DEDICATED TO CULTURAL ADVOCACY AND
MEDIA ACTIVISM.  GLAAD/SFBA PROMOTES THE FAIR, ACCURATE AND DIVERSE
REPRESENTATION OF LESBIAN, GAY AND BISEXUAL LIVES IN ALL FORMS OF MASS MEDIA.

--------------------------------------------------------

"MEDIA WATCH" is a weekly report that may be reprinted or posted without
prior permission, provided that, when appropriate, attribution is made to Al
Kielwasser and/or GLAAD-SFBA.  We greatly appreciate copies of any
publications that use all or part of the "MEDIA WATCH."

Thank you for your participation in GLAAD's vital work!