Subject: GLAAD MEDIA WATCH, April 28
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 08:29:42 -0400

M E D I A   W A T C H
for April 28, 1995

by
A L   K I E L W A S S E R
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
San Francisco Bay Area Chapter

QUEER FOLK

Celebrating 35 years in the entertainment industry, folk music legends Peter,
Paul & Mary have issued "Lifelines," a new CD that features various guest
artists.  One of the numbers is a duet between Mary Travers and Holly Near.
 The song -- "Home Is Where The Heart Is" -- was written by Sally Fingerett,
and is an ode to queer families.

Written as if sung by a mother to her daughter, the lyrics touch upon the
lives of various couples, with references to both lesbian and gay
individuals.  The chorus reminds listeners:  "Home is where the heart is, no
matter where the heart lives."  As one fan of the new CD remarked, the song's
theme is "that family values are gay values."

Significantly, Warner Brothers has released "Home Is Where The Heart Is" as
the CD's first single.

**  Compliments can be sent to Donna Russo, Warner Brothers Records, 75
Rockefeller Plaza, 20th Floor, New York, NY 10019, tel. 212-275-4500, fax
212-275-4500.  Copy your correspondence to Gerald Levin, CEO, Time-Warner,
Inc., 75 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10019, tel. 212-522-1212.  And don't
forget to request the song when calling your local "Adult
Contemporary/Middle-of-the-Road ('Soft Rock')" radio stations.

NOTHING BETTER TO WRITE

Recently, widely-syndicated gossip columnist Liz Smith wrote a piece on
Chasity Bono, who came out in an April18th interview with "The Advocate"
magazine.  Amazingly, Smith -- who is a "semi-closeted" lesbian herself --
refers to Chastity Bono's "sexual preference."  Of course, most mainstream
journalists have begun to use the more-accurate terminology, "sexual
orientation."  "Preference" carries the unfortunate implication that lesbians
and gay men can be changed; it's a term that appeals to the homophobic
imagination, in which evil queers prefer immorality over righteousness.

Of Bono's lesbianism, Smith writes:  "Now, you may think this is old news,
but Chastity, the daughter of Sonny and Cher, has actually never spoken about
her sexual preference.  She was 'outed' by the tabloids (with help from gay
activists who have nothing better to do than tell other people how to live)."
 Smith's blanket condemnation of "gay activists" is also inaccurate, as well
as unfair.

The practice of "outing" has been driven by tactics that are much more
complex than Smith admits.  She seems to assume that referring to a public
figure as "lesbian" or "gay" can only be a defamatory invasion of privacy,
rather than a simple statement of fact.  Moreover, many pro-outing activists
have never participated in outing the relatives of celebrities (but have
focused, instead, on the celebrities themselves).  In his book "Contested
Closets:  The Politics and Ethics of Outing," media researcher Larry Gross
points out that, even at their height, the lesbian and gay press virtually
ignored the Bono rumors.  He concludes that Bono's outing was largely
"committed by the tabloid press and by mainstream journalists, not by gay
activists."

Smith's cumulative record on lesbian/gay issues has been less-than-admirable.
 In 1984, for example, she expressed public disgust at Harvey Fierstein
because he actually (gasp!) thanked his gay lover at the Tony Awards.  Over
the years, Smith has also used her column to paint an impossible picture of
the pervasiveness of heterosexuality; by insisting that such notables as Rock
Hudson and Malcom Forbes were straight men, Smith has actively engaged in
what Larry Gross describes as "one of the most common forms of journalistic
deception."

Honestly, does Liz Smith have nothing better to write about?

**  "Fan Mail" for Liz Smith is received by the Los Angeles Times Syndicate,
218 South Spring Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012, tel. 213-237-7987.

OUT IN SPACE

The late Gene Roddenberry, creator of the "Star Trek" media empire, once
vowed to include lesbians and gays in the cast of characters who inhabit his
science fiction universe.  Unfortunately, that promise has yet to be kept.
 However, it now seems that another television show -- "Babylon 5" -- will be
the first to go where no science fiction series has gone before.  The show's
producers have announced plans for queer inclusion.

Some time ago, J. Michael Straczynski, the creator/producer of "Babylon 5,"
made this observation:  "We have no intention of avoiding the gay question.
 We will not, however, do a 'gay story,' which is usually described by those
friends and acquaintances of mine in derogatory terms . . . a la 'fags are
people too.'  The sense I get is that they resent the hell out of that kind
of patronizing approach.  The one suggestion that comes most often is, 'Why
not simply introduce a character, we get to know that character over the run
of a season, and at some point discover, practically in passing, that this
person is bi or gay . . . .'  And that's what we're going to do."

Reportedly, the telepathic Talia Winters -- a regular "Babylon 5" character
-- will be revealed as bisexual.  Ardent series fans suspect that Winters
will have an "intimate relationship" with the character of Susan Ivanova, an
officer aboard the Babylon 5 space station.

Since its debut in January 1994, "Babylon 5's" ratings have been notable.
 The series has ranked amongst the top of the charts for one-hour television
series, making it an especially attractive vehicle for affirming bisexuality.

**  Send feedback to J. Michael Straczynski, Executive Producer, "Babylon 5,"
Babylonian Productions, 14431 Ventura Blvd., Suite 260, Sherman Oaks, CA
91423, e-mail [email-masked].  Copy your correspondence to Dick
Robertson, President, Warner Brothers Domestic Television Distribution, 4000
Warner Blvd., Burbank, CA 91522, tel. 818-954-5877, fax 818-954-5820.

TROUBLED TIMES

In its April 22 edition, the "Richmond Times-Dispatch" editorialized in favor
of a Virginia Supreme Court decision that denied lesbian mother Sharon
Bottoms the custody of her young child.  In a grossly homophobic tirade --
entitled "Prudent Jurists:  In the End, Reason Prevailed" -- the
"Times-Dispatch" argued that Bottoms' "lesbian lifestyle" poses a threat to
the well-being of her three-year-old son.

According to the "Times-Dispatch," lesbianism is a "lifestyle violating both
nature and Virginia law."  The newspaper further argued:  "Had Sharon Bottoms
been awarded custody of her son, her live-in lesbian lover was to help raise
him.  Such an unconventional home life would have created an embarrassment
for the boy at best -- and been a damaging, corrupting torment for him at
worst."

The editorial came to this galling conclusion:  "In deciding to spare the boy
such a bizarre upbringing, the jurists made a prudent decision: one that
finally -- mercifully -- puts the CHILD'S interests first."

Clearly, the Virginia court decision put the interests of homophobes above
all others.  In defending those interests, the "Times-Dispatch" supports the
most "bizarre upbringing" of all.  The newspaper ultimately argues that is
better for Bottoms' son to be raised in a climate of (heterosexual) bigotry,
rather than (homosexual) love.

Apparently, the managers of the "Times-Dispatch" have never availed
themselves of the expanding research literature on lesbian/gay parenting,
which refutes every premise of this ignorant editorial.  Competent studies of
the children of lesbian and gay parents offer no evidence of a "damaging,
corrupting torment."  Rather, the data suggest that a child's development is
not significantly affected by a parent's sexual orientation.

A child's growth IS affected, however, by a parent's (or guardian's)
homophobia.  Bigotry can strike at every aspect of child development, from
self-esteem to physical health.

It is homophobia -- and not homosexuality -- that corrupts family life.

**  Criticism should be directed to Ross Mackenzie, Editor, "Times-Dispatch,"
P.O. Box 85333, Richmond, VA  23293-0001, fax 804-775-8072.  To fight back
with facts, arm yourself with resources from the Gay and Lesbian Parents
Coalition International (GLPCI, P.O. Box 50360, Washington, DC 20091, tel.
202-583-8029), Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere (COLAGE, 2300 Market
Street, #165, San Francisco, CA 94114, e-mail [email-masked]), and the
Committee on Lesbian and Gay Concerns or the Committee on Children, Youth and
Families at the American Psychological Association (APA, 750 1st Street, NE,
Washington, DC 20002-4242, tel. 202-336-6041).

MEDIA BRIEFS

*  Groundbreaking Journalism . . .   "Notes From The Underground" is a
publication offering "Objective News for Ottawa's Transcommunity."  The
all-volunteer periodical is published in print and electronic versions by
Gender Mosaic, a transgender community group in Canada.  Contact "NFTU," P.O.
Box 7421, Vanier, ON, Canada K1L 8E4, tel./fax 613-741-3007, e-mail
[email-masked].

*  A Sorry Reply . . .   The long-standing rumor has finally been shot down.
 "DJ," one of the characters on the ABC sitcom "Roseanne," will not come out
as a gay teen.  Network spokesperson Ed Citron has told interested viewers:
 "I'm sorry, but there is no such episode planned according to the production
company."  Send comments to Ed Citron, ABC Television, 2040 Ave. of the
Stars, Los Angeles, CA 90067, tel. 310-557-7777, e-mail [email-masked].

*  Call Of The Wilde  . . .   The Kentucky Gay and Lesbian Library and
Archives is calling upon individuals everywhere to write letters to
newspapers for publication on May 25, 1995.  That date marks the 100th
anniversary of Oscar Wilde's imprisonment in London for "indecency and
sodomy."  Letter writers can use this historic occasion to draw attention to
the continuing oppression of lesbian, gay and bisexual people.  For a sample
letter or more information about the Oscar Wilde Project, e-mail
[email-masked].

*  Newsletter News . . .   "c.c.watch" is an "independent newsletter
monitoring the religious right."  Contact Paula Xanthopoulou, Editor, tel.
305-751-5001, fax 305-759-7193, e-mail [email-masked].

*  Gay TV On Pay TV . . .   On April 26th, the CINEMAX cable network aired
a1993 Canadian documentary, "Out:  Stories of Lesbian and Gay Youth."
 Compliments can be sent to CINEMAX, The HBO Building, 1100 Ave. of the
Americas, New York, NY 10036.

*  Civil Writes . . .   October 1995 will mark the second annual celebration
of Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual History Month in the U.S.  To publicize this
project, the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Teachers Network (GLSTN) and the
Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual History Month (LGBHM) Coordinating Council have
announced an essay competition for young queers (under 22).  Winning writers
receive a cash prize and the essays will be reprinted in mainstream and
lesbian/gay publications around the country.  Entries must be received by
June 15.  For details, contact GLSTN, Box 390526, Cambridge, MA 02139-0006,
e-mail [email-masked] or [email-masked].

*  Getting It On . . .   The QueerLinks Project of Digital Queers/San
Francisco will host "Queer Activists Online," a forum offering a general
overview of strategies for using the Internet and various online
services/resources.  The event takes place on May 20th, 1:00 to 5:00 PM, at
Golden Gate University in San Francisco.  For details, contact DQ/SF, 1360
Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-252-6282, e-mail
[email-masked].

*  People's Forum . . .   On May 6th, People For the American Way will
present a forum entitled "Public Art/Private Expression."  Promising a
"lively discussion concerning public art and freedom of expression," the
forum is scheduled for May 6, 1:30 - 3:30 PM, at Stanford University.  For
more information, call 800-743-6768.

*  Signs And Wonders . . .   A visitor to the Tourist Club -- a bar in
Truckee, California -- reports that a wooden sign in the tavern declares:
 "THIS IS A HAPPY BAR, NOT GAY!"  Calls to the bar have been met, so far,
with "no comment."  Your comments can be directed to Duncan Reed, Tourist
Club, P.O. Box 427, Truckee, CA 96160, tel. 916-587-9964.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

WE MUST CONFRONT THE MEDIA'S HOMOPHOBIA IN ORDER TO CURE IT!  TO NOTIFY
GLAAD-SFBA OF ANY DEFAMATORY OR AFFIRMATIVE MEDIA COVERAGE, CALL OUR 24-HOUR
MEDIA WATCH HOTLINE AT 415-861-4588 OR WRITE TO "MEDIA WATCH," GAY & LESBIAN
ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION-SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, 1360 MISSION STREET,
SUITE 200, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94103, tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893,
e-mail GLAAD [email-masked].

FOUNDED IN 1988,  THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER OF GLAAD IS A
MEMBERSHIP-BASED COMMUNITY ORGANIZATION DEDICATED TO CULTURAL ADVOCACY AND
MEDIA ACTIVISM.  GLAAD-SFBA PROMOTES THE FAIR, ACCURATE AND DIVERSE
REPRESENTATION OF LESBIAN, GAY AND BISEXUAL LIVES IN ALL FORMS OF MASS MEDIA.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"MEDIA WATCH" is a weekly report that may be reprinted or posted without
prior permission, provided that, whenever appropriate, attribution is made to
Al Kielwasser and/or GLAAD-SFBA.  We greatly appreciate copies of any
publications that use all or part of the "MEDIA WATCH."

Thank you for your participation in GLAAD's vital work!