Subject: GLAAD MEDIA WATCH, April 7
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 1995 04:07:09 -0400

M E D I A   W A T C H

by
A L   K I E L W A S S E R
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
San Francisco Bay Area Chapter

MTV'S LIFE LINE

After 19 valiant episodes, "My So Called Life" is at serious risk for
cancellation by the ABC television network.  Included amongst the program's
cast of regulars is "Rickie," a gay teenage character (played by the
outspoken -- and out -- gay actor, Wilson Cruz).

Whatever ABC's final decision might be, the MTV cable network has already
opted to re-run all 19 episodes of "My So called Life."  That decision
continues MTV's tradition of support for progressive and pro-social
programming.  The music video network will air the series each weekday,
throughout the month of April.

The MTV action calls to mind another crossover effort, in 1981, which saved
"The Paper Chase."  Like "My So Called Life," "The Paper Chase" was  a
critically acclaimed series that failed to pull in the mass audiences
demanded by commercial broadcasters.  After CBS dropped "The Paper Chase,"
the Public Broadcasting System (PBS) picked up the series.  Following a stint
on PBS, "The Paper Chase" eventually found a spot on the Showtime pay-cable
system.  Showtime purchased the original 22 episodes and funded new
installments as well.

Of course, PBS is SUPPOSED to provide important, diverse, "quality" TV
programs . . . programs that might lack a certain "commercial appeal."  But
would PBS pick up a series like "My So Called Life?"  The prospect seems
doubtful today; the renewed vigor of Congressional homophobes has seemingly
cut both the budget and the boldness out of the Public Broadcasting System.

Compliments should be directed to, Judy McGrath, President, MTV Networks,
1515 Broadway, New York, NY 10036, tel. 212-258-8712, fax 212-258-8718,
e-mail [email-masked].  Programming suggestions can also be sent to Ervin
Duggan, President, PBS, 1320 Braddock Place, Alexandria, VA 22314, tel.
703-739-5000 or 800-356-2626, fax 703-739-5295.  Finally, efforts to keep "My
So called Life" alive and on ABC are on-going; to join in the grassroots
campaign, contact Operation Life Support, P.O. Box 641200, San Francisco, CA
94164-1200, tel. 415-292-5809, fax 415-292-4111, e-mail [email-masked].

PLEASE, RAIN ON THIS PARADE !

"Parade" magazine is a color tabloid supplement included with the Sunday
editions of newspapers across the country.  Walter Scott's "Personality
Parade" is a regular (and regularly homophobic) column, in which the
magazine's readers ask questions about various celebrities.

In the April 2 issue, a reader wrote:  "My cousin says Keanu Reeves is gay.
 I don't believe it.  Who is right?"  Walter Scott answered:  "Since the days
of silent movies, rumors about which stars are gay have circulated in
Hollywood -- often begun by jealous second-rate actors.  But even in this
more enlightened age, when being homosexual in showbiz carries far less
stigma than ever before, speculating about someone's sexual orientation
serves no purpose."

To begin with, Scott could bone up on his Hollywood history.  "Rumors about
which stars are gay" often arose from the fact that these stars WERE gay; as
such, some rumors had more to do with accuracy than jealousy.  Also, Scott's
view that "speculation serves no purpose" is completely heterosexist.  Fans
(and gossip columnists!) constantly assume that actors and actresses are
heterosexual; so what's wrong with occasionally assuming that they are NOT?
 It's only reasonable, after all.

Keanu Reeves may not be queer (he has, in fact, gone so far as to issue a
press release authenticating his heterosexuality).  But, many actors are gay
or lesbian.  And many are still, unfortunately, in the closet.  The
proportionally few entertainers who have come out do not deny the
pervasiveness of Hollywood homophobia.  The stigma certainly persists.

Routinely, in his columns, Walter Scott refers to "gay rumors" as if they
were some sort of plague.  He treats the rumor as the essential problem, and
completely ignores the real menace -- homophobia.  Moreover, Scott regularly
dishes up gossip about the heterosexual exploits of celebrities, without ever
questioning whether these "straight rumors" are justified.  In other words,
heterosexuality is a given; homosexuality, however, must be proven beyond a
reasonable doubt.  

In Walter Scott's "Personality Parade," being gay is much like being a
criminal defendant.  Between the lines, his message is clear:  homosexuality
is a crime.  

Send feedback to Walter Scott, Box 5001, Grand Central Station, New York, NY
10163-5001.  Copy your complaints to Walter Anderson, Editor, "Parade,"
Parade Publications, 711 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10017.  

OUR TOP STORY TONIGHT . . .

The "Don't' Ask, Don't Tell" policy is back in the news again.  Media
interest has been heightened by a strongly-worded court ruling against the
policy, as well a "surprise" announcement from Newt Gingrich.  The Speaker of
the House has announced his plans for reinstating a total ban on lesbians and
gays in the military.

In a front-page article on the Gingrich plan ("Gingrich Is Seeking To Restore
Gay Ban In Military Services," April 3), "The New York Times" reported that
the current policy "requires gay service members to keep their sexual
orientations private."  Reporter Katharine Seelye's phrasing is imprecise and
misleading.  It would have been more accurate to report that the current
policy requires service members to keep their homosexuality "hidden" or
"secret."  The ban does not enforce privacy, but silence; the policy does not
promote discretion, but encourages unhealthy deception and denial.
 Furthermore, many lesbian and gay people who are open and out are also
"private" when it comes to the particulars of their individual sex lives.
 But even that "privacy" is illegal under current military regulations.     

Recently, Federal District Court Judge Eugene Nickerson declared the "Don't'
Ask, Don't Tell" policy unconstitutional.  In his eloquent ruling, he noted:
 "Hitler taught the world what could happen when the government began to
target people not for what they had done, but because of their status."

Nickerson's ruling was the subject of numerous articles, and also prompted a
spate of editorials in the national press.  The "Philadelphia Daily News"
offered exuberant praise for the ruling.  In an April 1 editorial ("In Our
Opinion"), the newspaper declared:  "Too bad for Newt Gingrich, the lover of
all things Victorian and shameful. A federal judge has just removed the only
genuine piece of Victorian sexual hypocrisy in government.  U.S. District
Judge Eugene Nickerson . . .  deserves a smart salute for dismissing this
government-sanctioned perjury."

The "Miami Herald" editorial ("Unsteady Step to Equality") generally
supported lifting the current restrictions.  But, the newspaper took issue
with the free speech focus of Judge Nickerson's ruling.  According to the
"Herald:"  "The core principle -- that gays should be permitted to serve and
should be left alone about their private lives -- is sound. But the rationale
for that conclusion should not be so sweeping or so fueled by emotion that it
jeopardizes the military's essential discipline . . . .   Surely the
military, in pursuit of necessary conformity and cohesion, has more than the
usual right to regulate all forms of comportment while on duty -- including
speech. Would the judge advocate letting enlisted personnel say whatever they
wish?" 

The newspaper's editors also argued that:  "Unfortunately, (Nickerson)
compared the policy to Hitler's Final Solution, a bit of melodramatic
hyperbole that undermined his argument.  Nobody, after all, ever suggested
that gays in the military be gassed.  Rhetorical comparisons to Hitler and
the Holocaust are preposterous."

The "Herald" failed to grasp two points that seem to vex many journalists.
 First, there's an insidious "Catch 22 here, which is seldom considered by
those who claim lesbian and gay speech "disrupts military discipline."
 Lesbians and gays are asked to be silent because our  "words" are
disturbing.  BUT, our words are disturbing PRECISELY because we have been
systematically silenced.  NOT talking PUBLICLY (and honestly) about
homosexuality simply breeds homophobia.

Second, the "Herald's" criticism of Nickerson's "hyperbole" confuses bigotry
and bigots.  Hitler's homophobia is not unique; how he was able to act on his
hate is.  Though they might express it differently, individual homophobes
share the same bigotry, and making that comparison is hardly an act of
"melodramatic hyperbole."  Whether they like it or not, all homophobes have
something in common with Hitler. 

Send comments to Katharine Q. Seelye, "The New York Times," 229 W. 43rd
Street, New York, NY 10036, tel. 212-556-1234, fax 212-556-3690.  Letters to
the Editor, "Philadelphia Daily News," 400 N. Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
19101.  Letters to the Editor, "Miami Herald," 1 Herald Plaza, Miami, FL
33132, e-mail [email-masked].

WRONG ON RIGHTS

Politically-active homophobes have been remarkably successful with their
"special rights" rhetoric.  In campaign after campaign, bigots claim that
they are opposed only to "special rights for homosexuals"  Of course, they
are actually opposed to EQUAL rights for lesbian and gay citizens.  This
point -- however obvious -- is often lost in the press coverage.

A recent example of the "special rights" ploy is "Initiative 166," filed
March 8 in the state of Washington.  This initiative is titled "An Act
Relating to Prohibiting Special Rights for Homosexuals."  An opening
paragraph of the proposed legislation declares that "equal protection of the
law, not special rights, is a fundamental principle of constitutional
government and is essential to the well-being and perpetuation of a free
society."  However, further paragraphs reveal that this initiative has little
to do with any "special" rights.

Initiative 166 would require that "homosexuality, bisexuality,
transsexuality, or transvestism are not presented, promoted, or approved as
positive, healthy, or appropriate behavior" in public schools.  Furthermore,
" a school, through any employee, volunteer, guest, or other means or
instrumentality, shall not present, promote, or approve homosexuality,
bisexuality, transsexuality, or transvestism, or any such conduct, act,
practice, or relationship, as a positive, healthy, or appropriate behavior or
lifestyle."  In other words, only heterosexuality is positive or healthy.
 What "special" right is being prohibited here?

This legislation would grant schools the very special right to teach hatred
toward queers.  Under this initiative, textbooks would be outlawed if they
provided accurate biographies of Eleanor Roosevelt or Galilleo.  Counselors
could never affirm the dignity of lesbian or gay youth.  For showing a video
tape that featured FACTUAL information about sexual orientation, teachers
would become criminals. 

Initiative 166 would also deny queer citizens any "public benefit," "marital,
spousal, parental, familial, or domestic . . . status," or "claim of
discrimination."  Clearly, there is nothing special about the  right to keep
a job, raise children, have housing, form a family, or simply be served food
in a restaurant.

Like other hate initiatives, the Washington effort takes dead aim at lesbian
and gay civil rights.  It is yet another attempt to legislate INEQUALITY
under the law.  Hopefully, the press will dutifully expose this and other
"special rights" deceptions.

Contact local and national news media and ask that they competently cover
this story.  Send letters to the editor of "The Seattle Times," P.O. Box 70,
Seattle, WA 98111, tel. 206-464-3730, e-mail [email-masked].  Also, you
can request a guide to "Countering Right-Wing Rhetoric" from the National Gay
& Lesbian Task Force, 1734 14th Street NW, Washington, DC 20009, tel.
202-332-6483, fax 202-332-0207, TTY 202-332-6219, e-mail [email-masked]; you
might send a copy to your favorite editor or reporter.  Internet users can
access the full text of Initiative 166 at gopher://leginfo.leg.wa.gov. 

MEDIA BRIEFS

*   Air Pollution Alert . . .   There seems to be no shortage of homophobic
radio announcers stinking up the nation's airwaves.  The latest report comes
from Seattle, where KZOK's Robin Erickson used her morning shift to explain
why lesbians are disgusting.  Remarking that a national magazine planed to
feature a cover photo of Melissa Etheridge (showing the singer embracing her
lover), Erickson said she would be repulsed by such an image.  Send feedback
to Steve Slayton, Program Manager, KZOK-FM, 200 W. Mercer Street, Suite 304,
98119, tel. 206-281-5600 or 800-252-1025, fax 206-281-5605.

*   On A Personal Note . . .   Journalist Rex Wockner reports that the San
Diego "Union-Tribune" newspaper is (at last) re-evaluating its policy
regarding "personals" advertising.  Currently, people seeking same-sex
romance must advertise under the heading "Seeking Just A Friend," and they
cannot use the words "lesbian" or "gay.'  Meanwhile, opposite-sex seekers can
place their ads under the headings "Men Seeking Women" and "Women Seeking
Men."  The newspaper is reportedly on the verge of dropping this homophobic
double standard.  Contact Doug Hope, Managing Editor, and Erin Coates,
Classifieds Director, "Union-Tribune," P.O. Box 191, San Diego, CA
92112-4106, tel. 619-299-3131, fax 619-293-1440, e-mail
[email-masked].

*   Homo Video . . .   Frameline, a distributor of lesbian and gay films and
presenter of the San Francisco International Lesbian and Gay Film Festival,
has announced a "Lesbian and Gay Cinema Collection;" these "home videos" are
available directly to the public.  For information, call 800-439-1433.

*   School Book . . .   Stories from high school and college students are
being sought for a new book "about the impact and influence of
gay/lesbian/bisexual teachers and professors on their students and on the
educational system in general."  Contact Dann Hazel, P.O. Box 781,
Summerville, SC 29484, tel. 803-871-7123, e-mail [email-masked]. 

*   On The Wilde Side . . .   "Wilde" is a new, national magazine for gay men
that -- according to the publisher -- bucks the trend of splitting apart
"sexual" and "cultural" content.  The magazine promises to offer "challenging
journalism" without sacrificing "sexual desire."  The premiere issue includes
a discussion of gay images in Hollywood films.  Contact PDA Press, Inc., P.O.
Box 460292, San Francisco, CA 94146.

*   Radio Activity . . .    The National Lesbian & Gay Radio Town Meeting
will be broadcast live, via satellite, on May 7 (8 PM to 10 PM EST).  The
call-in format will feature activists discussing strategies for countering
hate initiatives.  Contact your local radio stations (particularly
public/non-commercial stations) and urge them to air this groundbreaking
broadcast.  Refer radio stations to Bert Wylen, producer of the town meeting,
tel. 215-772-9010.

*   Telling Visions . . .   The Dallas Gay and Lesbian Alliance has produced
"In Our Own Words:  Dispelling The Stereotypes."  The 8 minute video features
28 gay and lesbian individuals who touch upon a range of issues, from teen
suicide to family values.  Contact Dallas Gay and Lesbian Alliance, P.O. Box
190712, Dallas, TX 75219, e-mail [email-masked].

*   Modem Watch . . .   Lesbian supervisor Carole Migden is the first member
of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors to take advantage of new
communications media by establishing an e-mail address directly to her City
Hall office.  She can be reached at [email-masked].

*   A Good Parent . . .   The April '95 issue of "San Francisco-Peninsula
Parent" magazine includes an article on "Teaching Children to Appreciate
Diversity."  Despite some unfortunate references to "alternative lifestyles,"
the author does include ample references to homophobia and the resources
available for combating it.  Significantly, the magazine focuses on young
children (pre-school through grade 8).  Contact Lisa Rosenthal, Editor,
"S.F.-Peninsula Parent," P.O. Box 1280, Millbrae, CA 94030. tel.
415-342-9203, fax 415-342-9276.  

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

WE MUST CONFRONT THE MEDIA'S HOMOPHOBIA IN ORDER TO CURE IT!  TO NOTIFY
GLAAD-SFBA OF ANY DEFAMATORY OR AFFIRMATIVE MEDIA COVERAGE CALL OUR 24-HOUR
MEDIA WATCH HOTLINE AT 415-861-4588, OR WRITE TO "MEDIA WATCH," GAY & LESBIAN
ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION-SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, 1360 MISSION STREET,
SUITE 200, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94103; tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-861-4893,
e-mail [email-masked].

FOUNDED IN 1988,  THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER OF GLAAD IS A
MEMBERSHIP-BASED COMMUNITY ORGANIZATION DEDICATED TO CULTURAL ADVOCACY AND
MEDIA ACTIVISM.  GLAAD-SFBA PROMOTES THE FAIR, ACCURATE AND DIVERSE
REPRESENTATION OF LESBIAN, GAY AND BISEXUAL LIVES IN ALL FORMS OF MASS MEDIA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"MEDIA WATCH" is a weekly report that may be reprinted or posted without
prior permission, provided that, when appropriate, attribution is made to Al
Kielwasser and/or GLAAD-SFBA.  We greatly appreciate copies of any
publications that use all or part of the "MEDIA WATCH."

Thank you for your participation in GLAAD's vital work!