Subject: GLAAD MEDIA WATCH, Jan. 6
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 19:21:12 -0500

MEDIA WATCH
for January 6, 1995

by
AL KIELWASSER
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation,
San Francisco Bay Area

HEAVENLY CARTOONING

Editorial cartoonist (and "Simpsons" creator) Matt Groening has consistently
offered public affirmations of lesbian, gay and bisexual people.  In a recent
installment of his nationally-syndicated cartoon, "Life in Hell, " Groening
expertly deconstructed the political agenda of the 104th Congress.  

Under the title "The New Pledge," Groening provided an annotated version of
the Pledge of Allegiance.  His version reads:  "I pledge allegiance to -- and
wrap myself in -- the flag of the United States Against Anything Un-American,
and to the Republicans for which it stands, two nations, under Jesus, rich
against poor, with curtailed liberty and justice for all (except blacks,
homosexuals, women who want abortions, Communists, welfare queens,
treehuggers, feminazis, illegal immigrants, children of illegal immigrants,
and you if you don't watch your step)."

If your local newspaper carries "Life in Hell," send a letter of support; if
it doesn't, ask for it.  In the Bay Area, "The New Pledge" ran in the San
Francisco Examiner (Dec. 19), Phil Bronstein, Executive Editor, 110 Fifth
Street, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-777-2424, fax 415-777-2525, e-mail
[email-masked]. 

WORTH TALKING ABOUT

Phil Donahue devoted an episode of his popular TV talk show to
lesbian/gay/bisexual teens ("Gay Teens in a Straight World," Dec. 28).  This
urgent subject was treated with exceptional quality (a welcome contrast to
the exploitative approach to queer themes so characteristic of the genre).

While Donahue made the appropriate challenges to homophobic (and
largely-adult) assumptions, he primarily let the lesbian/gay youth tell their
own stories.  The panel represented a variety of life experiences, and
included a gay boy who wore drag to school, a lesbian couple, and teen actor
Wilson Cruz, who plays a gay high school student on the TV series "My
So-Called Life." 

All of the teens were able to make many important, instructive points.  For
example, when an audience member demanded that queers should be better
behaved in order to earn respect, Wilson Cruz replied:  "Respect isn't
something that is earned.  Respect is something that we should all have for
individuals, for being human.  And it's not something that you have to earn
because you are homosexual."

Significantly, Donahue made a point of asking for -- and securing -- a
lesbian perspective.  One young lesbian panelist told how she came out to her
father:  "I sort of explained it to him like this:  'You know those shirts,
Dad, that people are wearing that say "Love Sees No Color," well I'm going to
get one for you that says "Love Sees No Gender," because its, you know, the
same thing.' "

In addition to the teenage panelists, other guests included one of the boy's
parents (a couple earnestly recovering from homophobia) and Carol Gush,
executive Director of SMYAL -- the Sexual Minority Youth Assistance League.
 Gush discussed her program's high-school outreach and queer youth visibility
campaigns; SMYAL's address and telephone number were provided during the
program.

Overall, the broadcast sent out a much-needed picture of kids who are
resilient, powerful, eloquent, and queer.  "How healthy it is that young,
courageous people like yourselves are blazing the way for others," Phil
Donahue concluded.

Send encouraging feedback to Patricia McMillen, Executive Producer,
"Donahue," NBC, 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10012, tel. 212-664-6501,
fax 212-757-5386.  Also, remember that "My So-Called Life" -- the only
network TV series to offer a recurring, contemporary  role model for queer
youth -- is at risk for cancellation by ABC; send supportive letters to Randi
Cohen, ABC Productions, 2020 Avenue of the Stars, 5th Floor, Century City, CA
90067, tel. 310-557-6901, fax 310-557-6147; Marshall Herskovitz & Ed Zwick,
Executive Producers, "My So-Called Life," Bedford Falls Company, 409 Santa
Monica Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90401; e-mail [email-masked]. 

FUNDIE "NEWS":  GAY EARTHQUAKES & LESBIAN FLOODS

When speaking to the mainstream media, "Christian" fundamentalists often do
their best to appear "reasonable."  However, even a cursory glance at
newspapers and other media produced by and for the fundamentalist community
reveals a very different picture.  The pretense of "reason" gives way to the
irrational fears and insane hatred that are the hallmarks of homophobia.

A recent issue of "The Bay Area Christian News" is illustrative.  In an
article title "God's Warning to America," John McTevnan explains that "a
careful study of . . . disasters, especially the stock market crash and major
earthquakes (six of the top eleven earthquakes this century) reveals that
they occurred in connection with abortion and/or homosexual related events."

According to McTevnan, the October 11, 1987 lesbian/gay March on Washington
caused the October 19, 1987 stock market crash.  He also explains that:
  "Gay Pride Day 1993 brought monumental judgment from God.  During the
entire Spring of 1993, heavy rains fell on the Midwest.  As 'Gay Pride Day'
approached . . . the rains increased until . . . the Mississippi and Missouri
Rivers overflowed their banks like a bathtub full of water."     

McTevnan also lists a number of homosexual-related tremors -- quakes for
queers.  He writes, for example, that "On June 28, 1992, hundreds of
thousands attended national 'Gay Pride day' parades throughout America.  On
the very morning of the parade, powerful earthquakes hit southern
California."  He further reports that the 1989 Northern California earthquake
allowed millions to watch the shaking of sinful San Francisco (a sort of
media event staged by God?).

Significantly, McTevnan suggests that such earthquakes are the answers to
"Christian" prayers.  He writes:  "On January 17, 1994, the Los Angeles Area
was rocked by a powerful 6.6 earthquake. . . .  On January 16, 1994, over
50,000 churches in America were praying to end abortion."  Perhaps its a
short step from praying for someone's death by disaster to actually firing a
gun at the "sinner's" head.

The mainstream media must be encouraged to investigate and report on such
displays of bigoted blood-lust; this "fundie news" should be front-page news,
allowing the light of public scrutiny to shine on the darker recesses and
realities of homophobia.

Further information on combating Right Wing/fundamentalist activities is
available from such national organizations as People for the American Way
(2000 M Street NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036, tel. 202-467-4999, fax
202-293-2672) ) and the "Fight the Right Project" of the National Gay &
Lesbian Task Force (2320 Seventeenth Street NW, Washington, DC 20009, tel.
202-332-6483, fax 202-332-0207, e-mail [email-masked].).  "The Bay Area
Christian News" can be contacted at P.O. Box 25473, San Mateo, CA 94402, fax
415-349-6321.

KSFO:  Talk About Bad News . . .

Radio station KSF0 (560 AM) recently announced a format change that does not
bode well for lesbians, gays and bisexuals in the San Francisco Bay Area.
 The station has begun to broadcast conservative talk shows, 24 hours a day.
 The new format -- which might best be described as "bigotry broadcasting" --
is expected to cater to homophobic, racist, classist and sexist tastes.

Last summer, KSFO was purchased for $17 million by local radio giant KGO
(which is part of the even larger Capital Cities/ABC media empire).  Now, KGO
executives are convinced that bigotry broadcasting is the best way to profit
from their investment.  Edward Epstein, a reporter from the "San Francisco
Chronicle," explained:  "In going conservative, KSFO follows a proven
national trend, in which conservatives have come to dominate the radio talk
show industry." 

The official press release announcing the KSFO format change stated this
theme a bit more bluntly.  The release was headlined:  "Out:  Political
Correctness, Liberal Media, the Democratic Party.  In:  KSFO HotTalk 560."

"KSFO HateTalk 560" would be a more accurate slogan.  Among the hosts already
lined up by the station are Pat Buchanan (frequent critic of "godless
homosexuality"), Michael Savage (local homophobe, who rails against such
fantasies as the "homosexual control" of public broadcasting), and J. Paul
Emerson (the DJ recently fired from KFRC for his relentless on-air racism).

If ever there was a station to drop a house on, KSFO is it.  Share your
thoughts with Mickey Luckoff, General Manager, KGO/KSFO, 900 Front Street,
San Francisco, CA 94111, tel. 415-398-5600 or 415-954-8100, fax 415-391-2795;
Robert Iger, President and CEO, Capital Cities/ABC, Inc., 77 W. 66th Street,
New York, NY 10021, fax 212-456-1419.  

MEDIA BRIEFS

* Media Activists, Unite!:  The Bay Area Media Advocacy Coalition (BAMAC)
"promotes positive and realistic portrayals, increased visibility and
balanced images of diverse groups in the media, focusing on race/ethnicity,
age, gender, religion, sexual orientation and disabilities."  For further
information, contact BAMAC, c/o The National Conference, 965 Mission St.,
Suite 430, San Francisco, CA 94103-2921, tel. 415-541-0102, fax 415-541-0271.

* Dated News:  "A Bay Area Progressive Calendar" is a unique and essential
fact sheet, offering subscribers a weekly listing of events in the queer,
women's, people of color, labor, disability, and other progressive
communities.  For details, contact Ken Cheetham, P.O. Box 11232, Berkeley, CA
94712-2232, tel. 510-848-9862, fax 510-843-9521, e-mail [email-masked].

* Directory Assistance:  "You Are Not Alone" is a directory of more than 200
organizations serving lesbian, gay and bisexual youth.  For ordering
information, contact "Directory," Hetrick-Martin Institute, 2 Astor Place,
3rd Fl., New York, NY 10003.

* Textbook Defense:  Two national organizations -- which support lesbian and
gay literature in the classroom -- offer advice and help should a teacher run
into censorship challenges.  Contact:  The American Library Association's
Office of Intellectual Freedom (312-280-4223) and the National Council of
Teachers of English Intellectual Freedom Wing (217-328-3870).

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

WE MUST CONFRONT THE MEDIA'S HOMOPHOBIA IN ORDER TO CURE IT!  TO NOTIFY 
GLAAD/SFBA OF ANY DEFAMATORY OR AFFIRMATIVE MEDIA COVERAGE CALL OUR 24-HOUR
MEDIA WATCH HOTLINE AT 415-861-4588, OR WRITE TO "MEDIA WATCH," GAY & LESBIAN
ALLIANCE AGAINST DEFAMATION/SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER, 1360 MISSION
STREET, SUITE 200, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94103; tel. 415-861-2244, fax
415-861-4893, e-mail GLAAD [email-masked].

FOUNDED IN 1988,  THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA CHAPTER OF GLAAD IS A
MEMBERSHIP-
BASED COMMUNITY ORGANIZATION DEDICATED TO CULTURAL ADVOCACY AND MEDIA
ACTIVISM.  GLAAD/SFBA PROMOTES THE FAIR, ACCURATE AND DIVERSE REPRESENTATION
OF LESBIAN, GAY AND BISEXUAL LIVES IN ALL FORMS OF MASS MEDIA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"MEDIA WATCH" is a weekly report that may be published or posted without
permission, provided that, when appropriate, attribution is made to Al
Kielwasser and/or GLAAD-SFBA.  We greatly appreciate copies of any
publications that use all or part of the "MEDIA WATCH."

Thank you for your interest in and support of GLAAD's vital work!